at 7pm. An 18-year-old man and a juvenile student are facing criminal charges after a handgun was found inside a students car at Colleyville Heritage High School on Tuesday. She tries to focus on the things shes helped accomplish. People know each other. Clark said Whitfield was encouraging the disruption and destruction of our district because Whitfield, the high school's first Black principal, wrote a letter to the community during the summer of 2020 detailing how hurt he was over the deaths of three Black Americans: George Floyd in Minnesota, Breonna Taylor in Kentucky and Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia. I wonder who it was.. He meant half the players who mattered were juicing. Notifications can be turned off anytime in the browser settings. Per Pupil Expenditures: $9,925. Her discovery. At that moment, it didnt seem like an earth-shattering admission. James Whitfield, principal of. Kids had easy access to steroids, athletes were using them, and high school administrators were in denial. He marched into his mothers room and paced in front of her. Then, two weeks later, Bryan left a movie theater on a weekend night. Bryan had to lie, even to friends who sidled up to him in private and asked if he was the one. Among other things, SB 3 bans schools from making political activism part of a course and says teachers may not be compelled to talk about a widely debated and currently controversial issue of public policy or social affairs.. The school district has called the photos questionable for an educator, especially a principal or administrator, and they said it has nothing to do with race. At a board meeting a few weeks before last weeks, the parent group accused Whitfield by name which is against school board meeting rules. A few parents blamed Lewis for making this an issue. CNN A high school principal in North Texas who was placed on leave after being publicly accused of promoting critical race theory has agreed to leave his role. 5401 Heritage Ave. Colleyville, TX 76034-5919. Who is available? Colleyville Heritage High School 5401 Heritage Avenue Colleyville, TX 76034 P 817-305-4700 F 817-358-4765 Sitting in her living room, Lewis moans slightly and puts her head down when her son explains what his life is like now: I just want this to be over, Bryan, 17, says. Some of the photos the district received contained poses that are questionable for an educator, especially a principal or administrator. At Colleyville Heritage High, students rushed to defend James Whitfield, who has been accused of embracing critical race theory and is in danger of being fired. The 18-year-old was arrested on charges of trespassing on school grounds and having a weapon in a place where its prohibited. Then, one evening the Courier reporter called Lewis and asked if he could pass along her phone number to two reporters with the Dallas Morning News who were working on a series of stories examining steroid use in high schools all across North Texas. Colleyville Heritage High School principal James Whitfield has been placed on paid administrative leave, according to Grapevine-Colleyville . Its why she doesnt let me talk to, or even see, her husband and younger daughter. "What he's done is said listen, we teach lots of different types of kids. Many in town obviously dont take the steroids problem seriously. 562. Officers on the scene have "the individual involved detained.". The Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District, a wealthy suburban district northeast of Fort Worth, said eight seniors and one junior admitted using the performance-enhancing drugs for a short period last spring. (Even though, technically, its in Euless.) Bryan is used to getting in trouble with his mom. It didnt take long for more questions to come. The driver came after him. "When a social media concern is brought to the attention of the district, we have a responsibility to review it. Mother and son had always been close, though. GRAPEVINE, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) - Dozens of students and parents rallied outside Grapevine-Colleyville ISD's school board meeting Monday night, August 23, to show support for Colleyville. (Everyone already knew, she says.) That person was reported to the Colleyville police, she said. Weve always been close, but since this, its been tough. Since then, the district has stressed the move has nothing to do. As a new campus principal, we wanted to provide a smooth transition for Dr. Whitfield to Heritage Middle School, which is why we advised him of the concern and made a request for the photos to be taken down from Facebook.". The story said one boy admitted to using them. She didnt feel proud that shed proven the school wrong. James Whitfield, 43, principal at Colleyville Heritage High School, has been placed on leave by the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD after being accused of teaching critical race theory at his. He hopes he starts, he says. Going forward, Whitfield believes his work in education isnt done. They had a problem and needed to know about it, for the kids safety. Whitfield wrote that the allegations were connected to a 2019 presentation he took part in as middle school principal on Breaking the Barriers that addressed peoples differences. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. He talked quickly, stumbling over his words, trying to explain his reasoning. According to their story, Cunningham went on a 15-minute rant and blamed the then-unidentified mother for creating this problem. A new study says yes. It ate at her. 5401 Heritage Avenue, Colleyville, TX 76034. Lewis was convinced the tiny bottle held heroin, unaware that most illicit drugs are not sold with pharmaceutical labels. The scandal at CHHS, as well as the well-publicized suicide of a student-athlete in Plano, Texas resulted in the implementation of random drug testing by the University Interscholastic League in 2007. In hindsight, of course I should have just called them. The architects of the theory argue that the United States was founded on the theft of land and labor and that federal law has preserved the unequal treatment of people on the basis of race. Whitfield reached an agreement with Grapevine-Colleyville ISD after being accused of teaching critical race theory at his high