We bought the butter rolls, coconut half moon, long John, taro donuts on a stick and of course the Hot Bread. in 70 reviews, Now with Kalaupapa being closed to outside visitors, bread run is about the only "attraction" on Molokai. in 64 reviews, We had 'Da works', which is a combination of several toppings, as well as cinnamon, creme cheese, and butter in 38 reviews. For more information, check the internet "world wide tour" or Hokulea" or "polynesian voyaging society". Wow! From Biryani, Tandoori Chicken, Croissants, Puffs, Cookies etc. Every night from around 10pm onwards a steady stream of residents and curious visitors make their way along a dusty alleyway behind the Kanemitsu Bakery. The hash browns appeared to be a pre-formed and previously frozen patty. My husband ordered a Diet Coke. Kanemitsu Bakery is found on the main drag in Kaunakakai. The People Who Clean company of Maui generously donated loaves of bread to healthcare workers on Maui! Molokai Enriched Bread (plain, no filling) The open-air restaurant with views of the ocean features the fresh catch of local fishermen and seafood delicacies from around the Pacific. THE GOODS: Kanemitsu Bakery. 393 Reviews. Molokai Hot Bread Maui Kanemitsu Bakery's original recipe since 1935 Not sold in stores! 12 to 18 hours. No matter what time of day (except Tuesdays), you can get fresh bread at this 80-year-old bakery. Required fields are marked *. Your email address will not be published. Open only at night from 7-9pm when very dark and secluded (if it feels like you're in the wrong place, you are in the right place, just keep going! Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop is open Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun. 79 Ala Malama Ave Kaunakakai HI 96748. Kanemitsu Bakery. They will not be offering the meals this year, but Poepoe said she anticipates a busy week nonetheless. According to the News, on June 15 the DOH received an . While on Molokai, don't miss getting the hot bread. It was originally located in Manila Camp, a half-mile to the west, but relocated to its present location in Kaunakakai town in 1945. the fines were dismissed by . Not too spicy. There were quite a few flies in the place, but fans strategically placed throughout the dining area kept the insects at bay. nternet . Once thats juicy and ready to eat, they put it on one of their robust fresh-baked buns and pile on all the fixings. OVERALL: The HOkulea is now sailing down the eastern U.S. coastline and offers canoe tours at its various ports of call - media and newspapers carry information on these tours shortly before the scanoe is scheduled to dock. . [7] A New York Times story on the island noted, "With a stop at the deceptively derelict-looking Kanemitsu Bakery (whose papaya bread and sweet bread made fabulous toast), we always had the makings of a feast. the right. Closed Five Months The bakerys ovens have been cold since June, when an anonymous complaint was filed with the DOH alleging insects and other foreign substances were found in the baked goods, according to the DOH. The bakerys permit was reinstated today after the facility passed a Department of Health (DOH) inspection this morning. Can a vegetarian person get a good meal at this restaurant? After we ate, we visited the bakery counter and got a couple of sweet treats to take with us for later in the day.More, My husband and I stopped here on our way to the airport. Nous y sommes. Im assuming people will bombard us for breads and pies, she said, calling Thanksgiving our busiest week of the year.. You can also add mango chunks for an extra charge. We rank these hotels, restaurants, and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location. EIT Elsewhere | Sharing the World's Weirdest Plants on Fodor's Travel, EIT Elsewhere | "Time Out: San Jos" in Delta Sky Magazine, How to Decide When to Buy Travel Insurance, Favorite Finds from the Winter Fancy Food Show 2017, EIT Elsewhere | How to Experience Japan in San Francisco. Photo by Catherine Cluett. 105 talking about this. We mixed mango and guava jams. hot bread - kanemitsu bakery kaunakakai , hot bread - kanemitsu bakery kaunakakai photos , hot bread - kanemitsu bakery kaunakakai location , hot bread - kanemitsu bakery kaunakakai address , hot bread kanemitsu bakery kaunakakai . 