sunodia, Luke 2:44). F. F. Bruce, The Book of Acts, Revised Edition (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1988), fn. 2 What was the decision of Ananias and Sapphira? Many are the plans in a mans heart, But the counsel of the LORD, it will stand (Proverbs 19:21). 11 The Lord told him, Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsusp named Saul, for he is praying. 130 In our text, we are told the Saul went to the high priest to ask for letters from him to the synagogues in Damascus (9:1-2), but in Acts 22:5-6 Paul indicates that the Council (the Sanhedrin) was also involved in providing him with letters of authorization to arrest Christians in Damascus. It was due to the intervention of Barnabas, a man who would prove to be a lifetime friend of Paul, that the apostles risked a meeting with him and then granted him the freedom to associate with the saints in Jerusalem. That is all we know about Ananias - the small but essential part he played at the start of Paul's pilgrimage of faith. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. After that Saul was welcomed by the Christians and he preached freely in and around Jerusalem. 12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. When her lie had been exposed, she also fell down and died at Peters feet. We honor him on May 14. To the church, Saul turned out to be a friend, a fellow-believer, in fact, a flaming evangelist, who proclaimed Christ more clearly and powerfully than anyone had previously done in Damascus. It is not a transition, but a transformation. on it belonged to the Roman province of Syria, but had a measure of municipal autonomy in the loose federation of cities called the Decapolis. F. F. Bruce, The Book of Acts, Revised Edition (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1988), p. 181. The first thing we shall do is to make some observations on the passage as a whole to attempt to see the forest before we scrutinize the trees. 21All who heard him were astounded and said, Is not this the man who in Jerusalem ravaged those who call upon this name, and came here expressly to take them back in chains to the chief priests? Why this swift act of judgment? At first Ananias was afraid because he knew how Saul persecuted the Christians, but the Lord said that Saul had a special ministry he must fulfill. Pauls opposition resulted in the scattering of the Christians from Jerusalem, thus taking the gospel to Judea, Samaria, and beyond (Acts 8:1; 11:19-21). He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him (Daniel 2:22). Saul was not seeking God. Saul was saved in spite of himself. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. 10Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus (A)named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, Ananias., 11So the Lord said to him, Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul (B)of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. He stayed some days with the disciples in Damascus, More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish in order that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to his death (Philippians 3:7-10). . And Jesus took the persecution of Christians very personally. (6) Little emphasis is placed on Sauls reception of the Holy Spirit, and nothing is said about what happened as Saul received the Spirit. Why was Ananias afraid of helping Saul? For the remainder of this essay, I will pursue the second option. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. How can this message of suffering for Jesus' name in Like Stephen, the enemies of the gospel attempted to kill Saul when they could not silence him by means of debate. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson. But hidden in its shadows is another inspiring story, and one to which most people in the pew may more easily relate. 16For (I)I will show him how many things he must suffer for My (J)names sake.. Acts 9:19-23 Saul in Damascus. There are no exceptions in this all of Romans 3:23, as Paul indicated in these Old Testament words, cited just before: THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE (Romans 3:10b-12). Hb```f``:Ab,=`.9Z3{x5v\);]c#qea #'&D|z:wyKN,0(t\tbRFhT2thS2(9.`mNbq)-pk^;>:+pq2Ck AUbK=N\2M/`KqGLZS1 $[S|Rd\.9i'9T\.EXdxlYcqb (3) Sauls salvation was personal. The passage which we are studying can be divided into these major segments: We will begin this lesson by making some general observations concerning this account of Sauls conversion,134 after which we will examine the sequence of events leading up to Sauls conversion, the events surrounding his conversion, and the consequences of his conversion as depicted by Luke. WebAnanias, I am sure. Jesus was alive and not still in the grave! Proving (sunbibazon). Jesus was LORD and not a false prophet! The call to salvation is also the call to a life of holiness and obedience. 9For three days he was unable to see, and he neither ate nor drank. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lords freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christs slave. 152 I do not mean to criticize the four laws of Campus Crusade, which have been used of God to bring many to faith in Christ. 23After a long time had passed, the Jews conspired to kill him, In the place of Ananias we would fear that it might not work out, and the consequences could be very serious. 