Who cares what you think? ", There is a popular misconception that Smith himself was also abandoned by his biological father in real life when he was young and had "broken character" while delivering the rant which went from being directed towards Lou to being directed towards Smith's own real-life father. Lou and Phillip get into a heated argument about Lou's responsibilities as a father with Lou again claiming he was scared to be a father, which Phillip rejects, claiming he too was scared to be a father, but unlike Lou, he didn't run out on his family, but rather remained present for his children's lives, as a good and responsible man is supposed to do. Ain't like I'm still five years old, you know. : : I believe it's because of the show's big, beating, sincere, courageous heart. That happened. Now that the building is done, he gets to live in it. I'm sorry. Regrettably,The Fresh Prince of Bel-Airis full of fat-shaming jokes, particularly from Will toward Uncle Phil (and in one entire episode, they bring on royal guest starQueen Latifahjust to have her be a learning moment that overweight people have feelings too; Latifah and Smith sell the material, of course, but there's definitely a lack of depth in the exploration, which I guess means Mametwasright). It was selfish and cowardly, but that's what I did. It kinda stinks, is what I'm saying, even when these two male knuckleheads eventually learn their lesson. And then, Viola enters. You saw the light bulb go off, he said. Will believes that Uncle Phil is jealous and tells him that hes not his real dad. And, thankfully, I don't think it's any big spoiler to reveal that Viola does come around and attend the wedding after all thanks to a wonderful speech delivered by Will to his mother, a representation of the hope of future generations changing established patterns and prejudices for the better. During filming, the studio was completely silent a rarity for a comedy with a live audience. But that specific episode? Tells him he grew up on the streets of Baltimore. I understand. And I got pretty damn good at it too, didn't I, Uncle Phil? Before this scene, Will Smith disappeared. Smith rarely resorts to out-and-out anger in his Fresh Prince performances, but we see it here, and it is warranted. Every true Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fan knows the most emotional scene in the entire series. : Im messing up the lines because I wanted it so bad, Smith said in the podcast interview. He tore the old one down it was probably 16 feet high and 40 feet long. : : But hes a better parental figure than his actual dad, who lets his son down again. What millennial doesnt jump to finish the theme songs lyrics when prompted by Innnn West Philadelphia, born and raised? Dont act around me, act with me. The advice worked. I love when classic multi-cam sitcoms feel like excuses to put classic theater on television for the masses, and this episode has a wondrous scene that vaults into this hallowed ground. Will William 'Will' Smith And when it digs into this core, it doesn't need silly jokes. Smith said that he was originally supposed to sit at the bench and reflect on his uncle's words. Thing is, hes not really acting here much of Wills speech was ad-libbed and based on his own traumatic childhood. 'Bad Boys For Life', which filmed in Atlanta, Georgia. Firstly, Will Smith's father was very much present during his childhood. are heading to New England themselves to be closer to their family. In its six seasons on NBC, the series a grittier version of The Cosby Show that juxtaposed hip-hop culture with Black upper-class ethos tackled everything from racism to sexism to a two-step dubbed the Carlton.. Fearing for his safety his mother sent him out to Bel Air. But his words, as Uncle Phil's so often do, ring passionate with promise, with ideals, and with familial love. William 'Will' Smith It's entirely possible that two people named Smith that are completely unrelated could meet, fall in love, and start a family. : Nov 11, 2021, 12:36 PM. The two awkwardly find themselves talking with Lou claiming he's a self-employed truck driver now, and that he recently spoke to Will's mother, who informed him that Will was now in Bel-Air with his Uncle Phil and Aunt Vivian, so he drove down to see his son. I'ma get through college without him, I'ma get a great job without him, I'ma marry me a beautiful honey, and I'ma have me a whole bunch of kids. On the eve of Janice's wedding, a group of Banks women gather in the kitchen, unable to sleep, to snack on wedding treats and chat. He rages at his cousin about the futility of violence and revenge. By the time Phil and Viv show up to bail them out, and for Phil to deliver a typically fiery speech about what justice should look like in this country (delivered to a particularly weaselly-looking