Master Faceter, Avid Rock Hound, World Traveler. as well as detailed information that will interest any rockhound. You can also read through my free rock identification guide and mineral identification guide which are filled with useful information and tools. This interest of mine has lasted until today, so I decided to create this website. (I do not live in the US right now.). google_color_border="1B1B1B"; You can find agate, allanite, lithium minerals, magnetite, manganese minerals, uranium minerals, and bentonite. There is of course another way to find larger pieces of peridot in the area. In the case of petrified wood, you are only allowed to take around 25 pounds, plus one piece, each day, and you cant exceed 250 pounds of petrified wood in any calendar year without a permit. PurpleCamping, international trips; excursions. While you cant collect rocks within those parks, the fantastically complicated and gorgeous geology found within their borders is a testament to the complex geological history of the area. Cancel. Obsidian isnt listed here since we know how much rockhounds love this igneous rock, so let us talk about obsidian separately. Johnson County is located in north-central Wyoming. circumstances since the article was originally published in 1989, it remains a valuable guide for anyone seeking additional resources in the pursuit of their interests, A relatively large area between Labarge and Granger, Lincoln, Sweetwater, and Uinta Counties also contains chalcedony. Some people say that they have a lot of success near the reservoir, but this hasnt been too true for my family. Thank you for your reply! This bundle of information includes a book, videos, and online tools. While there may have been changes in hours of public viewing, business location and/or other Wyoming is full of jades, mostly of the nephrite class, and the jadeite class, which sounds like something out of Star Wars. For reference, Ive explored both directions in a small, Cheep Patriot [sic]. It should be no surprise that there are several rockhound societies in Wyoming worth checking into. 08-13-11 A very hot day to rockhound with cool marcasite, 09-03-11 Crystal park quartz crystals and bread, 10-15-11 Another world class pseudomorph deposit, 2012 Denver gem and mineral show report fall, 2013 Denver gem and mineral show report fall, 2013 Rockhounding and mineral collecting reports, 04-06-13 Shirley basin agates and calcite, 04-13-13 red feather quartz crystals and a surprise mineral, 2014 Denver gem and mineral show report fall, Denver Coliseum Mineral Fossil and Gem Show, International Gem Jewelry Show denver 2014, Denver gem and mineral show 2010 report fall, Denver mineral show report 2010 fall part 2, Denver mineral show report 2010 fall part 3, Denver mineral show report 2010 fall part 4, Denver mineral show report 2010 fall part 5, Photo report Denver gem mineral rockhounding show 2011, Denver gem and mineral show report 2010 spring, Denver gem and mineral show report 2011 spring, Links to other Rock show reports Tucson , Denver, Blue Forest Wyoming petrified wood location, Copper Mountain Pegmatite District Wyoming. Some areas of individual parks are legal to rockhound, but it all depends on the state. Public access with nice walk in. google_ad_type="text_image"; Obsidian is abundant in the park, with the most famous location to find these beauties being the Obsidian Cliff. However, anywhere in the area around Black Rock should be good, and maybe to the west, too, which I havent checked yet. Obsidian Cliff is located in the northwest region of Yellowstone. ), let me know. TIP: Opal is a one-of-a-kind, highly valuable gemstone. However, that hasnt limited their successful innovation and progress. Gold can also be found in Park County, specifically the Wood River and Sunlight Basin areas. PDF Maps; Google Maps. Hi!! In that case, you might want to explore the Kortes Dam area and the Sierra Madre Mountains. Rockhounds can explore most of Wyoming's geologic products up close because over 50% of the state is public land! google_color_link="000000"; The road is really easy going, but the locals arent friendly, even by my states standards. Triceratops fossils are mostly found in the Hell Creek Formation in the Black Hills region of South Dakota, eastern Wyoming. Do NOT attempt unless dry. 11 Essential Rock Tumbling Tips - Get Better Results! Use caution. Specimens may become depleted from other collectors, the location may have been built on or altered, locality information in literature may be inaccurate, and property ownership may have changed hands. RedLong-duration hikes, typically 5+days. i am wondering if we can even make it to the top. The many mountain ranges and associated volcanic activity throughout the state have created a perfect geologic environment for the creation of many interesting gemstones that you can now find in countless locations across the region. So where to rockbound in Wyoming, and what can you find? If you want to find gemstones, such as amethyst, a great place in Park County is Amethyst Mountain. google_color_bg="1B1B1B"; Wyoming is home to some incredible jade specimens, mainly of the classes nephrite and jadeite. You may also find gold along with parts of the Snake River in the southern part of Jackson Hole, northwest Wyoming. I will as usual get a BLM map and make necessary calls for sure after reading reply. I encourage you to check them out if you are curious about the legalities of rock and mineral collecting. Search for maps by using the main search field (this will search all columns and some un-displayed information such as keywords, counties and product SKU numbers). To