149 It is more significant than might be supposed at first glance that the only occurrence of the title `Son of God in Acts should be in this report of Sauls early preaching. He sent me so that you can see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit. 18 Immediately, something that looked like fish scales fell from Sauls eyes. Paul was no ordinary followerhe became the most visible and active pillar of the new Christian church. How much better to petition God to save those whom we are concerned about, a God who desires all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4). Ananias was that kind of a disciple. 7 You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious (Ezekiel 1:4, 26-28; 2:1-7).143. 5He said, Who are you, sir? The reply came, I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.e Sauls Conversion. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. Or could it be that these disciples of Saul were Sauls disciples before his conversion, who accompanied him as he sought to capture Christians. And when the Galatians began to depart from the true gospel, Paul rebuked them for turning from Him: I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel (Galatians 6). And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. get answers to your Bible questions from 50+ resources ($2,400+ value! (4) Sauls salvation was miraculous. 4He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?d The "Straight Street" or Via Recta in Latin, was a straight The sin of Ananias and Sapphira was the first recorded sin in the newly organized church. 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence. 20 Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. Perhaps nowhere else is the radical change (of conversion) in Pauls life153 more readily evident than in his attitude toward the saints. It was irresistible argument and spread consternation among the Jews. The men who traveled with Saul were frightened and confused. After this incident with Paul we hear no more For He delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. There is a great basis for comfort in the sovereignty of God. Though I have fallen, I will rise. Saul took this most seriously, not eating or drinking until after his confession of faith by means of his baptism. It was evidently a term used by the early followers of Jesus to denote their movement as the way of life or the way of salvation. F. F. Bruce, The Book of Acts, Revised Edition (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1988), p. 181. A man once confessed to his pastor that even though he didnt think of himself as hating people, there was one person he really hated for the way the person had wronged him. The risen Lord selected Saul out of the group with which he was traveling to hear, to see Him, and to understand His words. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. Handed down. Then a voice said to him, Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?, Saul asked the voice, Who are you, sir?, I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. Why was Ananias afraid of helping Saul? 8Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing;* so they led him by the hand and brought him to Damascus.h This is very evident in the conversion of Saul. WebWe can understand why Ananias would be afraid of Saul. As I look at the problem, I believe several conclusions must be drawn. east-west thoroughfare through Damascus built by the Greeks after the city He was to come to the earth as the great light, the light to the Gentiles, and so He did. 28He moved about freely with them in Jerusalem, and spoke out boldly in the name of the Lord. In 47 B.C. Saul recognized that he was a sinner, and that his righteousness was but dung before God. How did God use Ananias in the New Testament? 17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. He was afraid because Saul killed Jesus’ followers🤨 There were three Ananiases in the Bible. The words of Jesus, Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? related by Luke with no variation in all three accounts, exerted a profound and lasting influence on the thought of Paul. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. It is impossible to overestimate the worth to the student of Christianity of this event from every angle because we have in Pauls Epistles his own emphasis on the actual appearance of Jesus to him as the fact that changed his whole life (1 Cor. 28 And he was with them moving about freely in Jerusalem, speaking out boldly in the name of the Lord. He says: It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. (Acts 9:11)? What is wrong with Ananias response to the Lord? However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. We know nothing of Ananias beyond this story in the shadows. He is there praying,j The common characteristics of conversion are those on which I would like to focus in the conversion of Saul. No one, it would seem, was even thinking of what God was about to do. 20:32; 26:18) is a common term in Pauls writings and describes Christians as people who have been set apart for Gods service and must show an appropriate character. Hd7/`l@TM0h#`C2 +u-AsQ3j++&?Fu7_[1_?a^J> Blaiklock, for example (pp. 15:8; Gal. While Paul may not have brought about the execution of all those whom he arrested, including women as well as men (verse 2), verse 1 strongly suggests that this was his desire and ambition. Am I not an apostle? Sauls Baptism. But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 1:15). A. T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville: Broadman Press, 1930), III, p. 114. Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon (Isaiah 55:6-7; cf. And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, Chapter 9. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light (Matthew 17:2). If the blinding of Saul was a major turning point in his life, so was the blinding of Bar-Jesus. We know from other accounts (22:6; 26:13) that it was high noon when Saul was stopped in his tracks by a bright light from heaven. God changed him from being a man who did not believe Jesus was the Son of God and a persecutor of the Christians into a bold missionary who preached the Gospel wherever he went. What a shock Sauls conversion must have been to both groups! He knew that going to see Saul would put his life in danger. This Paul knew and testified to. Saul seems to have been the instigator of the persecution of the church, which began at the death of Stephen in Jerusalem and worked outward from there. The Church at Peace. I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. 1:4). F. F. Bruce, p. 190. Sauls salvation was focused on one thing and on one thing aloneChrist. What else did Jesus explain to Ananias? (11) Sauls conversion was a watershed event which greatly affected the history of the church. * [9:20] Son of God: the title Son of God occurs in Acts only here, but cf. They, too, were afraid of Saul and did not believe he really was a follower of Jesus Christ. Think about what happened as a result of this man overcoming his fear and obeying God. They could only kill him, and this they were determined to do (9:23). WebExplain why Ananias was told that Saul was a 'Chosen Vessel' Give an account of the vision which Saul had while traveling on the road to the Damascus. WebThere was no indication in Jesus words that Ananias was going to give Saul the Holy Spirit. After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities (Isaiah 53:11). The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Acts 9, 22, 26; Romans 15:15-21; cf. It is a miraculous, dramatic reversal, first of ones beliefs, and then of ones behavior. What happened when Ananias anointed Saul? You will be unsuccessful in everything you do; day after day you will be oppressed and robbed, with no one to rescue you (Deuteronomy 28:28-29). Why was Ananias afraid of helping Saul? So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow-citizens with the saints, and are of Gods household, having been built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together is growing into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit (Ephesians 2:19-22). Ananias the high priest brought charges against Paul and We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. also 16:17; 18:25-26). The election of Saul to salvation was specific and thus, personal. Web3. His conversion was by far the most vital influence in Pauls life. Saul, the typical (albeit more zealous) Jew, opposed God in the person of Christ and His body, the church, even while he thought he was serving Him. There is more space devoted to convincing Ananias than there is to the conversion of Saul. In Sauls account of his conversion to His Jewish brethren, he added that when Ananias arrived, he instructed him to Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name (Acts 22:16). The salvation of Saul was to result in the gospel being preached to distant people and lands, and in the extension of the church to many key cities. Ananias was afraid because he knew Sauls reputation as a merciless persecutor of the church. 11 On that day the weeping in Jerusalem will be great, like the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo. One cannot help but wonder if it did not send chills up and down Pauls spine when he cast the spell of blindness on the Jewish false prophet, Bar-Jesus: And when they had gone through the whole island as far as Paphos, they found a certain prophet whose name was Bar-Jesus, who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. Ancestry, Pharisaic training, Hellenistic education, were fused by it into the character which the Holy Spirit formed and fashioned over the fourteen years of training. * [9:3143] In the context of the period of peace enjoyed by the community through the cessation of Pauls activities against it, Luke introduces two traditions concerning the miraculous power exercised by Peter as he was making a tour of places where the Christian message had already been preached. Discuss 2 ways in which Paul suffered as an apostle In the end, then, Ananias decision to go to the house of Judas on Straight Street (verse 11) to lay hands on Saul was a decision to risk his life to do the will of God. 26 And when he had come to Jerusalem, he was trying to associate with the disciples; and they were all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple. 11:2328; 12:710; Gal. If the unity of Christ and His body, the church, were a vital truth with respect to Sauls persecution of the church, it was also a vital truth for him as a Christian. sight. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light. No doubt entered the mind of Saul that the Ananias not only 1:11, Acts 20:23; 2 Cor. How many times should a shock absorber bounce? Saul Visits Jerusalem. The two messages cannot be reconciled. The children will practice being giving and friendly with someone that they do not know. Note Pauls summary of the gospel at the end of Galatians 2: I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me (Galatians 2:20). We will also attempt to determine to what degree Sauls conversion was typical and to what degree it was unique. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. Ananias Get up and go to the street called Straight, to the house of Judas, and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, since he is praying there. part of the price for themselves while donating it to the church Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day (2 Timothy 1:8-12). And having escaped from Damascus in a basket, most likely alone, he probably returned to Jerusalem alone, without a witness who could corroborate his claims. 144 Was Ananias the one who told him what he must do? (1 Corinthians 9:1). I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles (Isaiah 42:6). The longer I study Sauls conversion, the more convinced I am that his conversion is typical. WebWhy was Ananias afraid of helping Saul? In Hellenistic times it was completely replanned on the Hippodamian grid-system. Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end (Isaiah 60:20). The first words spoken to Saul were, Saul, Saul, Why are you persecuting Me? (Acts 9:4). Pauls language in Acts 26:11 seems to mean that Damascus is merely one of other `foreign cities to which he carried the persecution. A. T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville: Broadman Press, 1930), III, p. 114. But then the preacher can continue that even though Ananias didnt know about Sauls epiphany, he did as the Lord told him anyway. While Saul in solitude at the house of Judas continued in prayer and supplication, the Lord appeared in a vision to a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias, telling him that Saul of Tarsus was praying and in need of help. NKJV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Spirit-Filled Life Bible, Third Edition, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Kingdom Equipping Through the Power of the Word. His career as a persecutor of Christians seems to have begun with Stephen, but it quickly spread to all of the Christians in Jerusalem (Acts 7:588:3). Paul was no ordinary followerhe became the most visible and active pillar of the new Christian church. In fact, as Saul would later write, he realized that he was chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). Choose from news (Monday), leisure (Thursday) or worship (Saturday) or get all three! Despite the threats Saul had made and his notorious track record of persecuting, arresting and even affirming the execution of Christians, Ananias, whose 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 7The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, for they heard the voice but could see no one.g One of the most dramatic revelations of Sauls Damascus road experience was that he was not serving God, but he was persecuting Him. The voice of bridegroom and bride will never be heard in you again. . If there is one thing of which Saul is now convinced (by what he has so far seen and heard on the road) it is that whoever he is talking to is LORD. Then the proconsul believed when he saw what had happened, being amazed at the teaching of the Lord (Acts 13:6-12). Those whose lives Saul would gladly have taken in his unsaved days now sought to save his life by sending him away. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us to a holy lifenot because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14). They could hear the voice but they did not see anyone who was speaking. Were these people as eager as Saul to destroy the church? No doubt entered the mind of Saul that the One who spoke to him was Jesus of Nazareth, the long-looked-for Messiah, the Consolation and Redeemer of Israel. He started NOW to trust God. Saul was not aware, until after our Lords words, that the One who had interrupted his journey was Jesus, and that Jesus was, indeed, the Messiah, the LORD, but he was certain, at this point, that whoever this One was, He was the LORD. Over and over in his epistles, Paul spoke of salvation in terms of radical change. One moment, Saul was persecuting the church; shortly thereafter he was seeking to fellowship with the saints. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. 2. His acceptance by the latter was finally brought about through his friendship with Barnabas (Acts 9:27). 18 Was a man already circumcised when he was called? l. [9:14] 9:12; 26:10; 1Cor 1:2; 2Tm 2:22. Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of light. When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them (John 12:35-36). 1:15; Eph. This happened to Ananias of Damascus when he ministered to Saul of Tarsus. 140 They are called his sunodeuontes, `those who were in the caravan with Him (cf. The couple wanted to appear as outstanding church members, but they didnt want to part with their possessions. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands onq him to restore his sight.. 4. When Sapphira showed up, she, too, lied to Peter and to God, saying that they had donated the entire proceeds of the sale of the land to the church. A vision, in this context, was a supernatural sight from God. The LORD identified Himself as the Jesus, whom he had been persecuting. AT this season we are called upon to think of foreign missions. Ananiass vision was intended to direct him to the house of Judas and to Saul. I can believe someone might have prayed that Saul be waylaid, or terminated, in some divine act or providential accident (act of God). Saul was the bad guy. He didnt know that the risen Christ had confronted Saul on the road to Damascus just as Christ is now confronting him This sets up a flashback to verses 1-9. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".