Hank Azaria), the damage is done. : To hell with him! They said, Rap? My mother graduated from Carnegie Mellon. In the episode, Wills father shows up unexpectedly after a 14-year absence. : The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air is a FANDOM TV Community. James Avery was relentlessly on me to elevate. While hes hugging me, he whispers in my ear, 'Thats f---ing acting right there, recalled Smith, who also revealed the motivation behind that performance. Usually, the director would retake the scene, but really, nothing could replace this moment. I had *fourteen* great birthdays without him. attentiveness vs attention will smith fresh prince dad scene script. Will runs up to him to give him a big hug. William 'Will' Smith: Hey, why should I be mad? They were all pretty the same: the dialogue would get cheesy (well, cheesier) and the music, sappy (sappier). Will Smith helped co-write the script for this scene. Geoffrey Butler: I am not your Uncle Philip. Home; About. William 'Will' Smith You know what, you ain't got to do nothing, Uncle Phil. Just cool down. Will and his dad, Willard Carroll Smith, Sr., remained on good terms until he passed away in November 2016. Look, why are you telling me this now? It's tricky to reckon with "Just Say Yo" with modern eyes. Those qualities are all self-weaponized, manifesting in self-destructive ways. What is the Spanish language plot outline for Papa's Got a Brand New Excuse (1994)? ", "He kept me in line. If you listen closely, you can hear Karyn Parsons (Hilary) crying backstage. Speaking of "Will's father is out of the picture". He was born in 1973 in West Philadelphia. This pages comprises the full verbal transcript of the first episode of Season 1 - The Fresh Prince Project. Philip: Yeah, then why did he say it? : By Awa | He's fond of structure, of status, of systems. William 'Will' Smith The duo was forced to pivot when 'Fresh Prince' came along. Classic Black sitcoms like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Living Single are finally streaming. And I'm a different man now. It's purely powerful stuff, the kind of moment that immediately casts the rest of the episode in a better glow. Will Smith: Yo yo, G, G, G, let me rap to you for a second man. I started feeling trapped. For survival, please dont marry this man.". In the episode, Will's deadbeat father Lou (played by Broadway legend Ben Vereen) returns after a 14-year absence to spend time with his son. But Viola is ready to boycott the wedding, and forbid her son from going, too. Ben Vereen (Lou) stated in an interview that he broke into tears himself after walking out of the camera shot. I'm Will's father Hilary Banks How Many Of These 90s One Hit Wonders Can You Name. Avery, a trained Shakespearean actor, represented the strong father figure; Smith, four years into his first acting gig, the young man coming into his own manhood; and Vereen, a theater vet, was a man lost. Will's father is a deadbeat who left him and his mom flat. Zuckerman firmly squashed the rumor in a 2020 article, stating the entire episode and that scene in particular were tightly scripted, citing Smith's acting ability as a testament to it seeming spontaneous. The young actor would go on to deliver one of the biggest emotional punches in Fresh Prince history. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is a 1990s sitcom that stars Will Smith as a fictionalized version of himself. Reply . Will's father Lou shows up after 14 years and spends a lot of time with Will. But these are all catchy seasonings to a fundamentally kind, responsible, and curious main dish. Uncle Phil helps his nephew find a new California apartment on his own, and he'll continue his collegiate studies in the state, too. Will Smith: Oh, my fault, man. Having three Black male actors in an intensely dramatic scene on a comedic series only added to the power of the moment. An emotional Will lets his frustration out in a conversation with Uncle Phil, but things got really sad when he finally breaks down in tears. He's joyful, performative, and cares not what others think about him. "Being Black isn't what I'm trying to be, it's what I am," says Carlton, plainly, making sure Top Dog knows he's the real sellout before leaving. Damn, I didn't think a scene from "The Fresh Prince" would hit me that hard. | Excuse me, bring the horses around would you, ha! Lou claims it was great to see Will again, and Will responds "You too Lou" instead of Dad, officially disowning Lou as his father. Up until that point, they were thinking of [Smith] as a TV actor, Vereen said of the young mans burgeoning film career. 