In this period he meet a woman that with more time spending with her, more he love her. He decided to do something for his brother becouse around the entire movie he didnt do anything for his brother. And thats how finally slums are created because of migration. His life has often been referred to as a true rags to riches story. Wikipedia.org Gmal is a slum who entered to that show to be seen by Latika and to try to win this game. How did Salim earn a living at the start of the movie? This decissions are alson taken by people in Lima, for example poor people have to take a decission between robbing or work really hardly for their money, people who are honorable choose to make their money by their own effort, like Salim who decided at the end of the movie to be honorable and fair to Jamal. QUESTION: Jamal does not simply happen upon Latika accidentally, but his desire to find her leads him to her. The comparison between Lima Slums To Mumbai slums are that, the problems of poverty are not reviewed by the politics and it is a problem that Is not only on Lima and Mumbai, is in all the world, near the school there is a popular slum, they name of that slum is Manchay, is a place that people dont have enough money to build their houses and dont have money for eat all days, they need helps from the people who have money, in Mumbai happened the same thing,, Mumbai have a large population and the government cant give money for everybody so some people need to live by his own ways, that kind of people are the sums. The older boy leads an escape, Salim in the movie, Ram in the book.There is more on-screen violence in the movie than in the book. If you say Ram ji Ki Jai Ho, it means "Victory be to Lord Rama". His belief in his own desire gives wings to his wants in a way that approaches something magical or divine. The title means that a slum person changes his poor live to a rich life. The word millionaire gives us a clue, which is the real life show Who wants to be a Millionaire?, by doing some crytichal thinking, we can predict that a poor guy will attemp to become a millionaire by entering the show and make his best guess, by the way, theres no denying its controversial apealing. Why there are slums I think is because how we men have been changing the world I think that this phenomenon starts in the industrial revolution. Slumdog Millionaire is produced in Britain and hence its a British movie. Most of the times we have money and do not know what to do with it, and the best thing to do is use to help others. . They only keep that the poor people increase and they dont care because they want to negotiate with companies for get more money. Millionaire in this movie means sincerely loved. What happens to the victims? Then, his search for Latika is motored by his belief in their mutual destiny, a conviction he tells her when they catch up at the abandoned hotel. All those projects would be able to decrease slums in a long-term because of the gathering of money for supporting those projects and the way that people would take it. some people cant accept this fact, and state his money earned illegaly. Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC. GradeSaver "Slumdog Millionaire Imagery". Why did Salim fill the bathtub with money? No one would ever think that a slum-dog could end up winning that much money, and even less that he will earn it in Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Also anonymus partners say that he is really strict with these kind of schools, that want to win a chance of a free trip. For my it is ethic the decision that make Salim of kill Maman because this 2 reasons the first one is that if he dont kill Maman , Maman is going to take advantage of the poor kids and the second is that if Salim didnt kill Maman when Maman get the opportunity he will kill all of them. The Movie is saying that the program Who wants to be a Millionaire? There are many solutions that we can put in practice like never throw to the rubbish the food, instead we can approach them giving it to the persons that really need them, the slums. From a bathtub filled with money, Salim makes his last stand, killing Javed before being shot repeatedly by Javed's many henchmen. Well, first of all, the causes of slums in many principal cities of the world is that people come to the cities for more chances of getting a better live, but when they come, many of the places for living they cant afford them . Jamal Malik, face to this situations, demonstrate his disposition of never lose the hope, and never get up. Since his brother had gone so far at Who wants to be a millionare? TV show just for Latika, the only thing he could do was letting Latika and his brother to be together. The Question and Answer section for Slumdog Millionaire is a great (A) Oxford, (B) Leeds, (C) Cambridge, or (D) London. In the movie, Jamal change in the good way, doing hard work. Why did Salim fill the bathtub with money? And also to improve their conditions of live, we can do the possible donate things, or search for works they can realize, or giving them moral support, making them smile. Danny Boyle's movie, the most talked-about British film in years, may have won a powerful cohort of enemies in