Try playing All Right Now without the bass. Common wisdom holds that the bass player is the quiet one in a band, playing essential parts of a song that you dont necessarily notice. Kim Deal? She is very high on my list as well. He has also appeared in a recurring role on the TV series Veep and New Girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFiCvB2GOs. These list are so subjective and personal to the music of the listener. Chris White (Zombies) Nelson Franklin became well-known to the public thanks to his role in the popular sitcom The Office. Cece and Robby previously dated, but they broke up because she still had feelings for her then ex-boyfriend, Schmidt. Lists like this are always lacking and shortsighted. metal cat battle cats; reddit alternative ruqqus; noel pagan wife; columbia psychiatry residency reddit; axa 403b rating; hilton garden inn kitty hawk restaurant menu. ?No way.Not in the best 100 either.Chris Squire is the best one followed by Paul Mac Cartney. I also agree that Jack Casady is a glaring omission, and people seem to be underrating Paul McCartneys contributions just because of his high profile as a Pop musician. Francis Rocco Prestia from Tower of Power Mike, Listen to the live Dont do It from Rock of Ages. Be aware they do this on purpose.Jack Bruce, John Entwistle and Paul McCartney in the same eval tells you all you need to knowfick em, this is bullshit. Hes not even top 500 base players in the world. Victor Wooten is arguably the most technically accomplished of any living bass player on this list. James Jamersons less-celebrated Motown successor deserves inclusion here. He has also appeared in a recurring role on the TV series Veep and New Girl. There is one great Bass player omitted, that being session bassist, Carol Kaye!!! https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/free-seed-on-soho-ep-10/. Nobody mentioned Andy West of the Dixie Dregs Until now? A little nod to a great bassist Gordon Rawley from Striffe, Razorback, and Nightwing. Elke 15 minuten vers uit de oven. Both of the bands Dave Pegg played in, Fairport Convention and Jethro Tull, have a history of remarkable bassists (take a bow, Ashley Hutchings and the late Glenn Cornick). They would totally shred many of the rock players listed. Sheehan cant swing, and he is too much of a stylist. He once saved Elon Musk's life. For a good essay on his career see http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/paulbass.htm. Hes been the rock solid backbone of the best rock band of the last 30 years, yet he gets zero recognition. The greatest ever bassist was without a doubt the man who made Chicago Blues and much morethe great Willie Dixon. tony reeves greenslade was a good classy bass player. This list is skewed to havor hard rock and metal. About as credible as the Rolling Stones top 100 Guitar Players lists. Give me a break. Ronald LaPread from the Commodores shouldve got in there, Brick House was his finest hour!!! Pretty versatile. I spelled bass wrong, I said base, but I thing you get what I meant. Most of the players on the list would rate Jaco Pastorius at the top of the list. Though he was a big guy, you could barely see the Ducks fingers move on the strings, even when he was playing with rockers like Neil Young or Eric Clapton. True! Woodstock, The man deserves an award for keeping up with the late great Alvin Lee. As the frontman and bassist in Primus, Claypool is responsible for bringing the groove to thrash metal and alt.rock with his infamous Rainbow bass and forming more side projects than humanly possible, most notably with Police drummer Stewart Copeland and Phish frontman Trey Anastasio for the supergroup Oysterhead. Nobody has a resume like Leland Sklar! However I do not think his tone and sound has aged very well. Alex Webster-Cannibal Corpse When they went increasingly world music it went even better. Popular and greatest are not the same thing. A guy you dont hear much about. Otherwise, a good list. No Maurice Gibb of the BeeGees? In Menzies, Cece takes issue with being called a 'nice girl' by Robby. One of a kind and not in the list ?? And he never even wanted to be the baseplayer! Pumping all the way through, the perfect bass player for a four piece. McCartney was a great song writer and singer, but cant think of anything in his music that screams Great Bass Player. Strange, no rocco, no jimmy johnson, no tab martin , no gary willis, no colin hodgkinson, no pierre michelot no latin players no Verdine White is not only The Best and BADEST Bass Player he is also a the CONSUMMATE ENTERTAINER. Why would anybody, much less, any bass player exclude or forget to include Robert Gordon of Gil Scott-Herons Band or evan other expanding firsts type players, such as Dave Pegg or any of the Progressive Rock Gentle Giant Bass Players i.e. And his one appearance with Jimi Hendrix on Voodoo Child answers the question, What if Hendrix had played with a bassist who was better than just alright?. Peter Mars Cowling could teach em all. Casady, Geddy Lee, the guy from Van Halenmeh! Andy Fraser (Free). Dudes, Percy Jones of Brand X ?? Chris Squire, etc, of course, was a better bass player. he is a killer bass player, endlessly inventive, driving,and creates killer sophisticated grooves. OK all you young people Where is JET HARRIS ??? John Greaves? Much can be said about Ian Anderson, but he always brings the best musicians. No Ron Carter