Just to the west is Furzy Cliff.. To make following this walk easier, usemy GPS trail route on Wikiloc (its free). Thanks Mark. For more information, read our guide on the different ways tovisit Old Harry Rocks. This luxurious home-feel caravan is available for hire in Green Hill on the beautiful 5* Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park and Spa in Weymouth in Dorset. Located in a lovely quiet area. From its vantage point on top of Hen Cliff, the tower affords some pretty spectacular coastal views. This is a large holiday resort, with a large hotel which is more the style of something you might find in Spain. Have lunch in the Smugglers Inn, above the beach, where 'French Peter' smoked out a customs officer hiding in the chimney. Bus: Walk up Mills Road to reach the inland village of Osmington. Area information, map, footpaths, walks and more. Edited: 19th January 2023. Bowleaze Cove. I found this website by chance as Im always looking for new walks in my home county of Dorset and these are some great ideas with lovely photos. Bowleaze Cove to Weymouth (Station) bus services, operated by First in Wessex Dorset & South Somerset, arrive at Lennox Street station. - 59 min drive. What should I do if I have COVID-19 symptoms when I arrive in Weymouth (Station)? Immediately adjacent to the beach is The Esplanade. This is a really easy walk to one of my favourite spots on the Dorset Coast. However, at 1.5 miles long by 1.2 miles wide, its still pretty small; which means exploring the island on foot is nice and easy. . A short walk from Bowleaze to Osmington Mills, an important geological site where a small waterfall tumbles straight onto the beach. This walk explores two of the most iconic places on Dorsets Jurassic Coast. Located just a short stroll from the beach and with easy access to the Jurassic Coast's famous walking paths, villages and attractions. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. The name comes from the fact that this very pub was once a headquarters for local smuggling gangs. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. Good facilities and nice walk along sea wall into Weymouth. I go into a bit more detail about Tyenham in another page on this site where I had more room, and Im planning to write an entire article about it when I have time. To extend the walk you can continue along the path a short distance to Lulworth Cove. 10 of the Best Dog-Friendly Hotels in Dorset, Must-See Attractions on Dorsets Jurassic Coast. Turn right to head through the metal kissing gate, sticking with the SWCP as it heads uphill across an open field. Continue along Sutton road, with the Springhead Pub on your right, the road leads into White Horse lane, passing the Victorian . By proceeding, you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our, Take the bus from Overcombe Corner to Lennox Street, Take a taxi from Bowleaze Cove to Weymouth (Station), Walk from Bowleaze Cove to Weymouth (Station). This sheltered bay is enclosed almost in a circle and was formed 10,000 years ago by the combined forces of a river and the sea. You can just park at the East Bay car park in West Bay and take a look, but its better to include them on a circular walk to Burton Bradstock and back. We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. Bowleaze Cove attracts large numbers of visitors each year. Categories. If like us, you have to get to the top of something, then this Dorset Coastal walk is for you. This area of the coast was notoriously dangerous, so youll pass several lighthouses. Keep following the SWCP downhill. Enjoy. Applicable on Classic and Deluxe Holiday Homes and ALL Safari Lodge Holidays at Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa. Bowleaze Cove Dogs welcome all year, off lead at Bowleaze Cove. Pauls Walking Tour - Sundays at 10:00am - or. Getting around. Nestled beautifully between two cliffs in the tiny village of Osmington Mills, The Smugglers Inn is packed with character and feels miles from anywhere. The Charmouth Heritage Coast Center organizes guided fossil walks year-round and has exhibitions and staff who can point out what to look . This headland juts out into the sea, ending in a series of spectacular chalk stacks created by millions of years of erosion: Old Harry Rocks. - See 868 traveller reviews, 402 candid photos, and great deals for Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa at Tripadvisor. More details; Which Bus lines stop near Bowleaze Cove, Weymouth? The facilities at Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park are within walking distance of all the accommodation. This post may contain affiliate links. Contact Details. 