India and overseas, but among these real-life 'slumdogs' the director has become a hero. Blinding Arvind (Chirag Parmar), or somehow disfiguring the children, is how he gets them to earn more money, since people will give more to someone as helpless as a blind child. Common Facts about Mumbai and Lima He stares at him before giving him some moneya hundred dollar bill. He was very lucky. In the novel, the prize was significantly largerone billion rupees, about 21 million USD. In order to make people more confortable the government should provide, in any possible way, more jobs so people can earn money without stealing it. I really think that the cause of this is bad education and lack of opportunities. Also, their decisions of liberty take them to their final destiny. (LogOut/ Best summary PDF, themes, and quotes. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ). Salim's death Resigned to his fate, the sacrifice he has made for his childhood friend, Salim fills a bathtub with money, the only reward for the life of a gangster, and gets into the tub with a revolver, prepared to meet his fate. In conclusion, we can say that slums are caused by the lack of willpower of people who lives in them and that the only solution to this is the effort. Salim Malik makes the decision of filled up the bathtub with all Javed money, because he want a redemption because from the beginning of his life, he always wanted to be rich, and at the end, he want to know that he was going to die, like he always want, rich. Here in lima happens something similar. That also is seen in the movie, this causes corruption, indifference, physical abuse, social impairment. I believe there is a relation between the title and the movie, because the title is SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and it deals with the surprise somone gets when he sees that a slumdug has become a millionaire. The imagery lets us know that we are not in the present time, but the past, and that the images being portrayed are ones that haunt Jamal's psyche. In the movie slumdog millionaire first the social exclusion in were a country is divided in two the first of the rich people with no problem, but doesnt accept the reality of his own country that is the misery in were people doesnt have education like is said in this movie, then we can see economic isolation on the ways of survive of the people like stealing or in the case of Jamal and salim selling fake tours to the taj mahal and finally the political exclusion, if we see the show who wants to be a millionaire the presenter is a rich and famous person and people from the slums are used like slaves in case of latika exploited by a person who wants to sell her because she were virgin The answer is Gandhi. Is this a sign of progress? Salim isn's just a questionable character, he is a bad brother. is worth approximately 410,000 USD; 280,000 GBP; 294,000 EUR; 580,000 AUD; or 500,000 CAD. He was abandoned at birth in the clothing bin of a Catholic church in Delhi, and raised for eight years by a benevolent English priest named Father Timothy. Salim's death Resigned to his fate, the sacrifice he has made for his childhood friend, Salim fills a bathtub with money, the only reward for the life of a gangster, and gets into the tub with a revolver, prepared to meet his fate. GradeSaver, Read the Study Guide for Slumdog Millionaire, Portraying Persistence: The Importance of Cinematic Techniques in Slumdog Millionaire, Cultural Dimensions in Slumdog Millionaire, View Wikipedia Entries for Slumdog Millionaire. Is Slumdog Millionaire a feel good movie? So the first question states the following What does the title mean? There is no such scene in the book, although its possibility is suggested.For three years, from ages eleven through thirteen, Ram works as a daytime houseboy for a retired movie actress in her forties named Neelima Kumari. She is in the red light district, being trained in the art of seduction, with the promise that her virginity will one day fetch a lot of money for Maman and the other gangsters. He was hopeless and depressed. | The title and the contrast in this movie means how a poor man pass to be rich with a simple TV program, Slum means like a very poor zone and is like a young population that don`t have a lot of money, so I think that went the title talk about slum is about Jamal, how with a simple TV program How wants to be a millionaire and in one night or one day he turn to be a millionaire. He dies after getting shot, bathing in a tub of money. Slumdog kids might say ki jai ho, meaning "Victory be to slumdog kids." Who Wants to be a Millionaire? adapted in the Indian culture. If they want to sell something in order to avoid stealing, they would need a small place to put the stuff; otherwise, they wouldnt sell too many things. I believe that the solution is to give a good education to these children in the slums. This can be stopped, giving more work, so the people can work and have more money. Edit, Allowed back on the show to play the final round of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Jamal is faced with a question he cannot answer. So, what does the tittle means? After helping Latika to escape from Javed Khan, Salim