We thoroughly enjoyed our Viking river cruise. Radgrid - A Valkyrie. Many people were. As you probably know, the package includes unlimited beverages when the bars are open. Each stateroom will have one or two 115V razor plugs available, generally in the bathroom. By Jjg34219, July 3, . The tips cover all onboard staff. Review of Viking Orion cruise ship cabins and suites, floor plans, photos, room sizes, types, categories, amenities. The Silver Spirits option is offered at a fixed price per guest and spans the entire length of the trip. I dont want to waste any precious time in Amsterdam because this may be the last time we see it. That's where you'll need to use your hairstyling tools. Good luck with your planning, and have a great cruise! This was true in Passau, a city of over 50,000, and especially in heavyweights like Vienna and Budapest. Its been a seamless process for us, and it functions well although we do incur additional international charges. 10.2 Schuko Travel Adapter, 17.99 Amazon. There are times when river cruise ships have to have guests disembark a ship and then board a sister ship. As for keeping the itinerary full, its hard not to when you have so many great places to explore, but I agree that scheduling downtime is important, too. My husband prefers to jog each morning, and he was able to when we were docked in the early morning before excursions began. The Norwegian Bliss, Breakaway, Encore, Epic, Escape, Getaway, Joy and Spirit have additional US sockets available. Question about electrical outlets in bathrooms . We would either meet in Bamburg or Wurzburg. free wi-fi (though connection speeds vary depending upon location). Irene, No pets or other animals are allowed on board the ship, other than service animals and certified therapy dogs as Viking may choose to permit at its sole discretion. For additional information, see the Viking FAQs. As we arrived at the ship, we were warmly greeted, and we went to our rooms (which were intentionally left unlocked). Congrats on your 50th! Plus, Viking offers several excursions each day that the ship is in port. Some folks elect to get the Silver Spirits package because they enjoy trying new cocktails and/or premium wines while on vacation. These are typically large-group bus or walking tours of a city that provide a nice overview of a place. We will have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, noise cancelling earbuds, camera, and the audio headphones that need to be charged at various times as well as a curling iron to plug in. (This is handy because you might encounter tour groups from other Viking ships that are docked in the same city at the same time.) Bon voyage! Included is a packet of information specific to your ship (including phone numbers on the ship plus embarkation location information) and an itinerary. It is a quick way to catch up on national and international news as well as to get financial market and sports updates. Some people book two cruises back-to-back to extend their vacation. (Viking offers complimentary house wine and beer at lunch and dinner.) Trying to navigate changing pandemic restrictions is a challenge Id rather not have to deal with, but well give it a try. Essentially, each ship then turned around and went back to the city from which it originated. Uniworld Boutique River Cruises: 220V power is most common; some ships also have 110V outlets. Lots of controversy on curling irons & flatirons. your journey, you'll want the . You make an excellent point, Julia. It sounds like you are all set. A black colored polo shirt (my husband likes the Ralph Lauren slimshirt) is always a great look for men. After clearing customs and immigration and getting our luggage, how do we find Viking to take us to our hotel or how does Viking find us? If you have dietary restrictions, let Viking know when you book. Your room key is your ID. Enjoy your cruise this fall! The sizes of the ships are designed specifically for the rivers they ply (e.g., they need to navigate the sometimes narrow waterways and any locks along the way). Thanks again! Cruising is a social experience as you chat with fellow passengers on excursions, at the social hour before dinner in the Lounge, and at meals. Viking Ocean Cruises provides lovely Freyja shampoo and conditioner (designed exclusively for Viking) in nice, easy-to-handle sizes (rather than mini-bottles). My question is about size of our luggage (or size limitation due room size). You never know what youll learn or who youll meet! This publication outlines the schedule for the next day, with all included and optional excursions as well as suggestions on where to visit and eat during your free time the next day. Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable but nice slacks and a blouse will be absolutely fine. The crew communicates with each other quite well. As for money, we used a credit card (with no foreign transaction fees) and Euros (very handy for tipping tour guides and purchasing small incidentals). Lolly, We are going to cruise Viking July on European sojourn with pre post extensions Bucharest and Amsterdam. Thanks for your kind words, Triana. Some procedures and protocols on cruise ships have changed to address public health concerns since the global COVID-19 pandemic. Cruise Hacks: Eight Tips to Help You Pack for a River Cruise, Viking Ocean Cruises Frequently Asked Questions, 6 Tips for Planning the Perfect Overnight Staycation, https://www.moretimetotravel.com/cruise-hacks-8-tips-to-help-you-pack-for-a-river-cruise/, https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-sky.htmlsin, https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star.html, White