I received a text message from Jackie because I was not well. And as an audience, I think thats what he does for you, is he puts you in so many places, and then he pulls the rug from under you. Why does he always have to be called Shang or Chang? Donnie also received a Best Actor nomination at the Hong Kong Film Awards. Why can't he have a normal name? I know exactly where the camera is. And I remembered when Ang came to me, at that time, I was doing the press . Jackie Chan and Li have known each other for a long time. The same is true of Yen as an actor. "The name was Shang or Chang. The C.E.O. It was very competitive. Theyre giving you an opportunity to do it. But shes so committed to her role. And there are so many of these stories to be told, and to be exchanged, and to be and also, what I love about Everything Everywhere All At Once, its about here. Today, Yen is one of China's biggest actors, the last in a dynasty of martial arts stars that runs from Bruce Lee to Jackie Chan to Jet Li. Because action movieswhich is what I do bestaction movies take a certain fire, a passion, and that is relative to physical ability, he says. Wire work. I said, "Really? He received his first full action directing credit on the Michelle Yeoh, kung fu drama 'Wing Chun', in which he also starred.Yen further developed his style of choreography in the high pressure world of Hong Kong television, where he created the action for his hit series 'Kung Fu Master' and 'Fist of Fury', and as a low-budget film-maker, when he directed, starred in and choreographed the movies 'Legend of the Wolf' and 'Ballistic Kiss'.It was after Yen had helmed his first two Chinese features that Hollywood made its first serious bid for his services. Yen's final reel duel with Sammo Hung is now regarded as a classic of the genre. Zero CGI. Not that its always gone smoothly. I guess my destiny is to be making movies., For a decade now, hes been talking about retiring. Sometimes a little intimidating and scary. One thing I pointed out is he was a stereotype. Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen talks about his favorite martial arts films, his extensive career, and infusing his latest film, Flash Point, with the styles of Mixed Martial Arts. Given that he was by now a serious practitioner of modern Wu Shu, his parents decided to send him to Beijing to train at the Chinese capital's famed Wu Shu academy.It was when Yen returned to Hong Kong en route back to Boston that he met the famed martial arts movie director Yuen Woo-ping.Donnie exploded onto the Hong Kong movie scene when he was cast in the lead role of director Yuen Woo-ping's 'Drunken Tai Chi'. Jin Yongs novels are beloved in China, sprawling multivolume epics. Coat, $1,981, by Lanvin. More from NextShark: 'Chinese people are the worst': 'Genshin Impact' streamer under fire after racist tirade during stream. They think theyre serving Chinese food. The older I get, the more I kind of look into what Im about, Yen says. You know, inHero we did all the poetic shots and beautiful color and posingits been done, Yen says. Ich denke eine direkte Antwort kann man darauf nicht geben. Copyright 2018 Fandango. Born July 27, 1963 in Canton, China. The video features a collection of photos showcasing these iconic actors in their new female personas, highlighting their incredible skills and talent in the world of martial arts. So, people listening to this will be like, a bagel? The film premiered to great acclaim at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, and subsequently received a North American theatrical release from The Weinstein Company.Donnie Yen played 'The Monkey King' in a hit reimagining of the Chinese classic. Growing up, Brad developed an innate love of movies and storytelling, and was instantly enamored with the world of adventure while following the exploits of Indiana Jones, Japanese kaiju, and superheroes. Although Yen is widely known and respected in the West, having worked in Hollywood on and off since the late 90s, its nothing compared to how he is recognized in Asia, where his prodigious output made him a giant in the world of Chinese-language cinema. Because the mother-daughter relationship is central to the story. Like Li, Yen began his martial arts action career in Hong Kong in the mid-1980s with the Yuen Woo-Ping-directed film Drunken Tai Chi. Jacket, $11,000, and scarf, $690, by Dior Men. I have been in so many countries in the world, but its not even close. I mean, the universe of your life, your real life as a martial arts movie star, was very sad. Why does he always have to be called Shang or Chang? Ho-hum. Its about whats happening in our society. And that was how my journey started. Beginning in the early 80s, Li made a name for himself as one of the top martial artist action stars in Hong Kong cinema with films including Born to Defence and Shaolin Temple 3: Martial Arts of Shaolin. Yen might be approaching 60, but in person he looks a decade younger: lean and muscular, radiant skin, Wite-Out smile. said Yen. Yes. But the only problem is I cant sing. Who knows: In my 70s I might be lucky, and be one of those very few that are still able tobut why push that?, Thats why he still wakes up in the morning and does jump kicks. Its so liberating. There was the Yuen clan, the Jackie Chan clan, and the Sammo Hung clan, Yen says. Or you have a family. Shes one hell of a determined