This is great! My sister and I loved the big thing of pickles and kraut on the table. No, not the North Miami Don Boyd though you are the second person to ask me recently. Im hoping well start closing down a lot more of these bars. [Miami Herald, September 21, 1986]. My daughter now owns a very small version of our other restaurants and called Original Papa Nick's Pizza Take-out and catering. Does anyone have a picture of the Plantation restaurant or remember the hobby shop where they raced the big slot cars? (1979) There was a Playboy Club next door! I ate many "All You Can Eat" Shrimp dinners there but I left Miami in 1970 so it might have moved by '72. (I only know it existed, because 71st Ave doesn't have an updated GoogleStreetView shot.). You nibble on Florida shrimp and conch fritters, and sip a long, cool, Florida drink. Thanks for your responses. With an economy about to go off the cliff, real estate owners and other businesses started targeting retirees. My Mom and aunt were both carhops there in the mid 50's. As for the Royal Castle that is still on 125th Street and NW 7th Ave, I ate there a few weeks ago and the burgers are still awesome! But then something happened in the seventies, and tourism plummeted. Also featured in: 11 Kosher-Friendly Restaurants in South Florida. But by the 1970s, it had been overrun by drug dealers and was subsequently destroyed. Lynn J. My brother Tim will never forget the morning he and another kid went to the Royal Castle on 125th St. and 7th Ave. I am trying to find the name of a restaurant that used to serve the best garlic rolls. Used to go to Fun Fair for lunch aftter spending a day on the beach. This was in the early 50's. At the time I thought they had the greatest job in the world, and could hardly wait to grow up and work there. We fished or drag raced every weekend. That was the hangout for the 1963 Miami High crowd. I've been eating there since they opened. Lived at Jackson Hall on tenth avenue and than to Royce, I loved looking at these pictures,for a few minutes i was back in time and loving every second of it! In the 1970s the restaurant industry and the custom of eating in restaurants grew rapidly. Thanks so much for these wonderful memories! Back in the 1950s, the blocks surrounding 22nd and 23rd street on South Beach where the epicenter of Miami nightlife with over ten restaurants and nightclubs entertaining socialites. 320 Miami Nostalgia 60s, 70s & 80s ideas | miami, florida, miami beach Pinterest Today Watch Explore Log in Sign up Miami Nostalgia 60s, 70s & 80s 325 Pins 8y M Collection by Marion Siegel Share Similar ideas popular now Miami Florida Miami Beach Palomar Leaning Tower Of Pisa Hometown Attraction 60s Contest Miami Nostalgia Community A couple ran it, Harry the chef, and his wife as waitress. Expect items like Pan Con Bistec, Flan and Cafecitos at throwback (read: inexpensive) prices. I better get off here, giving away my agerosalie. I'd like to add them to the list of restaurants that are gone but need just a little more information. Complete with all the dive bar essentials including a jukebox, tables that have seen better days and a 12-hour-long daily happy hour. ", Brenda, thank you for your memories and where you two live now. Thank you for bringing back some wonderful memories. I remember riding Harley-Davidsons, before it was a designer "Thing", to the 'Stampede Bar' as well as the "Pine Tree" (67 Ave and SW 11 St) and the "Champion Bar" on Bird Rd. When they were done with their order, they put money on the counter. Property records still show that it is licensed as a "bar/entertainment venue," so the day school is probably not operating legally. Occasionally, we like to look back on other periods of Miami dining. I would love to see a picture of that place. 11 South Florida Food Halls, Markets, and Yards, Mapped, The Hottest New Restaurants in Miami, March 2023, 10 New Bars With Great Cocktails in Miami. Does Maury's Market sound familiar? Miami Senior High in 1964. Years ago there was a drive-in called HART"S Drive Inn. judge in the episode Fruit of the Poison Tree. I need to catch up on some of the comments that have been posted here, so here goes: Does anyone else remember the "Pallas Athena" Greek restaurant on West Flager St. a little past the railroad tracks? Don, a friend just told me on Facebook that the Hasta Restaurant on Douglas Rd was what used to be the Douglas Rd Coffeehouse in the 1960s. My wife's (NMH '71) father taught industrial arts at NMH when you were there; his name was James Criswell and there is a 1961 photo of him and other teachers at. Yes, I think you might be right. Its