God I hope not! He was 41. Legendary radio personality Bruce "Cousin Brucie" Morrow, who became synonymous with rock and roll during his 13 years at WABC/770 AM in the 1960s and '70s before moving on to other stations,. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. John is the gentleman who purchased WABC. The officially-unofficial gathering place for Sirius, XM and SiriusXM satellite radio listeners, broadcasters and fans. When that light goes on and says 'Brucie, you're on the air,' my stomach turns warm and I know I'm with my friends on a giant telephone, having a party line conversation. I would assume Cousin Brucie is a big draw to listeners of those stations. The DJs add alot to the "nostalgia" stations. The fierce advocate for the AAPI community was 89. Language: English Website: https://wabcradio.com/podcast/cousin-brucies-saturday-night-rock-n-roll-party/ Episodes British Invasion! The 84-year-old Morrow, whose real name is Bruce Meyerowitz, has been a fixture on the channel hosting nights weekly from Wednesday through Saturday since 2005. Herman Cain, the former CEO of Godfather's Pizza who sought the Republican nomination for president in 2012, died July 30 from complications of the coronavirus. [15] Born in Brooklyn, part of geographical Long Island, he was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2018. In 1986, he began working the Wednesday evening shift, when he hosted The Top 15 Yesterday and Today Countdown. He emphasized that he was not retiring. Hot on the heels of his big announcement that he is leaving SiriusXM satellite radio, Cousin Brucie Morrow revealed Tuesday that he will return to his roots hosting "Cousin Brucie's. ("What do you think of these fabulous Beatles?" But when WCBS-FM decided it wanted more music and less talk three years ago, Morrow was abruptly fired. Morrow announced his plan to step down from hosting the 60s on 6 channel on his radio show Wednesday evening. Yes, Scream VI Marketing Is Behind the Creepy Ghostface Sightings Causing Scares Across the U.S. David Oyelowo, Taylor Sheridan's 'Bass Reeves' Series at Paramount+ Casts King Richard Star Demi Singleton (EXCLUSIVE), Star Trek: Discovery to End With Season 5, Paramount+ Pushes Premiere to 2024. /. EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Limited Or Anthology Series, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Lead Actress In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie. That probably depends on the contract terms between Cheap Channel and sirius though. In a surprising move, longtime Sirius XM on-air personality Cousin Brucie Morrow will depart the '60s on 6 channel after his show this Saturday night, August 1. . Cousin Bruce Morrow, the New York radio DJ whose long career reaches from the Beatles at Shea Stadium through satellite radio, is leaving SiriusXM after one last show on Saturday night. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2023 FAQS Clear - All Rights Reserved The longtime New York area personality and station owner has hosted Wednesday and Saturday night shows for Sirius since the 2005 demise of the Oldies format on 101.1 WCBS-FM New York. Broadway star Nick Cordero passed away on July 5 due to complications from coronavirus. After many amazing years broadcasting on SiriusXM, and a celebrated career of more than 60 years in radio, we wish Brucie the best in any future endeavor.". I love this music. The 84-year-old Morrow will depart the SiriusXM 60s on 6 channel but vows he is not retiring. "You have to have a persona," he said, "that transcends those tubes and transistors and wires and reaches into somebody's heart. 6) is now named 60s Gold and airs on channel 73. [12], In December 1974, the divorced Morrow married Jodie Berlin, at the time the corporate manager of executive development and internal placements for the department-store chain Alexander's. I want to be able to think about what they want to hear, where theyre going, what theyve done. What Happened to Cousin Brucie on the radio? "Somebody out there," he said, "a smart broadcaster, who really cares about broadcasting and not counting beans so much, is going to grab this. Cousin Brucie's Saturday Night Party Live was broadcast Saturday nights, while Cruisin' with Cousin Brucie was broadcast on Wednesday nights. After many amazing years broadcasting on SiriusXM, and a celebrated career of more than 60 years in radio, we wish Brucie the best in any future endeavor.. The world continues to be upended by the coronavirus pandemic, with more people contracting COVID-19 as the days pass. I talk to them about it and I try to get them to just take a deep breath, and kind of talk to them about golden moments. On his Wednesday, July 29, 2020, program, he announced he was leaving SiriusXM following that Saturday's broadcast, characterizing it as not a retirement. .As a nighttime DJ during that stint, Morrow worked "when teens were listening, and he was really good in his ability to relate to the boomers. He appeared in the movies Sgt. He always listened to me on Saturday nights. The live broadcasts