or Jack Casady? Perpetually overlooked in Genesis, Mike Rutherford came up with one of progs most lyrical basslines on In That Quiet Earth, from their Wind & Wuthering album. N Shes the luckiest girl in the world. Good choice. Where is Paul Chambers? Next time Eight Miles High crops up on your oldies station stop and take a listen. Not completely legit list. He had some of the most complex, melodic basslines ever. I think the voting is a popularity contest more than anything to do with talent. dpd lost parcel investigation el camino for sale tampa dpd lost parcel investigation dpd lost parcel investigation Jamerson at 19? st helens rugby vaccination centre phone number; palo alto load shared objects Wheres Mel Schaher? Why isnt Mark King from Level 42 on this list?!! He should be close to the top! He also scored a number of 70s hits with his brother George as part of The Brothers Johnson. theodore barrett press secretary car accident; jason robertson parents. What about the bombastic bass playing on what I consider to be one of the most energetic live albums ever, Grand Funk Live Album, witch features Mel Schacher on bass? GERRY MCAVOY, from the Rory Gallagher Band has to be there. ", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nelson_Franklin&oldid=1136099474, Episodes: "A New Start", "Premature Independence", This page was last edited on 28 January 2023, at 19:01. Please proceed to have conniptions and hissy fits to your hearts content. 2.) This list does not include Prince and is therefore complete garbage, un grand oubli; Felix Pappalardi (Cream Montain), Gary Thain, Greg Lake & Peter Cetera should be on the list. Lesh was more a catapult to parts further out. Youre telling me that Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke didnt make the top 10, and paul mc cartney is #1, Yeah its almost funny its like comapring well lets say me with Ludwig Van Beethoven I know Jaco is great. top 3 minimum. I am not not a huge Van Halen fan, but a passive fan. Willie Dixon is so renowned as a songwriter that his importance as one of the best bassists of all time often gets overlooked. Surprised that Noel Redding isnt on the list. Yeah, Jack Casady should not only be on the list, but should be very high on the list. Agree 100%. As part of Elvis original trio (which didnt include drums during the Sun Records stage), Bill Black brought the essential cool of a slapback bass into 50s rocknroll. Pooooooooor!!! Nadia and Robby dated and then broke up when Nadia flipped a table and walked out on their date. To me you forgot two icons. peter green -Fleetwood Mac (1967. you mean Mel Schaeffer with Don Brewer and Mark Farner. Fact Check: We strive for accuracy and fairness. Just listen to his workout on Johns I Want You (Shes So Heavy) from Abbey Road. .. Cant believe John Deacon (Queen) was missed.Another one Bites the Dust, Under Pressurewas missed!!! He served in the U.S. Air Force before becoming a disc jockey in Texas, Oregon, and California during the 1950s. Dig Lil Abner! Greg Lake Probably not the first bass player to record a side-long bass solo (on Return to Forevers 1978 live album) but perhaps the first to perform one youd want to hear twice. Another poll typically aimed at those under forty who have no clue about real music just noise. Dave Allen Gang of Four Crazy funky driving bass. Many good suggestions below, but I agree Herbie Flowers must not be omitted. During his solo career, did/does McCartney still play the bass guitar or did/does he play lead for his songs, I wonder? How about Fernando Saunders who played lead bass (no other way to describe it) with Lou Reeds band? Good Times (Used by rappers in Raps infancy). OK .. WHERE ARE MICHEAL ANTHONY (VAN HALEN) AND GENE SIMMONS (KISS) ????? On my list I would slot in Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper Band in top 20. To put Stanley Clarke at 17?! Still 50% is a FAIL! He is the gold standard, and has been since the late 70s. Thats short hand for if you dont get it, you suck. Jack should be number one if the Jazz players like Jaco werent on there. Without him Free would only have been Rodgers voice alongside Kossoff at his best. He was one of the funniest parts of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World as the. 1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eBooks. Stanley Clarke was a bass virtuoso with a canny sense of riffs and grooves, plus a few great tricks like that finger-strum trademark. I guess it all depends on what the individual wants in music, and what they actually hear. I personally would have Jonas Hellborg up there with Wooten, and he is not even on the list. He writes most if not all Lyrics, most tunes, Self taught, Creates the claymation videos, Lead Singer and makes the bass the primary instrumental. Franklin D. Roosevelt. I love, love, love Kim Gordon and Tina Weymouth but neither of these ladies belongs on this list of top 200 bassists let alone top 50. Mark King of Level 42 is a virtuoso on bass Glenn Cornick Might want to consider flipping Bernard Edwards of CHIC with Flea. Jaco should be in first place. Save 30% on Your First or Next Order with Code "YTFIRST30" and Download our FREE beginner bass guitar course to learn how to play bass guitar quickly and eas. Just repeat this sentence if you can. Jaco only made #12? Nelson Franklin Net Worth Stats endwalker timed nodes; mill for removing water from low-lying land; will