gain permits for rockhounding in Wyoming, please check the BLM website here. Located east of Boysen reservoir on the south flank of the owl creeks. Precambrian metamorphic rocks are abundant in Wyoming. Welcome to the Wyoming State Geological Survey Interpreting the past, providing for the future Take our Survey for a Chance to Win a Map! Blue forest petrified wood near Granger, WY: 11.) So pack up your stuff, since once you read this, you might want to move to Wyoming and start rockhounding! The True Worth of Agates. Most of the collectible material in the area is in the quartz family. The GPS map below shows how I drove, as well as the two main places I walked which had good anthills. Sweetwater County is located in the southwestern part of Wyoming. Fossil Mountain & Darby Wind Cave near Jackson, WY: 8.) or Forgot password? During my brief exploration, I didnt have time to find the gems, but did get diverted by the thousands of exposed fossils. google_color_text="FFFFFF"; This paper has an alternate location along the logging road. Fish fossils and some shark teeth near Farson, WY: 13.) I keep a good GPS on me so that they cant fuss me out too much, because they can and do fence in public land and claim its private. 17. The majority of these locations are my interpretation of Robert Bestes A Location Guide for Rock Hounds in the United States. Through quite a bit of research and cross-referencing of available literature, I have compiled this list of some prospective locations in Wyoming which I would recommend to people looking to do some rockhounding. Here at Rockhounding Maps, we give you access and information to the best dig sites for crystals and minerals in Wyoming. BTW: Check out this amazing metal sign (Amazon link) which is perfect for everyone who loves rockhounding in Wyoming! The ant hills are basically everywhere if you get out and walk around, and your biggest issue will most likely be needing 44 to get there, and especially across the creek to the north. Rockhounding is incredible, but its even better when youre a member of a club or society. Palmer Canyon is the place to be if you want to find sapphire. I enjoy collecting and tumbling rocks with my daughter and traveling the world with my wife seeing geologic wonders. The specimens found here vary from blue, and light gray, to deep colors such as violet. Check out how to cut and polish petrified wood in the article below:How To Cut & Polish Petrified Wood: Follow These 3 Steps. The higher hills to the west (the mesas and buttes) are all ultrapotassic and mafic rocks. We are noobies at rockhounding and shark teeth have been on our bucket list. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "rockhoundreso-20"; In the Absaroka Mountains, you may discover opal, galena, or molybdenite. These rockhounding sights ofWyoming are mostly on public land but a good blm ownership map isrecommended allowing you to stay off private land. She said she was looking for Sand People.. These rockhounding sights of Wyoming are mostly on public land but a good. Rockhounding is recognized as a legitimate recreational pursuit on nearly all of the 18 million acres of public land in Wyoming. This place is located in the south part of Wyoming, and Albany County is located on its eastern side. Membership is only $15 for adults 18 and up. Wyoming is home to Yellowstone National Park, which spans over 2 million acres. Other sources include: North Carolina Rockhounding Location Guide & Map, Montana Rockhounding Location Guide & Map. TIP:Dont forget to follow all the safety recommendations when rockhounding because your health is always the most important. This website also participates in Google Adsense. Albany County is located in the bottom easter part of Wyoming, having its border with the northern Colorado state line. Lets dig in! Follow the road a short distance until it splits; stop at the fork and walk up the washed-out left road for a few hundred feet. That was a joke. Albany County is in the bottom eastern portion of Wyoming and borders the northern Colorado state line. LockA locked padlock Drive up the garbage road toward White Mountain and park near the area with the in-ground tank, then follow the trails west into the lower hills. And if you have any tips (Ill keep your finds a secret! Is the watermelon rock you mentioned in article of the tourmaline family? Peridot in ant hills and arroyos near Black Rock Butte. Thanks again for this site. However, I have compiled a list of resources here so that you may investigate and obtain permission for any locations (found here or elsewhere) for yourself. what are the host rocks associated with watermelon rock and the labradorite? GreenDay hikes; can be done as overnights. Winton petrified wood near Rock Springs, WY: 5.) The Hot Park Area is near the Sierra Madre Mountains, and barite is commonly found a few miles southwest of Encampment. google_ad_height=600; Most of the mining has been less than 20 feet . There is plenty of BLM and National Forest land to collect on in Wyoming which is, in general, open for public use. I'm starting with the most popular and working my way to the more obscure. This is where the famous Yellowstone National Park is located, which stretches for more than 2 million acres. The Sand Creek and Red Buttes areas of Albany County are full of sedimentary rocks. Rainbow agates have been found along the Wind River near Riverton. I have created guides for every U.S. state including thousands of rockhounding sites - and continue to add more every day. The famous Triceratops fossils are plentiful in Wyoming; however, the Knightia Fish is the official state fossil of Wyoming. 