5Some of these walks can get very busy, particularly in the summer holidays, so start early where possible to try and beat the crowds. There's plenty of opportunities to get your toes wet, because the River Jordan joins the sea here, and the ocean is sectioned off into 'zones', so your little ones can splash about! Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa, Weymouth: See 868 traveller reviews, 402 user photos and best deals for Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa, ranked #6 of 33 Weymouth specialty lodging, rated 4.5 of 5 at Tripadvisor. The complex contains a 988-seat theatre, 600 (maximum) capacity ballroom known as the Ocean Room, the Piano Bar restaurant, Ritz Cafe and other function and meeting rooms. Another lovely day walking a bit more of the path in Ruth's shoes. Once through the kissing gate, turn right and follow the narrow dirt path as it undulates through some trees, through another wooden gate, and then opens out onto the cliff edge to the right of a fenced-off field. The walk itself is a simple one. Birthplace of famed palaeontologist Mary Anning, the beach between these two coastal towns is a hotspot for fossils. Take a Look at the Cerne Giant . The ranges are about 10 km (6 mi) west of Swanage and about 15 km (9 mi) east of Dorchester.They lie within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and stretches along the coastline between the east of Lulworth Cove to just west of Kimmeridge.The coastline is part of the Jurassic Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Filled with useful and timely travel information, the guides answer all the hard questions - such as 'How do I buy a ticket? Add photo. At the far side of the holiday park, the path will veer slightly left and up some more steps. Difficulty Easy |Distance 2 kilometres (1.25 miles) |Time 30 minutes |Our Tip:This walk can get very busy, try to be there early or late to avoid the crowds. So grab your walking shoes, collect towering cliff tops, stop at natural arches, sample local ales and discover homey cafes with our favourite Dorset Coastal walks. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Its a fairly steep climb in places but the views are well worth it. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. And so, out of the bad has come some good.. Hi David, thanks so much for reading and commenting I love Brownsea Island, highly recommend it if you can find someone to look after your dog for half a day or a bit longer. 45 views, 6 likes, 0 loves, 0 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Weymouth Bay Holiday Home: Come & see the crystal clear waters of Bowleaze Cove.Only a short walk away from us! Weve been providing free travel content since 2017, helping our readers explore new and familiar destinations. To make a full walk of it, you can follow the South West Coast Path over the cliffs from Lyme to Charmouth. While its not the adrenaline hit induced by some of our favouritescrambles in the Lake District, from this position, it nonetheless towers above the surrounding countryside. Traduzioni in contesto per "shingle beach, surrounded" in inglese-italiano da Reverso Context: This large and comfortable hotel is situated near the shingle beach, surrounded with reach mediterranean. Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa: Totally love this site,excellent, the grounds are well kept,there's plenty to do,the sea is safe ideal family holiday - See 868 traveller reviews, 402 candid photos, and great deals for Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa at Tripadvisor. The only place Ive still to visit is Brownsea Island its an hours drive from my home plus the ferry and as dogs are not allowed on the island I would have to leave my dog at home for far too long. Jan Turner. Good facilities and nice walk along sea wall into . Located just a short stroll from the beach and with easy access to the Jurassic Coasts famous walking paths, villages and attractions. Youll probably still find my instructions below helpful, though. Seaviews from the patio. Recharge on local fish on the decked terrace before heading back along the cliffs to West Bay. Heads up because both Worbarrow Bay and Tyneham village are managed by the Ministry of Defence, access is limited to most weekends and school holidays. Walks. Today, the Smugglers Inn is a charming