They call it Mecca magic has Jo mentioned that?. Zoe Foster Blake owns Go-To Skincare, stocked at Mecca, and has known Horgan for nearly two decades. Read about our approach to external linking. Its ever changing, ever innovating. Its always Mecca. It is incredibly impressive, and takes more work than most imagine.. Jo Horgan and co-chief executive Peter Wetenhall are looking at expanding Mecca's business beyond Australia and New Zealand. Thats the Mecca magic, she says. I wake up every day and say, Gosh, isnt there so much to do, isnt there so much opportunity to grow and build and expand and so much opportunity to improve what were doing in the here and now.. : I look back and on the one hand, the vision seemed so lofty that I go, What was I thinking? The vision was to revolutionize the beauty industry and turn the way customers interact with beauty on its head. The connection. MECCA Brands. We say a lot that if were not failing at things, were not pushing ourselves hard enough. This year's winner will be chosen by a globally diverse panel of independent judges, based on six criteria that measure long-term value. J.H. Were taking an agile approach, because were very cognizant that the beauty landscape is ever changing at warp speed and its our job to predict where its going and to make sure we can continually adapt and evolve to always be ahead of the market. We want to be the worlds most loved beauty destination, said Horgan, during a wide-ranging interview with Beauty Inc. Weve learned over the last 25 years that if your customers absolutely love what you do and how you make them look and feel, and they want to be part of that community, you will prevail. I loved cosmetics I thought there was a real space for them that should be fun and entertaining. "I used to sit with her at one of those old-fashioned dressing tables, and we'd just chat," she says. The firm M.J. Horgan & Sons operated until 1st July 2009. What Im doing is not what they have done. But, she adds, Its brilliant that they are being overt about what they are doing. Jo Horgan has spent the last 25 years building the business she founded, Mecca, into Australia 's largest prestige beauty retailer. "That felt like a very special time.". But at the same time, she never wants it to be about her. We really tried to think through every way a customer wants to interact with product and brands. She was banking on the idea that beauty products were better sold by staff who were knowledgeable across various brands, instead of being incentivised to prioritise one brand over another the way assistants at concessions inside department stores were. It has since profiled 1500 ingredients for their nutritional properties and identified potential uses. The commissioning of these five major works will, Horgan hopes, go some way to correcting the gender imbalance in the world of art and design. Because Jo Horgan has quite a lot to say. When was Joe Horgan drafted? What has enabled Mecca to be so successful? Jo needs to dream, and keeping the company as it is allows her to dream big, on her terms.. Jim served honorably in the Michigan National guard from 1957 to 1963. . I dont wake up and say, Gosh, arent I successful, she says. A Pembroke Pines family is mourning the death of the patriarch respected cardiologist Dr. Joseph Horgan but the grieving process has been particularly brutal. The murderer was Michael's cousin, Earnest Lee Hargon, 43, a former cattle truck driver who felt he had been cheated out of the family's will. Even if they dont buy anything. "I really do see us as co-CEOs, because we bring different skill sets to the party," she says. Theyre running bigger businesses than most managing directors in Australia and it is our responsibility to prepare them for that and make sure they will thrive. : I like to think if we put our minds to creating product that is worthy of our customers, we would have to set ourselves a standard that it would be worthy of customers anywhere. Jo Horgan was 14 when her family decided to leave behind the genteel streets of Wimbledon and move to Australia. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA Enterprise and the Google. What's the least amount of exercise we can get away with? . Welaunched in August 2020, during the pandemic, and have learned some super useful things. The last piece is how do we improve the booking journey, the pre- and post-appointment care and make services more personalized. Especially because during the first year, I kept thinking of the statistic that nine out of 10 businesses fail in year one, so I knew I had better be pretty focused on how I differentiated myself from the average. Jo Horgan has completely redefined the Australian beauty landscape, championing retail innovation and delivering the ultimate beauty experience to her customers. Based on this, were launching MeccaAesthetica as a stand-alone trial in Melbourne. Horgan's father Pat died when he was 18 months old, leaving his mother Alice to raise him along with his three siblings. J.H. There is a saying at Mecca, she says, that its always OK to do the wrong thing for the right reason. As a result, weve been able to build an absolutely customer obsessed proposition from the outset and have been able to come up with a completely unique brand management model. It has always been to be additive to our global portfolio that offers the best in beauty. 