woman, even though she fails at so many things. This is not uncommon. Yen also didn't establish himself in the West to the extent that Chan had until much later on, but he's every bit as recognizable now, and today, Yen has grown into one of the biggest and most revered martial arts stars in the world. At the time,Yen had no plans to be an actor. So, the movie borrows from, obviously, martial arts movies in a very cheeky way. My first movie was an action film, but I played the normal damsel in distress where I was a social worker and bullied by the juvenile delinquents. ), Nevertheless, some hurts still linger. I try to look at it less defensive than before. Everyone was just out there competing, like B-boys or skate crews, to do the coolest shit possible. Not like, oh, now suddenly I have. He said, hes wondering if, you know, you have time to have a quick cup of tea with him. That would scare the hell out of me. She is this very ordinary woman. And, while hes still known for his fight scenesno actor better understands or displays the balletic beauty of raw, human combathe no longer has to take shots in the face. Donnie Yen, born in 1963, is one of the present masters of the martial arts action film, according to Black Belt Magazine, and Jackie Chan, born in 1954, per Biography, has been acting in several movie genres since he was eight, including musicals. Much like other beloved Chinese actors before him, like Jackie Chan, Jet Li and the late Bruce Lee, Donnie Yen has found Hollywood fame after becoming a big star in Hong Kong action movies. Its a martial arts movie. Actors including Jackie Chan, Rogue One's Donnie Yen and Transformers star Li . But the Daniels have so cleverly manipulated the situations that, you know, theres always that miscommunication, which creates misunderstandings, which become like, oh my god, oh my god, this is just the train wreck waiting to happen. I got knocked back about eight feet. In the early drafts of the script, Yens character, Chirrut mwe, was just the same generic martial arts warrior. Theres a love story. Overall, I enjoyed making the film, he says. Special thanks to Kristin Lin and Kristina Samulewski. Yen calmly warned them to leave them alone, but the thugs opted to attack him, which ended up with Donnie thoroughly kicking their asses in the street. I mean, I look at life and were only here for a short time, you know? I went to my friends karate school, or a boxing gym, Yen says. The film, with Wilson Ip as director and Yuen as choreographer, pitted the title character against legendary boxing champion Mike Tyson. 10 February 2023; . Why is it this way? [Yuen] said, Youll know when youre a director., Yen eventually started to exert more of his own control, first of stunt choreography, then assuming directing duties. When that camera rolls, I cango.. Not to give away, but theyre very tender in your hot dog universe. Boots, $695, by Alessandro Vasini. Guillermo was a total gentleman. And thats, I think, the tension between the mother and the daughter. And I think thats a cowards way out. But she never gives up trying, even though her business is failing. So theres so much this film, and I really urge everyone to see it because its a very different film than most films that are out there, even though its an action film. The film won Donnie his second Best Action Choreography prize at the Hong Kong Film Awards.He took his on-screen depiction of MMA to new heights in 'Flashpoint', which featured an even longer and more intense final showdown, this time between Yen and 'Matrix Reloaded' actor Collin Chou. Which your character was against that, was against Constances character. But in general, its always an older man. But he also knows that he cant go on forever being this Donnie Yen. Yes, but you have, OK money in the bank. Why do you have to be so generic? Why do we do this? Ten years later, the pair starred in the epic Hero when Li cuts Yen again, this time above his right eye. (At least not on purpose. In a recent interview with GQ magazine, Yen revealed that he wasn't originally keen on accepting the role of Caine - a blind assassin and friend of the lead protagonist - after deeming that it perpetuated Asian stereotypes. I think if you dont have a big beating heart, its so easy to just say, well, youre already a grown-up. Why is everythingso generic? So what happened was there was a shot where Jet Li was wired up and we both have these poles, these bamboo poles about this thick. When they came to me, they said, they want you to be a Minion. Jackie Chan and Jet Li are two of the greatest martial arts actors to ever grace the silver screen. It wasnt a protest, okay, it was a riot, Yen says. Beyond the limitations of his mother's school, Yen began training in various different fighting arts, including Japanese karate, Korean taekwondo and western boxing. From the parents, the grandparents the hierarchy, right? Doesnt smile, shared Yen, who suggested making Chirrut mwe blind. Meanwhile, Yen continued to produce quality martial arts films in Hong Kong, creating an international hit as the titular kung fu master in Ip Man. But beneath the silliness is a universal story of love and belonging and family. But I am by myself and with a white-haired martial arts expert that you know, tells you exactly what to do. And perhaps if she was so successful in all that she do, like in the movie universe, she