Your kit should consist of cloth bags for dry things like flour, salt, sugar, cereal and youll need glass containers for things that are wet, like olive oil, peanut butter, coconut oil and things like that. Because of this lifestyle we found that we're saving 40 percent on our overall budget. We were unable to subscribe you to WBUR Today. [30][31] As Gypsy Soul wrote: "The book is split into sections which makes it very easy to use as a reference book when you want to tackle a certain area of your life. Small appliances: An all-in-one blender and a toaster. I also wanted to let our friends and family know what zero waste was about because, again, people did not know what the zero waste lifestyle was; the term was not associated with a lifestyle. "The great advantage of zero waste or the zero waste lifestyle is that it makes you highly self-sufficient and highly adaptable" she said. It was not really bringing me any joy to be consuming so much. It's a way for you to say that you're OK with disposables and you wish of a world filled with disposables, and of course, more disposables will be created. Beauty. Look for items in your home that are disposable that you can replace with items that can be reused again and again. Make yours a waste-free sanctuary. Find collection sites for hard-to-recycle items (corks, worn-out shoes and clothes) and hazardous materials (batteries, paint, and motor oil). ", "Whatever change you adopt you have to see yourself doing it for life because then that's when it becomes a lifestyle. You know, some people might think well why don't you work in politics to make change and I'm like, well, because that is not my strength. People just didn't understand what we're doing. To facilitate your transition to a zero waste lifestyle. The more you refuse the less you have to reduce. As a kid, I grew up in a very simple way in the south of France. Bea Johnson is THE OG of Zero Waste. Castile soap is wonderful, and apart from dishwasher and laundry detergents, it can satisfy all your soap needs in the house! If you realise that what you have is all that matters and if you really live a life that is based on human relations, activities and strengthening human bonds that's when you can taste the good life. Bea Johnson is the fairy godmother of the modern zero waste movement; for the past several years her family's entire yearly waste has fitted in a small glass jar. When Bea Johnson and her family decided to move out of their house in the suburbs in 2006, they would have never imagined the journey they were about to embark on. Bea's assertion that Zero Waste saves time and money is based on her own experience; comparing household spending from the year before their experiment began with a Zero Waste year, the Johnsons . Depending on your composting system, the list that you affix on your receptacle might include: Cellophane bags (make sure its cellophane and not plastic! She owned a three thousand square foot home, drove nice big cars and filled a 64 gallon rubbish bin every week. Here are examples of cleaning, laundry, pest, and gardening products that you can eliminate from your home by using vinegar instead: Adhesive remover: Remove stickers by soaking them with warm vinegar. "It does translate into a simpler life, a life that is based on experiences instead of things.". to adopt zero waste lifestyles, open unpackaged shops, conceive reusable products, and launch organizations, but also large corporations to offer alternatives to single-use. So it's something that really appeals to a lot of people. Favor natural fibers. Step 1: Refuse (What We Do Not Need) Single-use plastics (SUPs): Freebies Junk mail Unsustainable practices like: accepting receipts or business cards that we will never consult, buying excessive packaging and discarding it without urging the manufacturer to change. Herbicide (also known as weed killer): Simply kill weeds by spraying full-strength vinegar onto them. You're just living with exactly what you need and it opens up room then for a richer, as you say, and fuller life, in a way.Every time you consume it's taking you away from living your dreams. Headache: Drink an espresso, rub mint on the temples, or roll a fresh California bay leaf into your nostril. You can do that by, for example, swapping paper towels for rags, or instead of tissues use handkerchiefs but also buy your food unpackaged. You have remained in right site to start getting this info. But best of all, we've replaced anything that is disposable for a reusable alternative. At one point Neo has to choose between taking the blue pill or the red pill. The first one is to refuse what we do not need. In many countries traveling by train is faster than flying. In 2009, she started sharing her journey through her blog, Zero Waste Home, and in 2010, was featured in The New York Times. Johnson talked with ABC7 News from a campground in the Arizona desert. So yes, when we travel we always travel with a cloth bag to buy our food on the go. Ancient proverb. Paper packaging can be recycled or composted much more easily than plastic. I have twelve because we can sit ten people at our table and I need a couple of extras for serving. Tooth powder: Just use baking soda (add 1 teaspoon white stevia to 1 cup baking soda if needed). Reuse: Shop for groceries with reusables and rethink your leftovers. A reusable stainless-steel canteen (insulated, if you plan on consuming hot drinks). Sunburn: Apply a generous amount of apple cider vinegar or olive oil. If it doesn't, too bad. Menstrual cramps: Drink chamomile or yarrow tea and apply a warm pad on the belly (i.e., a bottle filled with hot water, sealed tight, and placed in a sock). Recycle: Donate worn-out clothing to participating recyclers. We see the life that we used to have as a waste of money, a waste of time and a life that was just based on the wrong priorities. I'd personally rather invest my money in businesses that are doing it right. We also have another for