Elephant: A Harbor Front Luxury Hotel in Nantucket, Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita: A Tranquil All-Inclusive Resort in Maya Riviera. The hairdryer is not in the bathroom, but in the bedroom, in a drawer under the counter where the outlets are. River cruises are very popular choices for people who like the idea of traveling to new places in the comfort of a floating hotel. But, what else would we spend money on? Everyone should read this as every question seems to be answered well and clearly! Posted November 9, 2014. Your comments are really appreciated. Would an excursion like that feel to rushed to enjoy, or do you know if Salzberg is a not to be missed kind of place? That worked well as we enjoyed some nice non-touristy lunches and other walks and tours on our own. This is the place to find a variety of coffee and tea plus baked goods to accompany your beverage. means the walking will be on mostly smooth (not cobbled) surfaces, there are few steps, and the tours will be 1.5 hours or less. (When we were in Europe a few years ago, we received texts of some demonstrations in town and were given their locations and advised to stay away. Have a wonderful trip! Posted February 21, 2009. For a complete list of action steps. Also, the onboard staff and the local guides speak English well. Dress during the day is . Instead, the dress code is elegant casual, which can mean anything from a sundress in the Caribbeanto slacks and a blouse for women cruising in colder climates. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that things work out for your planned day trips! I know other travelers who just get cash out of ATMs while traveling (and Ive done that, too, of course), but I just like beginning the trip with some local cash. Required fields are marked *. Did you see anyone carry on and off luggage? Viking River Cruises: Onboard electricity is 220V; for more detailed information on plugs and adapters click here. You answered my questions about docking locations (though understand they are subject to change) and the Hungarian currency. If you think you might do that, you may want to take along a few blank thank you cards to enclose your extra tips, so you can explain why you valued their service so much. River traffic varies and the time to pass through the locks can change based on the number of ships, weather, etc. Best, Irene. That saved precious counter space. There is no fitness center or spa on Viking river cruise ships; the space that could be a fitness center is instead put to use in the common areas and staterooms. I cant find any info on Fteyja that gives me that info. In fact, there are few hard-fast rules for evening dress except to limit shorts and workout attire to daytime use only. Priority spa treatment bookings 70 days prior to departure. The Quietvox listening devices charger is plugged into a 220 outlet on the counter across from the bed. On the ship, you only need the ID, which you can tuck into a pocket. Once youre on the ship, youll learn the times that the ship will be docked in a city, so you can plan your day. Its a great one! My husband had been to a number of these cities on business and wanted me to visit them too, and this makes it sound easy. Another great feature of a Viking River cruise is the ship's electrical outlets. I have to say though that almost nobody dressed up for dinnerI saw one or two men in sport coats. You mentioned laundry, and although theres no laundromat on Vikings European river cruise ships, there is a laundry service that you can use. The Viking Bar on Deck 1 has sweets and savories available through midnight. Did you use local guides? I liked the posted copy of the daily news and we had already decided from our ocean experiences to take the drinks package. Viking has perfected hospitality on many levels. Is that possible? . The one exception was the program director, who made the move with us. Your descriptions of the change of ship due to the broken lock and of docking side by side with other ships were reassuring. That gives my husband and me plenty of money for tipping the local guides and bus drivers as well as Viking staff before we leave. No kids. This will be first river cruise for us. expansive 445 square foot living space (separate living room and bedroom) with wraparound balcony at the stern of the ship plus a French balcony in the bedroom. . River cruises are designed for the mature traveler as Viking guests must be 18 years old. Keep in mind, though, that things are not 100% the same from cruise to cruise due, in part, to other ship traffic at the time. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your Viking cruise next year! King-size Viking Explorer Bed (optional twin-bed configuration) with luxury linens & pillows. (You never know where you might find a special type of chocolate:-). Sometimes the river water levels may be too low in spots (due to the lack of sufficient rain during summer), What it meant for guests was a minor inconvenience. Any comments on safety in cities? Freyja Toiletries on Viking Ocean Cruises (Credit: Jerome Levine). Up to you. All Viking river cruise ship staterooms have: The different types of staterooms range in size, available outdoor space, the time for guaranteed stateroom access, and amenities. universal travel adapter. The hotel manager was great and the program director was a literal Energizer Bunny. Once onboard, verify the time youll be in port and then fine-tune your tour or dinner plans. Furthermore, this means that you may have to walk through another ship to get to shore or people are walking through your ship to get to and