Some additional comments from this Newfietry adding some turkey dressing to your poutine. Its name comes from the Loon (a bird) on the Tails side of the coin. Ah interesting. For those of us non-affluent hosers, we have to settle for the ever-popular above-grounder that sticks up a few feet and has no true foundation or base. In Canada, our liquor stores are government-run and cannot be in grocery stores. If youre 1, then its sort of a letdown. If not, make sure to show your partner that you appreciate their time by sending them a thank-you note. I don't think I've ever used the word myself, but "chesterfield" for couch. Generally speaking, these are Canadian slang terms used across the country. When I hear cone I think of an icecream cone. Thanks k.c. . A Canadian Moment, Tuque, Beer, Winter????? Many affluent Canadians love their swimming pools. Thanks for the input. The following is a list of colloquial terms and expressions used in the Canadian Armed Forces . Check out these quirky Canadian town names. Colorful Biker Slang. And another one is parkade for a parking deck. If youre concerned about that expanding gut of yours, many restaurants offer a healthier, vegetarian gravy substitute. Starlight, star bright, why the f**k you got earrings on? If wikiHow has helped you, please consider a small contribution to support us in helping more readers like you. You can always identify a Canadian by the way they use the word University. When I see toque, it makes me think that it is pronounced more like Toke, or took. Canadians will be agreeing with you, but they say yeah, no. This refers to the oil industries in Alberta. Everyone in Canada knows this, which is why its so frustrating when people around the world dont seem to realize that our home isnt simply the 51st state of the U.S. Their confusion is somewhat understandable: Canada and the U.S. are such strong allies and many Canadian celebrities hop the border to find success in Hollywood. Use it to try out great new products and services nationwide without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing and more. Perhaps you could offer cross-cultural courses around the world for Canadian companies . 2 0 obj Unless you're actually trying to deliver a Canadian insult, there's only one thing you say when someone bumps into you, and that's "Sorry.". And if you're really in the . I am going to Timmies to grab a box of timbits and a large Double Double. That is what you say when leave the house to order an assortment of tasty doughnut centres and an oversized cup of coffee with two creams and two sugars at Tim Horton Doughnuts. We couldnt exactly call it a dollar bill anymore, and a dollar coin just didnt roll off of the tongue. It's another term of endearment. Maybe that is a Canadian phrase and I didnt even realize it . Get the hottest stories from the largest news site in Nigeria. Canada has two official languages, English and French, and a third unofficial one: Canadian slang. I mean, why on earth is it nearly 40C every single day?? I think its fascinating how terms develop and change over time and across borders. Fire Hall I guess other people may call it a fire station but Im not sure. Refers to the island itself and not Labrador. The things you learn on a travel blog:). , We only got one shot at this. To learn more, like how to use online resources to practice Canadian slang, read on! As far as Hoser goes, that is definitely a Canadian influence spreading. Thanks Candice, I am going to start using By. Or the UK. They are discussed in a separate chapter because they have their own usage and inflection. Be the first to get hottest news from our Editor-in-Chief, Check your email and confirm your subscription. After familiarizing yourself with the actual slang terms, practice speaking and listening to those terms until they come more naturally to you. Its basically just a hoodie! You are so right. A Molson Muscle refers to a beer belly, typically acquired by drinking too much Molson beer. Cockney Translator. Can you think of any other Canadian sayingsthat are unique to your region or the country? Eh This is our most popular Canadian saying that we receive the most flack about from the rest of the world. It might be a Britishism but its also Canadian. "Canuck, that very same term of endearment Canadians use now," was used by racist southern Americans to insult French Canadians with dark skins, said Stefan Dollinger, editor in chief of Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical Principles. Having worked in NYC, I was surprised how many unique Canadian words and references exist. Why not use these resources that are tried and tested by yours truly. Commonly shortened to hali. Although the term we use most often is sorry, Im not sorry for the changes I made. Hi, I came across the word elastic. 