2,567 followers. Latest reviews, photos and ratings for Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop at 79 Ala Malama Ave in Kaunakakai - view the menu, hours, phone number, address and map. The regulars on Molokai and the customers who flock to the bakerys booth at the Made in Maui County Festival every year could probably answer that question its all about the bread, the soft, white, round loaf baked with the same recipe Kanemitsus father concocted back in the 1950s. I ate there 3 times during my visit to Molokai & left there very satisfied each time. The family added the restaurant side in the late 1950s. It was lunch and for the price, considering I was in Hawaii, that is a deal. By far the oldest bakery on the semifinalist list, Kanemitsus began around 1935 in a small shack in Manila Camp, Kanemitsu said. the fines were . What days are Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop open? That would be the bread run, nightly except Mondays, at 10:30p.m. at Kanemitsu's Bakery in Kaunakakai, which has been in the same family for nine decades. Kanemitsu Bakery Serving Molokai Hot Bread, Baked Goods, and So Much More. My husband ordered a Diet Coke. Ifyou're able, try to get to the alley at night. In June 2012, the department suspended the bakerys permit after another inspection found serious deficiencies. After improvements and more inspections, the department reinstated the bakerys permit in November 2012. Moved the bakery to Kaunakakai town in 1945. Share. 7:30- 11pm Friday-Saturday Today we are having Kanemitsu Bakery's Da Works Molokai Hot Bread with Strawberry, Blueberry, Cinnamon, Butter, and Cream Cheese fillings! If theyre out of any flavors, theyll put a sign in the window.-They are a cash-only establishment, so hit up the ATM before you arrive. Around 1945, the family moved the bakery to Kaunakakai town, in the same location the bakery occupies today between Molokai Wines & Spirits and Imamuras. It's me Eli, Uncle Loti's nephew. Sweet bread is great, but I spent many years in San Francisco, Ca., and got a taste for crusty bread. So I passed. SO ONO!!! Sign up to get more inspiration delivered right to your inbox, once a week. You have to go to the bakery and try the pastries and bread. Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. The same huge, pillowy loaf filled with your favorite fillings are now here to stay. Every shop on the street was closed, we were all alone and, hell 8pm feelslate after getting up to start the day before sunrise. Instead, its left to cool, and then split open down the middle. Dont get me wrong as a few have floored me, like that good sourdough which held up my eggs benedict at Kitchen Story (restaurant) in San Francisco. Across the waters from Molokai on the island of Maui, where I was raised, little is known or maybe few are telling the secrets about mysterious Molokai. Paddlers Restaurant and Bar re-opened under new ownership in the Fall of 2016. Im not a bread person or fanatic per se, as its just something that holds other foods together or served as a filler before your entre. Dont get me wrong as a few have floored me, like that good sourdough which held up my eggs benedict at Kitchen Story (restaurant) in San Francisco. The waitress told him that he would need to get it from the vending machine, and advised him that he'd need to hit the "Sprite" button in order to get Diet Coke. 79 Ala Malama Ave Kaunakakai, HI 96748 (808) 553-5855 Official website. His parents, aunty, uncle and brother have died. Service is a little slow but then again,, you are in Molokai where the pace of life isslowed down. Restaurant is open til 1 pm each day except Tuesday. Kanemitsu Bakery. CheeseburgerOnly during the lunch hour at Kanemitsu Bakery, you can get a cheeseburger to remember along with your side of choice. Perennial award winner Mamas Fish House, meanwhile, is no stranger to recognition, though its the first time the restaurant has been named a James Beard semifinalist. Tucked between the hip, rustic bakeries and artisan breads on the 2018 James Beard semifinalist list is one unassuming bakery in Kaunakakai town thats been churning out baked goods for 80 years. Many patrons swear by heating it back up before devouring the loaf, but its plenty good cold, too. I had the kim chee fried rice. (e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A(r)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://www.everintransit.com/kanemitsu-bakery-molokai-hot-bread/','8Xxa2XQLv9',true,false,'6AjonwgSSc8'); they will give you some. 73 photos. Shame on