The other MVP was fellow Bruins freshman Kiki Rice. High School Girls' Basketball Recruiting Gabriela Jaquez. I can play basketball and hold my own. Arizonas Azuolas Tubelis leads the conference in scoring and rebounding and could become the first Pac-12 player since Cals Leon Powe in 2006 to lead in both categories at the end of the season. Camarillo High's Gabriela Jaquez may go down as the greatest girls basketball player in Ventura County history. Now were selling out games.. 10, nationally. "We're all just people at the end of the day. Jaime Sr. remembers the doctor yelling "whoa!" during the delivery. We bring you the latest game previews, live stats, and recaps on CBSSports.com "It was basketball and life goals. Jaquez went 7-of-16 from the field and 2-of-5 from deep with nine rebounds, while Rice went 7-of-10 from the field with five rebounds and four assists. But the Jaquez family's only former McDonald's All-American, and its most competitive member, didn't seem to notice her brother's reaction or that of her family sitting in the stands, and jumped back on defense. It doesnt leave me content and doesnt leave me stagnant. 1-ranked recruiting class Played club for Troop West and Cal Stars Won the Nike Girls EYBL National Championship in 2021 with Cal Stars Named MVP of EYBL Nike Nationals after averaging 21.3 ppg, 9.9 rpg and 1 spg in a 6-0 run in the championship tournament. She is so committed to mastering her craft. Beyond her college career, she already has her sights set on playing in the WNBA.. With Jaime having two home games, Gabriela at the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas and younger brother Marcos, a Camarillo High School basketball team senior, it has been another busy week of travel for the Jaquez family. We have a good team capable of winning games.. Ive been learning a lot, and theres still a lot to learn, she said. The goal is to make sure everyone who plays feels supported. Gabriela Jaquez Adolfo Camarillo (Calif.) [jwplayer lpqhoLGb-BmKM743H] (USA TODAY Network) Position: Forward Height: 6-foot College: UCLA 20 Indya Nivar Apex Friendship (N.C.) [jwplayer. 96. . Our program is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former student-athlete Jalen Hill. Except, this was no usual rim; it was less than a foot wide, much smaller than the 18-inch width of a regulation-sized cylinder. Get the latest news straight to your inbox! 6 Stanford in the Pac-12 tournament semifinals Friday night and are trying to improve their seeding for the upcoming women's NCAA Tournament. Kiki Rice 5-11 Guard Bethesda, Md. A post shared by Jaime Jaquez Jr (@trippplej). 2005-2023 CBS INTERACTIVE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. First she went from 5 feet 9 as a freshman to 6 feet as a junior. I know I'm on my own path. All three Jaquez siblings recently recognized their Mexican heritage with a name, image and likeness (NIL) deal with Tricolor Holdings, a company in Dallas that helps Latino immigrants purchase and finance cars. Rice is a two-time gold medalist with USA Basketball and earned District of Columbia Player of the Year honors in both basketball and soccer. She's a great passer, which I think is one of the lost arts of our game. Shes always been a great competitor and athlete. Pour en savoir plus sur la faon dont nous utilisons vos donnes personnelles, veuillez consulter notre politique relative la vie prive et notre politique en matire de cookies. But his focus was solely on the freshman forward on the floor for UCLA. COVID-19 prevented coaches from coming to games in person, so the summer before her senior year was critical. 2022, 6'0, SF, Camarillo HS, Gabriela Jaquez - Gabby has improved tremendously this season playing for the Cal Stars Top Team, I would gamble to say she is the best player on that team right now in terms of production on the floor. Gabriela, the co-MVP of last year's McDonald's All-American game, is averaging 6.7 PPG for the women's squad, which is currently projected as a 6-seed in the NCAA tournament. Sontag follows in the footsteps of UCLA's other recent international signings, including fellow German international Emily Bessoir and Australian native Izzy Anstey. If you do not yet have a Torstar account, you can create one now (it is free), Copyright owned or licensed by Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. She has compiled over 1,000-career points for Ronald Regan HS and provides versatility on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. She's so blue-collar and willing to do whatever. What has made the year even more enjoyable is that he isnt the only Jaquez making an impact on the court. Guard Kiki Rice and forward Gabriela Jaquez both represented UCLA women's basketball at the McDonald's All-American Girls Game on Tuesday, with Rice's East beating out Jaquez's West by a final . July 2021: Gabriela Jaquez (2022) commits to UCLA; September 2021: Marta Morales (2021 commit) is not listed on the team's 2021-22 roster . He wanted them to become versatile players but still have fun. I got rebounds. Rather, he wants his name in the UCLA rafters next to the greats, such as Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Were getting a window into how good shes going to become.. Gabriela Jaquez didnt receive a scholarship offer from UCLA until the summer before her senior season. 