from theirs. Staterooms also include shampoo and conditioner. Also, Viking offers options to add a few days in the first or last destination before and after a cruise. I am also taking that cruise. CC Help Jenn the classics included Caesar salad as a starter; steak, salmon, and chicken as entrees, and Creme Brle, a selection of cheeses, a fruit plate, and ice cream for dessert. What a great experience she has ahead of her! When we travel to Europe, we notify our carrier before departure. After that point, guests still on board could use the common areas (Lounge or sun deck) until their transfer to the airport or other destination. My hair is very unruly and I am mortified at the thought of no heat styling tools! Aurum Cables 10-Feet 3 Outlet Extension Cord - two pack. When you return to your room, you will notice the dinner menus for that evening. They will let you know on board. . Without a doubt, we give Viking chefs top marks for the presentation and flavor of the food they serve. Id suggest you ask about picking up excursion cards and other details like that once youre on the ship, as some procedures like this may vary a bit. In addition, theres a walking trail, a shuffleboard, and a putting green. I learned that I probably should have packed a small collapsable umbrella to stuff in my backpack; that way, I wont be carrying the big Viking umbrella around after the rain has stopped while were still sightseeing. Other European ships have 220V electricity, and have the German Schuko safety plug, which has two pins. Enjoy your cruise! Have a wonderful cruise next year! I know the hair dryer is in the bathroom, so that is not an issue. bring a trailer american cars; stone and log cabin homes . There are also USB ports to charge your cellphone or tablet so all you need to bring are the cables. The down comforter is lovely but too heavy. Is there a "dress code" on the ship? Not everyone needs to go on excursions. ? These devices are attached to lanyards with earpieces. That way, if they reach a low point in the river, they can have passengers disembark, go on bussed excursions, and afterwards be taken to the sister ship that completes the journey. I found this online on the VIking Cruises Q&A site (I couldnt find a similar statement specific to ocean cruises): What Is The Electrical Voltage In The Stateroom? Heres our story. Viking has guest departures timed to match their future travel plans. You can store your luggage under the bed(s). Some people do prefer lanyards but its not necessary. Thank you for these suggestions and actual experiences! We chose a French Balcony room. Hi Theo, you shouldnt have any problems meeting up with your friends in either Bamburg or Wurzburg while on the cruise. Ever consider a Viking European river cruise? It easily holds passports and other travel documents along with jewelry and money. (Youll also receive Viking tags for your luggage.) :confused: The DH may have to weigh in. 9 Plug Adapters for P&O Cruise Ships. I bet youre planning your next cruise already. Is there a retractable clothes line in the shower to accommodate hanging clothes. Otherwise, we had a brand new crew. Viking has perfected hospitality on many levels. Sometimes theres a lot of river cruise ship traffic in popular cities. On each of the two ships we were on, there was a duo in the evening that included a vocalist and a pianist. (OK, the wifi in the rooms REALLY sucksbut if thats your #1 problem, you arent doing badly). Viking collected the luggage (with different colored tags for the three different floors of the ship) and trucked it to where the Modi, our new ship, was docked. Hi, Considering the Silver Spirits package. What are your thoughts on the Silver Spirits package? We learned this the hard way one day, and we realized that we actually prefer exploring the little towns that we dock at more. Also can you remember if those two cities is where the boat docked. And the small umbrellas! We are in a veranda A stateroom and doing business class flights as a bucket wish. Depending on your stateroom, you will probably have a desk or dressing table with a 100v outlet where you can fix your hair. How early are they available to avoid the rush? 8 Ventura plug sockets. Hope that helps! Indeed, very VERY helpfulespecially for first time river cruisers. We also got a power strip with USB ports for all our stuff. That is, you sleep and eat on the ship and are transported to your destinations along a river. We are going on the Grand European tour in October 2022. For a walking tour (directly from the ship), some passengers go on the tour to learn about the destination and then spend the rest of the day shopping, enjoying a meal, or just wandering around. Enjoy! This is Vikings way of accounting for guests. Do we just work with Viking program director on the day of or the day before? This practice continues through all the classes of staterooms with the standard staterooms getting the last optional booking options. To ensure you remember all the great experiences on your cruise, take lots of pictures and create a photo book of your journey when you return home. queen-size beds that can be split to make two twin beds. You might also bring an adapter so you can plug this into Euro outlets. Also located off the main corridor are a couple of, Naturally, safety is a primary concern of travelers and the crew. Lots of good options, just not sure how fast everything could charge if it needed to be all at the same time! Examples were creamy potato soup, Wiener Schnitzel, and Sacher cake when in Vienna; while in Budapest, the menu featured Hungarian Farmer Salad, Fogas Karpathy (perch and shrimp in white