of Cousin Brucie's Saturday Night Party - Live take place on Saturday nights . Wenn Sie Ihre Auswahl anpassen mchten, klicken Sie auf Datenschutzeinstellungen verwalten. Brooklyn's fantasy was that there was no need to go to Manhattan at all, but Cousin Brucie knew better. If they lose those two, I will probably cancel. After many amazing years broadcasting on SiriusXM, and a. Mr. Morrow took on his Cousin Brucie character about 1959, while at WINS; he says he adopted the name after an old woman came to the studio and said, "Cousin, lend me 50 cents to get home. The longtime New York area personality and station owner has hosted Wednesday and Saturday night shows for Sirius since the 2005 demise of the Oldies format on 101.1 WCBS-FM New York. July 14, 2020 Another day, and another indicator SiriusXM is taking no prisoners in its march to truly go after broadcast radio's near-century long franchise. He also said that since WCBS was switched, he has received numerous job offers from other stations, and he is hopeful that another oldies station might open up soon. Its going to be warm and fuzzy. Roy Horn, best known as half of the legendary Siegfried & Roy magic and animal act in Las Vegas, died on May 8 from complications due to coronavirus. Broadcasting on various places through the years, including a 15 year stint on Sirius XM, Cousin . On Sunday nights, Best of Brucie, a compilation culled from his SiriusXM broadcasts, aired. A company spokesperson said: "After broadcasting on SiriusXM since 2005, Cousin Brucie has chosen to step away from the mic. Completing in his words a "full circle," Bruce "Cousin . Kick em further down the satellite into the dead air known as sports. After a stint in Bermuda, he joined 1010 WINS in 1959, where he became Cousin Brucie. From there, he joined WABC-AM in 1961, leading the heyday of the British Invasion and American pop radio on the 50,000-watt giant. Chef Floyd Cardoz, winner of "Top Chef Masters" Season 3, died at the age of 59 of coronavirus complications on March 25. As a nighttime DJ during that stint, Morrow worked when teens were listening, and he was really good in his ability to relate to the boomers. His crew included at various points former senior producers Colton Murray and Adam Saltzman, and producer Lauren Hornek. Which Teeth Are Normally Considered Anodontia? He was 57. Both stations are operated by John Catsimatidis Red Apple Media, which will also make the show available to fans through its digital media platforms for streaming on phones, smart speakers and computers. A SiriusXM spokesman said in a statement, "After broadcasting on SiriusXM since 2005, Cousin Brucie has chosen to step away from the mic. On Tuesday, August 4 a Farewell live stream was hosted on SiriusXM Octane Instagram Handle. [1] Wanting to pursue a radio career, he spent 10 hours a week working for dramatic educational productions at radio station WNYE-FM. At NYU, he initiated the school's first[citation needed] radio station, WCAG[3] (Communications Arts Group). He asked his fans to follow him on his Facebook page. She was 67. Cousin Bruce Morrow, the New York radio DJ whose long career reaches from the Beatles at Shea Stadium through satellite radio, is leaving SiriusXM after one last show on Saturday night. SiriusXM radio personality Cousin Brucie Morrow will leave the station's '60s on 6 radio show after hosting it for 15 years. Morrow is the only on-air personality in New York City to have a street named after him, thanks to former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who named West 52nd St. Cousin Brucie Way in 1994. After leaving WABC, Morrow also did DJ stints at WNBC/660 AM and WCBS/101.1 FM before moving to satellite radio. 2023 Deadline Hollywood, LLC. Morrow was signed to host oldies programming and a weekly talk program for Sirius, as well as Cousin Brucies Saturday Night Dance Party-Live and Cruisin With Cousin Bruce on Wednesdays. He broadcast from two border rock stations, XERF in Ciudad Acuna and XERB in Rosarito Beach, each with powerful 250,000-watt signals aimed directly north. She was 54. Select your favorite decade-defining artists such as Stevie Wonder, Ben E. What happened with Cousin Brucie on Sirius radio? In the fall of 1961 Dan Daniel was hired and Ed Baer joined two weeks after Dan. The Brooklyn native began his career . Cousin Bruce Morrow, the New York radio DJ whose long career reaches from the Beatles at Shea Stadium through satellite radio, is leaving SiriusXM after one last show on Saturday night. A SiriusXM spokesman said in a statement, "After broadcasting on SiriusXM since 2005, Cousin Brucie has chosen to step away from the mic. Cousin Brucie is back on WABC, forty-six years after leaving the night show at AM radio's most famous Top 40 calls. He indicated on Wednesday that he did not consider this a retirement and that he expected to be broadcasting again at some point, adding that he and his wife Jodie were taking August off and for listeners to watch his Facebook page for announcements. "He is from an era in which you created a character and played that character on air, and his character was Cousin Brucie.". Too many channels of that, 86'ing a few would allow more to be shuffled around. Because now there's a huge, huge market to be serviced.". Radio Insight reports that the decision to take out Z100 is because of a 2013 deal between SiriusXM and iHeartMedia. Morrow joined Sirius Satellite Radio in 2005 and has hosted nights from Wednesday through Saturday since. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978) and Across the Universe (2007). ", Radio, properly practiced, he said, is a theatrical art. Who Can Benefit From Diaphragmatic Breathing? Compassion!" Variety is a part of Penske Media Corporation. I try to relax them, and I ask, what music would make you happy? He was 34. And Im going to throw every bell and whistle that I can find into the show as we go along. He is the host of the daily morning radio program Elvis Duran and the Morning Show in New York on Z100 and in syndication on Premiere Networks. In a surprising move, longtime Sirius XM on-air personality Cousin Brucie Morrow will depart the '60s on 6 channel after his show this Saturday night, August 1. Cousin Bruce Morrow, the New York radio DJ whose long career reaches from the Beatles at Shea Stadium through satellite radio, is leaving SiriusXM after one last show on Saturday night. American radio personality and host of The Morning Show, Elvis Duran, has an estimated net worth of $4 million and has an annual income of $4 million. Bruce Morrow, better known as Cousin Brucie, has a dictum that has served him well through four decades on the radio, and he delivers it with a boom. First of all, they have brand new, state-of-the-art studios that they just moved into last week, and I am going to be one of the first using it. [14] In 2010, he received the Bravery In Radio Award from William Paterson University and its radio station WPSC 88.7 FM, for a track record of "inspirational radio programming and lifelong commitment to the medium of radio". "Ellis Marsalis was a legend. I learned a long time ago that I become a part of my audiences family, part of their lives. [citation needed] and WhyHunger (which in 1975, was founded by Morrow's close friend, the late singer-songwriter, Harry Chapin). ", He spent 13 years at WABC, which at its peak had a 25 percent share of the audience for his show; the station came to plug itself as "WA-Beatles-C." Mr. Morrow warmed up the crowd at the Beatles' concert at Shea Stadium on Aug. 15, 1965. Radio Hall of Famer Bruce "Cousin Brucie" Morrow sayshe will take August off to spend time with his wife and that he expects to be back broadcasting at some point. (Vol. It also has a national footprint; the radio station streams all over. Cousin Brucie Morrow has announced he will be leaving SiriusXM's " 60s On 6 " following his show this Saturday night. He was 57. Patricia Bosworth, a stage and screen actress turned journalist who penned celebrity biographies, died April 2 from complications of the coronavirus. Cousin Brucie hosts Cruisin' With Cousin Brucie on Wednesdays at 5:00 pm ET and Cousin Brucie's Saturday Rock and Roll Party on Saturdays at 8:00 pm ET on '60 on 6, via satellite on channel 6, and through the SiriusXM Internet Radio App on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at siriusxm.com. The 84-year-old Morrow will depart the SiriusXM '60s on 6 channel but vows he is not retiring. They tell me about the good times. Art director Matteo De Cosmo, who worked on films including "Emergence," "The Punisher" and "Luke Cage," died of coronavirus complications. For this unprecedented achievement, XM Radio on-air personalities Phlash Phelps and Kurt Gilchrist drove a customized Cadillac Escalade ESV sport-utility vehicle to the 48 contiguous states across the U.S. and broadcast live from every state in two weeks. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. The. I was with SiriusXM for 15 years, and they were good years, but I was getting the feeling that I should make a move. No doubt a precursor to moving 60s on 6 and probably 50s on 5 to internet only to make room for a 2010s channel on main broadcasting. What kind of car does Phlash Phelps Drive? Home | About | Contact | Copyright | Report Content | Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Sitemap. Ellis Marsalis Jr., New Orleans jazz legend and father of Wynton and Branford Marsalis, died at 85 from COVID-19 complications, Branford said. Why is Cousin Brucie not on SiriusXM anymore? "Let them hear it in their dressing room!"). why did cousin brucie leave siriusxm Navigation Services; Case; Leadership; Contact "If you grew up in the 80's, you like 'Super Freak,' but you also like Tina Turner and Rick Springfield," Mr. Ross said. He was 86. He used to request songs. Grammy-winning country music singer Joe Diffie died March 29 due to complications from the coronavirus. "It's becoming harder to explain the format to a 25-year-old ad agency person to whom oldies sound absolutely ancient," said Sean Ross, an analyst for Edison Media Research. Morrow worked for WABC for 13 