Walmart will sell bikes under this brand soon with price tags up to $6,000. Bike industry seems super healthy (at least outside looking in), coming from the moto world. Prices of big brand quality mountain bikes jumped the shark years ago. I spoke with him at the recent Outerbike expo in Idaho, the second public outing for the brand. As mentioned, this is the lowest-cost complete bike in Viathon's G.1 range, but that doesn't mean the parts are low-cost. Walmart didnt opt to adopt more modern geometry, possibly because its current customer base will have to take a few steps to catch up to the rest of the bike market. I have noted that we are not the only ones saying this, for what it is worth. Bayside Women's Cruiser Bike, Rose Gold 1385 Pickup 2-day shipping Best seller $648.00 Hyper Bicycles Electric Bicycle Pedal Assist Mountain, 26 In. Its a one-man Canyon, with Spinhirne-Martin sitting at his computer in San Bruno, California, bolting on expertise when he needs it. I'm guessing this is Plan B to get the bike seen by more people Will it actually be in the store or order online with instore pickup or delivery? My surfing friends friends and others who are "action sports oriented" are super hesitant to bike at first due to the cost of entry, fear of injury, etc. It's well documented in various media outlets. As technical editor Dan Cavallari pointed out in our sister publication VeloNews, "Viathon ticks almost all the high-end boxes for a bike with a lower pricepoint. Bikes are getting more expensive because more expensive bikes and bike parts are selling better than cheaper bikes and bike parts. Not sure where you were getting the 2400 price tag before price drop because I seen reviews months ago and 1900 was the price then not 2400. By James Smurthwaite The crankset was square taper FSA even though Sora was already using HT2 by this time. I wouldn't ever recommend this bike to someone getting into the sport, because in my biased opinion xc geometry is not a good starting point and the price is simply too high. Unfortunately, your shopping bag is empty. For the hardtail mountain bike, thats a $2,000 frame, $2,400 GX Eagle build, $3,500 X01 build (which comes without a dropper), or a $6,000 XX1 option. Viathon was his idea, springing from his background as a former pro rider, a one-time USA Cycling team mechanic and latterly a web commerce geek with Backcountry.com and before that Competitivecyclist.com. The multi-tier distribution model of sporting goods companies doesn't help either but it's a reality that's likely not going to change. ($1k frame only pricing). Bikes come equipped with well-recognized components such as SRAM, Zipp, and Stans' No Tubes, on a good/better/best three-point pricing structure, with all models starting below $2500. Viathon is for riders who appreciate uncontrived quality, demand craftsmanship but recognize value, who pedal for health yet savor the ride. Y'all talk a big game about wanting more low-priced options but no one is out there actually buying them - I do P&A analysis for a bike distributors, I would know. Bike is not returnable if damaged or not fit for continued use (Please see Warranty and Crash Replacement policy) ", i wouldnt buy the mountain bike but their gravel offering is interesting for sure at 3k. Its easier and faster for me to expand our bike offering online than it is to go into stores. Without the curiousness of the Walmart link, I wouldnt even be writing about Viathon. All rights reserved. Who makes Viathon frames? Not everybody has great trail access, but almost everybody has access to dirt roads.. Take YouTuber KevCentral, for example, whose channel reviews bikes available at Walmart and Walmart.com and how to upgrade them. REI Co-op bikes are worth a look for most cyclists. It's not the frames: they aren't open-mould no-names, all three shapes were CAD designed by the legendary Kevin Quan Studios of Toronto, Canada. We have incredible traffic on our site. The Viathon M.1 is available in three complete build kit options, starting at $2,400 USD. Were not trying to undercut the industry; were offering our bike line at a solid price, not a ridiculously low price, said Spinhirne-Martin. Walmart takes their terrible gun selection out then adds this ballbuster. I like his channel and all but want to see people ride bikes like I would or better. Things have moved on. Re: Viathon G1 Rival being good (but not spectacular) value Was that determination based on list price ($2,498)? Unbelievable a$$holes, TLDR: "successful family chooses to enjoy their success while remaining frugal to ensure long term multigenerational wealth". You do not get the benefit of having a face-to-face resource for things like minor adjustments, tune-ups, or advice, as you would in a bike shop experience, but maybe that doesnt matter to some of you? @jason-99: With that logic, give everyone nukes. When you're at this level, you may as well just buy direct from manufacturer through Aliexpress, They need to build a 130/140 travel trail bike for 2k with GX eagle then I am in lol. Compare prices, components, suspension, reviews, images and more on current and past MTB's. You can even share reviews, comments and questions on mountain bikes. Outside's long reads email newsletter features our strongest writing, most ambitious reporting, and award-winning storytelling about the outdoors. Get $1000 off Select Items ViathonBicycles.com w/ Coupon (Activate). 