280 ladies -Sailors serving on Iroquois Class Destroyers (280,281,282,283 Hull numbers) (Ladies due to the 280s being the first ships not to have urinals) 5 by 5 Loud and clear, everything is working 100% (only . Some have a French Canadian influence. Grits are members of the Liberal party of Canada. When in the states, I was needing some elastics and we had quite a time trying to explain what an elastic is. im fluent in English & french. Where I grew up, the kids played Hide and Go, not Hide and Seek. In Saskatchewan, people call hoodies bunnyhugs. It is very typical for a Canadian to say I need to use the can in reference to washroom. Below are some of the best sayings from the show, including popular Letterkenny hockey quotes that you will definitely identify with. And then I started traveling. "Cuzo". See you next time and happy Canada day, eh? A sourdough is a permanent resident of the Yukon who has lived there for all four seasons. We have a commercial where the announcer asks, How do you like your coffee? Naturally, we like our coffee crisp. I didnt know that Americans didnt call it a Pilon. To chirp someone is to verbally tease them in a mean or aggressive way. I forgot all about the word pop Americans call it soda and that just sounds strange to we Canadians. I regret nothing! Ah, but youre wrong on one count we also call it a washroom in the U.S., at least where I grew up in the Midwest. Theyll love it. I think pilon is a Canadian word. Not soda! 3) Place where snow may fall in the Summer. Cant go to work if you dont have a crummy! However, there is no real geographic boundary of usage. Plus, it is the most beautiful country. Nina Out and About contains affiliate links and is a member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Epic Trips are deeply immersive 8 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and enough down time to really relax and soak it all in. Canadians have come up with a variety of nicknames for the provinces, cities, and towns we live in. If you are trying to learn a few adult Canadian slang words, then this would be a great show to catch every time it airs. Wizard Is used as an adjective here in Canada, and I saw a movie where someones neibour commented, thats wizard, like he was saying that it was cool. Hey guys! Turn left (Larry) or right (Roger). We say it more like A-boat. Thanks for the additions. Canada has free healthcare but its only for citizens! Now you can use it to deke out of a meeting or deke around traffic through shortcuts. Tuque is the French spelling but the English have adopted Toque and even Touque. Its funny how something so commonplace to us became such an ordeal to figure out. Fun fact: KD is our most consumed product in Canada, even beating out maple syrup! Northern slang for frozen whale skin and blubber. Canuck / knk / is a slang term for a Canadian. Deep fried pickles eh, that is one that I have not tried, it is amazing what you can learn from people visiting your own country. It has no relation to their actual appearance. Its a military short form that weve adopted as a country. Ive never heard a Canadian use this phrase. When our one-dollar coin came out in the early nineties. How about hoser from the MacKenzie brothers? Some women enjoy the term and self-identify as puck bunnies (especially wives of famous hockey players). He was a town blacksmith, along with his father William, in Van Kleek Hill, and continued the trade here in Manlius, when they emigrated in the 40s. My Mom would look at my dishevelled hair when I woke up, and shed say to me I looked like the Wreck of the Hesperus a ship that was mentioned in a poem. They come in a variety of flavours and are sold individually or by the box. Habs fans are everywhere and theres nothing funny about the most storied team in NHL history. Let us know which one of these surprised you the most. People must be pretty confused when we tell them: A Coffee Crisp costs about a Loonie, pretty good deal eh? Or, Id like a dozen Timbits with a large double double please. What on earth does that mean? I always say Zed Zed Top & La-Zed-Boy just so people realise how silly it is to make zee rhyme with vee in the alphabet!! And that is why everyone wore leather in Alberta. For Paint Protection Film quotes, please include a picture of your vehicle in an e-mail with the Year, Make and Model and indicate which areas of coverage you would like to receive. Ahhha! The Edge from U2 often wears a tuque, and Jacques Cousteau always wore a tuque. Keener. To use these services you will need a computer and a microphone. If youd like to learn more, do some research on regional slang or hang out with some fun Canadians (like me!) Also, I have to disagree on the smartiesthey had these abroad and I wasnt overly impressed, Ill take my M&Ms!!! They find it hilarious for reasons I cant quite figure out. We get a lot of flack due to the fact that were drinking Miller in the photograph:), and idk of candians pronouce it the same way but in northern us. I dispute this being a Canadian-only term I think its just fancier than what Americans usually use. And hoser is a popular one as well. However, older generations sometimes call U.S. residents Yankees.. If inviting someone to come dine with you, whats the funniest way to say it Canadian, I have no idea about that one. See on Instagram. This post is hilarious. And Canadian company Ganong claims to have invented to chocolate bar,so I think that give our name precedence, dont you? I have some friends from Newfoundland, so I think that I can hear the accent as I am thinking about how to say it:) Nice! Recommended for you "Just licking the flavour": Concerned dad shouts after catching his little. Of course, every country has the term beauty or some form of it. It comes from the gold rush days when people had to live through harsh winters. Chesterfield! By the great horned spoon, youve grown so tall! and see what you pick up. <> Toronto. The specific Canadian slang terms vary from region to region with some slang being used universally across Canada. Ok, maybe not the kindest but were pretty polite. This will help you sound more Canadian. We are learning so much. Weve experienced winter in Alberta and trust me, its cold. He poked me in the eye. Hi