knows that he will have to face the consequences with the gangster. They are focusing on meaningless things like paying more politicians to complete all the political parties when they dont realize that most part of the country needs urgent economical and moral help. Publicado por Lissette en 19:40 And this explanation is the biggest part in the movie. The title explains Jamal's identity, and motif, in the movie. The tubs weren't a fixture, but a tub stored out of sight until needed, typically once or. *there's a lot of garbage. A question that I can answer. And dont imagine that he will won 20 million rupees. He filled the bathtub with money because it was the best for him. What are the questions Jamal answers on the game show? Jamal, Salim, and Latika escape the room. Edit, Slumdog Millionaire is based on the bestselling novel Q and A by Indian diplomat Vikas Swarup. I dont think so. Jamal changed his live. Essencially, we are talking about a Slumdog, a little boy from the streets, non educated and without a clue about what is basic culture. In my point of view y think, that there is a solution, I think that the government give more opportunities for the people who have small business, the government need to give money so they can grow his own business, but before that I think that the government need to give a few classes for teach that people how to keep the money safe and how you need to do for grow your own job, so that kind of few and easy examples can do the government for keep a population without slums. Is Slumdog Millionaire available on Netflix? Though we don't know for certain, Latika was probably orphaned in the Bombay riots, much like Jamal and Salim. The film takes us to the very brink of despair and before bringing us back to an uplifting conclusion. Salim tells what happened during his absence. The principal similarity of them is the people. Forced to make a guess, Jamal picks "Aramis" as his final answer. These Hindi/Marathi language scenes are approximately 30% of the final film, but Boyle added color and movement to the subtitles to make them more visually appealing. The decision of both affect in their destiny. In my opinion, both of cities are suffering this problems. Another difference is that in Peru there is no way to die of hungry. But the answer is easy, and that person from a lower level have nothing that it is important to me, not the information I want, is not going to be my friend because it is simply a lower level than me, have no education, he doesn`t know important people, he dont have a job, and speak to them, all you get is wasting your time. is because "it is written." In the show Who wants to be a millionaire, all the questions they asked him, were important moments in his life, but he didnt have the last answer of the the last question: who is the third musketeer, he used his last lifeline in calling his brother, but Latika answered the call. We must summon the participation of private enterprise and of society because no one can remain indifferent, we need to have more people aware, to see the reality of our country, that should carry us to realize that there are some issues that if it can not be solved, if you can be creating a mindset that we are all responsible for keeping many people continue to live in subhuman conditions, so it is necessary to create a culture of conscience, only so we will have a better country with better opportunities for all, the poor are stigmatized, and should not be so. Edit, The award is for a foreign language film. The next day, Salim comes back to the hotel and tells Jamal to get out of the room. But today he is a millionaire and television superstar, the first contestant to win $1 million on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.. This is ridiculous because there isnt going to start any war in Peru. The first question says, what does the title mean? He was given the opportunity to play Who wants to be a millionaire? The differences between ours slum with the Mumbai slums that ours are bigger and they are in a lot of parts in Mumbai they are a lots too but the difference that are smaller than ours. He finds some numbers for Salim and makes some calls trying to find his old friend. (LogOut/ The grateful producer paid for Salim's acting lessons, and got him started in the movie business.In the movie, Salim, who is Jamal's older brother, not his younger friend, is the one with the gun. Jamal is asked to answer questions that he wouldnt know if he didnt live that rough and difficult life. Because he sacrificed himself to Jamal and Talika, live happy and together forever. We have been blessed to bless, and this is what we have to do. (A) Aramis, (B) Cardinal Richelieu, (C) D'Artagnan, or (D) Planchet.Answers: (1) A; (2) A; (3) D; (4) A; (5) C; (6) A; (7) D; (8) D; (9) A. This is Jamal's position in the call center where he works when he appears on the game show. Salim makes that decision, because he realizes that it is their only chance to do the right thing and help his brother, Jamal and Latika also; because his life was full of egoism and evil ways and the most affected by those decisions were Jamal and Latika . If think that the solution for this big problem here in Peru