62 years. Many of them are running businesses that might be $5 million, $10 million, $50 million doors. Dr. Joseph T. Horgan in an undated professional portrait. Ms Horgan adds that much of Mecca's success comes from choosing the right people to be around her in the first place. The EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2018 Australia Award winner founded Melbourne-based Mecca Brands in 1997 with the first Mecca Cosmetica store. That gave me the confidence that I could problem-solve, she says. She then started working for L'Oreal, first in London, and then relocating to Melbourne, so she could return to Australia. : It was both exhilarating and slightly daunting to have the magnifying glass on the map of the world, to go from hovering over Australia and New Zealand and to step back and back and back, and go wow, the world is a big place. How do you think about the role of the store today? The couple, who have two children, had met while both were studying in the US in their 20s. : I think its really fascinating. New York had the highest population of Horgan families in 1840. Because its been key to Jos lived experience, and because it has been proven, time and again, to be a tangible way to effect change. Nicole Reed, It could have been the Jo Horgan x NGV Women in Design Commission but as ever, it is Meccas name in lights rather than Horgans. Those are the two extremes that will prevail into the future. Staff receive 200 hours of training in their first year Meccas training budget is more than 2 per cent of sales and everyone from the shop floor up is encouraged to develop their skills. Education has always been our lever, for our team and for our customers. 5 View gallery The family of murdered Eshter Horgan . However, once in his 40s, Earnest, who was described as a modern-day cowboy, began suffering multiple . Meccas Sydney flagship measures 18,000 square feet. To help achieve this the company says that 3% of its turnover is spent on training its more than 2,500 employees. Not every store mirrors the Hempel many are more like beauty theme parks: loud, bright, a sensory overload of fragrance and colour. JEROME HORGAN OBITUARY. Gracemary & Anthony Huntley. Its a message Horgan herself could have dreamed up; she has been resolute on the power of design since Mecca began. We then moved into sun care, because it is so highly regulated in Australia, and it built from there. Robbie Fimmano. 10 quotes from John Horgan: 'By the time I finally finished writing [book:The End of Science|250814] , I'd concluded that people don't give a shit about science.. "You know what, I don't think I'm such a great boss," she says. An early inspiration was the Hempel Hotel in London, a study in refined minimalism that married British restraint with Japanese zen. Nineteen years later, Mecca Brands has more than 100 Mecca Cosmetica and Mecca Maxima stores in Australia and New Zealand, opening 18 stores since August 2018. See Photos. Then we said, can we expand this through to jewelry as adornment, so were doing piercings, solderings, engraving. Because of the gender disparity, she says. She says she has no plans to step back in any capacity. Jo Horgan and NGV curator Simone LeAmon with the recipient of the Women in Design Commission, Mexican architect Tatiana Bilbao (on screen). The Fragrance Foundation to Honor Nicolas Hieronimus, They Are Wearing: Paris Fashion Week Fall 2023. Its also acknowledging that as you get bigger, you do need to bring a more disciplined approach to ensure that innovation remains in the business, so we have a concept innovation team working across everything from services and service providers through to categories to totally new concepts. J.H. We had to pivot and pivot to the point of pirouetting through the pandemic. Now that she has achieved that and here, one must set all cynicism aside Horgan has a new goal. Horgan plans to keep as many heritage features as possible, including the pressed tin ceiling and Aztec-inspired tiles on the columns of the 1930s-era building. For many women buying makeup in a department store can be an intimidating experience, and Jo Horgan was no different. Jo needs to dream, and keeping the company private allows her to dream big, on her terms. The minute you start resting on your laurels is the minute momentum falls away. I think everyday brings enormous challenges and our goal - like [reality TV show] Survivor is outlive, outplay and outlast.". Horgan describes her leadership style as akin to that of sweepers in the sport of curling. When Ms Horgan was 14, her family relocated from the UK to Australia, settling in Perth. Its our take on a dermal clinic, with retail up front, chairs in the front for the shorter treatments and larger rooms for full derm treatments. Ms Horgan says she likes to tell him that she is the boss, but that in reality it is really a partnership. We share our failures as a badge of honor of learning, so that no one else makes the same mistake and we can bank it in the knowledge vault of Mecca and it helps inform future tests and trials. : The Sydney store is about 18,000 square feet, three times the size of our biggest store and nearly eight times the size of our average store. Transactional retail was never our bag, but over time we have pushed the boundaries on experiences and our customers have followed us on