school and placed on administrative leave. We have established procedures for that which we are following.". The school district announced Monday,. Some parents learned about the photo incident when they read Whitfields account on Facebook. The agreement seemingly puts an end to Whitfields arduous battle with the school district that date backs to July 26, when he was first accused of teaching critical race theory during a Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District school board meeting by Stetson Clark, a former candidate for the district's school board. Perhaps that would spur someone to investigate the problem more aggressively. Its bad enough they identified her as a cheerleader. But Colleyville police Detective Hillary Wreay said her department has received no information from the school on the alleged sale or distribution of steroids and has no investigation in progress. Im gonna kick your ass.. Here is a look at the Top 3 girls teams in Class 5A. Last Monday, August 23, students gathered at a school board meeting to express their support for Whitfield. At least hes not a drug addict, she thought. It had absolutely nothing to do with race. August 30, 2021 / 5:42 PM Lewis told Beal she was left with no choice but to take her story to the media. Whatever. But James Whitfield said he took it to mean the issue was he was in an interracial relationship. Thats how competitive it is.. She said that many other football players were using them, and her son told her that, because many players knew about it, the coaches either knew and didnt care or didnt want to know so they didnt ask how players had made sudden increases in strength and size. In response to written questions from Jones and Jacobson, the district acknowledged that nine CHHS football players, eight seniors and one junior, had admitted to using steroids. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Under mounting pressure from district officials, local and national media, and law enforcement, a total of nine other CHHS athletes confessed to use of steroids and other PEDs. CHHS is a big school, with more than 2,200 students and an operating budget of $136.5 million for the. No, she said. On the bus, she read, careful not to catch anyones eye. Scholars developed it during the 1970s and 1980s in response to what they viewed as a lack of racial progress following the civil rights legislation of the 1960s. When Bryan got to school on Monday, it didnt take long to see that his cover had been blown. Hes not happy that Im still talking to the media. [2] Colleyville Heritage High School celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2006. Why would he use steroids? Theres SO much, but I am beyond humbled by the kindness, support, love, & encouragement being shown to me and my family, he said in a tweet. But he said trouble began as far back as 2019 when someone complained to administrators he was setting a "bad example" by posting pictures of himself kissing his wife on Facebook. The theory's central idea is that racism is not something restricted to individuals, but that bias is something embedded in policies and legal systems. Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District. The tough drug-testing program that Grapevine-Colleyville has adopted. She was still at her sales conference. She didnt take long to make her decision: Bring it on.. 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. Some in the district have accused him of implementing critical race theory in the classroom. Join us today so we can achieve that goal! Colleyville Heritage High School is a public high school of the Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District located in Colleyville, TX. They are: 1. "They said, 'Could you take it down? Copyright 2023, D Magazine Partners, Inc. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. It's something he and the district have denied. The University Interscholastic League, which sets rules for competition in Texas high school sports, has no policy on steroids. Beal asked her to come into the school for a talk. Had that photo been the only image, there would have been no request to remove it., In the superintendents letter Monday, Ryan told parents that the entire District leadership team and I are fully committed to the success and well-being of Colleyville Heritage students as we move forward together.. She hurried downstairs and called the pharmacy at the nearby Walgreens. I am the first African American to assume the role of Principal at my current school in its 25-year history, and I am keenly aware of how much fear this strikes in the hearts of a small minority who would much rather things go back to the way they used to be, he wrote. 817-305-4717. In June, Lewis scheduled to have her lawn mowed by a Mid Cities fireman who runs a small lawn-care company. Feeder schools for Colleyville Heritage High School: Elementary: How long did you do it? Thank you for spreading love! Get the latest breaking news from North Texas and beyond. The school is a part of the Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District and serves freshmen through senior students in Colleyville and the surrounding areas of Tarrant County. Never missed one, she says proudly. Lewis begged him to calm down. She opened it wide and turned it to the light. He wrote on Facebook that he could not ask others to speak up if he wont and just because I am a school administrator that does not take away my rights and ability to be human and defend myself.. Dr. James Whitfield has been on administrative leave since late August. Texas Teacher of the Year keeps focus on students to drown out political noise, 'Its about a happy classroom': Garland ISD focusing on social emotional learning. As a new campus principal, we wanted to provide a smooth transition for Dr. Whitfield to Heritage Middle School, which is why we advised him of the concern and made a request for the photos to be taken down from Facebook, it added. The man, Stetson Clark, narrowly lost a school board race in May to the incumbent, Becky St. John. They could not tell anyone her identityor else, as she put it, I will sue you. Given the extreme care administrators used with her identity in e-mail correspondence during the next few months (obtained by D Magazine), they took her threat