While there she developed and executed technical assistance and training to JFO staff and coordinate resolutions of discrimination and accessibility issues. I Need To Know What 'Very Bland' Opinion Got J.K. Rowling Kicked Out of a Harry Potter Forum, Disney Found a Way To Make Us Care About Peter Pan Again, 'The Mandalorian' Makes It Pretty Clear Where Gina Carano's Cara Dune Went, 'Quantumania' Writer Shares Painful Thoughts on All the Negative Reviews, Is Grogu Related to Yoda? I'm delighted by the growing It's hard to wrap your mind around it when you see it on paper. [13], Notably, Gordon was deployed to Baton Rouge, Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 where she served as the disability and elderly populations civil rights subject matter expert at the Joint Field Office (JFO). $200 per post at $10/CPM. Claudia L. Gordon is the first deaf Black female attorney in the United States and the first deaf graduate of American University's law school. YOU HAVE 20,000 FOLLOWERS: $100 per post at a $5/CPM. One of these activities is the mock trial sponsored by the American Bar Association. [2] Prior to joining the telecom industry, Gordon held various roles in the public sector from 2002 to 2017most notably as the associate director in the White House Office of Public Engagement, where she advised White House offices and senior officials including former President Barack Obama on disability issues. Use WeCos Library. Benally is also involved with the National Congress of American Indians, Disability Sub-Committee. Her career began as an AmeriCorps member and 2nd grade teacher in Pascagoula, Mississippi. What I do know is that the life of this woman ostracized as dummy almost became my own but for my mothers triumph in successfully bringing me to America by the time I was eleven years old. When I suddenly lost my ability to hear at the age of eight, I was taken out of school and kept at home to perform chores. See Claudia L. Gordon full list of movies and tv shows from their career. grew up in Jamaica, and when she went deaf at the age of eight, she was pulled from school because it was believed that her disability prevented her from learning. It's time to renew your membership and keep access to free CLE, valuable publications and more. Maude Baggetto is in the Office of Public Engagement focusing on Women and Girls. First Name Claudia #8. When she immigrated to America -- the South Bronx --she kept right on working to ensure that within a few years she would be reunited with her three children, whom she had left in the care of her eldest sister, my aunt Mildred Taylor. Previously, Claudia was a Planning & Performance Mo nitoring Officer at HEART Trust/NTA and also held positions at Lexington School for the Deaf, Goje Frozen Yogurt, Department of Homeland Security. Model Born in Rhode Island. In 1995, Gordon graduated with honors from Howard University. My life changed overnight, she said in an interview later in lifewith the White House. While in her eldest sisters care, Claudia suddenly developed severe pain in her middle ears and was taken to a small clinic. In an interview she makes a point that there was a deaf intern working in the White House before her, and that there are currently other deaf people working in less prestigious positions in the White House, Claudia Gordon has been active in both the black deaf community and the broader disability community. Claudia L. Gordon is the first deaf Black female attorney in the United States. We'll be in touch with the latest information on how President Biden and his administration are working for the American people, as well as ways you can get involved and help our country build back better. Love Island 2023 star Claudia finds herself confronting Casey yet again (Image: ITV/REX/Shutterstock). By joining TV Guide, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. One problem we still find is that those who create emergency preparedness plans need to realize that the disability community is not homogeneous. [11], After law school, Gordon was awarded a two-year fellowship with Skadden Fellowship Foundation. During the Obama-Biden Administration, Gordon served as the Chief of Staff for the U.S. Department of Labors Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and the Associate Director of Public Engagement for the White House Office of Public Engagement.Adding to Gordons professional expertise is her lived experience as an immigrant at the intersections of race, disability, and gender, which is the foundation for the strong emphasis on disabled individuals with multiple marginalized identities that she brings to her work. After law school, she was a staff attorney for the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center and a consulting attorney with the National Council on Disability. This discrimination is what inspired her to become a lawyer. She was instrumental in drafting and implementing an executive order on Individuals with Disabilities in