that march, where 35 percent of our space in the new flagships are service-oriented offers, because that is what our customer wants. We also have, without question, the worlds most educated team. And he was super-supportive of me doing it, and he participated from the beginning. J.H. She realised early that she wasnt fabulous at being a tiny cog in a big machine, which ticked me over into an entrepreneurial space. The story that most people know about Mecca, and Jo, is about beauty, says Keenan, who has worked with Horgan, on and off, for close to 20 years. It was the very best products in the most beautiful space, a space where you would want to live with your best friends.. The Mecca magic that Horgan frequently intones stems from the idea that staff members should be empowered to make decisions to ensure their customers look, and more importantly feel their best. . But you know, there is just so much to do! See the complete profile on LinkedIn and discover Jo's connections and jobs at similar companies. Thats my mentality every day.. And she speaks. So we are reaching that horizon. Not quite Mecca is 25, though Horgan is 53. Ill get in tremendous trouble. Julie & Christopher James. How do I make sure we are here, thriving, here to stay?, Now that it is thriving, her focus has shifted, but is no less intense. Our philosophy is to try many different things in a small way and see what sticks, and once you really understand, then fire the massive cannonball. In 2016, Horgan launched M-Power, Meccas charitable arm. So how do we use that for good?. Jo Horgan has spent the last 25 years building the business she founded, Mecca, into Australia's largest prestige beauty retailer. But its bigger than her.. And we truly believe we are making a difference to the world. Our intention has never been to make the signature lines enormous powerhouses in terms of sales and share. 12/1/2022 12:02 AM. Mecca was one of the first beauty businesses to embrace e-commerce, launching an online store in 2001, and mecca.com.au is one of the largest players in the online beauty market. B.C. June 15, 2022 . : I believe retail is going to go further to seamless transaction on the one end and absolutely completely experiential on the other. Its her personality, its her aesthetic, everything. Instead, shes using the opportunity to set a big, bold goal or BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) as she would say for the next 25 years: global domination. If you look at 25 years ago versus now, the retail landscape has totally changed, the brand offer and category offers have multiplied out of sight, the players have diversified. He was super-seminal in the business. What that means for us is to ingegrate the incredible service our hosts offer in store and work out how to do that in the digital arena. I feel my role is to furiously shine the ice so as many [stones] hit the target as possible, she says. 1.73m. Of course, commerce on such a grand scale is not all beer and skittles - Horgan is the first to admit there are huge . Her enthusiasm has not dimmed, he says. But he recalls a sense of lightning in a bottle. Owner of the Mecca Cosmetica chain, Jo Horgan, in her Mecca Maxima store. J.H. 3 min read. Itll be so exciting.. As youve grown, how have you maintained that agility? And I think that if you said that to her, shed actually be really happy. If not me, who? she says. Using funds from the sale of her house, Horgan, then 29, opened a small store in South Yarra in Melbourne in 1997, selling cosmetics by cult brands such as Nars, Stila and Urban Decay. Why Alex Murdaugh was spared the death penalty, Why Trudeau is facing calls for a public inquiry, The shocking legacy of the Dutch 'Hunger Winter', Why half of India's urban women stay at home. Jo Horgan was the EY Entrepreneur of The Year 2018 Australia Award winner. How do we change the game in digital. Sarah & Tyler Hunter. It goes beyond sticking brands on a shelf; everything about Meccas identity, from its in-store design to its omnichannel focus on education, ladders up to the idea of democratizing beauty for every customer.. As a frequent and dedicated customer of Mecca, and a long time admirer of Jo Horgan and what she has created within the Aussie beauty industry, it's so exciting to be part of the family. : In its first year, the Sydney store easily surpassed our goals, and it just shows that if you give customers what they may not ever know they want, but if you give them something they love, they will follow you. In a ceremony hosted at . That is the Mecca magic.. Andrea & Leigh Jasper. 