wine sauce), and Zserbo (a layered walnut and chocolate cake). All longships include both 110V and 220V electrical outlets, as well as hair dryers. We received great overviews of a place with the large group tours, but what we remember most were the unique experiences that came from the optional experiences. Having said that, I know that Salzburg is lovely and many people enjoy that excursion. rent to own house in quezon city 5k monthly. That makes it handy for your husband to fetch your morning cup! The guests on the other ship, the Modi, got off the ship at Regensburg, on the other side of the damaged lock. Sometimes the river water levels may be too low in spots (due to the lack of sufficient rain during summer) or there is another issue (like a broken lock) necessitating the change. Serious question..how to get coffee in the morning without getting dressed??? Follow the link below to discover further details about what life is like aboard a Viking Cruises ship. This includes the Viking Daily which provides information for each new day and the evening updates by the program director in the Lounge before dinner. All the best. Very relaxing! Once youve booked a Viking cruise, take the next steps, Once you book a Viking river cruise, take the next steps to ensure an amazing experience, Best Sights to See on Vikings Grand European Tour, Viking Cruises: Best Action Steps After Booking a Cruise, How to Experience Local Culture When You Travel, How to Create Trip Photo Books to Make Your Travels Last a Lifetime. It is required each time you get off and on the ship. I would suggest that you call Viking. Thanks. Mifaso 7-in-1 Desktop Power Strip. The 110V electrical outlets (North American style) are located above the desk and on each side of the bed. Do you travel overnight for most of the time or is there day travel as well? Every ocean (or river ship) weve ever been on has had a hairdryer tucked in a drawer or closet (although you often have to search for them). Started June 21, 2021, By In China the ships have a 3-pin blade safety plug; an adapter with just the two slanted blades will also work. My husband and I had planned to go on the Salzburg excursion, but when we learned we would be spending so much time on the bus to travel there and back (for a total of 9.5 hours), we decided to spend our time in Passau instead. On our cruise, this was done in the Lounge just after the evening port talk by the program director. I suggest that you call Viking Cruises to make surebut if I recollect correctly, although there were ample 100V outlets, you may not be able to use any appliance in the bathroom except for an electric shaver. So if your staying only on board you don't need a plug adapter. Enjoy! Learn how your comment data is processed. Hope this info helps you a bit! I also rarely take precious jewelry on any cruise. Overview. Viking had a sister ship sailing the same journey in the opposite direction from Budapest to Amsterdam so we switched ships. Naturally, safety is a primary concern of travelers and the crew. Thanks. We just got back from the Viking Rhine River Cruise and these tips were very good. Having to dock the ship next to another cruise ship also means that the view from your stateroom could be blocked and your cabin could be a bit dark. (Viking asks that luggage not be placed outside the staterooms when going to bed the previous night due to safety concerns should there be an emergency, having bags in the narrow corridors would pose a safety risk.). Thanks for the great details! Ive left it out on the counter and the stewards never said anything either. 1. For example, the guests in the Explorer Suites can book optional excursions before guests in the Veranda Suites. We were sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest. Stairs connect all the decks plus theres an elevator to service the upper and middle decks. Hi Linda, youre facing a big decision: to go with Silver Spirits or not! Do you have to go on the planned excursion or can you go off and explore on your own? Also, dinner is served on the Aquavit Terrace; service begins 15 minutes after dinner service starts in the restaurant. Good to know, I thought maybe the ship would have a 110 & this would work on its own. The excursions provide guests with an array of experiences including peeks into how locals live, how and where they work, and also some privileged access options just for Viking guests. Hi Deb, youre just a few days away from your journey. reddit i ghosted; african violet planter pot; get paystub from adp; Related articles; hottest cartoon character list female; kohler simplice. I'm sure you won't need to plug everything in at the same time, and I'm also sure that if you leave some of those devices at home you'll have a better time on your cruise. If you are traveling on a Viking Longship, you will find both 110V and 220V electrical outlets in your stateroom. Other times, we were still sailing, so he could not. There are three activity levels for excursions: About 15 minutes before each excursion, there is an announcement to remind guests that it is almost time to leave and to remember the listening devices. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The task of the Norse goddess Hlin is to protect and shelter humankind. You set the code, so its a cinch to remember. People are relaxed aboard Viking river cruises (no dressy occasions), and thats one thing people tend to enjoy about the experience. We cant say enough about how well-run and maintained the ships are. The Pool Grill serves up burgers, hotdogs, and salads throughout the afternoon. I am not thinking we will have any need for a converter, just additional plugs. The rooms do seem smaller than ocean cruiser rooms: did you stay in your cabin a lot? That was just one of the optional tours we enjoyed and still talk about. 