The Shaper Origin has no theoretical limits on work area. The device starts to evolve. Not often needed, but when its essential your only alternative would be a less-accurate manual router. Could the patterns be reporduced? Shaper could be under a lot of financial stress and unable to meet the demand for many refunds. Help me fundraise to buy on of these tools for my students by using my code, and youll save a $100 as well! With a gantry router, you have to move the material to the workbed, and it has to fit. Shaper Origin Handheld CNC Router Packages Shaper Origin Handheld CNC Router Packages All the efficiency and digital precision of a CNC, but in a compact, portable package with no limits on workpiece size! This is one of those moments. It seems ???????????????? The Anycubic Predator Review: Is It A Good Buy in 2022? It will make for some interesting reviews as to see if the pros outweigh the cons. 1/4 . The cutting area varies in size depending on the model you choose. Since it is not just another 3d printer or cnc mill it is good to see how it operates outside of the labs. Shaper Origin is the world's first handheld CNC machine. I think for that kind of investment a medium size CNC would be better value. I do a lot of design in sketchup for trade show booths and convert different components (complex curves for wall panels mainly) to vector files to cut ribs on on our 44 cnc. Opinions do vary luckily The great thing about the Shapeoko is that the cheapest option the Shapeoko 3 is compact, meaning you can fit it into a smaller workshop, and it has a great price point of $1,170. It is at the next point that Hackaday first interacts with Origin at a Makerfaire. To reduce the risk of serious injury and/or damage to your Festool product, always read, understand and follow all warnings and instructions in your Festool product's Instruction Manual. It can skip steps, crash into clamps, get buried in the dust it creates. Engineering is always waiting there in the shadows, ready to solve a problem. Is it? Reaction score. But, you can also do much more since there is no limit to build envelope, and you cut non-sheet materials, like existing desks and already installed panels, etc. One of the main selling points of the Shapeoko is that it comes ready to go out of the box with no need to buy extras to make the machine work more smoothly. save a few hundred bucks? I just bought mine, preorder yours using my referral link below and we both save $100!! A large portion of the algorithms were developed on this iteration. Most of the things I could think of a use for are multiples or intricate things where I wouldn't want to be hunched over a table for an hour. Since it is very unlikely that the tape will ever be in the same configuration twice, Origin can use the configuration of the placed tape as a unique identifier for the material. Cynicism is the prevailing wind blowing through this site and it stinks. From the free web app, Easel, to the huge online Projects area to give their users inspiration, its designed to make it easy to quickly create new products to sell. Its probably better for some uses, and this tool is probably better for some other uses. And whereas im all for reverse-enginering, and reproduce this in an open design (im all for open design, open hardware and open source -its even a purchase factor for me-, so if someone does an open hardware version of this, im all for it), while positioning with computer vision is a solved problem, doing it Assuming I could make room for it, of course. The company mentions their own public repository called shaperhub. Origin cant see enough ShaperTape to guarantee cutting precision. You can buy Shaper Origin and try it out risk-free for 30 days. I see so many uses for this tool I just love creating things with my hands. You have two choices you can choose their Fully Loaded kit, which has everything you need straight out of the box, or you can choose to customize your machine by buying the parts separately. But what happens if someone else starts shipping a superior (or equivalent but less expensive) product eight months from now? A bit of off-the-shelf watercooling meant for CPUs and the machine can run indefinitely. Most gantry routers that are able to cut a full plywood sheet wont cost just 2K. However, some reviewers say the instructions arent completely clear, which is a shame. Shaper Pro Care is designed for any Origin users who want additional support with Origin. Who wouldnt want to steal this? Remember all the hype about the Glowforge 3D Laser Printer, another gimmicky product thats in perpetual preorder status? Creality Ender vs Anet A8 [2022]: Which is Better? Heres my pre-order code if you want to save $100 and help me defray the cost of getting clever ideas into the hands of people who make more clever ideas. ( worst . And i think id rather pay more, but have my money until i can buy it to have it actually shipped quickly to me. Now I have seen this video. Shaper Origin, is it worth it? Also have licenses for V-Carve (Handibot), MeshCAM, Fusion & Carbide Create. And when using Workstation as a fixture, do not apply new ShaperTape because Workstation has a permanent and reusable tape array ready to go. If storage conditions of your materials are somewhat reasonable, I dont see why youd have a problem. I tend to agree with Daniel. When I bought my Shapeoko 3 XXL, I believe the standard size was around $1,300 with a router. TTS Tooltechnics Systems Acquires Shaper Tools, Inc. Put a book or calculator or something on the mousepad so you can return the mouse to the same physical position. So, the Origin is tempting, but its going to have to be a ???????????? If it has to cost that much to be profitable for Origin, then I suspect its doomed. The larger the area, the larger the error. What about metric units? I was leaning Shapeoko but your insight has solidified it for me. That is in contrast to