2023 Fairchild Publishing, LLC. Of the top 100 architecture firms in the world, just three are run by women.. Sign Up. He is a very successful restaurateur. Earnest Hargon had been adopted into the family as a youngster when his mother married a Hargon. Horgan, JoAnn Age 90, passed away peacefully on December 24th, surrounded by her family. WWD and Women's Wear Daily are part of Penske Media Corporation. Both are ambitious and sprawling; works in progress that have no end point because, well, the world can always be more beautiful. Melissa, 41, and Joe, also 41, are moving 20 minutes away from Montville, where Teresa Giudice and her family still live, and instead are opting for the affluent Franklin Lakes neighborhood in . At this, Horgan shrugs. Horgans parents, who brought her to Australia to live at 14, had their own businesses: her mother ran a mail-order fashion start-up; her father owned factories that made yarn and clothing for the likes of Marks & Spencer. She has been co-CEO of Mecca Brands since 2005, when she began sharing the role with her husband, Peter Wetenhall, a former Boston Consulting Group strategist. An entrepreneur in the digital industry and a leading figure in content promotion and social media marketing, Kylie's small project called Kin, started in 2013, has now turned into a big company. She is one of a small but mighty coterie of female philanthropists whove made it their mission to prop up the Australian arts industry: Judith Neilson, Gretel Packer, Gene Sherman, Naomi Milgrom, Krystyna Campbell-Pretty. We spend over 4 percent of our turnover on education and engagement. 532 Beloit Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90049-3444 - reported in June 2008 (3 years) ; 530 Beloit Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90049-3444 - reported in September 2010 (3 years) ; 11343 Montana Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90049-3032 - reported in September 2010 (3 years) ; 11731 Bellagio Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90049 . Jo Horgan isn't someone who takes no for an answer . This was about 50% of all the recorded Horgan's in USA. The first time, she waves them away, equally polite. I think circumstances help usher you onto that path. Jo Horgan is a talker. I try to make sure we have a really good time on the way through. The most Horgan families were found in USA in 1920. Was education always a key part of your strategy? Thats also going to revolutionize the industry. : To mark our 25th, we went to see Jim Collins, the author of Good to Great, because Ive been an absolute devotee since I first read his book in 2003. Jo received a first degree degree from University of Western Australia. The company was selling online as far back as 2001, and uses the likes of Facebook and Instagram to promote itself and connect to customers. Austin was among the most notable debutants on The List this year, when the 2022 edition was published in late March, alongside the likes of beauty retail phenomenon Jo Horgan and her husband . The precision of information you present and the way in which you do so becomes a critical part of the curation process. James W. Horgan July 31, 2022 James W. Horgan, age 82 of Paris, passed away Sunday, July 31, 2022 at Railside Assisted Living Center in Byron Center. J.H. She could have called it Horgans, or something. Preceded in death by his wife, Bettie Jo Horgan (Christian) and his sisters, Patricia M. Birney and Rosemary C. Trier. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Mecca Brands founder Jo Horgan never set out to be a pioneer. How would you describe your leadership style? Skilled in Organisational Development, Property Capital Markets, Development Finance, Asset Management and Due Diligence. But as she notches more than two decades of growth and success, Horgan has no interest in taking a victory lap. And I really do believe there are infinite possibilities from here. An even bigger challenge arrived in 2014 when French cosmetics store giant Sephora launched in Australia. There is no true end game to Horgan at Mecca, nor to Horgans philanthropy. Jeweller Sener Besim worked with Horgan at the now-defunct department store Georges, where Mecca had an early concession. She now looks back on the episode as a valuable lesson. The May issue of AFR Magazine, the Philanthropy issue, is out on Friday, April 29 inside The Australian Financial Review. Today, 21 years later, Mecca has 87 outlets across Australia and New Zealand, and reported annual revenues of 287m Australian dollars ($223m; 157m). Ms Horgan's relationship with cosmetics began early, when she was a little girl who enjoyed watching her mother apply makeup at their home in London, England. Jo Horgan's Phone Number and Email Last Update. That her empire is named Mecca is apt working for Horgan requires matching her level of faith and optimism in the world, or at least striving to. The Hogan Family (originally titled Valerie and later Valerie's Family) is an American sitcom television series that began airing on NBC on March 1, 1986, and finished its run on CBS on July 20, 1991, for a total of six seasons. As a child Jo Horgan liked to watch when her mother put on her makeup, Mecca is an extensive user of social media, Mecca's stores bring high-end cosmetics under one roof, Ms Horgan runs the business with her husband Peter Wetenhall, Mecca now has 87 outlets across Australia and New Zealand. So how much further does that go?. I admire her tremendously., Jo is full of enthusiasm, positive and high energy, which infuses Mecca with that same spirit, said Masahiko Uotani, chief executive officer of Shiseido. Imagine the best product offer, a beautiful environment and my best beauty friend next to me taking me from zero to expert in one session thats how I wanted to experience cosmetics myself, Horgan says. See Photos. Experienced Director with a demonstrated history of working in the financial services industry. The phone number (630) 260-1779 (Ameritech Illinois) is Jo's. Jo A Hilgendorf, Pat F Horgan, John D Horgan, Kevin Horgan were identified as possible owners of the phone number . Currently, the first is