2019 Ted Fund Donors Lou Smith When Will and Carlton are held up at gunpoint at an ATM, a shot is fired, and Will is the victim. The thing I connect to is: I do not have to build a perfect wall today. Jensen said Avery, who died in 2013, was a driving force on set. That he knew struggles and overcame them. Published Feb 2, 2021. Will seemingly understands, but he realizes that Lou's just trying to weasel his way out of the situation, and their trip isn't going to happen at all. Philip Banks: I'm sorry. He tries to make the exit without Will noticing, but Will does. The two collapse into an embrace. It was a formula that clearly worked, considering theres a good chance well be seeing more of the Tanners soon, but it was super-corny, especially when compared to another so-called kids show that was on the same time, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. | So why did you? Both parties have lots to positively learn about each other. Okay? : However, Lou announces to Vivian and Phillip that he has to leave immediately to make a business shipment, and he's gotta be open for more shipments, so the trip he promised Will isn't going to happen as he planned it. But in fact, Wills dad was an active participant in his sons life, and even encouraged him. Prior to 'Fresh Prince' both Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff were set on releasing albums. Dont act around me, act with me, Smith recalled Avery saying. Well, I hate to break it to you, but that's just not true. Philip and Vivian Banks enter the living room to meet Will. He was drawing from personal experience because his dad had left when he was a baby and when he became famous because of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air he turned up like nothing had happened. [takes out a small statue of a father sitting with his son on his lap]. In reality, Smith's parents separated when he was 13 but his father remained a major figure in his life up to his death in 2016. 1.3k. Daddy-O! William 'Will' Smith This wasnt the physical comedy at which Smith the rapper excelled. Its already in there, you know what it is. Whether youre a lifelong resident of D.C. or you just moved here, weve got you covered. I was actually at the taping. Guess what happens next. : Will, as he is wont to do, acts a fool; and Carlton, as he is wont to do, hops over every task with a double front-flip, cleaning up the joint while he's at it. He's now his own person, living in his new life, that he himself built this whole time. It's a scene even the most casual ofFresh Prince fans have committed to memory, effectively staged and played without a studio audience to give us any emotional relief. You might notice his hat coming off. The fatherhood episode was pivotal, Jensen added, because it marked Smiths arrival as a force to be reckoned with. It's a shocking, plainspoken admission of society's privilege, one that gives the character tons of empathy and understanding. How come he don't want me, man? I might have been 12 and my brother 9 when one day he decided he wanted a new front wall at his shop. Will says in one episode, while the camera tilts up to literally show the studio lights). Fourteen years and acts like nothing has happened. Lou Smith He never even sent me a damn card! He loves pizza and the Mortal Kombat movie. [He] wouldnt give me a damn inch, said Smith in a 2018 interview with podcast Rap Radar. With Wednesday's press night under her belt and a standing ovation to . : He's an associate editor for Collider and has written for Shudder, CBS, Paste Magazine, Guff, Smosh, Obsev Studios, and more. Olivia Singh. We see this formative piece of growing up reacted to in two different ways a very problematic one, that happens to be driven by two leading men; and an incredibly sensitive, sincere, and real one, that happens to be driven by two leading women. I rarely cried for a sitcom, but this is it. Stream It Or Skip It: 'Love at First Kiss' on Netflix, a Spanish Rom-Com About a Man Gifted with 'Romantic Clairvoyance' Stream It Or Skip It: 'Tonight You're Sleeping With Me' on Netflix, a . I had always been interested in shows with fathers, because I grew up with a single parent, he said. Excuse me. I'ma get through college without him, I'ma get a great job without him, I'ma marry me a beautiful honey, and I'ma have me a whole bunch of kids. Geoffrey Butler: Master William, walk this way. In another interview with Reader's Digest, he explained that his father actually supported his dreams of pursuing a career in music. You know what? When the time has come for Top Dog to choose his new candidate, Carlton assumes he'll get picked, and Will's foolishness will not be tolerated. : Will Smith said he improvised his character's piano moment in the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" pilot. Some business came up I gotta handle. Whatever. The pair attempt to rebuild their relationship and even plan activities together, but when the time came for them to embark on their trip, Lou bailed.