the sneaky plastic corks and the rare candy wrappers that make their way into our home. It's just a generic type bar of soap that we use to wash our hair, our faces, our bodies, and my husband and the kids also use it to shave. "We've found that we're saving 40 percent on our overall budget," she says. So it's one product that has eliminated others. Youll also need to build yourself a little kit to take to the shops. Know by heart what your community can or cannot recycle at the curb. That's really the one that I really thought about when I was watching documentaries and reading books early on and that's when my husband and I realised that if we wanted a better world for our children we had to be part of the solution. Between the four of them, they produce only about ONE QUART of garbage per year. Bea Johnson, her husband and two sons have been living waste-free since 2008 Do you want to perhaps finish this conversation by explaining how the zero waste movement has sort of revolutionised your inner world?Yeah so there are two quotes actually from Ghandi that really lead me to where I am today. Bea Johnson is a guru of zero waste living. It's a part inspirational story that tells how Bea transformed the life of herself and her family for the better by reducing their waste to an astounding one litre a year (one single mason jar). But yet when I saw that term, it gave me a goal. It's not a special bar of soap. But some other people might have been drawn to it for health reasons. Rot: Embrace trench composting when camping or traveling. To remove salt marks, use the Basic Mix cleaner (1 cup water, 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar, citrus peels in vinegar for smell). Join them and hundreds of thousands of others in enjoying a richer life based on experiences instead of stuff! For tough jobs, you canspray vinegar, sprinkle with baking soda, let sit, and then scrub. So when you say no in that way they respect your choice and they let you go, but it takes a while to find a sentence that works for you. By following these steps, in order, cutting waste can be . If so, how often? The more you reduce the less you have to reuse, and so on. [17][18][12] First criticized as "hippie" and "bohemian", the zero waste lifestyle then became more mainstream. We live in a linear economy where products are designed for the dustbin. Wet the stone, apply it, and dry it after use. Consider transportation alternatives to get to your destination. Rust remover: To remove rust from small items, soak them in undiluted vinegar for a few hours, scrub with a toothbrush, and rinse thoroughly. When the time came to move into their forever home, they realized they hadn't missed most of those possessions. The second "R" is to "reduce" what you do actually need. Okay, let's talk about the steps of the zero waste movement that you created. But we also buy our food unpackaged. Her work has inspired millions of people to adopt zero waste lifestyles, open unpackaged shops, conceive reusable products, and launch organizations, but also large corporations to offer alternatives to single-use. In a Zero Waste world, recycling would be standardized across the globe, or even better, products would be designed for reuse and repair so that recycling would not even be necessary or at least would be greatly reduced. Peter O'Dowd produced and edited this interview for broadcast with Kathleen McKenna. Alum stone/crystal deodorant is easy to use. "It's all about following my methodology of five rules. You will both understand what the zero-waste lifestyle is about, and have a long, detailed list of how to implement it. Coughs and sore throats: Gargle salt water and suck on a lozenge (recipe). Reduce the distance traveled. You have been subscribed to WBUR Today. And I also missed a life that we had known in the big European cities that we had lived in. Bea Johnson transformed her family's health, finances, and relationships for the better by reducing their waste to an astonishing half litre per year. What are some of the simplest things that they can do today that will have the biggest impact?The first thing I would tell them is that the zero waste lifestyle is the complete opposite of what they think it is. Adopting Zero Waste alternatives does not happen overnight; as a matter of fact, the overall journey is likely to follow a progression: Confidence: Perseverance prevails; you move beyond frustration as family and friends gradually accept your lifestyle change. That is why a staple of Zero Waste living is buying un-packaged products from bulk bins and taking them home in your own reusable containers. With a blog turned bestselling book and talks throughout the world, Bea Johnson and her family have debunked those misconceptions and inspired a global movement. We still get criticism for eating meat on occasions, for flying or for using toilet paper, but no matter what you do you'll get criticised. It's the person that consumes for the household that has the choice to one, either not consume or two, consume differently by buying food unpackaged, all the necessities secondhand. The kids don't have credit cards it's the parents that do. Well, we've proven them wrong. In Zero Waste Home, Bea Johnson shares the story of how she simplified her life by reducing her waste. She is renowned for pioneering the trash jar, a pint-sized container she uses to fit her familys yearly garbage, and for developing The 5Rs of Zero Waste, a method she published in Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying your Life by Reducing your Waste (Scribner, 2013). At the heart of this movement it's seems to be more about minimalism and voluntary simplicity than, like, predominately eliminating waste.Well not for everyone, people will start for lots of different reasons. The Zero Waste Collective is incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to interview Bea Johnson, author of Zero Waste Home (best-selling book and blog!). We gave a face