not always certain what will become the next new place people will sparknostalgia and fond food memories for decades to come. Keep up the good work, love ya ! Wow this site is cool do you remember Toby's Cafeteria? View of people canoeing at Disney World - Orlando, Florida, 1971. At its pinnacle in the 1970s, Burger Chef had 1,200 locations and was a thriving competitor of McDonald's. And for kids, in particular, Burger Chef was the top choice: It was the first fast-food chain to include toys with its kids' meals. Hank Hagmann's Pal's restaurants were hugely popular in South Florida. Wow, what memories. Funland Park was the name of the place. Hopefully one will turn up someday because a lot of people loved the Yorkshire Inn. In the area of 21 Street and Collins you had another Wolfies, Chandlers next door and the famous Ember's known forf their salad dressing. The second BK location in Miami was open from 1955 to the early 1970s. Jeff has confirmed he meant to type COPA CITY and not Copy City night club on Dade Boulevard. Sambo's was a popular chain of family restaurants that offered diner-style table service. A pizza staple since the 1970s, this pizza parlor is known for its authentic NY slices, graffiti covered booths and arcade games to accompany its delicious pies. Thank you for the memories! Lots of celebrities AND gangsters!! I too lived in Hialeah, went to Hialeah Hi.from first day it opened. A pizza staple since the 1970s, this pizza parlor is known for its authentic NY slices, graffiti covered booths and arcade games to accompany its delicious pies. Guest of 21-JAN-14, thank you for your comment regarding the Lum's but do you know what photo? Gosh so many good restaurants here. After that, it has been a non-stop culinary rollercoaster, including a James Beard award. My father worked as a waiter there when it was frequented by movie stars. They didn't recognize him and when they asked for hot chocolates he didn't seem to know what to do or where things were. The old sign looked 60s/70s, and at one point had a small waterfall, so it must have been The Cascade for a few decades. Hello. Wish I had pictures to post - Sorry! The restaurants that you mention were not left out on purpose, it's just because no one has sent in photos of them. You relax in a seat thats striped like a beach chair. As many as 40 banks still neglect to report cash deposits of $10,000 or more, as required by law. Is it in here? Also, you have a picture of Betty's Restaurant and Betty's Restaurant and Lobo Lounge on 14th Street and Biscayne Blvd. The picture of the Red Coach Grill was great because you could see the whole side of the new Jordan Marsh store on the Boulevard. Established in 1959 by a then 11-year-old Robert who set up a stand to sell his fathers cucumber crop. Dan, I was born on Miami Beach and still live in Miami. Also we would go to the Rosetta Theater on Saturday mornings and then get Birch Beer at Royal Castle. Carol K. it sounds like you grew up in that neighborhood. We just went to about 15 restaurants that we had been to many times. Serving up BBQ to Miami for 65 years, this outpost has seen its fair share of change. Worse still, Miami Beach mayor Alex Daoud got busted on so many criminal counts that he faced 528 years in prison! Some of us because we were happy to be out of school and some (me included) because we were so sad that our school days at Miami High were over!!! I haven't gotten around to moving north yet. The landmark space still brings people in by the droves for its famous claws and sides. Don. As the last-standing Royal Castle in Miami (there used to be around 180 in its 1960s heyday) this quick service spot in North Miami serves up a heavy dose of nostalgia along with slider burgers, birch beer and plenty of breakfast specials. The area generated 40 times more unreported cash than the rest of the country an astonishing figure! Anyone remember Cookie's on the Mile? An estimated 70% of all marijuana and cocaine imported into the U.S. passes through South Florida. We lived on NW 96th Street and NW 30th Ave. My cousins lived on NW 88th Street and NW 30th Ave. We all traveled the area from Northside Shopping Center to NW 103rd Street, between NW 32nd Ave and NW 27th Ave on our bikes. Great memories - I lived in Miami from 1948 to 2000 - graduated from Miami High ('60) Miami Dade Junior College (it was called then) first graduating class in '62 and UofM - so I remember all of the places you mentioned - didn't see a few that I remember - The Luau on 79th St. Causeway or Tony's Fish Market (also on the 79th St. Causeway), The South Pacific in Broward, Jahn's Ice Cream