me. CONTACT. !b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),d=1;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if(c){d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(r){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"? This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. I especially liked their taro donuts.More, This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Check with the staff to find out the time they will be doing the bread in the alley, each night is different.More, The restaurant was understaffed on the day of our visit -- one waitress and one cook. The experience was fun because the person I was with kept saying "let's just turn around, it's not open" but I went a little bit further and there it was. Over 80 years in business, one of the few things thats changed about Kanemitsus is the ovens, which are conventional no longer the brick ovens of his dads days. If youre just getting a meal during regular hours, you can also get a nice sandwich or burger from their adjacent deli test. If all you want is hot bread, it is served every evening except Monday from 7:30 to 11 p.m., though the hours fluctuate. The bread at this 80-year-old establishment is . She said they will immediately bring eight of them back to work in the bakery. I had the kim chee fried rice. By night, the famous "Hot Bread Lane" is a Molokai institutionsniff your way down the alley behind the store around 7:30 pm to find the hidden bakery window and grab a loaf of tomorrow's bread . Closed now : See all hours. Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA)/Dana Edmunds, Click here for baggage fees and restrictions. Beverly Beyette, "It is also in Kaunakakai that the island's most popular nocturnal activity can be found. Well-known only as Hot Bread, this simple treat is fluffy, flavorful, and tantalizingly delicious. Foursquare 2023 Lovingly made in NYC, CHI, SEA & LA, Kauai, Maui, Molokai, Lanai with JetSetCD, Created by Cynthia Drescher106 items 1 follower. 79 Ala Malama Street, Kaunakakai, Molokai, HI. Today's breaking news and more in your inbox. Kanemitsus Bakery and Coffee Shop is one of 20 bakeries named semifinalists in the Outstanding Baker category of the prestigious James Beard Awards, which celebrate the best of American food culture every year. The hot bread used to come out at 10:30 or 11 p.m., but the bakery now brings the bread out at 7:30 p.m. to make it easier for customers. So when its time for me to step back, when the time comes, I will do that., improper cleaning of cooking implements, inadequate control of rodents, lack of hot water and general unsanitary conditions., The bread is good, but not as good as what my dad them used to make,, I just want to thank the people in Hawaii for always supporting me,, Just to be a semifinalist, it was a big honor. It was lunch and for the price, considering I was in Hawaii, that is a deal. I saw the tray of brownies. Kanemitsu Bakery: Fresh Hot Breads and Sweet Rolls! We bought the butter rolls, coconut half moon, long John, taro donuts on a stick and of course the Hot Bread. You can sign up for daily updates on HOkulea's progress. If someone didn't tell me exactly how to do this I would've missed out. They take one of their french loaves and fill it with the filling of your choice, including butter, cream cheese, cinnamon, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and mango. The food was excellent and price about right for Hawaii. Not a lot of options on Molokai so this is the best choice for breakfast. The restaurant accepts credit cards. The team and people have been there a long time. Fun Hawaii activities away from the tourist crowds for real travelers on vacation to the Big Island, O'ahu, Maui, Kaua'i, Moloka'i, and Lna'i. Line up at the back door from 9 p.m. when the bread finishes baking; you can order it with butter, jelly, cinnamon, or cream . Theinterior of the restaurant is plain. Even with a team of 350 employees, Christenson said the restaurant aims to stay true to its mom-and-pop roots. The bakerys operations were also suspended for three days in March. A definite fan favorite in South Molokai, Kanemitsu Bakery goes big on pastries, donuts, and many other baked goods each and every day. Kanemitsu Bakery serves a "hot bread" described as a "pillowy loaf" late into the night. Is Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop currently offering delivery or takeout? Ono! There's so much more we want to try when we visit next: the taro donuts, the pancakes served for breakfast (including taro pancakes) and the evening hot bread! "),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0