Meccas culture and that has become even more important coming out of COVID-19, at a time when there is culture erosion because we could literally not get together for two years. Instead of markedly putting up prices Ms Hogan had to cut her profits. John left Cork to come to Perth with his Protestant wife. We were clear about what we wanted to offer. There are other ways in which we invest in our teams. We had a top spa do a three-month incursion so they can connect with clients. "When you know the customer intimately, I think, that makes it a much easier process [to launch and grow your own business].". She writes about lifestyle including the arts, entertainment, fashion and travel. For Horgan, leaning in and giving back are one and the same. Lisa Huett & John Gallagher. If we fix education, and get girls educated to the level they need to be, then everything economic participation, health, safety, political representation changes, she says, choosing her words carefully, slowly and reservedly. Mary Horgan. Photograph by Gareth McConnell for The New Yorker. The Mecca x NGV Women in Design Commission is not Horgans first philanthropic venture, nor is it her first experience funding the creative arts. 65. More from WWD. AOC under investigation for Met Gala dress, Mother who killed her five children euthanised, Alex Murdaugh jailed for life for double murder, Zoom boss Greg Tomb fired without cause, The children left behind in Cuba's exodus, US sues Exxon over nooses found at Louisiana plant, Sacred coronation oil will be animal-cruelty free. It's now Australia and New Zealand's largest prestige beauty retailer, with more than . She kept lifting the bar in terms of her values, and balancing business success with the way that she wants to live and project her business. What did you learn? Horgan insists that she is not on the same level as the likes of Sherman or Neilson. Going back to Sydney, we put hairstyling in and that has grown into a burgeoning business of its own. Weve crafted a globally unique model that is proven where it is equal parts customer obsession, brand service and team engagement. For Horgan, the site came with a . And I was always willing to work hard., When Peter Wetenhall and Jo Horgan became engaged, instead of buying rings, she suggested they buy a piece of art by Gordon Bennett. Follow the topics, people and companies that matter to you. So building and driving our signature line business has not been a priority. Mary Horgan. How has your role in the business changed as its grown? The eldest of a family of four, he was just 16 when he was arrested on suspicion of raping and killing Rachel (22) on October 26, 2000. In it, an emerging female Australian artist would be commissioned to create packaging for Mecca during the Christmas period. . London had the highest population of Horgan families in 1891. Lauder came to Australia for the Olympics in 2000 and, after visiting two of Horgans five stores, declared Mecca would become a valid third channel and major force in the Australian premium beauty market. | Learn more about Kelly Jo Horgan's work experience, education, connections & more by visiting their profile on LinkedIn . In a further commitment to commercialising native ingredients, Zonfrillo, who was born in Glasgow, is funding solar-powered packing sheds that can be placed in remote areas. At LOreal, where she worked in marketing after graduating from Boston University (she completed a masters in mass communication, at one point musing on a career in journalism), an entrepreneurial approach was encouraged. Within three years, Mecca was starting to make waves, acting as importer, distributor and brand manager for niche brands that previously had no presence in Australia, disrupting the Myer/David Jones premium beauty duopoly and attracting the attention of industry leaders such as Estee Lauder chairman Leonard Lauder. Now, she is sitting at the very same gallery, appointed to its foundation board since 2013. Mary Jo Horrigan Dever. He was born February 22, 1940 in Big Rapids the so The other exciting thing is that beauty used to be color, skin and fragrance, and that has not just expanded into hair and body, but into health and wellness in a broad ranging and comprehensive way. Its incredibly exciting and exhilarating and slightly astonishing to look back on an action-packed 25 years of events, activities and incredible milestones. You know that saying about the first 20 years, youre getting it all together; the next 20 years, youre living; the next 20, youre meant to be giving back. You need to have boots on the ground to know the market. When his daughter turned three, Horgan bought a galaxy projector so she could sleep under stars in her bedroom, having remembered that Besim once told her that all life originates from stars. Horgan tries, graciously but unsuccessfully, to retract the data. Our purpose why we roll out of bed and choose this one thing to do above all other life choices was to make people look, feel and be their best. Their name are Jo A Hilgendorf, John D Horgan, and three others. Sometimes I use the analogy that my role is to act as the ice smoother in the game of curling. The uncommonly busy writer and actor on her mysterious next project, the evolution of television, and singing for the first time in Amazon's 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie.'