1. The history of the bicycle business is, in one sense, a history of powerful outsiders coming in to teach us dumb yokels how things are done in the Big Leagues. I have my doubts. RZC Investments, founded by Tom and Steuart Walton, grandsons of Walmart founder Sam Walton, owns Rapha and part-owns Allied Cycle Works, a high-end bike manufacturer based in Little Rock, Arkansas. And that right there is the problem with any form of cycling, "my bike is better than yours" bullshit mantra. Its exploding right now because people are afraid of riding in traffic. An s-works bike off the floor performs at a pro level. Required fields are marked *. there's your reviewi'll be buying the r1 soon. It has longer, slacker geometry than its road bike cousin and different tube shaping. I dont think people in the market for $2000-5000 bikes would even think to buy at Walmart let alone shoulder the stigma of owning a bike bought at Walmart, right or wrong as that is. Shit, I'd probably buy one to beat up/lend out. Thanks to a dropped chainstay design, the G1 clearance for 700c x 40mm or 650b x 2.1" tires and a maximum chainring size of 50t, according to the viathonbicycles.com website, while walmart.com boasts 700c clearance up . Go to the shop Go to the shop. best army base in germany is dr abraham wagner married is dr abraham wagner married @roma258: It's a catch 22. ''', And indeed they were. Lightweight carbon frames: Viathon bikes, including the Dura-Ace road bike, Ultegra model, R.1, and G.1 bikes, are crafted with durable, lightweight carbon frames to give you an edge over riders with heavier XC and mountain bikes. bicycling Meanwhile, the Waltons have put Millions? Some of that is a function of the homogeneity of the modern bike-enthusiast business. The new G.1 is their top-tier carbon gravel bike, with a loaded spec including Zipp cockpit, Fizik saddle, HED wheels, and SRAM Red electronic shifting. According to Spinhirne-Martin, Walmart is not currently planning store-based service departments. what happened to viathon bikes Byjunho 3, 2022 At Viathon, we believe that great bikes make riding more fun. It doesnt need to get younger customers. And 2 years ago, the company hired Zach Spinhirne-Martin, a senior buyer at CompetitiveCyclist.com. For now, no. Calling all PB keyboard warriors: to the watch forums! The Viathon website has more specs: https://www.viathonbicycles.com/products/road-bike-r1-105. They are direct to consumer from the website, just like Canyon. Will people buy them? bikeit! They knew about it prior to launch only because I happened to meet Steuart in our office in January so I was able to show him a couple of pictures. I'd love to buy a rigid carbon 29er single speed for about $1300 Viathon. Hyper Bicycle 26" Men's Havoc Mountain Bike, Black 417 Pickup +2 options $248.00 Kent 26 In. Also something to liven up trails that you ride regularly. bicycles Buyers have 60 days from purchase to return the bike, and it can be new or used. I think it's time for a Field Test review on this bike to dispel or confirm all the controversy. There is very little flex since your BB is both on the swingarm and the front triangle. Viathons carbon bikes retail online for between $2,300 and $6,000. machines ect. Managing editor Dean Yobbi told the story in BRAIN's May dead-trees issue and online as well. For sure we are also undergoing huge changes; times are tough now and likely to get tougher before they get better. The bikes look pretty good on paper, and the price points are very slim for what you get. If These guys could take a similar (or slightly better) spec and cut $200 off of it, and I'd bet it'd be a huge seller. Another new direct-to-consumer brand, Remot, alsolaunched this week with far less buzz, despite being owned by American Bicycle Group, the holding company for established high-end brands Litespeed and Quintana Roo. But if Viathon is going to have any real impact, its the next set of new bikes that will matter most. Unless they are basically making no money on the bikes, I find it hard to see how they could undercut their competition, especially considering the frames themselves don't really often anything out of the ordinary. There are no whiz-bang spangles for instance, the MTB is a vanilla hardtail. Although I 100% agree, I'm sure your comment will be downed by most here. Returns only available to original purchaser. 2 - You can't buy these bikes at a Walmart. Katie Compton. Viathon Bicycles announced today it will sponsor the Caffeine and Watts Club. And while the bikes may be sold on Walmarts website at some point, theres no mention ofselling in stores, which would put the bikes in front of a broader audience. Their investments are totally separate from Walmart even though Steuart is on the main Walmart board.. The bike uses a very rigid pivot/BB comprised of two MID-BB's inside one another. Walmart isnt currently targeting the kind of customer who wants the latest carbon layup or the greatest new geometry, nor is it targeting customers who self-identify as cyclists. (The Walmart connection can be found only on the sites copyright line.) Tommaso Sentiero Gravel Bike, Shimano Claris Adventure Bike with Disc Brakes, Extra Wide Tires, Perfect for Road Or Dirt Trail Touring, Matte Black, Red Visit the Tommaso Store 60 ratings | 40 answered questions Price: $844.99 Color: Matte Black/Red Size: Select See more About this item Im guessing thatwithout the connection to the largest retailer in the world, Viathon wouldnt be getting nearly this level of attention. If successful, Viathon can be rolled out widely, claimed Spinhirne-Martin. needham bank mutual conversion. Don't need. Filter bikes by year, weight, components, price, and performance. In 2017, Bonobos was sold to, you guessed it, Walmart.Walmart wanted Bonobos because it was a favourite of high-income urban millennials. Shop all Genesis Bikes with sizes ranging from 18" to 700c, in kids and adults sizes. But there aren't enough spec details to tell what we're looking at. But to drive the demand, there needs to be a product in place to capture attention. 