Shoppe in Coral Gables (on the Mile) I'm sorry if these are there - my eyesight is not as good as it used to be!!! It's just a matter of time as more and more folks discover the site and remember that they have a certain photo of a certain place. I used to go there on dates while I was in high school. And although they couldnt be more different, both 69-year-old Foxs Sherron Inn and 5-year-old De Rodriguez inspired a legion of devoted fans who mourned their closing this year. Please enter a valid email and try again. Let's hear it for Jack Perry's Sidewalk Cafe on Okee & 17th in Hialeah. Crandon Park. because it had gas. Thanks Mark, I added it to the list of "gone but not forgotten. Live music lovers have been flocking to this pub since 1979. Charlie B - What about Paly's Big Wheel Drive-in Rest..? It was a small place and had two huge plam trees out front on either side of the door. The name of the restaurant on South Pointe, before it became Smith and Wollensky in 1997?? He also helped launch OLA, first on Biscayne Boulevard, then in the Savoy Hotel, before making its last stop at the Sanctuary Hotel. I think someone else has mentioned the Majorette in another gallery or in the comments galleries somewhere but I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. From the Miami Herald: I cant think of a city with a worse track record of preservation. Around '69-70 or so. Tom, there is a comment from Miami Don on 15-JUL under the image of "Restaurants gone but not forgotten" (see above on the next to last line) that says: Any photos or memories of two lounges in Miami Springs that gave way to an office building in the mid 70's? I went to Coral Gables High. A few more old high end joints missing here: The Hasta Manana where Nixon and Bebe Rebzo liked to go, The Lagoon on 79th St causway-first place I saw live lobsters in a tank and next to the Jordan Marsh store on Biscayen Blvd was a place called Coach and Six or something like that. Pumpernik's Restaurant on Miami Beach Marcella's Italian Restaurant in North Miami and later Hollywood - great ads on late night TV in the early 70's . Miami was loaded with Italian restaurants in the sixties and seventies. Check out our 1970s miami style selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. THANKS. Does anyone have a photo or postcard or anything for the Rocket Drive-in? I KNOW that it was west of Ponce, east of Le Jeune, north of Miracle Mile, and pretty sure south of Alhambra. It was a Benihana previously. Tyler's last restaurant was on Bird Road around 112 Ave. - in the Concord Shopping Plaza. Hialeah Florida. How about Latta's on NW 7th Ave or the BBQ Barn right down the street. Miami Herald crime reporter Edna Buchanan claimed that at one point in the 80s, an entire Miami police academy graduating class ended up dead or in jail. I remember it from the mid-50's when my aunt's boss would take us there and I remember delicious chocolate shakes. I celebrated 10 years of retirement last month and it's gone by in a blur but it's been a lot of fun. The newspaper left in 1957, and the building was used by the federal government to take in Cuban refugees to provide medical treatment and process documentation. Ollies was there for years and Ollie was a true character. My guess is Oven's, but what do I know? Miami Beach Florida. I remember when they built Luby Chevrolet on the west side of 27th Ave as well. It was a sad testament to what had happened to the city. I live in Winter Haven now and just celebrated 50th Anniverserary. Great steak sandwich. Even when he fell in love - and that was frequently - he was never submerged by disappointment. My parents moved into Hialeah in 1953 so i can relate to the later pictures,Fond memories. Dibb posted this comment in my Guestbook and I am reposting it here in hopes that someone will provide the answer to his question: Don, while visiting this page tonight I spotted the comments about "The Snackery". I live right in back of it in a new apartment complex and run by Mrs, Mack. I do not see it listed, it is now a day care center!! Comments from folks who grew up in the 1970's and 80's - click on image to view, VeteranAid.org - valuable information on the little known VA Aid and Attendance Program - click on image to view, Oldest Comments Gallery - August 2006 through July 31, 2008 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, Older Comments Gallery - August 1 thru December 31, 2008 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, Older Comments Gallery - January 1, 2009 thru January 17, 2010 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, OLD Comments Gallery - January 