Rest among the stars now, good sir., Director M. Night Shaymalan, who worked with Hurt on his film The Village, said Hurt was a master of his acting craft. 10:07 PM EDT, Sun March 13, 2022. He appeared in 2018s Avengers: Infinity War and 2019s Avengers: Endgame before his final appearance in last years Black Widow. In 2009, Hurt was nominated for an Emmy Award for playing scientist Daniel Purcell on the second season of FXs Damages, and received another nomination two years later for portraying former US Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson in Curtis Hansons HBO telefilm Too Big to Fail., He also was famous for his roles in movies such as Body Heat and Gorky Park., More recently, Hurt appeared as Marvel Comics character General Thaddeus Ross in The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame and Black Widow., Born in Washington, DC, Hurt attended Tufts University and eventually the Juilliard School. [25], In 1981, while he was still married, Hurt and Jennings began a relationship in Saratoga Springs, New York. Throughout his lengthy career, Hurt appeared in a number of major television shows and movies, including: A History of Violence (2005), The Village (2004), and Robin Hood (2010). He will be greatly missed., Rip #WilliamHurt, Jennifer Tilly wrote via Twitter alongside a poster for the movie Do Not Disturb. I had the privilege of directing him in The Village. He has recorded "The Polar Express", "The Boy Who Drew Cats", "The Sun Also Rises" and narrated the documentaries, "Searching for America: The Odyssey of John Dos Passos", "Einstein-How I See the World" and the English narration of Elie Wiesel's "To Speak the Unspeakable", a documentary directed and produced by Pierre Marmiesse. I'll Scream Later. But that's OK, that's all right, that's the way it is. CONWAY Academy Award-winning actor William Hurt, who died Sunday, was hailed by fellow actors and news outlets around the world Monday for his roles in such movies as "Broadcast News," "Body Heat" and "Kiss of the Spider Woman." [7], Heard married actress Margot Kidder in 1979, but the marriage was dissolved after only six days. Oscar-winning actor William Hurt whose classic good looks and erudite persona made him one of the most recognizable male leads in the 1980s died Sunday, his family said. RIP, Mark Ruffalo said. He became a leading actor with Body Heat (1981), in which he . His portrayal as a gay prisoner in South America in the 1985 movie Kiss of the Spider Woman earned him as Oscar as well as a BAFTA Film Award for best actor. ", CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER, FILE - Actor William Hurt plays with his dog, Lucy, in Riverside Park in New York on Oct. 10, 2013. Legal Statement. I didnt want some big target on my chest saying: Hes an Oscar-winner, hes the one to be. I wanted to be an actor, so I was very confused about it. Born on March 20, 1950, William Hurt was an actor. For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews Subscribe on YouTube! (Amy Sussman/Invision/AP, File). The star continued his work on stage, also earning his first Tony Award nomination in 1985. And I know we have both grown. Hatfield never married. He said Hurt died peacefully, among family. The 'Kiss of the Spider Woman' star was 71 years old. For radio, Hurt read Paul Theroux's "The Grand Railway Bazaar", for the BBC Radio Four and "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx. ", Albert Brooks, his "Broadcast News" co-star, was among those responding to Hurt's passing. A second appearance in the third season episode "The Night of the Undead" had him portray the vengeful and mad Dr. He won the coveted trophy in 1985 for his role as a gay convict sharing the same cell as a political prisoner in South America in Kiss of the Spider Woman.. His starring roles in a series of critically acclaimed films garnered three consecutive nominations for the Academy Award for Best Actor: Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985), which he won; Children of a Lesser God (1986), and Broadcast News (1987). Alex Murdaugh sentenced to life in prison for murders of wife and son, Biden had cancerous skin lesion removed last month, doctor says, White supremacist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes kicked out of CPAC, Tom Sizemore, actor known for "Saving Private Ryan" and "Heat," dies at 61, Biden team readies new advisory panel ahead of expected reelection bid, At least 10 dead after winter storm slams South, Midwest, House Democrats unhappy with White House handling of D.C.'s new criminal code. William Hurt, a cast member in the Amazon series "Goliath," poses for a portrait during the 2016 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour at the Beverly Hilton on Sunday, Aug. 7, 2016, in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Rich Fury/Invision/AP, File). "Acting is a very intimate and private thing," Hurt told The New York Times in 1983. Hurt studied acting at Julliard and first emerged on the New York stage with the Circle Repertory Company. His parents divorced when he was young. Known for his performances on stage and screen, he received various awards including an Academy Award, BAFTA Award and Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actor. All rights reserved. The couple divorced seven months later. March 13, 2022 1:40pm. Some of his notable roles include performances in Dark City (1998), Lost in Space (1998), Sunshine (1999), A.I. Actor. William Hurt, a cast member in the Amazon series "Goliath," poses for a portrait during the 2016 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour at the Beverly Hilton on Sunday, Aug. 7, 2016, in Beverly Hills, Calif. ", First published on March 13, 2022 / 