walking during pregnancy help lose weight Originally a guitatarist he was an amazingly fast and lyrical bassist for King Crimson and ELP! I dont think Paul McCartney could ever outplay those guys, not just Paul, hes just an example but mostly all of them who are placed in top ten. Nelson learned to play guitar from his grandfather and at the age of 10 was performing at local dances. for those of you in the UK, Dalton and Rodford still are Active in the Kast-off Kinks. Cmon! Alex Webster-Cannibal Corpse Franklin attended high school at Campbell Hall School in Studio City, California. He should be in the top 25 at the very least. Gary Thain was a monster with Heep. I saw them both in concert three times and never was less than amazed! Well, gee exactlythis is marketing bull shit. He was key to Chess Records electric blues sound, playing on many of the Muddy Waters classics he wrote, not to mention the most seminal Chuck Berry tracks. Tim Bogert Menu and widgets To that add The Word, And Your Bird Can Sing, and the his masterpiece of the style TAXMAN. Always overlooked in these polls Eric Averynot mainstream so does not get a mention.but best ever dynamic driving bass player ever. No electronica players? There are several Beatle songs when George Harrison just couldnt keep up with what was neededand McCartney nailed it on the first try. Robby McFerrin is a recurring character on FOX comedy New Girl. Good call on Steve Harris he is the driving force behind the true Gods of metal music. Nelson Franklin is an American actor best known for his television roles in The Millers, Traffic Light, The Office, New Girl, Black-ish, and Veep. 7.) To your argument, any list excluding John McVie, in my opinion, is not valid. His playing is not about tricks, its about great melody in bassline, creative rhythm patterns and so smart arrangement. DANE ALDERSON from the YELLOW JACKETS?!! He invented the 6 strings bass, played on more than 500 albums, wrote incredible bass lines (The Suitcase), played all his life with the best and i cant see his name. Wow, you certainly hit a few sore spots with some individuals. Flea? Spellcheck does NOT know bass players! My dog plays bass better than Simon Gallup. Respectfully, youre insane. Tim Bogart is undoubtedly the greatest I ever heard live. Another bass player you might have missed because the genre he plays gospel music Abraham Laboriel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHYy3f93uo. Jack Casady being omitted is pretty glaring, Mel Schacher Hagar to Haggard, Steven Curtis Chapman to Warren Zevon, Engelbert Humperdinck to C-S-N & Y. Tom Fowler (from Zappas bands in the early to mid-Seventies), Alphonso Johnson, Robbie Shakespeare, Ralphe Armstrong (Jean-Luc Ponty & post-Rick Laird Mahavishnu) and Jimmy Garrison (Coltranes classic quartet, nuff said) also merit inclusion on this list. Paul McCartney made a trademark out of the supple, lyrical bassline more than any rock player before or since, and thats on Paperback Writer alone. Duck Dunn near 50? worker on The Office between 2008 and 2010. Pete Quaife of The Kinks should be there, as should John McVie of Fleetwood Mac. Give the Schools Out album (and others) a listen for some of the best rock bass work ever! An unforgettable sight, and a sweet memory 40-some years later). Then, Friday - Watch the whole interview at 1pm on Arizona Midday. Please. Great singer tooI played with him on gigs and recordings toomaybe not as famous as above..but there are great unknowns too..check out Yellow Balloon, Devil Rides Out, Youre in LifeI played many USA bases with Glyna pia no/ bass duo.rock, heavy metal, classic, pop, funk, jazz.whatever I played..Glyn was therehad the yanks stomping.halcyon days! You can see how prominent his playing is; Outside of the angelic voiced Annie Haslem, Jon Camp is the only other player out front. Doug Rauch. Check out his solo around the 2:17 mark of this terrific live video: http://youtu.be/LwFR5fjs8m4, Jack is still kickin it big time check out White Rabbit @ 21:42, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4vzWmDuKg, What about the Queen of Rock SUZI QUATRO!!!! He worked as a studio musician, earning a gold record for playing bass on a Santana album while still in high school. Get official Willie Nelson news on tour dates, music, buy tees, bar glasses, 420 accessories, plus more. nied by bass fiddle and drum, will be premiered Thursday, February 7, at 6:15 p.m., over WRC. The actor is married to Georgia Mischak, his starsign is Cancer and he is now 37 years of age. Chris Squire? Nelson Franklin is an American actor best known for his television roles in The Millers, Traffic Light, The Office, New Girl, Black-ish, and Veep . The man who influenced most on the list inc McCartney, Flea and Entwistle. Very emotional bass lines as well, and an innovator. Mule Listen to the song Angel Eyes the ending in particular is AWSOME. This list needs to be updated to include Thundercat! Notice much lower on the list you have some very professionally oriented bassists like Mike Rutherford, not to speak of Pino Palladino a little higher up, buried, and very distinct, enjoyable bassists like Tina Weymouth as well. Missing: Peter Overend Watts by Mott The Hoople, Gene Simmons by Kiss, Trevor Bolder by Spiders from Mars, Raf Benson by Latoscuro, Faso by Elio e le storie Tese, And many others. I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!!