"Currently, a bill dedicated to Hargrove has made some strides at the roundhouse. It also lays out that there cant be more than five commissioners from the same political party. How could this have been missed? said Lynlaria Dickson, his daughter. The loss of Larry Williams is still felt by his family everyday. Dickson and her sister Lariat Williams, were with their father during his first visit to San Juan Regional Medical Center and noticed the medical staffs lack of communication with him. Videos recorded by students give a graphic account of what unfolded inside a Florida high school Feb. 14. document.querySelector("#adunit").addEventListener('click',function(){ eventAction: 'click_image_ads' hitType: 'event', Since Roe was overturned, such local ordinances have been identified as a tool for officials to control where patients can get an abortion, advocates and legal experts say. Lawmakers want more advanced expertise and diversity standards for future commissioners. "Juan, I want you to understand the actions you took on that day when you killed Bennie, didn't just affect his familyyou frightened the other middle school children who were attending that same school. Officers responded quickly as did school staff. He is a 14-year-old middle school student charged with shooting and killing his classmate, Bennie Hargrove, in August 2021. I always tell my kids, if someone is picking on somebody, you need to stand up to them. You also dont get bullied. The mission of Washington Middle School is to prepare our students with the experiences, skills, and knowledge essential for continued success. It now heads to the Senate. No other students were injured. [15] Loukaitis has also stated that he tried to model his life after the novel Rage's protagonist Charlie Decker, who kills two teachers and takes his algebra class hostage.[1]. Boom boom, boom boom, everybody just starts running. Albuquerque police say a student at Washington Middle School was shot and killed by another student Friday. The lawn outside the U.S. Capitol is covered with 7,000 pairs of empty shoes to memorialize the 7,000 children killed by gun violence since the Sandy Hook school shooting, in a display organized . Maier said the suspect, Juan Saucedo Jr., had a "long history of violence and bullying." Police are also looking into where the shooter got the gun. KRQE News 13 asked APS administrators and police were aware of that, they said they are looking into that. The player who made the allegations said similar hazing incidents had been occurring since summer. BUT IT WAS 100%, BARELY. Public 6-8. The gunfire at Washington Middle School marked the second shooting in New Mexico's largest city in less than 24 hours. Our officers put themselves in danger to keep people safe. At the time, authorities said the shooting was. The New Mexico Public Education Department released a statement in response to the shooting, calling it a horrendous day for the state. She saw kids running outside and so she ran for cover inside the building. The student told police Hargrove walked up to Saucedo at lunch to tell Saucedo to stop bullying his friend and that he didnt want to fight but wanted him to leave his friends alone.. This was a terrible tragedy for everyone involved, District Attorney Sam Bregman said. Last edited on 19 February 2023, at 04:13, Learn how and when to remove this template message, List of school shootings in the United States (before 2000), "School Killings All Too Familiar Moses Lake Horror Parallels Plot Of Novel Found In Suspect's Room", "Loukaitis Knew Shooting Wrong, Psychiatrist Says", "Barry Loukaitis, Moses Lake school shooter, breaks silence with apology", "WHERE RAMPAGES BEGIN: A special report. After coming to terms with his passing, the family decided to take action. District: Seattle School District No. A 13-year-old boy has been charged with murder for the shooting death of another 13-year-old at Washington Middle School on Friday. The boy, believed to be 13, was fatally shot at Washington Middle School in Albuquerque, the Albuquerque Journal reported. The young boy has been arrested but his name hasn't been revealed yet as investigation is ongoing and the motive behind the shooting is still unclear. She may have saved other lives. One victim has been transported to the hospital. Saucedo Jr. was charged with first-degree murder in Hargrove's death. People are moving through the facility so quickly that weve never come to a place where its been too full.. While there's a lot to unpack about what led to the incident, the victim was a 13-year-old boy, the same age as the shooter. Juan Saucedo Jr. ,14, pleaded 'no contest' in the murder of Bennie Hargrove, a 13-year-old student shot and killed at Washington Middle School in August 2021. According to the DA's office, Saucedo cannot be legally tried as an adult because of his age, if the case would've gone to trial, he would have received the same punishmentSaucedo received the maximum punishment allowed under New Mexico law as a child. Our Indian hospitals dont have a lot of experts to see us in regards to the struggles that we face on the Indian reservations, Williams said. There were 51 school shootings in 2022 that resulted in injuries or deaths, the most in a single year since Education Week began tracking such incidents in 2018. Notifications can be turned off anytime from browser settings. "I don't know about forgiveness right now. "I almost felt like I helped raise Bennie and that relationship was taken from me with his murder leaving me with so many questions