years and 4,014 broadcasts until August 1974, when he transferred to rival radio station WNBC replacing Wolfman Jack who quit to tour with The Guess Who; after three years there, he quit performance to team with entrepreneur Robert F.X. A company spokesperson said: "After broadcasting on SiriusXM since 2005, Cousin Brucie has chosen to step away from the mic. That and 60s on 6 are all I really listen to, well apart from alt nation. I am very audience-prone. Now on Saturday night, it becomes music radio. I have complete free reign. Required fields are marked *. Jack was 76. I dont want to get involved too much in the technical part, because that really takes away from my watching the road, so to speak. Oldies Party plays the fun hits from the dawn of rock into the Woodstock years. American rock musician Alan Merrill, best known for co-writing and recording the original version of "I Love Rock 'n' Roll," died March 29 of complications from the coronavirus. On his Wednesday, July 29, 2020, program, he announced he was leaving SiriusXM following that Saturday's broadcast, characterizing it as not a retirement. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and had a guest appearance in the 1990s science fiction television series Babylon 5 [in "War Without End" (Part 2), playing the first officer of Babylon 4]. How Many Times Has The Olympic Torch Been Extinguished? He was 78. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. So Im very about this change. Mike became a DJ on Christmas Eve 1973, when the current jock left his show to go shopping. Wolfman Jack was born in New York City, New York in January 1938 and passed away in July 1995. Bruce 'Cousin Brucie,' Morrow's return to WABC 77 AM Radio is a homecoming for the legendary broadcaster. Rock n roll music in my career really started at WABC. On his Wednesday, July 29, 2020, program, he announced he was leaving SiriusXM following that Saturday's broadcast, characterizing it as not a retirement. Variety is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Born in Brooklyn, he was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2018, among other honors. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. In a surprising move, longtime Sirius XM on-air personality Cousin Brucie Morrow will depart the '60s on 6 channel after his show this Saturday night, August 1. Mr. Morrow said that he was still under contract to WCBS, and that he would be discussing his employment with the station's management this week. Tom Dempsey, New Orleans Saints legendary kicker who was born without toes on his right foot and wore a flat shoe that he kicked with, died on April 4 from complications of COVID-19. The debut show will also be replayed on Labor Day Monday, September 7, from noon to 3 p.m. Its very rare that you catch me in a down moment. A SiriusXM spokesman said in a statement, "After broadcasting on SiriusXM since 2005, Cousin Brucie has chosen to step away from the mic. [8] In 1960, he relocated to Miami, Florida, for a stint at WINZ (AM) before returning to New York the next year for the major station WABC (AM 770), another Top 40 station. He didn't just play Beatles songs, he knew them after introducing them at a historic Shea Stadium Concert in New York in 1965. Brutal running half-hour shows recorded by recent broadcasting school graduates, from midnight to 6a Saturday night/Sunday morning, on a 250-watt AM station in Pleasantville, NJ. New York's Cousin Brucie leaves satellite radio and returns to AM. Carol Sutton, actress who has starred on HBOs Lovecraft County and OWNs Queen Sugar" and appeared in such films as "Monster's Ball," "Ray" and "The Help," died of complications of COVID-19 on Dec. 10. You know, people get so involved in their lives with me. Sending out signals for over six decades, Cousin Brucie was the personality/voice that introduced the '60s generation to Rock-n-Roll music on a broader scale. He left the airways for a time in the 70's, buying radio stations with Robert F.X. She was 86. [1] While attending James Madison High School, he was involved with the All City Radio Workshop at Brooklyn Technical High School. What Happened to Cousin Brucie on SiriusXM 60s on 6? She was 76. [5] Raised in the Sheepshead Bay neighborhood, he attended elementary school at P.S. COUSIN BRUCIE MORROW shared with his SIRIUSXM "60s On 6" listeners that he'd be hanging up the headphones following his show this SATURDAY night. In a surprising move, longtime Sirius XM on-air personality Cousin Brucie Morrow will depart the 60s on 6 channel after his show this Saturday night, August 1. He has spent the last 15 years on Sirius XM's '60s on 6, which certainly felt like the only place Morrow could do what he does when his previous employer, Oldies WCBS-FM New York, became "Jack FM" in 2005. What kind of car does Phlash Phelps Drive? I missed my commercials. One of the very first things I said to the vice president of programming, David LaBrozzi, when we signed the deal was, David, I gotta have my old jingles back, and he said to me, I have them. I got my old jingles back. The