what a traditional CNC machine entails. Youre completely allowed to like a product, be enthusiastic about it. If you're a Festool and Systainer fanatic, this is for you! So its not the question of big of a deal but if a >2000$ tool is built the right way. Or I could interpret it as a legitimately exciting, functional product. And to all the people that are bitching about still having to physically move the tool: REALLY?! Yup! In these days of time is money, when your average carpenter might charge $100/hr, then s/he only needs to save 20 hours to pay outright for the thing! Not a single critic, its all wonderful for 2k$. Here are the best and worst parts of the machine: Hardware-wise, theyre closely comparable both have a great spindle that works well, and both have a generous cutting area (depending on the size of Shapeoko you choose). Thats not a problem with Shaper Origin per se, but more with CNC based routers (note the chess board on their homepage, it doesn't have squares with 90 deg corners). There are undoubtedly many ingredients in the secret sauce that makes up the Origin. when you look at a project and think router and jigs reach for this. Festool and its affiliates cannot be responsible for improper postings or your reliance on the website's material. Compared to say a 3D printer, that looks like a science fair project :-P, @RW, Just finished upgrading my reprap the other day! (well if something works great its not a issue) You give it a few reference points on a surface and it uses that to track. Having used Shapers Origin, theres no tool I want to add to my personal shop more. All in all, for what it can do, i dont think 2K is such a ludicrous price. Home; Professional Development; About Us; Contact us Meaning the bit you have to carry is hand-portable. How Hard Could It Be To Get Millions Of Phone Bills Right? Looks pretty cool but I wonder how good the drive wheels will do on slick surfaces especially without dust collection. there is no super solution, no solution that will satisfy all. While moving along the path, the CNC controlled spindle makes minor movements to correct our imperfect human attempts to keep to the line. It will be my first foray into CNC. I assume that you are aware that when you get that fully functional circuitboard fit perfectly in the 3D printed casing you are about 0.3% on your way there? shaper origin vs shapeoko. Mikiquo has added a new log for SyncCarb. What I see is the Arduino of woodworking. The Z depth was still managed by the user. Ive fantasized about owning a Shopbot for years, but even if I could afford it, the chances that Id have a place big enough for it are even less. I may end up between 1000 and 2000$, and ill have a 600*600mm work area. With the Origin, you can take the machine to the work, even if its on a wall or ceiling. If you do a lot of complex, precision work in the field (thats impractical with a standard router), then the Origin is certainly worth considering if it doesnt turn out to be vaporware (like the GlowForge). The mechanism life expectation IMHO is less than 200 hours, the nuts and the guiding motors wear out from the vibration, so good luck cutting a straight line after 100 (or less) hours usage. Well Ill be more comfortable with the idea when I see it second sourced without ensuing sue-age. I really like the look of the shaper, for how straight forward it seems and for it's lack of footprint in the workshop. Sometimes the design file is saved in an unreadable format for Origin, or it contains problematic file elements. They go into it in some detail on their behind the scenes blog, but another reason for their success is their excellent system for tracking bugs and testing results. It needs to come off of the surface without leaving residue. We dont do sponsored posts. I'd be way more concerned what happens if the company goes belly-up. These are traits that you've come to know Origin for. To me the biggest drawback in a one man shop is that man has to be running Shaper. Reviewers praise the DeWalt router compared to the kind used in previous versions of the X-Carve. Want to increase the capacity? Make sure to keep the white dot representing the bit inside the corrective circle on-screen while cutting and ensure Origin can see sufficient Shaper Tape. RW Id like to point out that the early indexed mouse pads were absolute position, more similar to todays graphics tablets than an optical mouse. This could lead to the hypothesis that either level of skill is low, or intent to generate recurring revenue stream is high. There is a learning curve like any computer driven tool. I personally am salivating at the thought of what is basically an entire workshop in handheld form. I do all my cad work in metric when cutting things with Origin. I actually dont know. In the photo above we can get a really good look at Origins display. But likely faster than multiple machining steps and multiple assembly steps. But Im very sure that version will be much heavier. But i'm really not sure if it does actually live up to it's claims and may be more hassle than it's worth with my money better spent elsewhere. Whether it's launching core accessories like Workstation or Plate, or developing new software like Studio, weve taken feedback along the way from users like you to continue expanding the Shaper System and make Origin the best it can be. Do you see? One of the most complained about issues with the old X-Carve is the lack of dust collection. You could certainly make a drop-down table, as many have done as well. Not a machine frame or anything technically difficult; Alec Rivers, one of the founders of Standard in the MIT inventory are the Roland MODELA MDX-20 Mini-mill and the SHOPBOT https://community.shapertools.com/t/pcb-milling-with-origin/1321. Im looking forward to the drama in 5 years when half the company splits off to make the Original Origin vs Genuine Origin. It will know