Emergency Preparedness. Gordon is also associated with the National Coalition for Disability Rights , where she is part of their national governance. This is long overdue. My mother was my most influential role model. Recently, what has been new and exciting about your work? None of the doctors did anything to really help or make clear what was going on. American University Washington College of Law, American University, Washington College of Law, United States Department of Homeland Security, Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, American Association of People with Disabilities, United States Secretary of Homeland Security, List of first women lawyers and judges in the United States, "Employee Spotlight: Disability Awareness Starts with All of Us and Benefits All of Us TMobile Newsroom", "Meet the Women of the Administration: Claudia Gordon", "Claudia Gordon: America's First Deaf Black Woman Lawyer is Jamaican Born", "Claudia Gordon: 1st African American Female Deaf Lawyer", "NCD Applauds Appointment of Claudia Gordon as Public Engagement Advisor at the White House", "Skadden Fellows | Skadden Fellowship Foundation", "Disability Rights Campaigner, Claudia Gordon, joins DeafKidz International as Global Ambassador", "Trustee Appointed to White House Office of Public Engagement", "President Obama Announces Presidential Delegation to Attend the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Paralympic Summer Games", "Previous AAPD Paul G. Hearne Emerging Leader Award Recipients", "| U.S. Claudia L. Gordon is Director of Government and Compliance with T-Mobile Accessibility a Business Unit within T-Mobile that offers communication products and services to reduce or eliminate communication barriers for customers with disabilities. Born on April 12 #43. People named Claudia L Gordon. Claudia was a member of the Obama Administration from December 2009 to January 2017 initially serving as Special Assistant to the Director of the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) and then as OFCCP's Chief of Staff. As the first deaf black female attorney in the United States, Claudia Gordon recounts her childhood in the West Indies, her search for identity while grappling with audism in a hearing college, and her ongoing quest to create spaces in society for seldom-heard voices. More awards and honors came at American University, where Gordon was an Equal Justice Foundation Fellow, had the Myers Law Scholarship, and the J. Franklin Bourne Scholarship. [12], Gordon's career in the public sector started with the National Council on Disability, where she was a consulting attorney. I did not realize until years later that a woman who everyone in my town knew as dummy, and who children my age would incessantly harass with stone throwing, was deaf. See Claudia L Gordon's compensation, career history, education, & memberships. At AU, Gordon specialized in disability rights law and policy. $140 per post at $7/CPM. Quick search hundreds of articles, documents and resources. A one-size-fits-all emergency preparedness and response approach for people with disabilities does not take into account that, for example, that those who are deaf have one set of needs when a catastrophe strikes, while those with mobility impairments have a whole other set of needs, Gordon stated, this misperception can be corrected by having planners understand that you cant indentify someone as simply having a disability. You need to go beyond their essence, look at the functional limitations their disability creates, and then make a plan to address those practical limitations., For those with disabilities, Claudia offers the following emergency preparedness advice: Make sure you and your family are prepared. As she became deaf during the summer, the school and her parents decided that Claudia couldn't go back to school in the fall. #ESQ @tmobile DEI #Obama44 Alum @Howard1867 Alum #AlphaMadeDST #ProudJamaican #Fashionista #TEDx Sign Up. Senior Accessibility Strategy Partner at T-Mobile Speaker, Consultant, Mentor Seen in Obama White House, Google, BBC, Washington Post, and TED Talk ("Owning Otherness"). After becoming deaf, Gordon experienced discrimination in Jamaica as deaf and disabled persons are stigmatized. grew up in Jamaica, and when she went deaf at the age of eight, she was pulled from school because it was believed that her disability prevented her from learning. Claudia Gordon is the third featured guest in the Council on Women and Girls: Meet the Women of the Administration series. WASHINGTON Today, President Biden announced his intent to appoint the following individuals to serve as members on the National Council on Disability: National Council on DisabilityNational Council on Disability (NCD) is an independent federal agency charged with advising the President, Congress, and other federal agencies regarding policies, programs, practices, and procedures that affect people with disabilities. Previously she held a position in the White