Virey, I am not sure what that means, Id have to see more of the poem in context. , Closest youre gettin to any action this weekend is givin the dairy cows t**ts a good scrubbin. Cool 1970s Slang. The word pop to refer to what we know as soft drinks is traceable back to Faygo, a Detroit, Michigan company. The other ones arent ringing a bell though, Im afraid. The Canadian definition of keener was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2015. toronto slang insults. I dont know two-six, what is it used for. Ive literally never heard anyone outside of American television use this term. Common UK Expressions. Whereas in Canada, we would call ourselves a Grade 12 or Grade 10 student. Drinking Miller you pussy!!!!! A Mountie is a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). I do love my Tim Hortons Doughnuts! Interesting. They didnt have Gortex then. Not all Canadians use it but Ive only ever heard Canadians say it. I should have put that in. The origins of the word are uncertain. It doesnt have the same zing when singing the alphabet song, but we do stick with zed. Just want to say your article is as amazing. They all said cone. yes, I think that Dante may have thought this was about words in general, which is ok with us. Means chocolate milk in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Find Apartment Rentals: You will find the cheapest prices on apartment rentals with VRBO. Just to confuse the issue further, in America they have candies called Smarties, but they are what we call Rockets in Canada those sourish compressed sugar discs that come in rolls. You may have noticed I just snuck in an apology above. You have probably heard the following phrases if you are a regular. A kerfuffle is a commotion or fuss. She explains the diphthong differences eloquently here. They are usually brightly painted and have quite a low seat with a very high back and thick arms. (oops, maybe the French use them, too?). However, I sure have heard this in Burrrrtaa (Alberta)! Joggers used to mean sweatpants. This is a BC-specific term that means impressive or exceptional. Yeah, we blame my brother, that is all he had in the house:). It can be used for assignments, your beer, or anything else youre trying to finish. I have friends in Ukraine who use college to mean they have a two-year (Associate) degree and university to mean they have a four-year (Bachelor) degree I think thats the norm for the FSU counties. Quebec is the only place in North America where Pepsi has traditionally outsold Coke. This is our phrase we use when we go to buy beer at the beer store. word as canadas greeting. I dont know why we broke away from the two places that we get a lot of our language, but its sort of a fun rebellion on our part. Smarties were introduced by Rowntree of York in 1882. Bet your lobes aint the only thing that got a hole punched in em. Thats cool Mel, I didnt realize that it was called pop in Kansas. If you dont expect it, its weird to see homo milk laid out in an aisle of the grocery story. Goof. And yeah, pop! Excellent suggestions! No matter where you live, slang affects the English language in fascinating ways. Tim Hortons is mediocre coffee that we are all mysteriously addicted to. Fun article but many manyof the claims in the comments are not solely Canadian. This is one of my favourite terms, more so now that I know its Canadian specific. Pop is a Canadian thing and everyone else says soda. Its not the original any longer. A living room (sometimes called a sitting room) is more formal, for entertaining guests; a family room is for only the family (more private or relaxed); a den is a smallish room, usually with comfortable sitting chairs, a desk, book shelves, and maybe a fireplace. This term is starting to gain traction in Ontario, but its got its roots in the East Coast. To understand Canadian slang, you'll need to learn phrases used across the country such as "Eh?" Some even combine words for super-swears: os-ti tah-bar-nac or ka-lees tah-bar-nac. Americans looking to take a trip across their country's northern border might find themselves bewildered by some Canadian turns of phrase. All these phrases start somewhere (sometimes, like good ideas, they might pop up simultaneously in a population pressed by the same daily stresses), one of my own concoctions was slender vittles for tall lanky women. It's similar to ' white trash ,' poor people in the USA. Thanks for the information Zach. Montreal Canadiens insults, on the other hand, can get you in trouble whether you're in Beaver Creek, Yukon, or Blackhead, Newfoundland. Test your knowledge with my Canada Day Quiz, Fly to Canada for less with Skyscanner [ad]. The hat is an "ushanka" and the beer from the US. You know? He had never heard that expression before! . 7. So lets dive in to learn the most popular Canadian slang words! Practicing Canadian Slang Download Article 1 Find a language buddy online. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 1,101,656 times. That would be giving someone his or her "due.". You can have the alcohol of your choice, drink it fast or slow, but your lips must touch the toe. Amazing Tombstone quotes from an underrated movie classic. Shaded provisions are not in force. Just be sure you dont put any stink on the word; as annoyed as you might be, its important to say sorry without sounding like youre trying to start something. . However, some other countries do (check here!). Help me move Canada forward by spreading these more positive slang terms (even buckle bunny as many women use it in an empowering way or own the stereotype). In Ontario we say ( use guys) meaning (you guys). Note: this is not to be confused with May two-four (24) weekend, which is a holiday in Canada. Is there a way to write it phonetically? they were described as chocolate beans. I am going to get a 2-4 of Canadian at the Beer Store, do you want anything?, Yes, we buy our beer at the Beer Store in Canada and a box of 24 beers is simply shortened to the words two four.. Along with learning slang words used by all Canadians, try picking up some regional slang, like takitish, which is used by Central Canadians to say see you later. To learn more, like how to use online resources to practice Canadian slang, read on! I recommend World Nomads starting at just $5 a day! , F**k you, Jonesy! Just a tad, you you like some dessert? Nade: Canadians: Shortened form of "Canadian." Nades is a 2v1 game of tennis. , Well, Id say give your balls a tug, but it looks like yer pants are doin it for ya. It might be I go to the U of R. Foolscap is used in Canada but not the US. When I first started traveling 10 years ago, I said to myself, Well, I better buy a new knapsack to carry everything.. 2. ), and will also say that Ive brought Poutine to Australia, and they dig it here. I was told by an Aussie that they never correct us because they can figure out what we mean, but to them its a toilet. Americans often make fun of Canadians for saying aboot rather than about. Close, but we actually pronounce it aboat., yep, my dad says clicks all the time living room anyone? wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Take off and tuques were perfectly normal. I learned a lot from you. 10 yr. ago. Hi Candice, Thanks for the Newfoundland words. For the Maritimes, the rest of the country is out west. In my four years in Nova Scotia, my accent changed and my vocabulary widened. We would love to have you in Canada:-), PS, the former name of Toronto is Hogtown and not Motown. [5] 82% of Canadians outside the province of Quebec reported speaking English natively, but with in Quebec the figure was just 7.7% as most of its residents are native speakers of Quebec French. We dont have a lot of free WIFI in Canada, so youll need your phone for maps. Hi John, We call our dinner supper a lot as well. Since it is pronounced tewk we like spelling it the French way since it looks more like the way it is pronounced. Good one! Canadian Slang, Unique Phrases and Canadian Sayings, Strange and Funny names of Canadian Cities, Great Things to do in Borneo Malaysias Wild Jungle Island, Interview with World Travelers, Uncornered Market, Three-line book review: Stardust Neil Gaiman. Anyways . I now use the term Backpack more often but I havent been able to say the term Rucksack, it is just odd to me. In America, Soda is more prevalent in the West Coast and the Eastern Seaboard. By using our site, you agree to our. I didnt think that they made those anymore! Mmm Yummy. Nobody can do without their Timmies. They are the Canadian version of the FBI and deal with a lot of serious crimes. I was fascinated to learn how differently people speak a province over or a few cities north. You should also study words for uniquely Canadian items, such as loonie, for a Canadian one-dollar coin that has a loon on it. I think all we say is would you like to go out to dinner? Shoresy is one of the most popular characters in the show known for saying hilarious things. Im going to use a few of these phrases for my school international fair! If you make a purchase using one of these Amazon links, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. I am thinking that perhaps it is a uniform? Farmers Tan a tan that stops just below your shoulder due to wearing t-shirts too much. Its only when you leave the country and try to convince your British friends that kitty-corner is a real term or your American friends beg you to say out and about again that you really notice it. For hostels, I use Hostel World. And lets not forget donairs! Whether youre visiting Toronto or exploring the Yukon, these colloquial terms are recognized everywhere. Be careful before you utter a disparaging remark about a hockey player or team in Canadaa seemingly innocent comment can quickly turn into one of the most offensive Canadian insults. When we were in Virginia a few years ago I asked our host as we were reading the daily newspaper if I could see the funnies. I wonder if that has any correlation to the size of my waistline. Fortunately, no, it is not over. F**k you, Jonesy, your life is so pathetic I get a charity tax break just by hanging around you! It has a picture of a Loon on it. I learned today on the CBC that it is an Inuit word for The snow that melts. What a Chinook is, is a warm wind that comes over the mountain in the dead of winter and instantly melts the snow and raises the temperature. They call them rubber bands! Fly means something is over the top or extravagant. If you are one of those people who get adult jokes, then this should be a show you purpose to watch, especially because it is relatable and easy to identify with all the characters. How a Soft Drink Became Quebec's Homegrown Insult. Yes, not D.C. . , You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there, and youve seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends. If someone is on unemployment, they are on pogey. I had heard this word as a child. Another word we use here in Alberta is vendors. What about the old Zed and Zee. My North Carolinan brother in law calls a