where it had previously cut out the gear. A 5" color screen on top is used to place designs, follow their path and set parameters. Theyd have to manually plunge the router. its kind of like comparing a track saw to a table saw. Theyre not just giving away the tool in this case. The awesome custom tape Shaper made for us. Thanks for a fun ride! This can be improved using their belt sleeve, but its not completely alleviated, with some users having issues with it. One of the coolest features, mentioned earlier, is that Origin can actually be used to draw the needed paths. I didn't take your comments as negative. Ill admit this is by far the most glowing product endorsement Ive ever seen in a Gerrit article. I ordered one today, use this link to save $100, https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/WDCME5Y0D. The simple answer is, anything you could imagine building with a Shopbot or Shapeoko is fair game. I have had my Shapeoko 4 XL for well over a year now and absolutley love it. Coming in at under $2,000, theyre a good choice for those wanting to dip their toes into CNC machining. Goliath CNC is on the work surface. The tape looks like (and is) aperpetuallyrandomizedpattern of dominos. For an overview of specialty bits we offer, click here. Step it up. Its more likely that thieves will steal all my bikes and leave the tools. So, I should choose the Origin over a gantry router, then spend loads of time & energy working around its limitations? An industrial ink jet head would print a continuous pattern on a carefully reeled spool of tape. The content contained on this site is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute professional advice. You give it a few reference points on a surface and it uses that to track its position on the surface. RW, I challenge you to bring a standard optical mouse from drawing board to box in store. We just got the Origin for my school's FabLab and are pumped to start using it. The augmented portion is a suite of sensors and an onboard computer. Heh, anyone who already has a hernia or back injury for sure. Shaper 1/4" Up-Spiral Router Bit This is a general-purpose CNC router bit for depths up to " (" per pass). The inkjet model only works because the printers were free with every computer sold for many years. it also mentions: [T]he identities of the axe, adz, chisel, and saw were clearly established more than 4,000 years ago. Rather than a physical registration it uses a digital method . Thats my opinion, you may dont like it, so be it. Extreme magnification like a mouse uses only works in mouse-like cases. Unlike most AR devices, it doesnt just augment the data available to you, it actually changes physical things about the world around it. Thanks Leo! Neat idea, however, it would be impacted by any move of the projector relative to the surface, ambiant lights, and the position of the operator while cutting. Its perfectly fine if your mouse accumulates error, because your brain can correct as needed using the information on your monitor *youre* doing the same thing for the mouse as the tape does for the Origin. If you want to talk about all the other stuff, start a new thread. https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/YELGJ4TJK, Really? pro's vs X Carve - looks more sturdy, especially rails, not sure about the gantry and other hardware. Given the very high price of this tool combined with the possibility of an alternative solution, it seems to me that it makes the most sense to wait and see how things turn out before committing to it. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. I could see the company licensing their domino pattern to a drywall manufacturer, and making a smaller version of the router like a RotoZip. It needs templates. But anyway, thats nit picking, If its usable over 4x8 (and it is, right, Jeremy Blum? Considering the amount of heavy processing involved in this kind of machine, its nearly miraculous that they manage to stay under this threshold. Interesting; while I dont use a hand-held router every day, its one of my preferred tools for heaps things when a near-perfect edge is needed. Weve done 48 without any problem. But the tone is so enthusiastic that it really looks like some sort of advertorial (publireportage in french), or sponsored post. This doesnt. Im saddened to see it is still so far away, both in time, as well as only being available in the US. Thing is with this, the gantry is your body, which is something you bring with you everywhere. Insensitive! In addition, new updated and diffuse lighting provides better scanning performance across a range of different lighting conditions. It seems a bit silly to make a list of the differences between them. Just for fun, what would be the theoretical maximum? If youre a beginner, you probably wont need them, but small businesses may need access to these tools. I appreciate you genuinely loved it, and the company are one of us. Still, all of this bodes well for the creation of a whole new category of tools for small shops/mobile work. If you want to review the thing, thats fine, but this isnt a review. The tag on the side of the bit packaging contains the essential data: UC . If youre looking at CNC computer numerical control machine youve probably come across the X-Carve and the Shapeoko kit. But i guess you cant put a price on refusing anything that doesnt suit your needs, consider it useless, and, all in all, rehashing the could be done with a 555, so it sucks. The Shaper Origin is a 2D device which means that it can cut things out and handle some joinery with the right setup. The X-Carve has a working area of 800x800mm. That nearly worked. My father always told me to buy a decent tool, spend a little more money and you can use it the rest of your life. Nr du har gennemfrt et kursus, kan du booke en Shaper + arbejdsstation . The custom tape making rig that served shaper for a long time.