doesnt have a family. And then it didnt. Theyve been here. I was trying to find an identity. I cant retire, because I still have projects Im committed to, he says. We have to give each other the space and be who they are, and accept them. And shes unrecognizable as Deirdre. I dont want to do that again. Throughout his career, Hollywood has never quite known what to do with himor, until recently, any Asian leading men, for that matter. The first Chinese UFC champion Zhang Weili states that Yen . I think they just announced they have a writer. And one of the great things about cinema, he says, is how unifying it can betranscending barriers of both language and culture. He was electric, determined, lightning fast. So, I wanted to talk to Yeoh about how she tapped into the emotional core of the story, and how this film might signal a shift in the Hollywood zeitgeist. Why can't he have a normal name? In China, Yen can play drug lords, animated monkeys, romantic leads, soldierseven sing. Yeah. And you can sing to many, or you can just sing to one. It was heralded as a game-changer of how U.S. viewed the Asian film industry. ", Related: Donnie Yen's Ip Man 2 Has A Secret Jet Li Connection (& It's Genius). Even with the Crazy Rich Asians one, we sort of diverted from the original book. Walking stick, $295, by Scully & Scully. I think what the strong core of the message, apart from the very familial connections, is that no matter how tragic or how despair or frustrated you are, its you cannot give up. Beginning in the early 80s, Li made a name for himself as one of the top martial artist action stars in Hong Kong cinema with films including Born to Defence and Shaolin Temple 3: Martial Arts of Shaolin.Li solidified himself as an icon in the genre with his . I was doing the press for Tomorrow Never Dies. They said, oh, you know this director, Ang Lee? And I think it really shows because the scenes that I have with Stephanie, she is looking for her mother in every universe. Youre a super heroine, and in no time you will be back on your feet again. Legendary Hong Kong martial arts actor Jet Li reveals nearly blinding Ip Man star Donnie Yen while filming fight sequences in two different movies. Global fans will recognize him from the likes ofStar Wars spin-offRogue One, as well as this months fourth outing in the phenomenally successfulJohn Wick franchise. Theyve been part of this community forever. The film was shot last year, outside Shanghai, on a relatively slim budget. At the time, the demand for martial arts movies was waning, and Yen was determined to innovate within a genre starting to grow stale. You know what Im saying?, Things are changingeven if progress has been agonizingly slow. My arms and legs are going in directions that I couldnt even fathom that could happen. It didnt change things because its a period piece. Yuenknown in Hollywood for his choreography on films such asCrouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon;The Matrix; andKill Billhad helped to revive Jackie Chans career, directing the cult classicsDrunken Master andSnake in the Eagles Shadow. (SINGING) When you walk in a room, do you have sway? So, they said, well, OK, if you want to try action, if it doesnt succeed, thats the easiest thing. One thing I pointed out is he was a stereotype. He was signed to co-star in and action direct 'Highlander: Endgame', the latest in a series of fantasy actioners. Oh, god, you know, with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, that was an Asian movie. In this movie, you were a singer. So that was what the Daniels were trying to they came up to me and said, no, no, no, no. When Yuen Woo-ping is talking, everybody would just listen. My mom and I were separated for eight years, Yen says. Waymond is played by Ke Huy Quan. More from NextShark: BLACKPINK announce title track Shut Down and ticket sale info. Ridiculous athleticism. But that was also very, very important that we focus very much on the love between the mother and the son. Yen finished the film in his memory. Sie knnen Ihre Einstellungen jederzeit ndern, indem Sie auf unseren Websites und Apps auf den Link Datenschutz-Dashboard klicken. She would drag me out of bed, whack me with a wooden stick. Thrown from horses. That discussion between her and the man she left behind. So it would have been in that original thing, initially, it was like, I would have played the wife of Jackie Chan. Good fight scenes. And you should see, Jamie and I, we look at each other and, wahaa! Who is the ultimate fighter? Each studio was determined to outdo its rivals for the most elaborate action sequences and flat-out dangerous stunts. In this version, they are reimagined as powerful female warriors, complete with stunning costumes and fierce attitudes. He notably turned down a role in The Expendables franchise due to how Jet Li, who played the character Yin Yang, was portrayed in the first film. And I think, you know, the last two years, especially with the intensity and the tragedy of the pandemic, how its affected us, its really, really highlighted how much we need this human connection. All rights reserved. Is there any type of roles you havent played yet that you really want to do? I gotta say, hot dog fingers might be. So he had a stunt double wired up, Yen explains. Jacket, $3,390, pants, $1,350, and boots, $1,450, by Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccarello. . It's