18 thru June 30, 2010 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, OLD Comments Gallery - July 1 through December 31, 2010 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, OLD Comments Gallery - January 1 through June 30, 2011 - closed to new comments - click on image to view, Rogues Gallery - photos of our comments gallery contributors - click on image to view, http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Longest-Sandwich-World-Florida/dp/B01N5IYNDJ, http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article50450690.html, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/132573219, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/132573219/original, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/memories_shopping, http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/91926149. Guest of 9-JUN-2015: I'm working on the images you sent and they should be up on this page in an hour or two. Send me a photo of the Lagoon and I'll be glad to add it. Went to the Edison Center moives every Saturday. It was on Flagler about 14th Ave. There was an A&W Rootbeer stand on the corner of US1 and SW 141 St. just north of perrine. I noticed that recently the building has been converted into a Fuddrucker's. The year was 1970 when we opened it and sold our share out and moved to North Carolina and built one here 20 miles N. of Asheville, N.C. We sold it as my husband got sick and passed away 6 years ago. Funny little window joint across from the Grove theatre on Grand Ave. Yum. I cannot now remember the name of the place they has on 17th St in Ft Ld, the building is gone now. Think I solved my own mystery (below), after some extensive GoogleStreetViewing of the area. Although it didn't hold up against Chili's, TGI Fridays, and Applebee's, there was a time when it was fairly ubiquitous throughout the states. THAT's where little kids learned what "gourmet" wasand romance, too, I guess! Weve rounded up the top 25 places in the Magic City worthy of checking out where you can can get a heaping side of nostalgia along with a delicious meal and beverage. Category 20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Vintage 1970s Restaurants. It later bacame known as Little JP'S. I could go on and on. I remember The Dutchess Bar as well as the Dive In Bar between 17th ave and 18th ave. Any info on these would be nice. My father Morton Gregg used to own a combination deli/Chinese restaurant in the early-70's called Naytons. What a wonderful collection of images. Tom from Hollywood, Thank you, both Dons!! As if to signal its catastrophic fall from grace, in 1972 the Democratic National Convention was hosted in Miami Beach; riots and revolt broke out everywhere. The pic may be up there, but I missed it. Lila Nikla. I am too buried with photo work and family stuff to be a researcher of old information for viewers of this site. A bunch of us that graduated in '58 went to the Red Diamond Inn after graduation, sang the school song and just laughed and cried. If anyone has a photo of The Pub or knows where I can get permission to use such a photo please let us know. My dad had a grocery store, Quality Market, just a few blocks up the street, on 7th Av and 15th St. What a wonderful website. Since 1955 this watering hole has attracted some of countrys most notable musicians, athletes and even politicians, who have walked through its doors to sip on a brew or two. Does anyone remember Leonard's LaPena? Originally part of the Pillsbury Corp., the restaurant was founded in 1976. South Beach had earned such a horrible reputation that it almost changed its name to Oceanside. They had a color TV at the pool that the adults would watch every night. Miami might be a young city in the grand scheme of things it was only incorporated in 1896 but we still have plenty of spots that have some history behind them that also serve solid food and drink. The Cuban bakery has been around for 42 years and has grown to over 13 locations since its humble beginnings in Hialeah in the early 70s. DONATE, Before the money moved in, Kings Cross was a place for born-and-bred locals, clubs and crime, See what really went on during that time in NYC's topless go-go bars, Chris Stein 's photographs of Debbie Harry and friends take us back to a great era of music. Great Chinese Restaurant - China City - on SW 8th Street and 19th Avenue. They also had locations on 27th Ave and 183rd St, N.W 103rd St just over the bridge heading into Hialeah, and just east of the 163rd Street Shopping Center. I did a brief search and did not find what you are referring to. Welcome Jeanne and Mary Ann and thank