Engish pub on the cliffs, with stunning sea views from its large beer garden. Lakeland, Cumbria Lake District. Bowleaze Cove, Weymouth: See 20 reviews, articles, and 9 photos of Bowleaze Cove, ranked No.32 on Tripadvisor among 69 attractions in Weymouth. This Dorset Coastal walk takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes and all the detailed information can be foundhere. The park is smaller and more peaceful than others in the area, but bars, restaurants and shops are all within walking distance, offering the best of both . Help . Weymouth is a seaside town in Dorset, England, situated on a sheltered bay at the mouth of the River Wey on the English Channel coast. Its the perfect time to enjoy Dorsets beautiful coastal scenery. Bournemouth (BOH-Bournemouth Intl.) This path is somewhat easier and shorter. The South West Coast path is one of the most iconic trails in Britain. I'm Emily, a UK based travel blogger and writer and a born-and-bred Dorset local. With price tags reaching nearly 200,000 these are some of the most expensive beach huts in the country! Great post. Rejoin the SWCP using the steps at either the PGL or at Eweleaze Beach, then follow signs for Bowleaze Cove and Weymouth. Pennsylvania Road, Isle of Portland, Portland DT5 1HT, United Kingdom. Also, dont forget that we are a holiday park with spa, so why not schedule some you time and indulge in a selection of relaxing treatments in calm, tranquil surroundings? Making the most of the hot dry weather, I did a clifftop walk along part of the South West Coast Path.We started in Bowleaze Cove, which is bordered by a strange mixture of expensive upmarket housing and budget tourist accommodation, plus a rather intriguing Spanish-style building of epic proportions, somewhat reminiscent of the grand spas to which Soviet Communist Party members might once . . Start the St Aldhelms walk from the car park just west of Worth Matravers. . Nearby activities include nature walks, Bowleaze Cove, Weymouth beach, Lulworth Castle, and Monkey World. Weymouth - this is a long sandy beach with a typical English seaside theme. Dorset and East Devon Coast and Lodmoor Country Park reflect the area's natural beauty and area attractions include Fantasy Island Fun Park and Pirate . See our pitch map below or click here to view our 360 park tour! 4.7 miles (7.6 km) Bowleaze Coveway car park DT3 6PW Bowleaze Coveway car park. View Map Address The Giant Inn, 24 Long Street, Cerne Abbas, Dorchester DT2 . Follow the path down the other side, bearing left at the bottom to pass through the metal kissing gate where an alternative inland route of the SWCP rejoins the cliff path. Bowleaze Cove - popular with windsurfers, this beach is 6km from the site. Get Directions . My suggestion is therefore to park at Lulworth Cove, the end of the walk in the morning and travel to Weymouth by public transport to start the walk. There should be no need for a map or directions, simply follow the signposted walk from the car park to Tyneham Beach at Worbarow Bay. Leave the carpark and turn right to follow the road past Waterside Holiday Park and uphill until the end of the road. Next, youll head back alongside the lagoon, with some stunning views of Chesil Beach as well as ample opportunities to spot birdlife in the nature reserve. The journey takes approximately 6 min. 1The paths are generally clear and easy to follow on each of these walks, but allow a bit longer to explore and soak up the views. Pass through the gap in the hedge and the kissing gate and keep heading forward across the third field the SWCP turns right here to reconnect with the path you are on. One of my favourite Dorset coast walks is the simple route up and around Hengistbury Head and Mudeford Sandbank. Rome2rio displays up to date schedules, route maps, journey times and estimated fares from relevant transport operators, ensuring you can make an informed decision about which option will suit you best. St Albans Head, also called St AldhelmsHead, is one of the best walks on the Dorset coast especially if youre after a great view. An area rich with fossils, local legends, and a dark smuggling history, this one-hour cliff walk is one of my personal favourites and ideal for anyone holidaying in Weymouth. Home Our Holiday Parks Dorset Bowleaze Cove. Catch the First Bus number 4 at Weymouth, Kings Statue bus top and get off the bus at Preston (15 Minutes) walking then to Sutton Poyntz (approx 11 Minutes). England / South West / Bowleaze Cove, Dorset. 