2 player in the country and No. Jaquezs brother, Jaime Jaquez, stars for the Bruins mens basketball team. Once married, Gloria, who did not speak English then, created a thriving hair salon business in Camarillo. At that point, she got seen and was immediately offered by UCLA, her dream school. He committed to UCLA in 2018 when the program was at one of its lowest points after firing Steve Alford less than a week before the start of conference play. Play Tournament Challenge. The first-team All-Pac-12 selection says he will suit up for the Bruins again during the 2022-23 season. On Sunday morning, the family will quickly head to Las Vegas as the Bruins look to win the conference womens tournament for the first time since 2006. Jaquez has deflected talk of individual honors and said the only thing he concentrates on is team honors, and trying to get UCLA (26-4) a top seed in the NCAA Tournament. Nous, Yahoo, faisons partie de la famille de marques Yahoo. Jaquez was ranked 87th in the 2019 recruiting rankings. On Wednesday, Jaquez returned home from Chicago and immediately resumed playing for Camarillos softball team, where shes the starting third baseman. He is also a two-time member of the Pac-12 All-Defensive Team. 4 UCLA and Jaime Jaquez Jr. Not only does the senior have a chance at winning Pac-12 Player of the Year honors, but this season has been extra special because his sister Gabriela is in her first year on the Bruins women's basketball team. Like most top prospects today, both Gabriela and Jaime Jr. had the opportunity to transfer to other high schools or prep programs. Copyright 2023 Pac-12 Conference. (Photo Courtesy of SportsCenter Next/Twitter). In The Gym With Avery Howell. Excited to announce that I am committed to UCLA ??????!! She is third on the team in 3-point accuracy at 36.7%. That is considered very late in the basketball recruiting process and a remarkable achievement on her part. Going into Saturdays regular-season finale against No. This copy is for your personal non-commercial use only. 8 Arizona, Jaime is on pace to become only the sixth player in conference history to rank in the top five in the Pac-12 in scoring, rebounding and steals. ELITE 150 Watch List - 2027. At Toppers Pizza in Camarillo, members of the Jaquez family took up two large tables as they passed a collection of pizzas -- creamy garlic chicken, chicken ranch dijon and hot honey -- between them. Gabriela has started two games but has mainly come off the bench while averaging 6.7 points and 3.5 rebounds. She was the 19th-ranked player in the Class of 2023 and. Si vous souhaitez personnaliser vos choix, cliquez sur Grer les paramtres de confidentialit. She averaged 34.2 points, 15.7 . She is third on the team in 3-point accuracy at 36.7%. ESPN ranked Jaquez. Vous pouvez modifier vos choix tout moment en cliquant sur le lien Tableau de bord sur la vie prive prsent sur nos sites et dans nos applications. "She doesn't just get the rebounds in her area; she gets the tough ones. Usually, after his games, Ill go to his apartment. "I love representing a country and representing a culture of something bigger than myself as well," he said. I mean, Jordin Canada, Monique Billings, that class was number one as well, so you have to put it at that, but you look at the depth of the class, how many people are in the class, the differentiation I just think it's an extremely strong class. ESPN grades are on a 100-point scale. Jaquez averaged 34.2 points and 15.7 rebounds this past season. "By the time we got to a bigger rim, it was easy," Ezequiel said. It's more than a tradition; it's a legacy Gabriela and Jaime Jr. have cherished. Jaquez tells the story of how things changed. permissions/licensing, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? I want to work harder than anybody else, I want to do whatever it takes'. Arizonas Azuolas Tubelis leads the conference in scoring and rebounding and could become the first Pac-12 player since Cals Leon Powe in 2006 to lead in both categories at the end of the season. Jaquez will enter the UCLA women's program as part of a recruiting class that's among the nation's best. Christeen Iwuala 6-3 Post San Antonio, Texas (Ronald Regan HS) As their two teams leading scorers, the future UCLA standouts sparked the offense on both ends of the floor. Marcos is