7:14 PM. The Oscar winner was 71. [7], Hurt attended the Middlesex School, where he was vice-president of the Dramatics Club and had the lead role in several school plays. Who was William Hurt and what was his cause of death? The New York court held that the relationship between Hurt and Jennings did not qualify as a common-law marriage under South Carolina law and found in Hurt's favor that no marriage existed. Wow, another Major loss to the acting community. Fellow iconic actors Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams, who passed away in 2004 and 2014, respectively. Theyve Had an Inappropriate Relationship For Months, How Black Creators Can Expand Their Network with LinkedIn, General Hospital Spoilers February 27 March 10. [29] In her 2009 autobiography I'll Scream Later, Matlin said that their relationship involved considerable drug abuse and physical violence from Hurt,[30] including a rape. Now, it's a little bit more like, 'Okay, I realize you have to pat me down with powder every three seconds.' (Rich Fury/Invision/AP . I think I had my time. Updated Gerry Byrne . From 2005 to 2006, Heard played the role of Governor Frank Tancredi in Prison Break. In 1990, Heard starred as Peter McCallister in the comedy Home Alone. It is with great sadness that the Hurt family mourns the passing of William Hurt, beloved father and Oscar winning actor, on March 13, 2022, one week before his 72nd birthday. CNN William Hurt, the Oscar-winning star of "Kiss of the Spider Woman," "The Big Chill," and "Broadcast News," has died, his son Will told The Hollywood Reporter. Legal Statement. [6] His parents divorced and, in 1960, his mother married Henry Luce III (19252005), a son of publisher Henry Luce. "[4], His follow-up films, The Diary of a Chambermaid (1946), The Beginning or the End (1947), and The Unsuspected (1947), were successful, but Joan of Arc (1948) was a critical and financial failure. [3], In the 1970s, Heard appeared on the stage and in television and film. Except that I could have played some bigger parts. Director David Lynch described him as "simply the greatest actor in the world". Leslie William Nielsen was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, and raised in Tulita (formerly Fort Norman), Northwest Territories. Hurt is father to four children with various women: Jeanne, Samuel, Alexander, and William Jr. Email us atexclusive@the-sun.comor call212 416 4552. He died. The family requests privacy at this time.". So sad to hear this news, Brooks wrote on Twitter Sunday. John Hurt. We've received your submission. William also received a Tony nomination for his work on Broadway in the 1985 dark comedy Hurlyburly, which references Shakespeares Macbeth. A New York court ruled in Hurt's favor, but the actor continued to have a strained relationship with fame. From 1977 to 1989, he was a member of the acting company at Circle Repertory Company. [19] In 2009, Hurt became a series regular on the FX series Damages playing a corporate whistleblower opposite Glenn Close and Marcia Gay Harden. William Hurt has died, according to a statement from his son Will. Key points: William Hurt's family said he died of natural causes. [28], He dated Marlee Matlin for one year, and they cohabited for two years. Oscar-winning actor William Hurt has died. William Hurt, the Oscar-winning star of "Kiss of the Spider Woman," "The Big Chill," and "Broadcast News," has died, his son Will told The Hollywood Reporter. I was a little bit of an arrogant jerk. Saddened to hear of the passing of actor William Hurt, tweeted Star Trek star George Takei. After this run of particularly prominent roles in the 1980s, Hurt began to appear more frequently in supporting roles. Great actor. "Working with him on 'Broadcast News' was amazing. In 2008, he portrayed Thaddeus Ross in The Incredible Hulk, a role he reprised in other Marvel Cinematic Universe films until his final appearance in Black Widow (2021). William Hurt passed away from natural causes. He was nominated for an Emmy Award in 1999 for guest-starring as Vin Makazian on The Sopranos (19992004). Albert Brooks wrote, R.I.P. Heard appeared at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center in 1977 in a series of new plays. [citation needed], In 1952, Hatfield appeared as Joseph in Westinghouse Studio One's The Nativity. He went on to date Sandra Jennings, Marlee Matlin, Heidi Henderson, and Sandrine Bonnaire. A high-profile court case ensued six years later in which Jennings claimed she had been Hurt's common-law wife under South Carolina law and thus entitled to a share of his earnings. Will Smith, byname of Willard Carroll Smith, Jr., (born September 25, 1968, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.), American actor and musician whose charisma and quick wit helped him transition from rap music to a successful career in acting. RIP.. For his role in the series, he earned a 2009 Primetime Emmy Award nomination in the "Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series" category. Hollywood Life He was 71. Hurt shared son Will as well as son Samuel, 32, with Heidi Henderson. The only other actors to have three consecutive Best Actor nods are Paul Muni, Spencer Tracy, Gregory Peck, Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson and Russell Crowe, according to the Hollywood Reporter. [8] He performed several times in the Soviet Union and developed a deep interest in Russian culture and religion. William McChord Hurt [1] [2] (March 20, 1950 - March 13, 2022) was an American actor. Shortly after came "Kiss of the Spider Woman," which won Hurt the best actor Oscar for his performance as a gay prisoner in a repressive South American dictatorship. In June 2007, Marvel Studios announced