05 - WEST BAY TO HIVE BEACH CAFE. There is then a short steep 200ft descent and ascent after which the path follows the cliffs and crosses another field before returning to the car park. The loop begins at West Bay, heads across a golf course and fields before passing through Burton Bradstock. Hang glider from the Lookout Cafe above Bowleaze Cove 4. A small section of the path (about 100 miles) containsDorsets Jurassic Coast. Book your accommodation well in advance and try to set off on the walks early to beat the crowds. Seaview gives you the best of both worlds. The range includes the ghost village of Tyneham, deserted in 1943 and . Otherwise, it's a hilltop grassy running spot just before the holiday resort and funfair. Bowleaze Cove is a sand and pebble beach just over two miles northeast from Weymouth. per adult. Throughout this period, the days are long and generally dry, the flowers are out and the school holidays have not yet begun. Your holiday daydreams will become a reality when you arrive and check into your comfortable accommodation. Maybe Ill dig out that old school project! Here are some more of our guides from the area: The best ways to visit and photograph Old Harry Rocks, Dorset, Where to stay on the Jurassic Coast Hotels, huts and B&Bs, See the best of Seven Sisters Cliffs on this stunning walk, How to spend a few days visiting Dorsets Jurassic Coast, Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door A stunning short walk. The location was stunning, within easy walking distance of Bowleaze Coveway. high standard, this caravan has a master bedroom suite featuring a king size bed, wall-mounted TV, vanity unit and a walk-in wardrobe, along with an en-suite with a large shower, hand basin . The town is 11km south of Dorchester and 8km north of the Isle of Portland. If youve spent too much time in quaint, cosy tea rooms and only have time for one walk, this is the one. If you book or buy something through these links, I earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa has received more than 10 years of five-star VisitEngland ratings since becoming a member of the scheme in 2000 and the Group has recently been named as one of the UKs best holiday parks by consumer champion, Which? Located just a short stroll from the beach and with easy access to the Jurassic Coast's famous walking paths, villages and attractions. Bowleaze Cove dog-friendly beach, Dorset . You have to love a coastal walk that starts and ends in a pub! For a nice, easy one, head to Portland Bill Lighthouse and follow the trail around the southern tip of the island. . Nothe Fort is a fort in Weymouth, Dorset, England. Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa: 10th Visit! We amended the post a few months ago to reflect your experience. The south coast of England is a great part of the world to explore. And the presence of the Army has ensured that landscape has been preserved intact there are no ugly caravan sites here!! ', 'Do the trains and buses have Wifi?' This rugged headland juts into the sea between Bournemouth and Mudeford, a village in Christchurch. We have put together six Jurassic Coast walks that capture the best of the area. It is also now a family complex with a small kids funfair coffee bar and even a gin bar. Its named for the effect caused at certain stages of the tide, when the bobbing waves seem to dance over the ledge. 15 Short Dorset Coast Walks Under 4 Miles. We are planning our second visit to Bridport. Get ahead of the pack when you sign up for the DwD newsletter. Dorset is full of amusingly named places, and Scratch Arse Ware has to be one of the best! Bowleaze Cove Holiday Park & Spa offers luxury caravans, holiday homes and Spa facilities surrounded by the stunning coastal scenery of Bowleaze Cove and Weymouth Bay. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. The Riviera Hotel, a Grade II listed Spanish-style 1930s building is on the cove. Its a low cliff, so the climb is easy, and the top of the headland is covered with long grass, gorse bushes, and hummocks ofheather. Hi, methinks you should change your description of the west bay to hive beach circular, we went last week as you describe it as relatively little ascent and descent, and we are both suffering from arthritis and wanted a relaxing easy walk, total lies Im afraid the route back along the cliff tops consists of 3 very steep downs and two similarly steep ups which were extremely hard for us to manage, beautiful walk but massively more physically demanding g than you say