and no answers. A Hubbard Broadcasting Company, Track Bennies Bill (House Bill 9) during the legislative session. She acted as an expert on the bill on Wednesday. "Juan, I want you to understand the actions you took on that day when you killed Bennie, didn't just affect his familyyou frightened the other middle school children who were attending that same school. They can be more socially conservative, with residents who object to abortion on moral grounds. We can only imagine the terror felt by families rushing to pick up their children, fearing the worst. I would say about right here and here we are 10 minutes later and theres cops everywhere, said Ross Rader. Loukaitis then fatally shot his algebra teacher Leona Caires in the chest. He's only going to do 6 years. A 13-year-old boy has been charged with murder for the shooting death of another 13-year-old at Washington Middle School on Friday. There will be no classes on Monday, Elder said, however, staff will be "working with counselors and therapists to help prepare so that when the children return we'll be equipped to handle them and their concerns in coming back to the school. Hes gonna be 21 to do as he pleases, and my grandson is not, Sawyer said. At New Mexico St, a meltdown that runs beyond basketball - By Eddie Pells AP National Writer. FOR ME, I FEEL THAT, HE SAID THE GIVEN THE MAXIMUM I EVEN AFTER HES 21. In New Mexico, which has one of the country's most liberal abortion access laws, activists in two counties and three cities in the eastern part of the state have successfully sought ordinance changes restricting the procedure. window.googletag.pubads().addEventListener('slotOnload', function(event) { Asbury said there were two twins who were beaten up and bullied and their friend Bennie Hargrove decided to confront the bully who has been identified as Juan Saucedo. Students were made safe quickly by school personnel and APS Police, said Kyle Hartstock with the police department. He said the goal is to diversify commissioners. Cops rush to the scene of a lunchtime gun attack at an Albuquerque school Credit: KRQE. Or, she said, family or friends could come pick them up. document.querySelector("#google_image_div").addEventListener('click',function(){ In that video, captured on police body cam, an officer is interviewing the university's $500,000-a-year chancellor, Dan Arvizu, and his wife, Sheryl Arvizu. 2023, Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of KOAT-TV. The downtown school was placed on lockdown as cops flooded . Clinic owner Diane Derzis, who has owned numerous other abortion clinics including the one in Mississippi at the center of the Supreme Court's recent decision downplays the pushback. Saucedos father told officials that he noticed his gun was missing around noon on Friday. Peake, who said he was acting in self-defense, has not been charged with a crime. And the senseless and violent death of a child in our protection is, indeed, the worst. Back to District Site. Lane kept Loukaitis subdued until police arrived at the scene. Imagine someone just approaches you and starts sticking needles in you. Three months after a 13-year-old was shot and killed at Washington Middle School, police body camera and surveillance footage from that day has been released. According to the Bernalillo County District Attorneys Office, Saucedo Jr. will remain in custody until he is 21 the maximum sentence allowed for a child under New Mexico law. Classes on Monday, August 17 have been canceled, announced the school which is in lockdown currently and officials had asked parents to come and collect their kids as soon as they can. A few funding opportunities can come from the Interstate Stream Commission, but stewards have said theres been a lack of communication from the state. Lane then grabbed the weapon from Loukaitis and wrestled him to the ground, later assisting in the evacuation of students. According to a criminal complaint, another 13-year-old student told police Saucedo had shown him and several other students a gun that he brought to school. It said these standards would make it hard to find candidates that meet the complex and burdensome restrictions or who would be willing to volunteer to do so.. (Ryan Laughlin/KOB 4 TV via AP) The cops show up every time.. In 2021, they found representation with the American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico and the Fine Law Firm. Debra Mehaffey, who has spent more than a decade protesting outside abortion clinics, said people are coming to Bristol from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, "all over to come get abortions, you know, because they can't get them in their state.". Lawmakers concerned bill to tighten state water commissioner requirements is too strict - Megan Gleason, Source New Mexico. Democratic officials have since proposed legislation to ban them from interfering with abortion access. SchoolDigger Rank: 150th of 541 Washington Middle Schools. Grandmother with dementia died from face wound neglected by staff for days. The shooting was a lone incident in which one student shot another in the schoolyard during lunch break at Washington Middle School, Albuquerque Police Department Deputy Commander Kyle Hartsock said in a press conference. The boy was taken to an area hospital, where he died, Deputy Cmdr. "We're just on our heels all the time.". He got the maximum for a child, so I'm happy about that. }); Authorities had said the student who shot his classmate brought his father's gun to school. [12] The trial was later moved to Seattle, Washington due to media publicity. And they were punching him. Student shooter opens fire at Albuquerque middle school, killing at least one classmate. The victim was transported to the hospital where they died from their injuries. After Roe, which triggered the Volunteer State's strict abortion law, the clinic hopped over the state line into Bristol, Virginia. The campus is secure at this time. ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico New Mexico authorities said one student was killed and another was taken into custody following a . He says hes frightened right now. Unis claimed Loukaitis could not have bipolar disorder because his personality was not fully developed at the time of the shooting. My 'Bennie' will never have that chance. Meanwhile, the New Mexico Public Education Department released the following statement Friday: This is a horrendous day for New Mexico. 89.9 FM Live From The University Of New Mexico, Four members from irrigation or conservancy districts or sections, One member from an acequia or community ditch, One member from of a state drinking water utility that provides at least 500 acre-feet of water annually for domestic use, One member from the Water Resources Research Institute OR whos a civil or environmental engineering faculty member at UNM or NMSU, One hydrogeologist with expertise in state ground water resources who is also a faculty member of the N.M. Institute of Mining and Technology OR is a professional engineer with a New Mexico consulting engineering practice in water resources or water utility engineering, No less than 10 years experience with state water resources, No more than two members can be from the same irrigation or conservancy district or section, No more than two members can be from the same Native nation, tribe or Pueblo, No more than three members can be from the same congressional district, Members have to reside in at least three different state engineer water rights districts. Flooding after the Black Fire destroyed acequias in southern New Mexico. Freedman Boyd Hollander Goldbern Urias & Ward P.A.. "I want to send out my thoughts and prayers. It goes to the governors desk if passed by the House. Bernalillo County District Attorney Sam Bregman also spoke on the incident. hitType: 'event', It still has a long journey ahead in the two and a half weeks that remain this session. Lawmakers are once again considering a similar measure that would criminalize negligent gun storage in cases where a child brandishes the weapon or uses it to hurt someone. Hearst Television participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. The Aggies continued to play for nearly three more months. After the hearing, Sawyer also expressed her thoughts following Saucedo's sentencing. When police arrived at the school, they found Hargrove with several gunshot wounds. Jonathan Martinez is the acequia lead at the commission. reporters on a platform technologically tailored to meet the needs of the modern reader. Chris Hess, who as pastor of St. Anne Catholic Church has advocated for the zoning change. A shooting at a school and the loss of a schoolmate are terrible and traumatic events for students, families, and the community. On this day, however, it played out in a parking lot outside a modest government building in Bristol where officials had just advanced a proposal that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of her community. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. @krqe pic.twitter.com/04bdBMYD6C. Yet that effort does not always go smoothly: The politics of border towns and cities don't always align with those in their state capitals. Bregman and Sawyer have both fought to make Bennies Bill, which would hold parents accountable for their children accessing their unsecured guns, law by the end of this legislative session. One neighbortold KRQE 13 he heard about six gunshots ring out while students were outside in the schoolyard. The school phone number is (505) 764-2000. This is just the third day of school for APS and some parents say its shocking to see this happen so soon. School shootings in the United States have occurred at K-12 public and private schools, as well as at colleges and universities, and on school buses. Me and him would always play around with each other..like wrestling in gym class, said a friend of the victim. Excluded from this list are the following: Incidents that occurred during wars Incidents that occurred as a result of police actions Murder-suicides by rejected suitors or estranged spouses That rule no longer exists. FILE - Family members wait to pick up students after a fatal shooting at Washington Middle School in Albuquerque, N.M., on Aug. 13, 2021. My 'Bennie' will never have that chance. No closure, just peace of rest for Bennie, but no closure, Vanessa Sawyer, Bennies grandmother, said. The Bristol Women's Health clinic is battling multiple lawsuits but would not be affected by the proposed ordinance unless it tried to expand or make other changes. So, I think he's going to be resting. Right now, Michael said law enforcement can only take people to jails or emergency departments. The pastors smiled as they held the doors open, grabbing the hands of those who walked by and urging many to keep praying and to keep showing up. The shooter is also a student and is in custody @krqe pic.twitter.com/GrCqygOi0w, At Washington Middle School- spoke with a student who said she was at lunch when the shooting happened. The incident happened when the two boys were talking after which Saucedo fired six bullets at Hargrove. In Texas, even before Roe was overturned, more than 40 towns prohibited abortion services inside their city limits. That trend, led by anti-abortion activist Mark Lee Dickson, has since successfully spread to politically conservative towns in Iowa, Louisiana, New Mexico, Nebraska and Ohio. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that people convicted of murder, which they committed when they were under 18 years of age, could not receive automatic life terms without parole and in 2016, the court ruled that the policy would also be applied retroactively. My thoughts go out to the students, families and staff of Washington Middle School, and my prayers are with the loved ones of the victim and all those affected by this senseless act of violence. Department officers search a student after a shooting at Washington . Meanwhile, the board of supervisors in Washington County, which surrounds Bristol, passed a similar restrictive zoning ordinance on Feb. 14, and at least three counties have since adopted resolutions declaring their "pro-life stance," according to the Family Foundation. If I could, I would ask for him to be in prison for the duration of his life," Hargrove's mother, Colette Wise said. Bregman said that without a law like this on the books, the district attorneys office cant charge Saucedos parents in connection to the Washington Middle School shooting. The unraveling can be traced to an NMSU football game last Oct. 15 in which a handful of the school's basketball players got into a brawl with students from rival New Mexico. }); According to reports, the shooting at the school was an isolated incident and it's not being investigated as a mass shooting. Family members told judge that Bennie was missed and that it hurt even more that another child was the one who committed the crime. The community support for Lawrence Anzures speaks volumes about his character and the tragic loss experienced by his family and friends. Bregman said he hoped the plea would bring some closure to the family, who was in court Thursday. This has been widely misunderstood because MTV had strong anti-violence imagery rules. APS releases video of deadly Washington Middle School shooting eventAction: 'render' "He died a hero," Adam Oakey said. [7] [2][8] Loukaitis had hyperactivity, and was taking Ritalin at the time of the shooting. if(document.querySelector("#ads")){ eventAction: 'click_ads' October 2008:15-year-old Quincy Coleman was shot and killed behind Garfield High School in Seattle.A 20-year-old was later charged with . . Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued the following statement following the on-campus shooting death of a Washington Middle School student in Albuquerque: "I am horrified and heartbroken by today's events in Albuquerque. Parents were seen picking their students up from school one-by-one after the shooting, telling local news outlets after making sure their children were safe that bullying hasn't been taken seriously at the school. Now just over 14-years . She said across the country, centers have never been completely full. This year, families and victims of the Parkland shooting sued the Broward County, Fla., school district in a total of 53 lawsuits, and 52 of them were resolved in a $25 million settlement. APD Chief Harold Medina says the boy who died is being hailed a hero for standing up for a friend and trying to de-escalate a violent confrontation. If we were a different skin color, maybe they would have treated my dad differently, they probably would have talked to him instead of talking to us, she said. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Bennie Hargrove bill progresses through Senate. "I'm frightened right now We've been experiencing a lot of crime on this block recently.". He's only going to do 6 years. Sixty-four Washington Archers will be competing at the Iowa Archery State Tournament this weekend in Des Moines. Theres a big family here and I gotta stay strong for all of them right now.. There are also limits on people being from the same irrigation or conservancy districts or sections. We are a mostly rural state. Friends of the student killed in a shooting started a memorial Friday night outside the school. New Mexico's hospitals were operating under standards of care that prioritize immediate medical emergencies. He planned to use one hostage so he could safely exit the school. The August attack left New Mexico's largest school district reeling and marked the second shooting in Albuquerque in less than 24 hours. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Skier Shiffrins quest for 86th win extended after, Olympic ticket sales for Paris Games gets off to, 7 Cubs pitchers combine for no-hitter vs Machado,, Mikal Bridges helps Nets rally to stun Celtics, 115-105, NASCAR star Elliott has leg surgery after snowboard, Washington Middle School students share what they saw during the shooting, New Mexico Gas Company leaders explain high winter gas bills, San Juan County sheriff who shot a dog tells his side of the story, New Mexico man sentenced for trafficking 45 lbs of meth from Mexico. }); ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO: News of a shooting incident, just three days after students resumed classes at Washington Middle School, has left everyone devastated. ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) One student was killed and another was taken into custody Friday after a shooting at a middle school near downtown Albuquerque during the lunch hour, police said.