that Hurt would portray General Thaddeus Ross in the 2008 film The Incredible Hulk alongside Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, and Tim Roth. In 1957, he appeared in Beyond This Place, directed by Sidney Lumet. Hurt revived his career and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Richie Cusack in David Cronenbergs 2005 film A History of Violence, despite only appearing for a few minutes of screen time. ", "If a director tells me to make the audience think or feel a certain thing, I am instantaneously in revolt," Hurt said. The Hollywood Reporter said he died at his home in Portland, Oregon. William Hurt made him do it", "William Hurt returns to Portland for 'Vanya', "Ahab Has a Wife and a Heart. [1] [2] He possessed what was described as the "most distinctive voice in . [14] Hurt received particular acclaim for his role in A History of Violence, where despite less than 10 minutes of screen time, he received an Academy Award nomination. A Warner Bros. Fellow actors took to social media on Sunday to remember Hurts storied career, including Broadcast News co-star Albert Brooks. Hurt, whose father worked for the State Department, was born in Washington D.C. and traveled widely as a child while attending boarding school in Massachusetts. Though the accusations seemed to be taken lightly by the media at the time, amid the many sexual harassment and assault allegations recently made in Hollywood, Matlin's disturbing tale of her. That almost bland exterior in the opening scenes is what sets up the later emotional explosions, especially in movies like Altered States and Body Heat., When Hurt goes over the top, he appears to have started from a quieter place, and so he seems to have traveled a greater distance than a Mickey Rourke or a Robert De Niro. Did you encounter any technical issues? 2. In 1988, Hurt was awarded the first Spencer Tracy Award from UCLA. William McChord Hurt[1][2] (March 20, 1950 March 13, 2022) was an American actor. I didnt want to be isolated. 2 men found drugged after leaving NYC gay bars were killed, medical examiner says. William Rukard Hurd Hatfield (December 7, 1917 - December 26, 1998) was an American actor. It's work. "It . He will be greatly missed.. "He died peacefully, among family, of natural causes. William Hurt, whose laconic charisma and self-assured subtlety as an actor made him one of the 1980s foremost leading men in movies such as "Broadcast News," "Body Heat" and "The Big Chill," has died. In the iconic film, William starred opposite Raul Julia and Sonia Braga in the drama, set in dictatorship-era Brazil. After leaving Juilliard, Hurt took to the stage professionally in the 1970s. He portrayed General Thaddeus Thunderbolt Ross, a key player in 2008s The Incredible Hulk. Oscar-winning actor William Hurt, who appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross, dies at the age of 71. All Rights Reserved. Great mind. William Hurt, the Oscar-winning star of Kiss of the Spider Woman, The Big Chill, and Broadcast News, has died, his son Will told The Hollywood Reporter. Back in the 1980s, at one point William received three consecutive Oscar nominations in a row, starting with a win for Kiss of The Spider Woman. During this time he also starred in The Big Chill (1983), The Accidental Tourist (1988), Alice (1990), and One True Thing (1998). He briefly attended Tufts University to study theology, soon after transferring to Juilliard School to pursue acting. Related: His later movies included King David (1985) and Her Alibi (1989). [14][15] His cause of death was confirmed by the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner's office. Ross returned as the new Secretary of State in 2016s Captain America: Civil War. After "The Big Chill," he returned to the stage to star on Broadway in David Rabes "Hurlyburly," for which he was nominated for a Tony. The family requests privacy at this time., In the 1980s, the handsome, lanky blond star was nominated three years in a row for an Academy Award for best actor. Oscar-winning actor William Hurt whose classic good looks and erudite persona made him one of the most recognizable male leads in the 1980s died Sunday, his family said. "I am very proud to be an actor," Hurt said, accepting the award. [2] Early life [ edit] At the time of his death, Hatfield was writing his autobiography. ", In those years, Hurt also struggled with drug and alcohol abuse, and attended rehabilitation clinics. She maintained the historic Irish country home exactly as it was at the time of Hatfield's death. He was 71. Hurt died peacefully, among family, his son said. The back surgery did not play a role in his death. I dont owe anybody anything including the director. He was a master of his acting craft. He was then nominated for Children of a Lesser God in 1986, and Broadcast News in 1987. He was buried in South Side Cemetery in Ipswich, Massachusetts.[16][17][18][19]. Several of Hurts colleagues took to Twitter to share tributes to the actor. Hurt had several roles in television and theater. No sour grapes. "Im not there to make anyone else think or feel anything specific. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. After splitting from his first wife Mary Beth Hurt in 1982, William also spent a year in a relationship with actress Marlee Matlin, from 1985 to 1986. He won the statue for 1985s Kiss of the Spider Woman and enjoyed nominations for 1986s Children of a Lesser God and 1987s Broadcast News. Heard featured in a television production of The Scarlet Letter (1979) as Arthur Dimmesdale. Working with him on Broadcast News was amazing. As reported by Variety, Hurt passed away at the age of 71 on March 13 of natural causes, confirmed by his friend, Gerry Byrne.