1 knot = 1.15 MPH or 1.85 KPH. There are only about 5 places to stay there (a few more options and it is growing) If you want to surf in Guatemala you need to either go early in the morning or after 5 pm There is little to no wifi in El Paredon At the end of the day, this is a quiet beach town and the main activity would be surfing, chilling, and partying. They have all the usuals, pool, food, bar, hammock hut on the beach and they often have parties and live music. Relaxing on the beach will give you the breather you need, you are still on vacation after all! The nice thing about that is, you can lose yourself in your day and then when the light begins to drop and the sunset oranges appear you just drop everything and head to the beach. El Paredon is a surfing beach town located on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, in the department of Escuintla. Often times you will be sitting on the beach and only be able to see so far because of the darkness of the sand reflecting. With these amazing Guatemalan cooking experiences, youll get a chance to go to a local familys kitchen and learn how to prepare authentic Guatemalan dishes. Please see myDisclosurefor more details. So if you want my advice to give Monterrico a miss and head to El Paredon quickly before everyone else realizes just how good it really is! So if youre wanting a late lunch at 4pm you might struggle to find a place offering food at that time. The best option to rent a kayak is at El Paredon Surf Camp for 40 GTQ (5 USD) for three hours. With calm waters and great views of the mangroves, its perfect for paddle-boarding. Finally, you can take the chicken bus from Antigua, but youll have to transfer twice and take a tuk-tuk. This tour takes you on a boat with a local guide. In fact, its the best Thai Curry Ive had outside of Thailand! The local fisherman will teach some fishing techniques before you have a go at fishing for yourself. LivingOutLau is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Everything is within walking distance so no need for transport to and from places. You can organize many of the activities mentioned above (like seeing the turtles or a boat tour) through La Choza Chula, a local social enterprise in El Paredon that benefits the community directly. However, I used a day pass at a few of the hotels in the area, which was so much fun! The average high during this season is between 92.8F (33.8C) and 90.2F (32.3C). Described as one of the Top 10 Surf Destinations in the World by The Guardian, this little fishing village is only around 2 hours from the well-known colonial city of Antigua.It boasts some of the most spectacularly unspoilt stretches of black-sand beach, dusty village roads, and endlessly diverse mangrove forests. The only danger in El Paredon is the strong currents that could pull in inexperienced swimmers. Some of the events that happen are beer pong tournaments and trivia nights. Located a little bit more inland than the rest (a 5-minute walk to the beach) it is a nice place to relax and get away from the beachfront party vibes. This is my complete travel guide to El Paredon, Guatemala. Beyond the few hotels and their resturants, there is one conveniece shop, a few tiendas, a few resturants, and thats it. Their mission is to create locally-driven projects that ensure the educational and environmental development of El Paredn and neighbouring communities. The sand is HOT. Many come here to relax, surf, or party as there are honestly not many other choices! 2023 Wander Her Way. ), However, there are several other activities in El Paredon too. Hey, I am Sean Lau! To soak up and immerse ourselves in different languages, cultures, tastes and traditions. But it is further away from Antigua and I decided on El Paredon because it was much less built up and more tranquilo! Also. Go and grab a board from your hostel and start shredding! If you love the beach and surfing, then El Paredon is the perfect place for you. If youre going to walk on the beach, walk along the wet part and run there because the dry sand will scald you on the way. Take a cooking class and learn to make local dishes so you can recreate them at home! All wind speeds are in knots. The least humid month is March (65.2% relative humidity), and the most humid month is October (80.3%). Thinking of traveling from Antigua to El Paredon? We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. It rains or snows a significant amount: 2 to 11 days per month. Looking for more information about traveling in Guatemala? The last option would be to take a taxi or Uber. Some of these days passes even come with drink vouchers. Additionally, they organize tours for all visitors. I couldnt work out which ones were open and when, it was kind of pot luck turning up and seeing if they were open! La Choza Chula offers homestays with local families. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. They are around 3 to 5 feet or larger even. Nina Ragusa is an adventurer, messy bun master, breakfast fan, and full-time travel blogger. Go to a local family home and learn to make the local salad, empanadas and tortillas. Here are the best ways to explore and enjoy this little slice of paradise in Guatemala. If you take a chicken bus, youll need to make multiple transfers or even take tuk-tuks. El Paredon is an off-the-beaten-path destination located about a 2.5 hour drive from Antigua. El Paredon has some very humid months, and above average humidity throughout the year. REMINDER: Never walk around barefoot, the black sand is incredibly hot! Hiking the Famous Acatenango Volcano Near Antigua, Exploring the Nature Park of Hobbitenango, Exploring the Many Hikes Lake Atitlan has to offer, KEEN Durand II Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots, Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Socks, 10 Day Itinerary in Guatemala: The Ideal Route, 3 Week Itinerary in Peru: A Hikers Dream, 3 Week Itinerary in Colombia: A Dream Vacation, The best overall way to travel from Lake Atitlan to El Paredon is by shuttle, This shuttle takes 3 hours and you will have to get off and onto a boat for the last 10 minutes. It is a very safe place to visit but you should always be careful of the street dogs. We did walk around and eat out a couple of times. Its the most affordable way to eat and 2. you get the local experience. Instead, they use a washing line. There arent as many accommodations to choose from in El Paredon as there are other popular tourist attractions in Guatemala. It is possible to go straight from San Pedro La Laguna instead of meeting in Panajachel but this isnt suggested. The weather tends to be extremely hot and humid during March and April, but it cools down after sunset. Be sure to wear shoes as the sand gets extremely hot! Some tours even include classes for you to learn how the locals fish, and youll get the chance to try a new experience on a tranquil part of the mangrove. As you make your way down, you can admire the flora and fauna of the mangroves. World Traveler, Travel Blogger, Photographer. If you want to stay a little longer I would recommend speaking to, If you are a bit of an adventure junky then you could also book a Summit to Surf tour through OX Expeditions. Although it had only just opened and was still a work in progress you can see the potential. You can see turtles feeding year-round in El Paredon (and depending on the season, you might even be able to watch them hatch!) Theres always something going on! If you are looking for a luxurious hotel in El Paredon, then Kaan Surf is the perfect place for you. Explore The Pacific Slope. Local experiences are why we travel! Hammock Living. The owner Garry is really friendly and knows how to make some great food! When he told me it was only 100Q a night I couldnt give him my money quick enough! Our last night was on a Friday and we met multiple people coming from Guatemala City for the weekend. Fall daily highs range from 90.8F (32.7C) and 88.1F (31.2C), which will feel very nice given the humidity and wind. Be sure to check the times with the two shuttle operators (NEWay and 2theOcean) to get the exact schedule. Again, you can STAY at these hotels if you want, then you can get free access, but they are also kind of party places and most offer dorms as the budget accommodation. Copyright 2023 Where in the World is Nina? It is only two hours away from Antigua Guatemala, so you can get there quickly. This small, laidback fishing village is located on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, about two hours from Antigua and three and a half hours from the capital. And What Not To Pack? Wear shoes on the beach. I sat and watch for most of the day from my hammock surfers being thrown around. You will have to transfer busses and then take a tuk-tuk when you get closer to town, This doesnt save that much money and a shuttle is still more cost-effective, If you have a group of people then an uber can be a good choice. The best way to enjoy the lively atmosphere is to book a room with Driftwood Surfer and stay with them. Keep in mind this town is mega small! This means, from November to April. On this tour, you take a little boat into the mangroves with a local guide. If 2020 taught us anything, its that you need to be prepared for anything! Super worth it! Its a place on the verge of becoming part of the tourist trail, things are changing quickly there and new hotels, shops, and restaurants are being built quickly. Dont come here with the wrong idea. See the exact locations of these spots on the Guatemala Google Map Legend. You can book transport in Guatemala with them here and Guatemalan tours with them here. So take my advice if you are going to El Paredon, book to stay at Casa Macano Surf-Yoga! La Choza Chula are a social enterprise and rely on donations/tour bookings to drive their mission another reason to book your adventures here! If I were to go back, I would definitely just take the shuttle from Antigua. With the endless volcanic black sand beach and the consistent waves it is a perfect destination for all types of . The surf here in winter, when the waves are at their best, are of decent size. Is El Paredon Guatemala safe? If you have a few extra days in Guatemala, El Paredon is definitely worth visiting. Keep in mind parties, surf, and chilling in pools are pretty much the main things to do here and not much