all here Because of the years of having to carry heavy loads of things, her body is not always upright. So, they pulled me up, and Barbara came to meet me in Europe. These kinds of opportunities occasionally come up: You want to be in this? It doesnt mean anything, he says. You fight with, or you dance with, multiple partners. But I think its Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, the producers who realize, its like, yes, lets do something different. Not only is he the director and executive producer, he also plays the lead and, in flashbacks, his characters father. While details about the Hong Kong actor's role were kept under wraps following the films announcement in June 2021, a trailer released in November 2022 revealed that he will face off against Keanu Reeves suave, suit-wearing titular assassin. Its all like a bunch of jazz musicians, Yen says. Shes looking for the mother that she can connect with. Today, he says, he sees a big difference in the way he and other Asian actors are treated in Hollywood. In this movie, and his follow-up features for the company ('In the Line of Duty 4', 'Tiger Cage 2'), Yen showed off his own unique form of contemporary screen combat, a form that included elements of rapid fire kicking, Western boxing and grappling moves.Having established a worldwide fan base, Yen moved on to star in a string of independent Asian action features before director Tsui Hark tapped him to co-star in 'Once Upon A Time In China 2'. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . When it first came, I was like, no, no, no, no, no. Boston itself was not always welcoming. They grapple and fight dirty. Oh, if I was James Bond? Its like when you after I read the script, its like, no one has ever thought of me in a role like this, it is true. Its very, very limited. A lot of people might not be happy for what Im saying, but Im speaking from my own experience., Where once, Hollywoods attitude toward Chinese filmmakers might have angered him, today Yen is more accepting. 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny' also played at selected Imax theatres in North America, and enjoyed a wide theatrical release in China, where it was screened in its 3D version.Yen reteamed with his former mentor Yuen Woo-ping for the hugely popular 'Ip Man 3'. Sway is produced by Nayeema Raza, Blakeney Schick, Daphne Chen, Caitlin OKeefe and Wyatt Orme, and edited by Nayeema Raza; fact-checking by Kate Sinclair and Mary Marge Locker; music and sound design by Isaac Jones; mixing by Carole Sabouraud and Sonia Herrero; audience strategy by Shannon Busta. It comes with the jobyou dont carve out a 40-year career kicking ass in Hong Kong action cinema without also getting your own kicked occasionally. You look like youre having much more fun with the hot dog. Yes. In Everything Everywhere All at Once, Yeoh plays the superhero: a Chinese American immigrant mother who is called upon to save the world and herself by hopping across multiverses. And the rhythmbop-bop-bop-bopis perfectly timed. Then cameIp Man, the semifictionalized 2008 film about the eponymous wing chun master (who was Bruce Lees mentor), which launched a four-film franchise and, in China at least, an entire genre ofIp Man derivatives. Because Master Yuen Woo-Ping is like my mentor, my guru. . Talk about this dynamic between your character, Evelyn, your daughter, Joy. We have this mating dance. And Ang is like the most quiet spoken. Im hanging out with Benny, next thing you know hes gone. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Suddenly, Yen found himself apprenticed to one of the great action directors of what might be the last golden age of kung fu filmmaking. He was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer and died while the film was still in postproduction. The BBC, CNN, they never talk about that. Jackie Chan is a performer who lea. Why does he always have to be called Shang or Chang? Boots, $1,495, by Christian Louboutin. Yen certainly has a point and as seen in John Wick 4's marketing materials of the actor donning massive sunglasses and a black suit (no Mandarin collars! Since 1957, GQ has inspired men to look sharper and live smarter with its unparalleled coverage of style, culture, and beyond. No, no, no, no. Her latest role is no exception she took on a part that was originally written for the actor Jackie Chan. Take it and run with it, or sink. And I think what, in 96, 97, when they were doing that, it was because I think the movement of where women were like, OK, I want to go and watch a Bond movie where Im not just sexualized, all right? Thanks for listening. Why cant he have a normal name? what it did was I think it changed for a lot of our Asian talent because there were more roles that were written. And I almost chained up life. You can play, you can playjust come in and jam., But that free-flowing collaborative style meant that when Yen started getting jobs as an action choreographer in the US in the early aughts, he rubbed up against the compartmentalized way that Hollywood studios ran things. (Yens mom had taught Yuens sister.) But for brevitys sake, heres just one. Besides his on-screen performance, Donnie was also called on to choreograph the dynamic duel between himself and MMA champion Cung Le. In 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story', Yen plays one of the