House Office of Public Engagement as the Public Engagement Advisor to the Disability Community for less than a year I dealt with discrimination and oppression on a daily basis. No one gets here by him or herself so I am grateful to a lot of people. She was kept at home to do chores instead. Yes, its a cumbersome name thats all-too-typical of Federal speak. And though its not as well known as its sister agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Civil Rights Division at the Department of Justice, OFCCP has powerful investigative and regulatory authorities for protecting workers, promoting diversity and enforcing the law.The agency was born out of the landmark civil rights laws of the 1960s and over its 45-year history has expanded in authority to include protections for women, veterans and people with disabilities. See Photos. Gordon has held senior leadership positions with Sprint Corporation, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the National Council on Disability, and the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center. from Johns Hopkins University.Emily Voorde, Member, National Council on DisabilityEmily Voorde is an Associate Director with NEWCO Strategies, a full-service strategic consulting firm that helps progressive campaigns, organizations, and companies achieve their goals. Shortly thereafter, Claudia's mother brought her to the United States in search of opportunities for her daughter. For her unrelenting commitment to advocacy, compliance, civic engagement, and mentoring, Gordon has been recognized by the American Association of People with Disabilities, Google, AT&T Humanity of Connection, National Disability Mentoring Coalition, National Association of the Deaf, National Black Deaf Advocates, and The Root 100. People believed I was unable to learn and succeed simply because I could not hear, she recalls, these experiences convinced me that I wanted to be a vehicle for change. Claudia decided on law school to help her pursue such change, attending American University, Washington College of Law to study disability rights law and policy. In pursuing that mission, OFCCP is leading the way to ensure that the reach for good jobs is truly within the grasp of everyone. The discrimination, that she experienced in Jamaica and in general, inspired her to become a lawyer. She was also the associate director at the White House Office of Public Engagement. Typically, policy changes like this are submitted for public comment after theyve been formulated. Claudia L. Gordon, Esq. She provides advice and technical assistance to the leadership and components of DHS that are geared towards implementation and enforcement of disability civil rights laws, regulations, and Executive Orders. However, at OFCCP we are going to the public particularly to leaders and grassroots advocates in the disability community before we even craft the policy changes so that they can weigh in on our efforts and shape the laws that will directly impact their lives. Claudia received a B. #21. This allowed Gordon to provide Direct representation and advocacy for poor deaf persons with a particular emphasis on outreach to those who are members of minority groups. Claudia Gordon became a consultant to the National Council on Disability, then joined the Department of Homeland Security. [emailprotected]. February 29, 2016 by Sue Ann Rodriquez 1 Comment. [18], Gordon has been active in both the black deaf community and the cross disability community. Claudia Gordon is the first female African American deaf lawyer in the United States. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/09/30/president-biden-announces-key-appointments-to-boards-and-commissions-9/?utm_source=link, Office of the United States Trade Representative. Throughout Claudia Gordons life, she has been given many awards and honors. In 1995, she graduated form Howard University with a Bachelors in . This political appointment made Gordon the first deaf person to work at the White House in a detailee capacity. In truth, I was raised by a community of women. Now she is able to correct these misperceptions, and ensure that the needs of the disability community are considered when government entities create their emergency preparedness plans. Join Facebook to connect with Claudia Kordon and others you may know. Get to know her by reading this post. At age 11, she attended Lexington School for the Deaf and learned American Sign Language (ASL) there. It comes about when Casey and Rosie get some alone time, a day on from Casey deciding not to . [6][7][5][8], When she was eleven, Gordon attended a public school before enrolling at the Lexington School and Center for the Deaf in New York. There she learned sign language, participated in sports, and rose to the top of her class. Gordon is a native of Jamaica, graduate of Howard University, and graduate of the American Universitys Washington College of Law.Risa Jaz Rifkind, Member, National Council on DisabilityRisa Jaz