to the lifestyle and when people saw what we looked like, when they saw the interiors of our home and our sense of aesthetics, it drew a lot of people in and people were like, wow, if that's what the zero waste lifestyle looks like I want to do zero waste. That's fantastic, I'm glad you've been embraced with such positivity here in Australia. The zero waste lifestyle for us is exactly that because we didn't have the solutions at the start, so we failed lot and it was very difficult. Both lists are conveniently located adjacent to our pantry and are made of strips of used paper (typically homework printed on a single side). Unsustainable practices like: accepting receipts or business cards that we will never consult, buying excessive packaging and discarding it without urging the manufacturer to change. For gold, simply cover with vinegar for one hour and rinse. It seems to be equally about being grateful for the things that you do have rather than sort of being stingy or going without. [5][1][6] Having started to adhere to simple living as early as 2006,[7] Johnson is widely recognized for pioneering and popularizing waste-free living. We tested a lot of extremes, but eventually we found a balance that worked for us. And every year, nearly 262 million tons of trash is created across the country. They make bread much better than I do. But there were no books, no blogs, no guide on how to eliminate trash at home, so I had to test a lot of things. Once we bring these things into our home they add to our clutter and then they become our trash problem. Upholstery freshener: Lightly spray the Basic Mix on a cloth and wipe upholstery to neutralize odors, remove surface dirt, and boost color (first test in an inconspicuous area). Spoiler alert: you may have to eat less hamburgers. I have created a bulk locating app, named Bulk, so you, too, can enjoy the benefits of shopping the package-free aisles. Thank you! How to live life with less and create a 'zero waste' home Bea Johnson and her family produce just one litre-sized jar of rubbish per year. About 10 years ago, Bea Johnson decided to make a major change in the way she lived her life. To us we find that it translates into true happiness because we discovered a life that is based on being instead of having. If your into fashion, don't start with your wardrobe, but maybe start with your husband's first [laughs]. RELATED: Want to save the environment? I visited Source Bulk Foods just a couple of days ago so I was able to fill my cloth bags with some snacks and then it was easy to buy sandwiches or whatever. The global zero waste communitys most useful tool,making package-free locations easy to share and findworldwidewith 10,000 locations in 100countries and growing daily! One of those is Good Earth in Mill Valley where bulk products are available, but the staff will now scoop them for you into paper bags. storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-stuff, ecologycenter.org/recycling/recycledcontent_fall2000/plastics_qa.html#faq3, collaborativeconsumption.com/the-movement/snapshot-of-examples.php, nikereuseashoe.com/get-involved/drop-off-locations, lionsclub.org/EN/our-work/sight-programs/eyeglass-recycling. Contact all the people who are sending you junk mail and tell them to stop. Thank you! Home. Since 2008, Johnson's family of four has produced only one small jar of trash a year. Especially because you were just becoming known and entering into the public domain and you really believed in what you were doing.So yes, it was in 2009 that I decided to write a blog, just to share the solution that we had found with the people that would be interested in it. In her book, "Zero Waste Home," Johnson shares her strategies for creating a zero-waste home. For example if someone is sick and they look at the causes of most diseases they often find that going zero waste is the solution that solves some of the problems that they're experiencing. View Zerowastehome.com; 2018 Zero Waste Home. Johnson decided to move towards being zero waste in 2008, after moving to an apartment with her family, downsizing, and realising how much better life was when it was simpler. We really went to some crazy extremes but eventually we realised that whatever we were doing, it had to be feasible in the long run with two full-time jobs. Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste. Next . A less aggressive way is to set aside a day (maybe two, depending on the speed of your decision making) to take. You are accessing outdated posts. "It's really not as complicated as people may think it is," Johnson (@zerowastehome) tellsHere & Now's Peter O'Dowd. [24][25] According to MSN News, Johnson had to cancel her speaking tour in the US due to quarantine and lockdown polices in 2020 but still maintained her zero waste lifestyle while living on the road and staying at the campgrounds. You could also purchase reusable stainless-steel or titanium cocktail picks. This is why the capsule wardrobe movement spreading on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest caught my attention. They get all excited about it and they are very accepting of it. Running all your errands on the same day, once a week, and with a list, will not only save you from impulse shopping, it will allow you to build a relationship with staff members. Refuse: Reject Halloween trinkets when trick-or-treating; pick consumables instead. "This is a question I personally don't understand. Zero Waste Home is the ultimate guide to simplified, sustainable living from Bea Johnson, 'the priestess of waste-free living' (The New York Times). Ba Johnson is a US-based environmental activist, author and motivational speaker. And actually, it was a nightmare to get it repaired because after all those 11 times, it dawned on me that maybe it was the repairman that was not good. To clean the oven, generously spray with vinegar, then sprinkle with baking soda and let sit overnight, scrape with a spatula, and wipe