Rebel warriors responsible for the theft of the Death Star plans, the adventure that, within the 'Star Wars' universe, leads to the events of the very first film in the series. Really one of the worst times in my career, Yen says. Now, if they hit you in the head, they'll knock you out. At the same time, Donnie was influenced by his parents' love of music and reached a high level of proficiency as a pianist. In t. You cant do that anymoreIll hang it up., Oliver Franklin-Wallis is the features editor atBritish GQ, A version of this story originally appeared in the March 2023 issue of GQ with the title Hong Kongs Ageless Action Hero, PRODUCTION CREDITS:Photographs by Puzzleman LeungStyled by Jacky TamHair by Little WhiteSkin by Kenji NgTailoring by Mrs. LamProduced by Jolene Lin, Apply Bed Bath and Beyond Coupon and save 25% Off your entire purchase, Target Circle: up to 50% Off with Target promo code, Save 25% on your purchase of Spring Styles with Asos Coupon, Michael Kors Promo Code: sign up for KORSVIP + Get 10% Off on First Order, 2023 Cond Nast. Yeah, its a big beating heart, but this woman is in great pain. Are Billionaires the Answer? The film won Donnie his third Best Action Choreography prize at the Hong Kong Film Awards, as well as a prize for Best Action in a Foreign Language Film at the Taurus Awards.Yen explored different styles of screen combat when he choreographed the stunning kung fu fights for the period actioners 'Legend of the Fist' and 'The Lost Bladesman', the fantasy combat for 'The Monkey King' and the time travel adventure 'Iceman Cometh 3D'.Many fans feel that Yen delivered his best choreographic work to date in Peter Chan's masterful 'Wu Xia', released in the US as 'Dragon'. Typical master. In 'Iron Monkey', Yen played the father of Wong Fei-hung, and its success prefigured that which he would later enjoy as another pugilistic patriarch in 'Ip Man'. Its a movie its about the Chinese culture. Yen recalls getting approached by Disney to appear in the 2016Star Wars prequelRogue One. Donnie Yen has been punched, in the name of moviemaking, more times than he can count. Both Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen have fought many formidable villains and, from time to time, heroes in their respective action movie careers. While the more familiar faces of Jackie Chan and Jet Li are household names in America, the 48-year-old Yen still needs one real chance to show his stuff with a significant part in a Hollywood-produced blockbuster to add his name to the list. Im looking at his body at his funeral, and it was like: I was just with him yesterday, Yen says. Why would you want me to do that? Come on. The publication also noted that Yen has become more selective when offered Hollywood roles and asks if the roles are respectful to Chinese culture and unique. Its wild, its wonderful, its weird, its everything. Although his success in the West has been inconsistent, arguably Yen's most well-known role outside of Hong Kong is Chirrut mwe in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. And then you pull back and you go, what the heck do they have at the end of their sleeve? So what they did was, like, lets switch the roles because its not been done. This film was co-directed by Huang Jianxin and Han Sanping, and includes many famous actors such as Andy Lau, Ge You . I cant take it with me, Yen says. Now, although these are prop swords, they are still quite pointy. So, what is it you really, really want? Right, right. Every Jackie Chan Vs Donnie Yen Fight Scene, Why Jackie Chan Never Joined Stallone's Expendables Movies, Yen's combat versatility seen in his MMA movies, Police Story: The Stunt That Almost Killed Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen Should Front A xXx Spinoff Franchise. Thats in part why hes trying to be more selective with his work. The biggest stars - Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen - kung fu and wuxia, the leading martial arts film directors, and the best films to watch. Klicken Sie auf Alle ablehnen, wenn Sie nicht mchten, dass wir und unsere Partner Cookies und personenbezogene Daten fr diese zustzlichen Zwecke verwenden. How can I be the worst? Hes totally cool, and he loves martial arts movies, Yen says. What are you willing to walk away from? Why can't he look cool and fashionable?" Even as Hollywood has ignored Asian actors, it has over the years co-opted the visual techniques and tropes of Hong Kong cinema. And Im like, I would bend backwards to talk to him. Please. Brandon Louis is a TV/Movie news writer. Even then, I noticed a couple of Asian diners nearby quietly freaking out. Copyright Fandango. Yen details his famous fight scene in 1992's Once Upon a Time in China II when Li cut his left brow with a large bamboo staff, causing him to get stitches. He got one of his producers to make an introduction, borrowed the money. Due to restrictions imposed by the Mao government of the era, Yens motherBow-sim Mark, a nationally renowned wushu grandmasterwas not permitted to accompany them. At the end of the 50 movies, maybe the 48th, 49 moves, he strikes down with his sword. Although Jackie Chan beganto move away from making American action moviesin the mid-2000s, he still found time for a quick cameo in the first Twins Effect, which Donnie Yen co-directed alongside Dante Lam.
How Did Alexander Graham Bell Invent The Telephone, Articles A