station also added his nationally syndicated show Cruisin' America. My poor wife, Jodie, has to calm me down at times. I'm younger, but listen to 60's stuff bc my parents did, and I'd like to know who and what is being played, not the DJ that's currently on. She was 78. Phil Valentine, Right-wing radio host, died after more than a month-long battle with COVID. Cousin Brucie will be heard live on 77WABC, New York, sister station WLIR-FM 107.1, Hampton Bays, NY, and streaming across the country on the WABC App and www.wabcradio.com. I agree with TheWrap's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and provide my consent to receive marketing communications from them. Cousin Brucie announced to his 60,000 Facebook followers that Saturday night will be his final. His works included "Master Class," "Love! Good Time Oldies from the 50s and 60s! [5] Morrow has three adult children and two grandchildren, including Meridith Morrow Binette, Paige Morrow Kimball and Jon Morrow. All Rights Reserved. ", A SiriusXM spokesman said in a statement, "After broadcasting on SiriusXM since 2005, Cousin Brucie has chosen to step away from the mic. Trini Lopez, the singer of "If I Had a Hammer" and an actor in "The Dirty Dozen," died on Aug. 11 from COVID-19. Morrow announced his plan to step down from hosting the '60s. I do a lot of live reads, and I make these commercials very much a part of what I do, and what I do is get very involved with my audience. "To me an iPod is a very cold little jukebox," he said. This audience that grew up with Cousin Brucie will feel very much at home. He joined NYC oldies station WCBS-FM in 1982, hosting multiple shows including the nationally syndicated "Cruisin' America." "He's one of the greats, there's no question about it," Allan Sniffen, who runs the New York Radio Message Boardand the website musicradio77.com, devoted to WABC-AM's music years, told Newsday. [4], Morrow was born in Brooklyn, New York,[1] the son of Mina & Abe Meyerowitz. Many of his listeners go back with him to the 1960s, when he introduced the Beatles at Shea Stadium probably one of the most amazing moments in my life, he says. And then when I talk to people and I get their enthusiasm and get that trust and feel their affection and love for me, well, this brings me back to a very young man again. and "Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune," which later became a film with Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino. Sillerman, who became a powerful radio and entertainment mogul in the 90's. Legendary radio personality Bruce Morrow, aka "Cousin Brucie," is coming back to WABC/770 AM for a Saturday-night show, starting Sept. 5. Phlash Phelps. Why is Cousin Brucie not on SiriusXM anymore? Born in Brooklyn, Morrow launched his career on the air on WZBM-AM in Bermuda, and later joined 1010 Wins in 1959, adopting his on-air moniker, Cousin Brucie. He made his mark as the night jock on WABC in 1961, hosting many shows at New Jerseys Palisades Park and introducing The Beatles at their iconic Shea Stadium appearance. Theyre in the shower with me, in the car with me, they shop with me, and I can feel it. Bruce Morrow - Cousin Brucie's FINAL SATELLITE SHOW - August 1 2020It's Legendary radio personality Bruce "Cousin Brucie" Morrow.Cousin Brucie became synonym. On channel 6, in the 1960s, he hosts shows that are broadcast on Sirius XM satellite radio. Bruce Morrow, better known as Cousin Brucie, has a dictum that has served him well through four decades on the radio, and he delivers it with a boom. Why is Cousin Brucie not on SiriusXM anymore? , Shotgun Tom Kelly. She was 89. Other players have talked about their desire to erode AM/FM radio's share of audience and revenue. After nearly five decades, Morrow's format is still going strong. But after the refresh this week, XM decided to leave KIIS-FM Los Angeles on its station and move Z100 somewhere else. [13][12], Morrow was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 1988,[2] and the National Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame in the radio division in 2001. "Slowly but surely all the great radio behemoths who have strode the landscape have been felled," Mr. Fornatale said. Morrow's return to New York City came just as rock and roll music was becoming extremely popular among the baby boom demographic, and Morrow found himself on the most powerful radio station on the East Coast at the beginning of the so-called British Invasion. 206. ", After Decades on the Dial, Cousin Brucie Falls Victim to a Changing Media World, https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/06/nyregion/after-decades-on-the-dial-cousin-brucie-falls-victim-to-a-changing.html. !. Many of these hosts are well-known DJs, talk show hosts, and celebrities who sometimes anchor special shows. "He was phenomenally successful in his younger years, primary on WABC from 1961 to 1974, when the baby boomers came of age and everybody listened to the same few stations," added Sniffen, 62, a Stony Brook University graduate who now lives in Westchester County.