you for posting your comments and memories. I'll have to stop by the Sir Pizza on the key the next time we go over there. Does anyone remember The Merry-Go-Round Restaurant across US I from UM? And Yumbrella? Even more famous than its clandestine dealings was itsprime ribnight on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Lorne Greene had something to do with developing PSN which is why the floor plans were called "The Ponderosa" and so on. Does anyone remember Roy's Ribs in Coconut Grove and The Famous Restaurant on Miami Beach ? Sharon W. Miami Beach, FL. Golden Temple Natural Food Restaurant at 423 South Mill Avenue in Tempe in the late 1970s. What a great place to live at the time. Sarasota Florida. We used to go to the one on N.W. Since the year began, we have seen the closing of newer spots like Porfirios, Pi Pizzeria, Campania (sister restaurant to veteran Sardiania), Teds at YoungArts, and Gastropod in Aventura Mall, as well as well-known locations like Khong River House, Oolite, Ticety Tea, and Serendipity 3. Owning and operating a restaurant is a tough feat and not for the faint of heart. Does anyone else remember Bill's Barbecue on S.W. See our. Gleason and his sun and fun capital of the world in 1968. Since the year began, we have seen the closing of newer spots like Porfirio's, Pi Pizzeria, Campania (sister restaurant to veteran Sardiania), Ted's at YoungArts, and Gastropod in Aventura Mall, as well as well-known locations like Khong River House, Oolite, Ticety Tea, and Serendipity 3. Ultimately, Dahdah decided keeping the venerable restaurant open made less financial sense than razing the property and turning the space into a mixed-use commercial/residential property. Was the other in the Springs called Brothers two?? 7th Ave in Miami, and BBQ Barn a couple miles north on 7th ave. Dows anyone remember the Trio Diner on SW 8th Street and 37 Ave? Brenda Fertig Are you the Don Boyd from NMSH? They left, went and threw their paper routes and when they came back they saw police cars at the Royal Castle. You might enjoy perusing those.. Report as inappropriate. Marcellas garlic rolls will be in my memory until the day I die. But what has kept it going for over 50 years isnt its cheap beer (which we admit is a nice bonus) but its grilled burgers and wings that have won numerous accolades over the many decades. They later opened the Chesapeake Seafood, Gaye, yes I can fully understand your embarrassment at Billy's! The Car Hop Drive-in was located on the corner of Flagler St. and Red Road. When you ask someone about Cuban food in Miami, this restaurant will probably top their list. I can only add what I have photos of and until someone sends in photos of the places you mentioned they won't be on the site. Glad to see the pictures. Having lived in Miami when it was called the Magic City, love the memories this brings back. I was born in 1942 and raised in S. Dade. What a great Site !! It's all concrete now. Go to the Hialeah Park gallery for more information on the track. Great memories for a kid from Minnesota. My father owned and operated it from 1947 to 1958. Thank you for a great site. While it may be slightly hidden off US1, locals know this is one of top spots in town for fresh seafood. The Egg Rolls were delicious. Used to go there in the late sixties. Had some good meals there. Some of them became Big Daddy's [now Flanigan's], I know the 27 Birds was one of them. The one you mention at 79th and Miami Avenue is not in here, only because no one has sent one in and I've been unable to find one. Located on S. Dixie North of North Kendall Drive. The finest steaks and lobsters Don, what a great site. In the end, the convention went on, but Miamis brand as the sun and fun capital of the world was gone. I grew up in Carol City in St. Monica's parish. The bar had once been the venue for Jimmy Durante and Dean Martin. Very nice collection for memory lane. We rode bikes everywhere worry free. We could fill up on that. I didn't see any pictures of Arthur Maisels/Juniors at the Biscayne Shopping Plaza on 79th St. These portrait photographs of Russia's ruling Romanovs were taken in 1903 at the Winter Palace in majestic. Another TV commercial urging people away from the cold with their new jingle: When You Need It Bad, Weve Got It Good. Does anyone have a photo of the Majorette Drive In Restaurant on 79 St. and 5 Ave? Remember a little ice cream parlor on Flagler St, I think it was called Puritan. I have a couple photos but they are inside shots and dont show much. I was hoping someone besides myself remembered Leonard's La Pena on Bird Road. What was the name of the