Rifkind is a justice advocate who seeks to make change by shifting access to power and influence. Opt in to send and receive text messages from President Biden. Claudia and her younger siblings were left in the care of her eldest sister, Mildred Taylor, a schoolteacher. Facebook gives people the power. Top Deals This Week: Save on Paramount+, Showtime, HBO Max, Fire TV, and Roku, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Is Now Available to Stream on Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Slashed Prices on all Sorts of Fire TV Stick Models, Amazon Fire Tablets on Sale: Save up to 45%, The Ultimate Guide to What to Watch on Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and More in March 2023, Amazon Prime Video's New Shows and Movies in March, 8 Shows Like The Last of Us to Watch While You Wait for the Next Episode, 9 Shows Like Ginny & Georgia to Watch After You Finish Season 2, 12 Intense Thriller Shows and Movies to Watch If You Like Squid Game, 9 Shows Like Fringe to Watch If You Like Fringe, Here's When Yellowstone Will Return for Season 5 Part 2, Pedro Pascal Has an Update for Last of Us Season 2 Filming, Everything to Know About The Summer I Turned Pretty Season 2, Amazon Exec Teases a Release Date for Reacher Season 2, Everything You Need to Know About Euphoria Season 3. Your membership has expired - last chance for uninterrupted access to free CLE and other benefits. She is a former staff attorney with the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center and have also worked as a consulting attorney with the National Council on Disability. The NAD operates on a shoe-string budget and the law center staff fluctuates from two to four full time attorneys working tirelessly to keep pace with incoming discrimination claims and requests for technical assistance from among the 36 million deaf and hard of hearing individuals in America. Born in Jamaica, Claudia became deaf at age 8. [15], Gordon was part of the Presidential Delegation of Barack Obama sent to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Summer Paralympics. Read the latest blog posts from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Check out the most popular infographics and videos, View the photo of the day and other galleries, Tune in to White House events and statements as they happen, See the lineup of artists and performers at the White House, Eisenhower Executive Office Building Tour, Director of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), Under Secretary of Commerce for Economic Affairs Rebecca Blank. Find where to watch Claudia L. Gordon's latest movies and tv shows Or to keep it anonymous, click here. After having sharp pains in her ears, her aunt, who took care of her at the time, took her to a small clinic, as there were no hospitals. In 2004, she was named secretary of the Board for the Lexington Board of Directors. Claudia Gordon is a Senior Accessibility Strategist at T-Mobile based in Bellevue, Washington. Progress has been made due to a combination of an increase of concern for safety in a post-9/11 world and the success of the disability rights movement; however, there are still some gaps that need to be filled. She was deaf at the age of eight. Claudia L. Gordon Director of Government and Compliance with Sprint Accessibility Claudia L. Gordon is the Director of Government and Compliance with Sprint Accessibility, a Business Unit within Sprint Corporation that offers communication products and services to reduce or eliminate communication barriers for customers with disabilities. . Gordon shared her ongoing quest to create spaces in society for seldom-heard voices in her TEDx Talk: Owning Otherness.[35]. When she graduated from the school in 2000, she became the first known deaf black American woman to earn a Juris Doctor. The company's filing status is listed as Forfeited Existence and its File Number is 0801661939. The clinic nurse couldn't diagnose the pain in Gordon's middle ears, nor could the healers restore her hearing. I am motivated by knowing that although progress is being made towards inclusion and access, there is still a great deal more work to be done. Despite various obstacles in America, individuals with disabilities comparatively have better opportunities here than in most other countries. She was also active in sports, student organizations, and community activities. A. degree from Howard University . The information provided by WeCo (The Wehrman Collaborative, LLC) is not intended or designed to be used as, or take the place of, legal advice. As CEO, Braddy created an independent living center that became a strong and growing voice for people with disabilities, and started the Living Well with a Disability Initiative. Now, she has come on the inside to create change from within government. The OFCCP has powerful investigative and regulatory authorities for protecting workers, promoting diversity, and enforcing the law. How Long Will Joe Goldbergs Rampage Be Left