else. Check this page for any recent changes or regions to avoid: Travel Advice and Advisories. It is the lowest . In this guide, well tell you everything you need to know about this amazing destination, so youll be ready for your visit. Thank you! One of the guys staying in my dorm told me his friend broke his board the day before and so he was mostly bodyboarding because it was too crazy out there. El Paredon may not be at the top of everyones bucket lists for Guatemala but its certainly one of the most beautiful places in Guatemala and, if you have time, I highly recommend checking it out. So if you want to hammock it up along the coast, this is the spot. El Paredon Guatemala surf spot is also suitable for intermediate surfers. This museum, about 2.75km on foot or 5km by vehicle from El Bal hilltop site, comprises a very fine open-air assemblage of Pipil stone sculpture. This tour involves hiking, The Solo Girls Guide To Traveling Without Fear, The Solo Girls Guide To Becoming A Digital Nomad, El Paredon Surfing Where to surf in El Paredon, book transport in Guatemala with them here. 3av 3-25, El Paredon, Sipacate, Escuintla, 05021 Fully refundable Reserve now, pay when you stay $89 per night Feb 20 - Feb 21 0.49 mi from city center Swell Surf & Lifestyle Hotel 1 Avenida, Sipacate, Escuintla $66 per night Feb 20 - Feb 21 0.44 mi from city center 4.7/5 Exceptional! Start your day with some movement and connection to self before the world gets its hands you! However, the beach really comes to life when sunset approaches. Note that we define significant precipitation as .1 inches or more in this section. They have shared rooms and private rooms (no air conditioning though!) If you want a break from all the exciting activities we recommended above, then maybe youll want to just lay down on the black sand and relax for a while. Take a tour with La Choza Chula. There are a few other things to do besides chilling and surfing in El Paredon! This tour involves hiking Volcan Acatenango where you will camp for the night then when you arrive back in Antigua they will organize all of your transport and accommodation as well as your surf lessons. Relax on the beach in El Paredon, cruise serene Lake Atitln, and visit one of Central America's . The only company I recommend for booking transport and tours in Guatemala (other than the individuals and companies I have named) is GuateGo. One of the most exciting attractions in El Paredon is the nearby mangroves in Sipacate Naranjo National Park. June August is fairly slow season for tourism in El Paredon, so lodging and other accommodations may cost slightly less. Founder of Wheres Mollie / We Are Global Travellers, content creator, photographer and videographer. So dont expect too much in terms of anything really! Where are your favourite things to do in El Paredon, Guatemala? Remember, they have a bit more of a party vibe going on, though, so as long as you know that and thats what you want, youll be right there in the action. Again you can opt for a dorm room, beach shack or private room! Many visitors will flock towards the sand to try to catch the last light of the day. Many people will flock to Antigua, Lake Atitlan, or the Mayan ruins. Just 60 meters away from the beach, you can run to the waves straight from your villa's doorstep. Day passes are available if you want to use their pool and arent a guest. By contrast, its most likely to rain or snow in early to mid October with an average of 3 days of significant precipitation the week of October 8th. Youll explore deep into the mangrove and see all the different species living there whilst learning about the importance of mangroves here in El Paredon. Youll drive past lots of birds (some of which are migrating up north to Alaska or some that are migrating down south) as pass the mouth to the ocean and then head to a place where turtles have been living for hundreds of years. After being turned away by most of the other places in El Paredon who werent very helpful at all this place was a breath of fresh air. The tranquil town of El Paredon is the perfect place for surfers and lovers of the ocean. Monterrico is the more popular Guatemalan beach choice, as its much more built up, with more choice of places to stay. Wind in El Paredon is usually extremely calm. The middle-year months have very comfortable weather with high temperatures that are quite warm. About 10 days before I visited El Paredon, there seemed to be reasonable availability on Airbnb / Booking.com but 6 days before? They also offer homestays, cooking classes, and more. El Paredon in Guatemala is something I didnt expect when visiting here. Travel insurance has always been high my list of things to get before I travel but now more than ever its at the top of my list. If there are particular food or snacks you wish to bring with you, make sure you purchase them before your stay in El Paredon. You wont find any sight like it anywhere else. You cant come to the beach and not have a beach day. I did the homework, so you dont have to. Jokes aside - El Paredon is pretty safe. Considering humidity, temperatures feel hot all year with a fair chance of precipitation about half of the year.