seriously. But she acknowledges that if shed known then how her city would turn against her, how her son would become ostracized by other kids, how her motives would be mocked on radio and television, how her actions would be second-guessed by police, it would have given her pause. Colleyville Heritage High School principal James Whitfield has been placed on paid administrative leave, according to Grapevine-Colleyville ISD officials. Whitfield's wife Kerrie said she took the photo to mean a black man with a tattoo on his arm was inappropriate. I think it's silly, I can't see why a husband and wife can't have a picture of them in a sweet moment.". Ive told you everything I know. Lewis wanted to get up and walk out, but she stayed put, stayed silent. He says that many of the football players at Colleyville were introduced to steroids by someone from a nearby rival. ", "Anything that has to do with being inclusive, having a safe and nurturing environment for all students, they want to attach that to CRT, because it's the boogeyman buzzword of the day," added Whitfield. The median household income tops $150,000. Read more about this topic: Colleyville Heritage High School, Athletics, And therefore, as when there is a controversy in an account, the parties must by their own accord, set up for right Reason, the Reason of some Arbitrator, or Judge, to whose sentence, they will both stand, or their controversy must either come to blows, or be undecided, for want of a right Reason constituted by Nature; so is it also in all debates of what kind soever.Thomas Hobbes (15791688), Bret Boone - Professional Career - Legacy -. Lewis was dumbfounded. The professionally shot photos, which were provided to People magazine by the Grapevine-Colleyville school district, show the couple in an intimate pose on a beach. All she does is shake her head and say, The parents in this town Shes already seen how it has enveloped Bryan. Arent they illegal now? The driver said he was friends with one of the players who used steroids. Colleyville Heritage High School Principal James Whitfield opened up in a lengthy Facebook post on July 31 about the incident from 2019 shortly after he had been promoted to the top post at the middle school. I do miss some of my friends from Heritage, he says. Website. 4:25 PM on Mar 1, 2022 CST Updated at 8:58 PM on Mar 1, 2022 CST. It was too quiet, she says. The Colleyville kids rarely venture far from home. ABSENCES. This one held something. It had absolutely nothing to do with race., The photo that aired in initial media reports was not the only photo that was received by the District, Kristin Snively, executive director of communications for the district, wrote in an email to The Dallas Morning News. The district told WFAA again Friday that the decision has nothing to. Welcome to the Colleyville Heritage PTSA Facebook Page intended to keep our parents, teachers, and students current on upcoming events and opportunities CHHS PTA is a noncommercial, nonsectarian, nonpartisan association that does not endorse any candidate or political party. Eric Celeste is the editor at Spirit, the inflight magazine of Southwest Airlines. We will not sit silently while these individuals continue their bigoted attacks. Our membership goal is 1 voice for every student! Colleyville Heritage High School Principal James Whitfield has faced sharp criticism from some parents who are accusing him of teaching critical race theory. HERE IS PART OF ABC CHANNEL 8 SPORTS director Dale Hansens on-air editorial from April 19, the day Lewis filed a lawsuit against Coach Chris Cunningham for slander, asking for $1.5 million in damages. So I wouldnt feel comfortable mowing your lawn.. That Friday after the story had come out, near midnight, Bryan got a call on his cell phone. "If they do proceed with firing him, I hope the administration knows that these people aren't going anywhere," fellow student Sunehra Chowdhury said of the students who walked out of class. What did you expect him to say? It was early afternoon on Wednesday, September 22, and the Colleyville mother, after putting away the jeans, noticed a black leather bag. Overall Score 89.05 /100. Lewis is suing because Cunningham told the Morning News she was a liar and a crazy mom. "I look at the picture, and I look at the words above it, and it says, 'Is this the Dr. Whitfield we want leading our schools?' Its he and his beautiful wife, they have a beautiful family, Sunni Roppollo, who has children at Colleyville Heritage High, told KXAS, adding that there was no reason to censor him.I chalk it up to educators are held to a different standard, unfortunately. I think its silly, I cant see why a husband and wife cant have a picture of them in a sweet moment, she said. The school district announced Monday, August 30, Colleyville Heritage High Principal Dr. James Whitfield was placed on paid administrative leave. They even went to football games, sat in the stands, and made a list of the players who looked like they might be using steroids, based on the common signs: acne, muscular definition, rage. Can you hide it?' CHHS has several sub-administrators who are given students to oversee based on last name. ", "Nothing he's done has anything to do with critical race theory," said civil rights attorney David Henderson ofEllwanger Law, which is supporting Whitfield. That was months ago. Nov. 10, 20215 PM Central. Sort of. If a student must be absent from school a parent should call or email the school Attendance Office, the day of the absence, to report the student's name and the reason. Not one day has gone by that I havent had to deal with this or talk about it to someone. Perhaps it goes without saying but producing quality journalism isn't cheap. Lewis jumped in her car and raced the two miles to CHHS. There were several long pauses, she says. As part of a settlement between Whitfield and the district, he will remain on paid administrative leave until then. When he decided not to play (and when he noticed acne on his back during the family vacation in Florida), he stopped. It was at this moment that I knew the attack that we currently endure, was coming, the principal wrote on Facebook.
Fiskars Up53 Rope Change, Val Stanton Heartland Dies, Sharon Tate Favorite Music, Dignity Obituaries Jacksonville, Fl, Articles C