and not suitable for those with physical problems, ld suggest you amend asap. ', 'Should I book online before I travel? Find the travel option that best suits you. . Save this link to stay updated on COVID-19 restrictions, Nationwide control measures in placeObserve COVID-19 safety rules, If you need help, visit the national COVID-19 website or call the COVID-19 Helpline 111. Head uphill to reach the stile at the top. Looking for some fab new Dorset coast walks? Bowleaze Cove, Bowleaze Coveway, Weymouth DT3 6PL, United Kingdom. Great heights and depths, an escape to the Lake District will inspire you everyday when you park or pitch up at Lakeland's touring and camping park. READ MORE: 5 Waterfalls to Visit in Dorset, To head back, you can simply return along the cliff path the way you came, following the signs to Bowleaze Cove and Weymouth. I cant THANK YOU enough for your amazing site. At low tide further patches of sand and a number of rockpools become visible. The island is well known as one of the only places in England to see red squirrels, which are no longer found on the mainland. Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. Finally, return to the Scott Arms to relax in the beer garden with a local Dorset beer and some pub-grub! 2023 Waterside Holiday Group ( Waterside Holiday Group is a trading name of Waterside Holiday Parks Ltd and its subsidiaries and Osmington Holiday Park Ltd. ), Classic, New Classic & Classic Accessible. Just a short stroll from the beach and the Jurassic Coast's famous walking paths . Make yourself known to an official member of staff and/or call the national coronavirus helpline number on 111. This Dorset coastal walk takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes (one way) and return is via the same route. This walk is particularly lovely in summer, because the chalk grasslands atop Handfast Point are covered with colourful wildflowers, orchids, and butterflies. If you want to extend the walk, the link above is for a full 5.2-mile circular trail which also explores further down the coast. Head down the steps towards the first houses of Osmington Mills ahead of you. Bowleaze Cove is a small sand and shingle beach, near the village of Preston, just to the northeast of Weymouth, Dorset, England.The cove is on the Jurassic Coast and is known for its geology. We make riding to Bowleaze Cove, Weymouth easy, which is why over 1.5 million users, including users in Weymouth And Portland, trust Moovit as the best app for public . Required fields are marked *. *Due to inland diversions, this walk is actually closer to 5 miles now, but its still a pretty nice short circular so Im keeping it here. This clifftop circuit from Studland Village along the Old Harry coastline is a great way to take in the splendour of the natural scenery in the area. And The Scott Arms in Kingston has arguably one of the best beer garden views in the whole county, overlooking the stunning Purbeck countryside, so its the perfect place to unwind with a well-earned beer. This short circular walk will take you to one of the most impressive sites on the Dorset coast. Advertisement. What are the travel restrictions in Weymouth (Station)? 04 - BOWLEAZE COVE TO SMUGGLERS INN. Sea cliffs disappear off in each direction backed by a patchwork quilt of green fields. Booking your trip via the links on this page (or on our book page) will earn us a small commission, at no extra cost to you. After spending some time exploring Kimmeridge Bay hunting for fossils and inspecting the various rockpools follow the South West Coast Path over the cliffs to Clavell Tower. Bowleaze Cove Surf Forecast Tue 28 Feb - Mon 6 Mar . Local brewery Hall and Woodhouse own the property, so you can expect great pub food and some local Badger Beers at the end of your walk to Osmington Mills from Weymouth. Beaches; Location. Chat has been disabled for this video as we are not able to moderate the comments 24/7. On clear days, you can see The Needles in the distance, which are all that remain of the other end of this band. At low tide further patches of sand and a number of rockpools become visible. Turn left when you reach the A353 and you will see the bus stop. Showing options 1-6 of 41 possible dates for a 7 . Especially if any info needs updating. The town is the third largest settlement in Dorset after Bournemouth and Poole. Ad. View our range of products and services to help you make the most of your time outside. Bowleaze Cove Beach 3 min walk; Bournemouth (BOH-Bournemouth