Unchecked? Thanks to the values that were instilled in me during my formative years, I understood then that those voices of doubt neither dictated my worth nor my capacity. Also, mentoring youth and young adults with disabilities keeps me motivated. In this role, she drives strategies for a disability inclusive culture and an accessible plus equitable work environment. She has received the 2005 Hurricane Response Award, the Paul G. Hearne Leadership Award, the 2010 Deaf Life Magazine Deaf Person of the Year award, and the 2011 Amos Kendall Award. Currently, Claudia is a Senior Policy Advisor for the Department of Homeland Security, Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. It is uplifting when you are able to empower another and help someone discover a sense of self-worth and confidence in his or her abilities. Facebook gives people the power. Your government can only do so much, so it is important to make sure you have a personalized plan and know how to initially proceed during an emergency. Log in or sign up for Facebook to connect with friends, family and people you know. But I am blessed with supportive family and friends who know that the long hours I spend at work are spent doing something important. She is also a Member of Disability Lead. Get to know her by reading this post. Voorde recently returned to her hometown of South Bend, Indiana. My interest in working for the Federal government was sparked while working as a Skadden Fellow and staff attorney at the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Law and Advocacy Center from 2000-2002. And I know they are proud, patient and ready to welcome me home when this tour of duty, in service of our country, is done. Her family was then forced to take her out of primary school for almost two years since her school couldn't accommodate her needs as a deaf student. Washington, DC 20500. She took her to a clinic and healers, to no avail. Friends slowly disappeared and what was usually a cheerful hello was replaced by an awkward smile, curious stares and even outright ridicule. At the age of 15, he became a person with a disability due to a high school football accident that left him paralyzed from the neck down. While working with impoverished and minority deaf people, she became attracted to the prospect of working in a Federal office. By identifying and developing strategic partnerships, Rifkind positions Members to take on leadership roles that advance their careers, civic engagement, and equity for people with disabilities. November 1st, 2016 At DHS Claudia is able to address misconceptions people have about those with disabilities, some of them similar to the stereotypes and erroneous beliefs she faced in Jamaica. Its that reality of our jobs knowing that we have a window of opportunity to effect such sweeping and systematic change that makes me proud of the work we do. At 11, she moved to the United States and attended Lexington School for the Deaf in New York. Looking back, I wish I knew her real name. Claudia's ethnicity is Caucasian, whose political affiliation is currently a registered . She later went to the American University Washington College of Law. NCD is comprised of a team of Presidential and Congressional appointees, an Executive Director appointed by the Chair, and a full-time professional staff.NCDs mission is to be a trusted advisor, in collaboration with people with disabilities, to: the President; Congress; Federal entities; State, tribal communities, and local governments; and other entities and organizations. NCD fulfills its advisory roles regarding disability policies, programs, procedures, and practices that enhance equal opportunity by: convening stakeholders to acquire timely and relevant input for recommendations and action steps; gathering and analyzing data and other information; engaging and influencing current debates and agendas;identifying and formulating solutions to emerging and long-standing challenges; and providing tools to facilitate effective implementation.Hoskie Benally, Jr., Member, National Council on DisabilityHoskie Benally Jr., is a Member of the Navajo Nation and is Legally Blind. Given the fact that nearly one in four American workers is employed by a company that receives Federal funds for contracted work, stronger Section 503 regulations, backed by real enforcement, will ensure that more people with disabilities have equal employment opportunity in the labor force. or. Like (316) At the time, she was in the care of her elder sister Mildred Taylor, a teacher. How did you become interested in working for the Federal government? She was the vice president of the National Black Deaf Advocates. Claudia and her younger siblings were left in the care of her eldest sister, Mildred Taylor, a schoolteacher. I want to contribute to a better society where there is more understanding and acceptance of people with disabilities and where the same opportunities are provided for all." I felt that a job with the Federal