landmark restaurant that occupied the space on Lincoln Road, now the home of Khong River House? Freedom Tower was built in 1925 and housed the Miami News. Would anyone have any pictures of Santacroce's Italian restaurant in Coral Gables? For those of you who are new to computing and/or surfing the internet, this is just one page of many pages of photos on this site. By submitting your email, you agree to our. across the street from Kelly's Drive Inn. La Piata has since relocated to Seventh Avenue and Camelback Road, in the former Mary Coyle Ol' Fashion Ice Cream place. Now that I am trying to research it, it seems as though many restaurants claim they have the best garlic rolls. When you think of Lums the original I believe was on 41st Street.They later featured the Ollie Burger which was the recipe from Ollies near Beach High. It was my Dad's and we have none! We will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in June of this year. Also, Roney Pub, Rascal, Wolfies. Does anyone remember the Par-Tee (?) Old Florida. Don thank you so much for putting my photos on your site. can't wait to drive by springview and MS jr high and down westward drive again-maybe i'll even bring my bike for old time sakes, does anybody remember a dairy bar out by the airport??? A chain owned by two brothers, their corp. was called "A Trysting Place". The ebb and flow of Miamis culinary scene means not just navigating a crowded marketplace, but being prepared to pivot as necessary, to stay abreast of trends and know when to move on and start something fresh. In the 70's that was a new concept. Drop me a line at OldMiamiMemories@gmail.com. It is one of the few places around here that existed in the fifties, and it was known to be a clandestine spot for its underground ambiance, providing a one-stop shop for wheelings and dealings, says former general manager Ricardo Gutierrez. It is mentioned in comments in other galleries. the architects that were hired to renovate the museum in the late 1970's when French President Valery. Great fries too. Wonderful trip back in time. The very best Escargo. The one in Plantation closed as well but there's a Beverly Hills Cafe in Miami Lakes still. This one opened in 1957 at the Cove Yacht Basin on the Intracoastal Waterway at Hillsborough Boulevard and could be accessed. I also wondered if anyone remembers the famous candy store near The Pantry that used to sell hand dipped chocolate fruits. The show had a significantly positive impact on the citys image, and it was well on its way to restoration due to a number of factors beyond Miami Vice an economic upturn, better (less corrupt) law enforcement, a decline in the cocaine wars, Versace and a massive migration of the gay community. This comment was removed from a prohibited page and is now located on this more appropriate page: Brenda, Google is your friend and you should use it. We ate at the Royal Castle on NW 95th Street, I got my first bike from the bike shop next door. Gallery - All Years - click to view An important part of growing up in the Miami area were the restaurants, drive-ins, bars, lounges, etc. they Owned a resturant on U.S 1 and about 132 st. S.W. No one ever mentions Hart's and no one seems to remember it??? Googie . Segregation was very evident in those days and blacks were forced to order from a window and eat on benches outside the restaurant. Knowing what was to follow, the venue was apposite. It has always been a place where people stand out. Sadly they are no longer around. Also, anyone remember the Red Barn by the tracks that divided Hialeah and Miami, on 79th St? Located in the heart of Little Havana, it has gained a loyal following for its "Pan con Minuta" snapper sandwich and along with other seafood specialities that are still some of the most competitively priced in town. What we always missed the most was the good food and the beautiful water. Guest (Norman Rose), it's funny that you asked that question because I ran across a 1960 ad for New England Oyster House today and in the ad they list Loffler Brothers Oyster House. It was a strip joint and the kids, boys, would try to look in the always open door. My husband and I owned it with our partner. I also thought it might be the Trocedero because I am not convinced it was Italian, I only remember that it had unusual and awesome garlic rolls. . I remember once we were there and the rolls were not ready and the customers were going crazy until they came out.
Cobblestone Auto Spa Cancel Membership, Fifa Football Stadiums Technical Recommendations And Requirements, Anthony D'amico Chicago, Lolo Soetoro And Halliburton, Articles OTHER