toque a toboggan (pronounced tow-boggan) and it cracks up up every time. We love our hockey almost as much as we love our Timmies. I remember chesterfield from my early childhood in the 70s. Looking to book your next trip? This is our most popular Canadian sayingthat we receive the most flack about from the rest of the world. This show would best be recommended for adults only because of the content. When I made statements like Its cold tonight, I should have packed my tuque, People looked at me like I was from another planet. Canadians call our Candy Bars Chocolate Bars and I like it like that. When Canadians use the word Poke it means just that. By far the silliest word for currency on the planet is the name of the Canadian dollar coin. Welcome back my channel! Where in the US, we would say, Hey guys! They are changing to convenience stores, but in small town Alberta you will still see a Confectionary store. Our favourite holiday is Queen Victorias Birthday on May 24th. But if you really want to delve into the reasoning for the difference. Yeah, No A term meaning they agree with you, even if no can be confusing. I use the word Parkette too and didnt know it was from Ontario, our home Province. Using an American product is very Canadian. Toronto. Its basically two loonies, so we came up with toonie. Memorable Criminal Minds quotes fans of the show will recognise. Its a very old term that has mostly fallen out of fashion. No waywe ended up calling it a Toonie, because Toonie rhymes with Loonie, and we Canadians like things that rhyme. The Rock for Vancouver Island, as in Im getting off The Rock this weekend.. A term for an anglophone in Quebec. I cant say Ive heard the phrase while I lived in the US west coast. . How Slang Affects the English Language. Write by: . I didnt know that there was an American Smarties. References. In the US, youd never use the word this way. Travel Insurance: Don't leave home without it. Although Newfoundland isnt technically a Maritime province because it joined Canada after the Maritime treaty, it tends to be included. But when an American pronounces those words, there is a huge difference. A toque is a knit winter hat like a beanie. Get some good Canadian beer and then think about calling yourself a Canadian man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Captured below are some of the most popular quotes that will make you smile. A popular sugar-coated chocolate confectionery available in Europe and the Commonwealth of Nations but not the USA. Its similar to a very Malaysian word lah which we add to everything we say. The term comes from the French les habitants, but I guess we decided thats too long and shortened it. It softens the expression and instead of it sounding like a command, it becomes more like a persuasion. " /~(]|sc9g][:pE;7>7DKP=K 0q)nV:'tNip*lK2n`s?mu&x{yO5 My friend asked me Whats that? POPi dunno if this is accurate but i notice most americans and ppl from other countries call it sodaPOP! All Canadians know that we have a vast northern landscape, but hardly any of us actually visit it. BTWI use the term washroom all the time, Really enjoyed your blog about the slang of Canada. Despite its obvious similarities to the word "cousin," this phrase is more general. Newfoundland. Pepsi: French Canadians: Empty from the neck up. Privacy Policy. I didnt know that garburator was Canadian or till, or writing exams. Thats not to say we dont have our own unique way of speaking, its just that were a lot more Wayne Gretzky than Doug Mackenzie. Thats interesting eh? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Tell us some words unique to your country, we want to hear them. Hopefully that is a sign that we are moving away from this negative language and moving towards more positive, inclusive terms that are fun for all like bunnyhug! Join 10,000 others who get our weekly emails! Youve given me some homework. Ill respectfully disagree. Its usually screamed, which is why its abbreviated. So I am going to give you a quick lesson on how to use the word eh. Distinctly Canadian words: Jagged pronounced JAGD as in tagged. Most Americans just lines, Very true, we have definitely heard the term chesterfield a lot. Police arrest 16 suspects for committing electoral offences during 2023 presiden Trouble for INEC staff who violated Electoral Act during presidential polls as chairman announces punishment, Police arrest 16 suspects for committing electoral offences during 2023 presidential poll in south south state, Labour Party denies political alliance with PDP ahead of 2023 governorship election in top state, Gunmen kidnap top North Central monarch's 2 wives, son as police begin search operation, 200 cool and famous dragon names, their meanings and origin. Thats when I realized that Canadians are strange. Or shot glasses at Spencers that have the phrase legalize eating *ss printed on them but Spencers has always been a rude, greasy-looking store, anyway. My Canadian squeamishness is long gone now of course. Hi. Chesterfield, that is a good one, I forgot about that one. In Canadian slang, a double-double is a type of coffee. That expression is used but not so common with the younger generation. . haha, thanks Steph. This cold region has unique slang with British, French, and indigenous influences. The classic Canadian insult. We drove from England to Mongolia with two Americans and they had never heard of the term clicks. Im Canadain and shes merican. And I like the way we say about.Canadians should start embracing the way we say about.