Intl.) SEA LIFE Centre Weymouth - 7 min drive. The cove is on the Jurassic Coast and is known for its geology. The path up Golden Cap begins at the car park by the sea in Seatown. The bus from Overcombe Corner to Lennox Street takes 6 min including transfers and departs every 30 minutes. Secret beaches appear tucked into coves and the waves of vertical cliffs extend into the distance. Rome2rio also offers online bookings for selected operators, making reservations easy and straightforward. Are there any other short coastal walks in Dorset you think people should know about? As you climb the gentle hill over Red Cliff, youll have amazing views of Bowleze Cove and Weymouth behind you and across the bay towards the Isle of Portland on your right. First in Wessex Dorset & South Somerset operates a bus from Overcombe Corner to Lennox Street every 30 minutes, and the journey takes 6 min. This popular cliff top grassed open space is a quiet and peaceful spot that offers spectacular views across the whole of Weymouth Bay and Portland. You have given us loads of ideas. Cleanliness 4.5. Oh thats awesome to hear! Pauls Walking Tour - Sundays at 10:00am - or Group book on 07851934735. Just wondering where the first picture was taken the one behind the heading with the white cliffs and bay. When you reach Hive Beach theres an excellent restaurant, the Hive Beach Cafe. Park in the village of Kimmeridge and walk down to the bay following a small river through picturesque countryside. This walk is 2.5 miles each way, but you can also take a bus back from Osmington Mills to Weymouth if you prefer a shorter walk. There are 885+ hotels available in Weymouth (Station). The entrance is just next to the car park ahead. Whether you're looking for sandy beaches, warm hot tubs or a place to wear the kids out, we've got you covered. At the top of these, it will turn left and lead to a 3-way crossroad with a wooden signpost (photo below). You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. One of the manyfun facts about Great Britainis that we drink around 60 billion cups of tea a year. I loved being able to see the sea from the bedroom window. Weymouth is a seaside town in Dorset, England, situated on a sheltered bay at the mouth of the River Wey on the English Channel coast. Service 4.4. It does get busy in the season. Preston Beach (Weymouth) This is a shingle beach which stretches from Greenhill to Bowleaze Cove, a short distance from Weymouth. Give us a call and we'll answer any questions you have quickly and easily. Skarpa att komma in i vattnet r ganska normalt. This lovely walk rises over cliffs and down to beaches as it undulates through a very fine section of the Jurassic Coastal path between Bowleaze Cove and Osmington Mills. The route is well signposted and fairly obvious. Scroll down to leave a comment! Youll cross the golf course above Timber Hill and the woodland on Fern Hill,before descending into Charmouth. On the other hand, many of them can be extended into even longer walks if you fancy it! . A small pier divides the beach near the River Jordan outflow. Today, you can explore the ruins of stone cottages, as well as some restored buildings which act almost as a living museum. The fort is located next to Nothe Gardens. At the bottom, turn right to follow the path down between the houses to reach Mills Road. Bowleaze Cove, Weymouth, United Kingdom, DT3 6PR, England. View More Images. Start at Lulworth Cove and explore the folded limestone rocks of Stair Hole. Unfortunately, Old Harrys Wife crumbled into the sea at the end of the 19th century. Choose how many nights you would like to stay. Back along the Beach: At low tide, you can also walk along the beach as far as Eweleaze it can be hard work, with some rocky scrambles in places, but makes for a pleasant circular. Two other operators also service this route. Seaview Holiday Park Features & Facilities. You can find more detailed informationhere. This view is of Bowleaze Cove in Dorset looking west from Osmington. That image was taken at Durdle Door from the top of the stairs before you head down to the beach. Hi Jenny Thanks for your comments, glad you found it useful. At the split, take the grassy middle path to cut diagonally across the first field. Earn +10 Treat points. Bowleaze Cove ligger p den 14:a platsen av 30 strnder i regionen Dorset, Stranden ligger i stadsomrdet. We went in May 2019. Leave the carpark and turn right to follow the road past Waterside Holiday Park and uphill until the end of the road.