5G for Dura. as all the other big brands. Love lower price bikes and bringing the MTB sport to more people.. The bikes look fine. One of the podcasts I listen to (maybe Singletracks?) Likewise, this doesn't mean that the UK will see high-end road and MTB bikes retailed from Walmart-owned Asda (not least because Walmart is off-loading Asda in a deal with Sainsbury's if the CMA allows it If we stopped inventing new shit the whole circus might just collapse in on itself overnight. Its a night and day difference!, exclaimed Andy. Writing in 2016, Dunn wrote: Digitally native vertical brands (DNVBs) are maniacally focused on the customer experience and they interact, transact, and story-tell to consumers primarily on the web., Dunn added: The DNVB is born on the internet. In fact, the only example I can think of where a large outside brand has achieved even modest success is Dorel Industries, with its serial purchases of Pacific, Cannondale, Schwinn, GT and related brands. Wal-Mart shoppers are not going to spend 3-5 k for a bike! I would have thought their frame prices would have more closely matched online Chinese carbon frames. For those people, being able to buy a high-quality bike online means they dont have to go into a potentially scary, elitist, unwelcoming bike shop where theyll be uncomfortable and possibly judged.. If they add a similarly specced and priced short or mid travel fs bike, those things will sell like hot cakes. bicycle "Of course, there was some backlash with the Walmart connection,'' said Mark Jordan, whose CrankTank marketing group staged the Viathon launch and was quoted in Yobbi's original article. February edition of BikeBiz magazine now available, Pros perspective: Olly Wilkins on DMRs new ODub Bars, MTB clothing brand Dharco aims to expand in Europe, The top five jobs in the bike trade this week 3rd March, German custom bike brand Velo De Ville to launch in UK at The Cycle Show 2023, Ribble Cycles launches new collective of riders, Squire releases its first range of wearable cycle locks, SRAM releases new Force AXS groupset, developed for WorldTour pros. As a straight-up road bike, wed have no issues with the Viathon G1. He wants to grow the brand slowly but steadily. Very glad for your fair judgement and perspective. On its own, Viathon strikes me as a modestly interesting enthusiast brand with some solid, value-oriented bikes that feature industry-standard design and technology. Yea 10k is a lot for a bike, but its also top tier in the Mtb world. the forks face the right way. Let's see the salaries of engineers at Specialized giving us all these "advancements" in recent years that 90% of people riding mountain bicycles on trails don't need. Certainly, there are many Walmart shoppers among us, though likely few who have bought a bike there. All Viathon bikes come with a 2-year warranty. The finishing kit and drive train on the G1 option of the Viathon gravel bike is decent and should be seen as a good value. Someone posted an Outside magazine article above that details it. Hopefully the forks won't be on backwards. $2000 is still steep for an entry level hardtail, especially without at 27.5+ option. Complete builds start at $2,300, and top out at $3,500 for the gravel models and around $6,000 for the road and mountain bikes. Not that Viathon is going mass-market anytime soon. Viathon says it wants to bridge Walmarts current low-price offerings to the bike-enthusiastbusiness. Pleased to see this. Now on to the final word on this carbon fiber crushed rock roller. I dont shop at Walmart anyway since they decided to blame guns for violence. A 69.5-degree head angle and 73.6-degree seat tube angle are what many brands had a few years ago. The M1 carbon hardtail, with a SRAM GX Ealge driveterain comes in at a bargain price of $2,200, with the top-level SRAM AXS electronic drivetrain equipped model hitting $6,500. We tested ways to dial out that feeling, like installing a ShockStop stem, and even to the point of using ridiculously low tire pressures, but as is, this bike is on the harsh side. 1600 is still not going to mitigate the way this bike rides, and that is maybe something some folks wouldnt be willing to compromise on at any price. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts Thats a challenge. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Andy T described the handling as stock as being razor sharp, so from that standpoint, riders looking for a more road racing leaning gravel bike should be satisfied with the G1. Time for competition to drive down the absurd prices on bikes. When used in conjunction with good cultural management practices and as part of a complete disease control program, viAtHOntM will control/suppress specified diseases associated with almond, barley, corn, grasses grown for seed, onions, peanuts, pecans, pistachio, soybeans, walnut, watermelons, and wheat. "With Walmart's reach, we will create an awareness of the brand.". Except none of that happened. Viathon, like Bonobos, goes against the fundamental tenets on which Walmart was built. But if Walmart must have some data that shows theyll sell some of these. Certainly, Walmart has the resources to overcome that, if it chooses, and it also has a reach like few other companiesWalmart sells more bicycles in North America than any other retailer, according to industry analyst Jay Townley. The motorcycle comparison is nothing to do with whether its top spec blaa blaa blaa. The gravel scene is important for that. Blog postings are outsourced to cycling journalist Aaron Gulley. Movelo Electric Bicycle for Adults 27.5In 350W Mountain Bike with 360Wh Removable Li-Ion Battery-Blue 27.5" Exclusively angular frame Not available 26" 350W Electric Bike for Adults Mountain eBike w 48V Battery Dual Lights Black Not available 26" Hyper Easy Rider Multi-Speed Bike 26" Hyper Easy Rider Men's Cruiser (29) Not available online I'm a kiter, and that industry is even worse. Why would pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap Walmart be interested in such a high-end part of the bicycle market when the market-dominating retailer is already Americas biggest seller of keenly priced bicycles? (The first was at the Sea Otter expo earlier in the year.). Someone asked above how can they sell for this much cheaper? Viathons G.1 gravel bike requires the same build. Brilliant, someone commenting who clearly has no idea how much it costs to actually make a bike. Viathon is a standalone direct-to-consumer brand that, by rights, shouldnt exist. And who cares what other people think? It's funny - as a surfer, I'm seeing a lot of people who typically spend mediocre wave days in the water scrapping for a lousy ride now turn towards mountain biking as their go-to activity when the waves are garbage. At these prices you can buy if for the components and off the frame. The impetus for Viathon didnt come from Tom and Steuart Walton, avid riders, Walmart heirs responsible for the trail network in Bentonville, Ark., and investors in Rapha and Allied Cycle Works. I read an article that estimates the bikes the top pro supercross riders use would cost somewhere in the range 100k-200k. News of a new bike brand was recently published online that linked the Viathon Bicycles brand with Walmart. The history of the bicycle business is, in one sense, a history of powerful outsiders coming in to teach us dumb yokels how things are done in the Big Leagues. It's been just about four months since a line of consumer-direct carbon road, gravel and mountain bikes premiered from a new brand called Viathon, emerging out of the bright Sea Otter sunshine like the goddess Athena springing full-formed from the forehead of Zeus. Spinhirne-Martin says yes, and reiterated that he wants to grow the bike industry, not put other brands or bike shops out of business. This is not meant to be in support or against Viathon or Walmart, but there's a few things people here are missing. Therefore we have nothing really to go by but the suggested retail and maybe current internet pricing at the time of publishing a piece. Long, low, slack? The brand is starting with three models . We got bills to pay and we work our asses off for you ya jergoffs. Walmart already has impeccable high-end bicycle connections. The Waltons own Moosejaw. Your email address will not be published. So, that limits demand. yup. You think bikes v motos are bad, hell you can get a casio watch for 1000x less than a rolex. Viathonbicycles.com has more info. Trail systems even in coastal areas are getting so well-built (and relatively easy due to limited elevation, at least on the US east coast) that a lot of people can easily get into the sport if they have a bike. Gwin was smoking everyone on a very close to stock YT tues high end build. View specs and technical data for all Viathon Bike Models. By running razor thin margins at insane volumes. They have dumped millions into cycling in AK, even helping to fund the Arkansas High Country Route. Viathon calls the full carbon frame optimized for light weight & efficient pedaling, claiming a frame weight of 870g a size 54 with all hardware. Right now, Viathon sits on the value end of the spectrum, alongside other house brands like Scattante or the now-closed Foundry: perfectly fine, but not particularly compelling. It does all those things a really good racing bike should do. It seems like it would be a good exploring bike for when you'd likely be riding lots of dirt roads as well as singletrack. has lg fixed their compressor issues 2020. The GVR is designed for the speed of race day and fast-paced action on pave and open fire road sections. We highly recommend retaining the original shipping box & protective packaging for future use. The bike thats getting the most attention is Viathons new hardtail mountain bike, though Walmart is also launching with road and gravel options. Spinhirne-Martin wouldnt reveal sales targets but, reading between the lines, he likely doesnt have to sell many for the brand to be considered a success. mcclam funeral home obituaries,