They are sisters in this holy mission of bringing Mary'sbreathtakingly beautiful gospel to the world, today., Regena Thomashauer, New York Timesbest-selling author ofPussy: A Reclamation, Like a feminist Indiana Jones, Meggan Watterson goes on a mystical adventure to uncover the hidden teachings of one of Christs closest companions and disciples, Mary Magdalene, and her discovery could change history. Its a Sacred Union. The book is well written. It is a gifting through the act. Matthew 27:55-56 Mary Magdalene, Mary, mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee. Meggan facilitates the REDLADIESa community of radical love that lets her preach about female saints, mystics, gurus, and poets who inspire and teach us to live in service of love. Be the first to contribute! Beginning around the fifth century, she was depicted as a prostitute, and popular but unproven theories also depict . Mary Magdalene is often considered to have been a prostitute, whose 'seven devils' (of lust) Jesus banished from her, leading her to give up a life of prostitution. So, why four angels, and why seven times a day?, If how we see, truly see, is not with eyesight, but with a vision, a form of spiritual perception that allows us to know whats real, whats lasting, whats actually true, if this comes from within us; then no one has power over us., what Ive come to understand is that its the soul that rises, not me, not my ego, not anything human that I am. I like to say I'm not a Christian, but I'm a big fan of Jesus. (Which can make it hard to hear, and to find.) By Margaret George. Some historians claim that it was not Mary Magdalene that poured out perfume onto Jesus feet, but rather Mary of Bethany. We must have balance. A parallel in more recent history is the Southern churches before the Civil War who were all full of moral fervor for slavery. Not only did He recognize her, but He commanded the demons to leave her. Then does she not believe in the Resurrection? Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene. It has no known author, and although its popularly known as a gospel, its not technically classed as one, as gospels generally recount the events during Jesus life, rather than beginning after his death. Rajneesh. Words are the egos favorite outfits. On June 3, 2016, the Holy See raised the liturgical rank of the Memorial of Saint Mary Magdalene to a Feast, with the date remaining on July 22.A new Preface before the Eucharistic Prayer for the Feast was also promulgated in Latin.. On the other hand, Dan Browns novel The Da Vinci Code resurrected an old and popular theory that Mary Magdalene was in fact Jesus wife. Or Meggan Watterson? 4 Copy quote. Her name is mentioned 12 times in the Gospels, more than most of the apostles. But this book, for all of its potential flaws or self-indulgences, the very subject matter of this book dismantles an orthodoxy for the oppressor and opens up a whole new level of spiritual wonder. MM devotees, unite! Mary Madelines gospels shine a light on the good. Her connection to Jesus was undeniable. I also found a lot of humor around someones story who seems to know themselves well, and lastly, I found a lot of richness in the quality of the overall story. There Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out Luke 8:1-2. Always love was their message, and Jael knew her daughter was telling the truth as she heard it. The Gospel of Mary, believed to have been written in the 3rd century, reveals a Mary Magdalene who had a special relationship with Jesus and possessed a deeper understanding of his teachings.. Are you hearing the voice of love within you, your soul-voice, and believing it enough to act on its directives? I was sent an early edition of this book before its launch. Now off to reread a chapter and readjust my itchy attitude. It frequently brought me to tears, as I was resonating so deeply with the beautiful messages shared within. "Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb." Matthew 27:61 NIV She watched Jesus' burial and knew the exact location where he had been laid to rest. Seven is a mystic number suggesting completeness, implying that when the evil spirits dominated Mary the suffering was extremely severe.(All the Woman of the Bible). Though the tableau echoes a key scene in the 2006 film version of The Da Vinci Code, in which the characters examine Leonardo Da Vincis mural The Last Supper and debate whether the effeminate figure to Jesus right was in fact Mary Magdalene, the new movie doesnt place her there as his wife. Welcome back. Jesus' mother is mentioned, by name, nineteen times. When the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. Not everyone is going to love this book, because not everyone agrees that orthodoxy was made by elite dudes on top of the political and socio-economic food chain. I am not sure why that red book cover jumped out at me, but I dropped the book into my shopping cart without a second thought and made my purchase. What Mary lived daily is the faith we all strive to achieve. Things are very taciturn! Mary Magdalene Revealed - Part 1. The movie, which came out in the U.K. on March 16, tells the story of Mary Magdalene (Rooney Mara), detailing her fraught existence in Magdala as a single woman determined not to marry, before she meets Jesus (Joaquin Phoenix) and follows him to Galilee and then Jerusalem, where hes crucified. With these books, Hearth makes a stunning, original contribution to both scholarship and to ancient historical fiction and romance. 