clean. So we simply learn to say no to promotional freebies, junk mail, samples, free gifts, you know, swag bags. And we also buy secondhand if we need to buy something. DETAILS BELOW Bea Johnson (born July 2, 1974) is famous for being blogger. Every time you buy packaging, for example, every time you shop at a regular supermarket and you buy your food in packaging, it's a way for you to invest your money in an unsustainable world for your children. What I find really interesting is that when you started out you got quite a lot of criticism. Johnson said. Now, of course, it's a term that has gone mainstream, but back then it wasn't. In actuality it was quite the opposite.People thought that because it was zero waste that it was crazy. [10][15][16] The blog evolved and in 2013 Johnson published a book, summarizing her views and philosophy on minimalism and offering practical advice on how to reduce waste at home. It was in that sanctuary and simplicity that we also found time to read books and watch documentaries; books like 'Slow Death by Rubber Duck' (Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie) and documentaries like 'The Inconvenient Truth' (Al Gore) or 'Home' (Yann Arthus-Bertrand). But we still get criticism in places where the lifestyle is not yet well known, where the term itself has not really hit the mainstream. No need for trash liners since the wet items that usually make them necessary are compostable. Now that you are using your old trash can to collect compostable materials, you can use your old compost receptacle (usually the size of a small bucket) to collect landfill waste. [Laughs] It's quite a goal.There were no books and no blogs on how to eliminate trash at home so I had to test a lot of things. "There are some items that we've simply realized we didn't need. You can: For tips and insights on her waste-free lifestyle, visit her Instagram andFacebook page (@zerowastehome), or sit back, relax, and watch the video below. Color set: If a garment has proved to bleed in the wash, let it soak in vinegar before laundering. Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot (and only in that order) is my method to reducing my familys annual trash to a jar since 2008, The mother of the zero waste lifestyle movement., We can all learn by the Johnsons example., There was a time when nobody knew what zero waste meant, but since Bea Johnson published Zero Waste Home, the phrase has become mainstream., Johnson has emerged as a guru for people looking to take green living to a new level., The Zero Waste movement is steadily picking up steam, and its all thanks to Bea Johnson, authority on a waste-free lifestyle., The zero-waste lifestyle movement began in [Bea Johnson]s kitchen and has grown to influence eight of the biggest plastic polluting companies in the world., Browse products Beas family uses to get close to ZERO, Pick up a copy ofZero Waste Homein your language, Join Bea on tour or book her for your next event. Earplugs: Soften a marble-size ball of cheese wax. Bea Johnson Zero Waste Family. To learn more about her work and sustainable lifestyle, we chatted with Johnson during a break in her busy speaking schedule. Toilet cleaner: Spray vinegar, then scrub. The first Chapter "The 5Rs and the Benefits of the Zero Waste Lifestyle explains the core principles of her zero waste philosophy. Bea Johnson and her family are dedicated to living a zero waste lifestyle. We'll always pick a restaurant where they serve with real plates, real glasses and real flatware. Home canning is a great alternative to store-bought cans, most of which are loaded with MSG and can leach BPA. Spoiler alert: you may have to eat less hamburgers. . Zero Waste Home is the ultimate guide to simplified, sustainable living from Bea Johnson, 'the priestess of waste-free living' (The New York Times). Over time, we've been able to inspire a global movement. Vinyl cleaner: Clean and shine no-wax vinyl linoleum floors with 1 gallon of water supplemented with 1 cup of vinegar. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for your health and it's not going to take more money or take more time to live this way, it's the opposite. It took us about two years to find a balance and to find solutions that we could stick to in the long run. "Forty of my events have been canceled this spring, but we can't really go back home. The focus is on our consumption habits and the role they play in the destruction of this planet we all share. , a pint-sized container she uses to fit her familys yearly garbage, and for developing, , a method she published in Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying your Life by Reducing your Waste (Scribner, 2013). Almost a decade ago. When you let go you will be able to make those things, which are in themselves valuable resources, available to your community" Johnson said. They pictured us as a hippies living in the woods and they said "i'm sure she's got hairy legs," and people said "oh it's disgusting what they're doing to their children, it's depriving them of the good life." Australians have no reason not to go zero waste with the amount of unpackaged stuff that places like The Source Bulk Foods have available. While the eco-market pushes the consumption of organic mattresses and sheets in order to green a bedroom, I believe that the most important step you can take is to reduce clutter. In 2008, she adopted a zero waste as a lifestyle for her and her family, and her life has not been the same ever since. Taking the blue pill meant sticking to the life that he's always known. During the pandemic many stores have banned reusable bags, but don't forget about other easily reusable products. Reading material: A library book, an e-book, or preowned magazines from the local thrift store. In the year and a half Johnson since spoke in South Africa, fifteen Zero Waste stores, selling food and sundries such as dishwashing detergent in bulk, have opened primarily in the country's.