08-07-11 Elusive Wyoming fluorite specimens. Hi Frank. Near the Sierra Madre Mountains, in the Hot Park Area, barite is commonly found, a couple of miles southwest of Encampment. The sapphire specimens found in the Canyon vary from blue and light grey to deeper colors, including violet. In fact, Wyoming is home to a unique variety of agate called Turritella agate that is extremely popular with local collectors. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; TIP: A great deal of petrified wood is not suitable for rock tumbling or lapidary work because it has too many faults and fractures. Agatized fossil shells near Rock Springs, WY: 14. If youre into gemstones like amethyst, I suggest checking out Amethyst Mountain; it got its name for a reason. Fremont, Sweetwater, Washakie, Natrona, and Carbon Counties are all prime rockhound locations to find Jade. Wyoming is home to a large array of rocks and minerals that will be of interest to the collector, some of which are fairly unique to the area. Wyoming is among the best rockhounding places in the U.S., and this is partly because around 50% of its lands are public! This area was explored by a South African diamond company briefly but nothing came of it. Suitable for the advanced backpacker. These public lands administered by the BLM are open to everyone to take limited amounts of rock material for noncommercial purposes without charge. The counties are alphabetized, and within each county the locations are . Rockhounding is recognized as a legitimate recreational pursuit on nearly all of the 18 million acres of public land in Wyoming. Natrona County is located in central Wyoming, and it is another excellent county when it comes to rocks or minerals. Sharktooth Ridge teeth and trace fossils near Rawlins, WY: 6.) Gold can also be panned in Douglas Creek in the Medicine Bow Mountains of southeastern Wyoming, or the Sweetwater River and tributaries in the southern part of the Wind River Mountains. Speaking of Laramie, you can find in the Laramie Range amphibole, cordierite, epidote, orthoclase and plagioclase minerals, garnet, magnetite, and mica minerals, among many other materials. The Rocky Mountain area, the Encampment district in Carbon County, Hartville district, Platte County, the Copper Mountain district, Precambrian pegmatites in Fremont and Natrona Counties, the Black Mountain, and the Copper Mountain, The Eocene Wind River formation of the Gas Hills area, Fremont and Natrona Counties, the Shirley Basin area of Carbon County, the Fall River, and Lakota sandstones in the Black Hills area of Crook County, The Casper Mountain, Natrona County, Haystack Range, Goshen County, Laramie Range, Albany, and Laramie Counties, In Albany, Fremont, Johnson, Natrona, Washakie, and Weston Counties, north of Sundance in the Warren Peaks area of Crook County, In the Laramie Range, Albany and Platte Counties, the southern part of the Medicine Bow Range, Albany and Carbon Counties, the Copper Mountain area, The western half of the Bighorn Basin, of Bighorn, Hot Springs, Park, and Washakie Counties, the area between Labarge and Granger, Lincoln, Sweetwater, and Uinta Counties. Welcome to the Wyoming State Geological Survey Interpreting the past, providing for the future. No, this wont make you rich. In Wyoming, you can find sedimentary rocks such as bentonite, chert, coal, concretion-geode, conglomerate, gypsum, limestone-dolomite, oil shale, shale, taconite, or trona, among many others. Rockhounds can find all sorts of rocks and minerals, including: A look around the Wood River and Sunlight Basin areas can potentially lead to finding gold. The locations and information contained in this article are primarily derived from academic papers, online resources, and other outside sources. was featured in the November 2012 issue of Jade State News. If you explore the highway cut north of Laramie, you might find meteorites. In the table down below, you can see what other minerals can be found in Wyoming, and their exact locations. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=17-pa3pYy0AqN0D2Zh4cXklR9A7g&ll=39.483150381536596%2C-111.60763899999999&z=8, Rated R and 5 Stars: Septoplasty and More, Review: Green River Lakes Campground and Kayaking Green River, Wyoming, Review: Fun Overnight Hike to Powell Lakes, Wyoming, Review: Brewster, Lunch, & Shoal Lakes via Big Balls of Cowtown Trail. Another good place would be the 100 miles west of Casper County, discovered by a local rockhound. While Yellowstone makes the list for being one of the top rockhounding locations in Wyoming, unfortunately, rockhounding is not permitted there. Exploring the Laramie Mountain Range can lead to finding specimens like amphibole, epidote, plagioclase minerals, garnet, magnetite, and mica. Ill be adding to this in the coming years. Thanks! That is partly because of about 50 percent of the state's public land. I'm Mike Rhea, and I'm a professional Geologist with a passion for rocks, minerals, and everything related to Geology. Go to Albany County, since agates are commonly found near Marshall, located in northwestern Albany. Members have access to the Jade State Newsletter, containing news and updates on subjects concerning geology and mineralogy. Some of the more unique specimens you may be interested in are Turritella agates and nephrite jade which can both be found in relative abundance if you look in the right places. Sharktooth Ridge teeth and trace fossils near Rawlins, WY: 6.) If you want to dig for gems in Wyoming, Amethyst Mountain would be an excellent place to start. As with most states, each county in Wyoming will have records of who owns each piece of property.