1. About 30% into this book I realized this was not what I expected. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. She can deliver us all into a new stratosphere of love and divinity. She knew she would not have a life if not for Him. I havent been this excited or awakened by a book for a decade. She's been a sinner and a saint, played a starring role in Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" and ended up a feminist . She had sown in tears when she went to seek her Lord, but she wept with joy when she found him in the garden. Does the author think the average person can figure out her theology and "out there" thinking and deciphering of these gospels? Harvard-trained theologian Meggan Watterson leads us verse by verse through Mary's gospel to illuminate the powerful teachings it contains. This is what it looks like when an artist follows her heart and her passion instead of the crowd." Something was missing. For a picture of what it must have been like for Mary to suffer through this in the first century, imagine the shame of being linked to physical or psychological illness as a cause of the demon possession. Learn all about Mary Magdalene, her feminist gospel & the Christianity we haven't tried yet in this interview between author & theologian Meggan Watterson an. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herods household; Susanna; and many others. Mary Magdalenes special understanding of Jesus message, and Peters hostility towards her, as portrayed in Mary Magdalene, will likely split opinion, according to Taylor and her colleague, Professor Helen Bond of The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, with whom Taylor is presenting a U.K. television series on women disciples this Easter, titled Jesus Female Disciples: the New Evidence. And the twelve were with him, and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager . There are still more stories and legends, including one legend that tells a story of her and other disciples being stranded on a rudderless boat in the middle of the sea and miraculously coming ashore. These are the words we can't get back. This is what it looks like when an artist follows her heart and her passion instead of the crowd., Glennon Doyle, #1 New York Times best-selling author of Love Warrior, The evidence within these pages, both scholarly and lived experience, will change you on a cellular level as you remember what has been forgotten for thousands of years, but has never been untrue: that the feminine is sacred and holy. Meggan Watterson' s "Mary Magdalene Revealed ", is an initiate, loving and lyrical exploration of the feminine side of spirituality - a spiritual tradition that doesn't oppose the masculine spiritual traditions, but instead, completes them. The Gospel of Mary (or the Gospel of Mary Magdalene) is a writing discovered in 1896 in Egypt containing a Gnostic version of New Testament events alleged to have taken place, particularly in association with Mary Magdalene. If you are interested in feminist religious philosophy and Christianity, this book might be for you. Something about Mary., Leonardo da Vinci started painting his famous Last Supper mural in Milan in 1495, Universal Pictures/Moviestore/REX/ShutterstockUniversal Pictures/Moviestore/REX/Shutterstock, The Secret History of the Shadow Campaign That Saved the 2020 Election. In the end, disappointing. Follow it! Her powerful witness of Jesus Christ was undoubtedly put in place to strengthen the faith of others. She may even be considered the first apostle . In the story of the. The tradition's appropriation of Mary Magdalene is much more intricate and complexas the saint herself is complex. Im so grateful. Mary Magdalene has been represented in many different ways throughout history, especially during the Baroque and Renaissance periods. She is also believed to have been the first witness to the resurrection of Jesus. We've found 1 author and 4 quotes for the term mary magdalene: Sort by: Popularity A - Z Relevancy Exact Match:Yes No Include quotes from the news:Yes No. Update this biography . Magazines, Or create a free account to access more articles, The Real Reason Why Mary Magdalene Is Such a Controversial Figure. Anybody think Jesus was for slavery? "After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. This is what the practice of loving ourselves looks like: we do whatever we have to do to hear our souls voice and believe it. Watterson's more like a girlfriend enthusing over coffee. It is a deep, spiritual connection with the partner and its also a pledge to the Beings that we consciously call down when we conceive., We teach her about developing a relationship with her own Divine Being. The fact that Mary Magdalene draws from a "gospel" that isn't. It ended up being more of a self-help book for feminist Christians. The Gospel of Mary Magdalene reveals a very different love story from the one we've come to refer to as Christianity. Release Calendar Top 250 Movies Most Popular Movies Browse Movies by Genre Top Box Office Showtimes & Tickets Movie News India Movie Spotlight. a question, please sign up. Mary Magdalene Revealed The First Apostle, Her Feminist Gospel & the Christianity We Haven't Tried Yet By: Meggan Watterson Narrated by: Meggan Watterson Length: 8 hrs and 21 mins 4.7 (835 ratings) Try for $0.00 1 title per month from Audible's entire catalog of best sellers, and new releases.