10.1 BazTechElectroS European Travel Adapter Plug, 11.99 Amazon. My first question is, without using the laundry service on board , do you have suggestions on washing items in your cabin? Much better idea of what were sailing into now! What is the electrical voltage in the staterooms? Thus, it makes an ideal travel companion. Please note that Viking requires at least 48 hours cancellation notice if you are on the ship and decide not to go on an optional excursion. means the walking could be a little more strenuous or have more stairs or inclines. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Other European ships have 220V electricity, and have the German Schuko safety plug, which has two pins. Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences! There are also 2. Does Viking get us into our room early or do we have to check our luggage with the hotel and wait until 3:00 PM? Really, just looking for your opinion on longer trips off-ship. Use down arrow key to expand the menu and up arrow key to collapse the menu and hit enter to select the link Is room service available or will my husband have the opportunity to fetch my coffee? Do women really wear pants and a blouse for dinner? I hope you have a fabulous anniversary cruise! Hi Robin, you pose a great question, but it isnt easy to answer! If you have taken a Viking river cruise and want to share your experiences, please do so in the comment area below. Plus you can expect some special cooking and craft demonstrations, wine tastings, and presentations about a destinations special features. For a 14-night cruise, the cost is $279.30 USD p.p. Youll find some additional cruising tips in our previous article on MoreTimeToTravel: Viking Luggage Tag (Credit: Jerome Levine), Viking Ocean Cruises Carves Out A Special Niche for Over-50 Travelers, Best Travel Accessories for Men: 28 Great Gifts for Travelers. Thanks Francis M, I am re-thinking the amps on the power strip for that very reason, we will be in an apartment in Amsterdam for a few days precruise, so we definitely will need one. After the excursions, we all met at a restaurant in Nuremberg for lunch, had a little free time, and then were bussed to the new ship in the late afternoon. (The price of the package varies, but it comes to about $20 or so a day per person.) Irene. Youd need to factor in picking up and dropping off the rental cars and then driving to and from your planned destinations. Some companies may take space from common areas to put into spas and fitness centers; others, like Viking, use all that available space for staterooms and common areas.). marked: the bus has a placard with the same number and letter to let you know you need to board that bus; the tour guide has a red and white sign on a paddle to indicate that group, as well. Often, a crew member will place towels on your bed the night before if youve booked an excursion that might call for beach towels. You may have only 1 or 2 outlets. I merely want to share our experience on a river cruise with my readers. I just received my cruise documents and read through them and was quite upset when I read that I could not bring my hair straightener on board. The hairdryer is not in the bathroom, but in the bedroom, in a drawer under the counter where the outlets are. Its not a deal breaker for us, but its something every river cruise guest should be forewarned about. Lolly just finished the Grand European tour a week ago (Budapest-Amsterdam). will visit your room in the morning to clean it. 18 days and counting:). Hlin is deeply compassionate in an unsentimental way, and a wise teacher. They are clearly marked. This is because some guests may have canceled their planned optional excursions prior to the cruise; so its a good practice to check on this and any other concerns once youre on board. Our US-based cell phone service does not work outside of the US. The Viking Grand European Tour from Amsterdam to Budapest was such a great experience one well never forget. . Have a great cruise! However, the information in this article is from our Grand European Tour cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest aboard the Skirnir and Modi (more on the two ships later). When you return to the ship, you scan it again. (Depending on the category of your stateroom, the laundry service may be complimentary.) I am thinking this will work as it swivels to accommodate the location of the plug and has 2 USB ports as well. Im glad you found the article helpful, Tamara. and special treats made nice surprises. Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary) 55" OLED flat-screen TV featuring MSNBC, FOX News, National Geographic and more. Since we booked through our travel agent, Viking sent her the final travel documents, and she checked them before passing them on to us. Most cruise ships will offer . I could have kicked myself for leaving my swimsuit at home when the weather unexpectedly turned warm and sunny! Better be aboard, cuz they wont wait! So an adapter will be needed on the ship? I wonder if you have any thoughts on us meeting up with friends from Stuttgart. Whew! LinkedIn. I was curious about what time you have to be back on the ship at night. On average, how much time did you spend on the boat sailing from each port? We enjoyed sitting with different people; it gave us a chance to learn about their travel experiences and lives a bit. Hope your sister finds her Viking river cruise everything she hopes it to be.