The finish is longer. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon is one of my favorite value bourbons. Travel Craft Beer Of course, sometimes you buy something just because you want to compare it to something else. Thats why its so refreshing to see Evan Williamsn 1783 Small Batch buck this trend and anchor at a flat $20. not something I want to nose at all. California Evan Williams 23 1972 750ml 53.5 All of Heaven Hills' standard bourbon is the same mashbill - from lowly Heaven Hill black label to Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Each section below is written comparing all of the whiskeys in the line-up to one of their peers. Canada Scotch Sometimes a wallet-friendly price point and the basics are enough to earn that chance. Hot Toddy Proof: 100 Proof; Color: Bright Gold; Nose: Caramel with hints of vanilla, oak, and barley; Taste: Citrus on top of vanilla, and black pepper; Finish . Evan Williams' signature as it appeared on an 18th century distillation license. There was a time when $20 could net you a solid bourbon that was sure to please and was also readily available for purchase. The differences come in factors of age, strength, barrel selection and the subtle art of blending, but there are still times when its a bit tough to look at the specs of two products and see why theyre treated significantly differently. It has character, but its not complex by any means as it has a somewhat one-dimensional focus on sweeter elements. Some pleasant topnotes of lemon meringue and vanilla custard swirl around here, with a mineral accent and whiffs of copper and stainless steel. Nose: Caramel, vanilla, rye spices, jam, cedar, with moderate alcoholTaste: Sweet black tea, char, oak, jamFinish: Some sweet black tea remains, but a fair amount of char, dryness and alcohol build into the finish, which is fairly long with a moderate alcohol burn. Peanut, vanilla frosting, cinnamon, brown sugar, Caramel, corn syrup, peanuts, cinnamon, oak, 1783 is the year in which Evan Williams founded. Except where otherwise noted, this website is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license. Just try finding a 6 to 8-year-old, 90 proof bourbon from one of your local micro-distilleries for $20. You can follow him on Twitter for more drink writing. If you're not old enough to drink, then you're not old enough to read Breaking Bourbon. The setup is like this: "If you've had Whiskey A then Whiskey B is" hotter, spicier, sweeter, more floral, etc. The finish of 1783 is more floral and mintier. Bevmo thats a tough one to beat! Interview Trader Joe's It ranks as one of the better entry levels bourbons available at this . It does not have any remarkable feature but nothing wrong about it. However, that is not to say Evan Williams - the brand - has been around since 1783. amrttEvan Williams 23; . Wente Its technically non-age-statement, but Heaven Hill states that its a marriage of barrels aged six to eight years, and the proof on this new version has been bumped up slightly, from 43% ABV (86 proof) to its original 45% ABV (90 proof). Featured in an unassuming bottle and at a mid 80s proof point, it was a bottle that was easy to pass by on shelves. "If Evan Williams were to sell this whiskey to someone else, that brand would mark it up to $40, and people would be happy buying it," Minnick says. 2023 SMOOTH BOURBON - AGED TO PERFECTION At 86 proof, our Evan Williams Bourbon is rich, full of character, and simply done right. Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond (100 proof, $40). First, though, lets define what exactly Evan Williams 1783 is, exactly. Evan Williams Black. It lends itself well to just vegging out watching an implausible prime-time action drama. By that measure its a tremendous value for only $15. With an easygoing sip and a nicer looking bottle, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch becomes a bourbon that I would recommend everyone give a try once. The finish is longer and warmer. The current portfolio of brands includes Elijah Craig, Old Fitzgerald, Rittenhouse, and - of course - Evan Williams. Unlike Wild Turkey 17 Year Bottled in Bond, it's not overly bitter, tannic, or harsh. This whiskey offers drier, woodier, and more complex flavors than typical bottled-in-bonds, courtesy of those extra years in the barrel. All Evan Williams bourbons are made from Heaven Hill's standard bourbon mash bill: 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley, and they are aged in char level 3 barrels. There is more caramel and cinnamon spice on the mouth. A subtle bit of oak creeps in after that, giving way to a fairly dry, medium-length finish. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch: has less cinnamon and more caramel. Mashbill:78% Corn, 12% Malted Barley, and 10% Rye. In practice, though, Evan Williams 1783 sits in the middle of a Heaven Hill bourbon lineup with so many other options that its totally unsurprising for it to go relatively unnoticed. Evan Williams Green Label (80 proof) may be available regionally. Cooking Go to ko-fi.com/bourbonguy to support. Evan Williams Black Label: is very similar, showing more vanilla, on the nose. 94 Evan Williams 2013 Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey 43.3% (USA) $29.00. Look for the white label. Mixed Drinks 10. The Evan Williams 1783 is the brand's small-batch offering bottled at 43% ABV. . Like the nose, flavors of wood and oak are absent here, as sweet notes of vanilla, caramel, burnt brown sugar, and a touch of black pepper take over. about Egans Legacy Reserve Volume IV 18 Years Single Malt Irish Whiskey Review, about Malt Nuts: Teenage Caol Ila Tasting, 2019 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Review, Four Roses Small Batch Select Bourbon Review, Four Roses 2018 Limited Edition Small Batch Review 130th Anniversary, Egans Legacy Reserve Volume IV 18 Years Single Malt Irish Whiskey Review, J.R. Ewing Private Reserve Bourbon Review. Having been around for a number of years, in May 2021, Heaven Hill reintroduced the brand with a more premium package design. The EW Single Barrel is vintage-dated, meaning each bottle is marked with the vintage date it was put into oak, along with the year it was bottled and the serial number of the barrel that the spirit was extracted from. Want to read about another Evan Williams bourbon? Import The mouth follows showing more floral and melon notes. Thoughts: This is a very pleasant, uncomplicated bourbon. And when it comes to the appearance, ingredients, and labeling of each bottle, the two . But sometimes that's a good thing. Regardless, lets get to actually tasting whats inside this bottle. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond: is sweeter, nuttier, and has more cocoa on the nose. Discover the differences between Evan Williams 1783 vs Evan Williams Single Barrel in this in-depth comparison and decide which bourbon is better for You! Therefore, all the bourbon in the BIB is the same age while 1783 could have some older barrels mixed (although the majority is probably a little over 4 years). Well, bourbon 1 was the Evan Williams 1783 and bourbon 2 was the Evan Williams Black Label. Spring or Fall). Easy drinking neat but as it lacks the punch to make a tasty cocktails as it misses the warmth that makes cocktails tasty. He actually had nothing to do with Heaven Hill, or this bourbon. The youngest bottle I have of age stated is from 95, and the oldest is from 87. Jim Beam vs Jack Daniel's Comparison . While not exceptional by any means, Evan Williams BiB is an appealing and versatile bourbon with tremendous value. What do you think? Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch honors the year that Evan Williams founded Kentucky's First Distillery. The finish follows and is longer than Green Label. The finish is similar in warmth and length but brings the floral and melon notes along. by Michelle De Lude | Nov 23, 2022. That should be. Single Barrel (2013 vintage) really reminds me of an Old Forester Bourbon when compared with the rest of this line-up. Wheat Despite the lack of an age statement (though a minimum of four years can be inferred from the label), Evan Williams BiB is actually a five year product according to Heaven Hill Brand Ambassador Bernie Lubbers, so really just one year shy of Heaven Hill BiB. Posted on Published: November 7, 2022- Last updated: December 11, 2022. Tasting Notes: Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Vital stats: Uses Heaven Hill's traditional bourbon mash bill of 78% corn, 12% malted barley, and 10% rye; made from 300 barrels or less, aged 6-8 years; 90 proof; about $20. Evan Williams Black Label: is very similar, though slightly mintier, on the nose. American Just to see if different was necessarily better. Brown Bottled-in-Bond. Merlot For years, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch was an easy-to-overlook bourbon. I thought I was done with these posts, not because I dont like doing them, but Id done all of the ones I could think of. Evan Williams Kentucky Bourbon has been around since 1957 when the Heaven Hill Company and Distillery began producing the straight bourbon. Paler than expected, in the glass. Nowadays, $20 will barely cover the cost of a cocktail plus tip, and yet here is Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch in a new redesigned stylish package being priced at a very consumer-friendly price point. Seasonal Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch honors the year that Evan Williams founded Kentuckys first distillery. Jamaica If anything, what this release really points out is that the Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond that was redesigned in 2019 is something of a tough sellwhy spend $40 when there are so many solid, high-value options from the same distillery at nearly half the price? The mouth on Single Barrel (2013) shows more fruity and floral notes which follows into the finish. Since September, I've had it neat a half dozen times or so, used it in a few cocktails and even for cooking on occasion. Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Round 7: Tasting Notes Evan Williams [], Copyright 2023 Whisky, Whiskey & Bourbon | Trellis Framework by Mediavine, Evan Williams 1783 vs Single Barrel: Price comparison. I pour into the glasses labeled A and B and my wife moved them to either 1 or 2. Evan Williams Single Barrel (2013 vintage): is richer, showing more oak and floral notes. Commonly Fine is a blog about great beers, wines and spirits at great prices. As many Heaven Hill brands share the same mashbill and similar age range, its not surprising that the overall flavor profile is a somewhat familiar one. Green Label has a much thinner mouthfeel and a less concentrated flavor profile. This Heaven Hill whiskey brings. It has a palate that shows hints of oak, vanilla, honey, and a slightly sweet finish. While it certainly helps the brand, what is more important is the bourbon inside. Cider It takes like a sweet yeasty stack of pancakes with maple syrup on top, with a nice dusty taste to it. I like to travel. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond. Offering one of the largest selections of beer, wine and spirits. It gets hotter as it moves back in the mouth. *As of the time of writing, I am waiting for confirmation on that fact from Heaven Hill and will update if I hear back from them. Evan Williams Small Batch has a higher price point than the black label, but what is it exactly, and is it worth paying the extra $ per bottle? The Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, meanwhile, has a 7-year age statementso doesnt that imply that these two are roughly the same age? In the glass: beige. I like that nutty funk, so I'm not put off by it. The whiskey has been flavored with natural or artificial flavors, as well as a label that indicates the predominant flavour(s). Learn More 100 PROOF & BONDED The product of one season, one distiller, and one distillery. Evan Williams Single Barrel (86.6 proof, $30) Evan Williams BIB vs Evan Williams 1783 I posted a thread 3mo ago about best cheap bourbons for mixing with Coke. 1783 is a small batch bourbon using less than 200 barrels; which is a bit too high for a supposedly small batch. Product description. For around 15 bucks in Kentucky, it is another value bottled in bond bourbon that is also worth a try.