certain, though, that . She is so dynamic in space, too; it catches you off guard. It has nothing to do with her brother, Close said. 49. With Jaime having two home games, Gabriela at the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas and younger brother Marcos, a Camarillo High School basketball team senior, it has been another busy week of travel for the Jaquez family. While Jaime came in under the radar, Gabriela entered UCLA with plenty of hype as part of the top-ranked recruiting class in the country. Jaquez plans to take a moment to evaluate her options. After arriving in America more than 50 years ago to visit her sister, she met Ezequiel. She put up an impressive 34.2 points per game and 15.7 rebounds during her senior season. "One of the things I thought about, I just had all my friends," Jaime Jr. said. 2023-02-21 10:08. She's an incredibly cerebral point guard, she can play on the ball and off the ball, but what I love is she is an incredible student of the game. She was the 19th-ranked player in the Class of 2023 and co-MVP of last year's McDonald's All-American game. The Bruins (24-8) faced No. I was always good but kept getting better. When Jaime Sr. wondered if something was wrong, the doctor merely laughed and said he had a big baby. #4sup @UCLAWBB @vcstar @vcspreps @TheAcornSports @latsondheimer @CalStars @AchsGirls pic.twitter.com/r0hKYpEDLN. She was the 19th-ranked player in the Class of 2023 and. So as a preview for their time together in Westwood, the pair met in the middle and put on a show in the Midwest. The more immediate task is preparing for Saturdays game, which will also be Jaquezs final game in Pauley Pavilion. All rights reserved. I listen to him and his teammates talk about the game, and I try to see what I can learn from that.. UCLAs womens basketball team was watching the McDonalds game from their plane seats during a flight to South Dakota to play in the WNIT semifinals. But he can do it.". Jaime was expected to be one of UCLAs leaders at the start of the season. They definitely have a championship mindset, and I look forward to seeing the development of championship habits. That was a super fun and exciting past few days. I am his little sister. Usually, after his games, Ill go to his apartment. But Im older now and starting to get a little bit more wisdom. The Bruins have inked Kiki Rice, Gabriela Jaquez, Londynn Jones, Christeen Iwuala, and Lina Sontag to national letters of intent. On Sunday morning, the family will quickly head to Las Vegas as the Bruins look to win the conference womens tournament for the first time since 2006. While Jaime came in under the radar, Gabriela entered UCLA with plenty of hype as part of the top-ranked recruiting class in the country. She was also a Jordan Brand All-American and won the Nik e Girls EYBL National Championship in 2021 with Cal Stars. While a . At the head of one of the tables sat Ezequiel and Gloria, Jaime Jr. and Gabriela's grandparents. Along with Jaquez, the Bruins now have commitments from five-star point guard Londynn Jones, five-star guard Paris Clark, Spanish guard Elena Buenavida, and German forward LinaSontag. Jaquez has deflected talk of individual honors and said the only thing he concentrates on is team honors, and trying to get UCLA (26-4) a top seed in the NCAA Tournament. He committed to UCLA in 2018 when the program was at one of its lowest points after firing Steve Alford less than a week before the start of conference play. Crossword; Sudoku; Crossword; Sudoku _____ About Us It shows I am a good player and can play at that level. Its extremely busy, but were proud of all of them, Jaime Sr. said. (Photo by . She was the 19th-ranked player in the Class of 2023 and co-MVP of last years McDonalds All-American game. Last season, she averaged 31.7 points per game and 14.8 rebounds. Jaime Jaquez Jr. is having the type of senior season at UCLA most players dream about. She is third on the team in 3-point accuracy at 36.7%. 6 Stanford 69-65 in the Pac-12 tournament semifinals, https://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball, https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll. Jaime Jr. and Gabriela still return to Camarillo during the season. Meanwhile, Jaime Jr. aims to lead UCLA to its first national championship since 1995. She is third on the team in 3-point accuracy at 36.7%. His sister, Gabriela, is having a solid season for the 19th-ranked Bruins womens basketball team. The whole team was fired up, Close said. While Jaime came in under the radar, Gabriela entered UCLA with plenty of hype as part of the top-ranked recruiting class in the country. The UCLA womens basketball team has received its fifth commitment to the 2022 class as four-star forward Gabriela Jaquez of Camarillo (Calif.) Camarillo,also sister of Jaime ofthe mens team, has committed to the Bruins.