and probably in Mumbai also is the reorganization of the government. In the final scene, we see Salim and the choice he makes filling the bathtub with money, etc. She then reveals herself to be Gudiya, from the chawl, whose father had suffered only a broken leg when Ram pushed him from the balcony, and who had stopped raping Gudiya after his fall.Gudiya gets him his prize money, Ram marries Nita, Salim becomes a movie star, and the crippled children are liberated from their imprisonment.In the movie, Jamal never carries a gun and never shoots or threatens anybody. Poor people migrate to well-known cities in their countries in order to have the same opportunities as the ones who already live there and have a job. Resigned to his fate, the sacrifice he has made for his childhood friend, Salim fills a bathtub with money, the only reward for the life of a gangster, and gets into the tub with a revolver, prepared to meet his fate. After producer Paul Smith sold his stake in the show, he made a condition that he could retain the right to reuse the properties of the show. He makes that choice because he finally realizes and regrets what hed done. Rahman with contributions by M.I.A., was released exclusively on iTunes in November 2008. i would give him the wrong answer and finish with my anger that i have inside. Why was this not eligible for the Foreign Film Oscar? What is this film staying about the effect of money on culture? Theres this famous saying that the truth shall set you free. only one side. Suddenly a woman starts talking on the phone and Jamal begins talking to her. By filling the tub all the way, you expand the gap quite a bit. The title plot gives us the clue to find that as a slumdog he will have a lot of problems during the programme. I would probably agree that at the root of the problem it is an educational issue but it still is not an easy problem to fix. He called Warner Independent and convinced them to let him film their scenes in Hindi (despite the fact that the regional language of Mumbai is Marathi). As can be seen in the film Slumdog Millionaire, Mumbai poverty is almost equal to that of Lima, and surviving the most cunning, as you have to know how to survive on the streets, where no one is trustworthy, stealing food, lying people and so on. Otherwise, the only connections that this film shares with Bollywood is the city of Mumbai and a group dance in a train station during the final scene that echoes traditional Bollywood films. Faucet: Start the faucet repair process by completely turning off your water supply. In the movie, and in the up-dated quiz show, the top prize is two crore rupees, or twenty million rupees. *it's really crowded. First: For me the most important message or impression from the movie is that you never give up, we can see that in the film in the climax, when Jamal won 20 million rupees, he dont imagine that and he dont give up In the game, when the tv host question to Jamal if he want to pass to next question he say yes, already is he dont know the question. and is called La Tinka. Jamal simply responds, "When somebody asks me a question, I tell them the answer.". Looks like you're mixed up with both. In this case im going to talk about the famous show called l ltimo pasajero. In Lima, near the school and near my house there is a slum called Manchay, where people dont have money to make houses. Salim finds the life of crime agreeable, but Jamal scrapes by with small jobs until landing a spot on the game show. Read the Study Guide for Slumdog Millionaire, Portraying Persistence: The Importance of Cinematic Techniques in Slumdog Millionaire, Cultural Dimensions in Slumdog Millionaire, View Wikipedia Entries for Slumdog Millionaire. With the host of the game is given the same situation, Imagine what you would feel if someone that never have education and he live without electricity and water, and probably the only thing he have done in his life to survive is to steal, Why should be wining a game that is not fit to his class, perhaps you have to put it becuase i would be racist if you dont let the chance to participate,but is about to win a 5 million and incompetence guy? (A) A flower, (B) A sword, (C) A child, or (D) A bow-and-arrow. Millionaire, all we know what it means so I dont have to say. The plight of India's child beggars has been thrust into the international spotlight by Slumdog Millionaire, the British-made film tipped for Oscar glory. In Lima there lots of slums which are here because there lots of people who had a bad economic situation and they doesnt have too much money to keep a normal house so they built their on house with recycled objects in places were they are the same type of houses, and this everyday is getting bigger and bigger. The FAQ items below may give away important plot points. Comparing Limas slums with Munbais slums A scene that was particularly interesting and true to the theme of redemption was Salim's death . She doesn't know the answer either, but Jamal is more interested in knowing how she is doing and where she is before the call is cut off. Thick suds and bubbles on the surface of the bathwater prevent the diffusion of heat into the air. Edit, Chai is simply the Hindi word for tea.