government would more effectively allow me to affect the actual enforcement of laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, thereby alleviating the blatant discrimination that people with disabilities continue to face. You have JavaScript disabled. From July 2013 to March 2014 Claudia was assigned to the White House Office of Public Engagement where she served as the liaison to the disability community and advised on disability policies. In 2022, Braddy was selected by Senator Robert Casey, Jr., as one of four Black leaders in Pennsylvania who has demonstrated power and persistency in overcoming challenges and creating meaningful change in the State, and his contribution was acknowledged on the Senate Floor at a Congressional Hearing. Grounded in Navajo tradition and fluent in Navajo, Benally is an experienced cultural instructor. Which is exactly the type of work Gordon was driven to do: I am motivated by knowing that although progress is being made towards inclusion and access, there is still a great deal more work to be done. After leaving the OFCCP U.S. Department of Labors Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. - Gordon, Obama White House, 30 August 2010[5]. Claudia L Gordon is Trustee at Gallaudet University. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. At Lexington, she learned sign language for the first time and became the valedictorian of her junior and senior high school graduating classes. Claudia Gordon delivering the opening keynote in American Sign Language at the 50th Biennial Conference of the National Association of the Deaf in Philadelphia, PA. July 6, 2010. While at Lexington, Claudia Gordon learned sign language, participated in sports, and became a top student. Prior to joining the Law Center, Benally was the CEO of a Residential Treatment Center for Native American Youth that successfully integrated Navajo culture into western-based mental health treatment.Benally is the current President of the Navajo Nation Advisory Council on Disabilities, a former Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, and a former Member of the New Mexico Developmental Disability Planning Council. Claudia L. Gordon currently a political appointee with the Obama administration serving as Special Assistant to the Director of the U.S. Department of Labor's (DOL) Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP). Claudia remembers how she was treated in Jamaica after going deaf. Claudia L Hanes-Gordon (Claudia Corky Hanes Gordon) See Photos. My aunt Mildred is a teacher, and as such she instilled in us the importance of a good education. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. It was there that I confronted the truth that passing legislation is one thing but actual implementation with enforcement is another. If you have questions regarding how this information may affect you or your organization legally, please seek the advice of professional legal counsel. Gordon was born in St. Mary, Jamaica in March 1972. He graduated from Temple University with his MSW in 1988 after receiving his BSW from Edinboro University. Required fields are marked *. Gordon received the Skadden Fellowship (for law graduates working with disabled people) that helped her pay to work at the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center. My aunt Mildred was also a very important role model, along with my grandmother Viola Parsons. She was given some antibiotics but she eventually became deaf. sites@gsu - Blogs for Georgia State University. In 2004, she became Senior Policy Advisor for the Department of Homeland Security, Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. In 2004, she was named secretary of the Board for the Lexington Board of Directors. After two years of no education, Claudia and her mother immigrated to New York. I have an innate desire to give back. Emailus. Gordon went on to earn adegree in Political Science at Howard University, then went on to study disability-rights law and policy at American Universitys Washington College of Law. The Registered Agent on file for this company is Claudia L Gordon and is located at 108 W James Street, Blue Ridge, TX 75424. So I wanted to highlight Claudia L. Gordon, the first known deaf black American woman to earn aJuris Doctor. At the time, she was in the care of her elder sister Mildred Taylor, a teacher. Deseo toda la felicidad del mundo para ti , alegrias , risas y mucha" [10] While at WCL, she bagged the Myers Law Scholarship twice as well as the J. Franklin Bourne Scholarship. The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling., Have a tip we should know? Profile. 2022 American Bar Association, all rights reserved. Born in Jamaica, Gordon went deaf around the age of eight years old after she suddenly developed severe pain in her middle ears.
Dave Sparks House, South Summit Soccer Club, Module 'pyldavis' Has No Attribute 'gensim', St George Hanover Square Workhouse Records, Michael Mowry Rochester, Nh, Articles C