What about tracking navigation? It also provides schools with the resources to participate in the WACE endorsed end-to-end program and students to attain the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. How much food you need to take will depend on your metabolism, how long you are walking for, and which section of the track you are doing. The Bibbulmun Track is one of the longest continuously marked trails in Australia, stretching 963 kilometres from Kalamunda, 20 kilometres east of Perth, to Albany on the southern coast of Western Australia. Well be weighing out all our food and making decisions on menus based on the weight/calorie ratio ( and cost will have a small impact on decision-making), to ensure were carrying the most calorie efficient food. BT Day 34: Monadnocks to Mt Dale 889.5km (33.3km) June 21, 2021. Im just getting the blog off the ground so its good to hear somebody is finding it useful. Due to its size, the Track is divided into nine sections. Nowadays, I use an ultraviolet wand which doesnt affect the taste of the water. Id read an article about the newly aligned Bibbulmun Track that would be opening later in the year, but hadnt thought much more about it. The other participants spoke of travelling to exotic places or going on extravagant cruises. Mmm, difficult question! An Australian owned one-stop-shop for outdoor and adventure equipment! Pembertons first settler was Edward Brockman, the son of Perths first mayor, who moved to the area in 1861 to breed horses. Sending packages to yourself does make a bit of guess work. Location/temp range/specific trip description: Seems roughly 0 to 30 degrees C (32-86 degrees F), I'm not very sure though. What my heart chose surprised even me. Charting my travels around the world, one adventure at a time. I take a Sony A6000 camera, which I have attached to my backpack with a Peak Designs capture clip. With tips on how to create your ideal. The towns on the Bibbulmun Track are pretty spread out, with the greatest distance between two towns being 202 kilometres. The next thing I needed to do in preparation for hiking the Bibbulmun Track (see my previous blog for the background to this crazy idea!) Your email address will not be published. But its still an awesome pack with a really strong hip strap. There is no charge for accommodation and it cant be pre-booked, so if youre hiking for a long time or overnighting during a busy period (e.g. The Bibbulmun Track is one of the longest continuously marked trails in Australia, stretching 963 kilometres from Kalamunda, 20 kilometres east of Perth, to Albany on the southern coast of Western Australia. Where were the best opportunities to send parcels, such as to my accomodation spots or visitors centres? Im okay with sleeping on a hard surface (we are sleeping in a tent) but would you definitely recommend bringing one? The Bibbulmun Track can be tough so, go on take a walk on the wild side! Donnelly River Village only had a simple general store. If you want to experience the geological features, biodiversity and scenic beauty of this long-distance walking trail, the Section-by-Section guide on the excellent Bibbulmun Track Foundation website is a great place to start. Leave No Trace is all about promoting and inspiring responsible outdoor travel and recreation through education, research and partnerships. There's a chance of no water, with many days the temperatures up in the high 30's, and some days reaching 40C and beyond. You should always use this calculator in conjunction with the Bibbulmun Track maps and guidebooks as whilst the distances are a good guide, they are rounded to the nearest 100 metres. Rain and flooding can be a problem that time of year, but its generally nothing that cant be overcome with good rain gear and a positive attitude. Northcliffe had a great food cooperative selling bulk and local food that I wanted to support. You may be able to ship a resupply to the cafe, called the Three Ways Road House. You will need to take some sort of shelter, both for safety reasons (getting caught out inbetween the huts) and just because sometimes the huts do get full. Proud of your achievement. I took water purification tablets on my first hike, but the treated water tasted so foul I couldnt drink it! The only place you might need to plan ahead is the Kalamunda to Dwellingup section, where the only resupply point is the North Bannister Road House. Karri sleepers from Pemberton were also used in the early development of the London Underground and other railway lines in the UK. Able to buy peanut butter, tortilla flatbread and instant pasta meals like those kind of things? It may be several weeks before you arrive there on foot, so make sure your food parcel is water- and vermin-proof by packing the food in plastic bags, inside plastic boxes, inside another large plastic bag. My basic gear, not including food and water, weighed about 13 kilograms (see the list at the end of this blog). Maps, other guides and information on diversions can be found on the Bibbulmun Track Foundation website. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Create a website or blog at WordPress.com, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). Cheers! Pingerup Plains, the swamps comprising days . The next most important consideration for a long distance hike is your pack. Im trying to cut down on as much weight as possible. Testing out the Sawyer Filter in a murky Peak District stream. There are three-sided shelters with picnic tables, rainwater tanks, as well as dunnies with toilet bowls and sometimes even toilet paper. It will come in very useful when I finally get to do my own E2E. Our current plan involves only restocking at the towns, although we are also exploring the option of calling upon the Tracks Trail Angels to drop off food on some of the longer, 7+ day stints to reduce our pack weights. Follow the bright yellow waugyl through towering forests, over creeks and rivers, along wild beaches and up and over some impressive granite features. Leave No Trace builds awareness, appreciation and respect for our natural and cultural heritage. We have included all campsites, towns, recreation sites and legal vehicle access points as shown by the red car on the Bibbulmun Track maps and guidebooks. You can add to this if you like, but remember you will have to carry whatever you take! The track is officially measured as 1003 kilometres long, divided into 58 sections, each ending in either a town or a campsite. I used a pyramid tarp which gave me good all round protection although next time I would choose something with a smaller footprint. Thats it. Visitors can go four-wheel driving or mountain biking or fish for trout and marron. The next thing I needed to do in preparation for hiking the Bibbulmun Track (see my previous blog for the background to this crazy idea!) One thru-hike at a time. Make a note of where youve buried the food in your journal because youll be desperate for it when you eventually get there! As were planning on doing the entire 1,000 km in 45 days, well need to skip some of the huts and plan carefully so we can resupply and rest where possible. The karri tree is one of the tallest species in the world, reaching heights of ninety metres, and some of the tallest karri trees in the area were used as fire lookouts from the 1930s to the 1960s. I charge both from a portable battery pack, which usually lasts me between towns. Restocking food has been one of the biggest dilemmas for my hikes. Spring and autumn are the most popular times to walk the track, but winter is my favourite because I love seeing all the creeks and rivers in full flow. Hi Emma, This well blazed trail travels through many national parks and state forests with various terrain that ranges from dense forest to beautiful coastland. On my last 16-day section hike from Northcliffe to Albany, I lost 5 kilos and that was with a calorie-rich diet, while stuffing my face in each of the towns I visited. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Travel from Perth Airport to Fremantle for $4.50, What to take on a multi-day Bibbulmun Track hike. I took water purification tablets on my first hike, but the treated water tasted so foul I couldnt drink it! Definitely not perfect but I was trying! A range of tasty Back Country Cuisine meals are available in select stores along the Track. The facilities are world class compared to most long-distance trails around the world. I put together a list of distances from the details on the Bibbulmun Website today and a rough guide on how long I would potentially take, it's roughly based off your times but I've added a few extra days to sections as I won't be doing it as fast as you did. This would create the best variation and flexibility, encouraging me to explore the track towns and purchase local foods, while still predominately enjoying the same meals I would eat at home everyday!! I will definitely have to crack down on what I bring in order of importance. Should just bite the bullet and get one! After some months now of planning and preparing the walk is almost upon me. Youll be carrying your whole life on your back, so youll need to make sure you have the right equipment and supplies to make it work. There are eight towns along the way, where well be able to buy supplies, but other than that, well be relying on what we carry to keep us going. Bibbulmun Planner then met with a track veteran, "Wrong Way Jim" (eeeeekkk) at the Bibbulmun Track Foundation (BTF) to hone it further. You should always use this calculator in conjunction with the Bibbulmun Track maps and guidebooks as whilst the distances are a good guide, they are rounded to the nearest 100 metres. Next time I would dehydrate even more of my own food, specifically dinners if time allowed (they just worked out so well! These pages are bursting with information to help you have a safe and pleasant journey. The current incarnation of the Bibbulmun Track was opened to the public in September 1998. However, walking with too heavy a pack will also be uncomfortable. The Bibbulmun Track is one of Australia's famous long distance bush walking trails. Doing it sandals should surely count for more than a regular end-to-end. Megan, I find this very good sharing, especially on the resupply considerations that included supporting local businesses. The local food shop in Balingup had closed down. But how basic are these village stores? As a traveller from eastern side of Australia doing this hike in pieces wasn't an option. I have since found a fabulous tape called fixumol, which I put on my heels and toes at the start of a hike as a preventative measure and add more of as hot-spots begin to develop. The Bibbulmun Track is a long-distance walk trail in Western Australia.. For me, that meant getting a pair of custom orthotics from my podiatrist after experiencing some serious arch pain on multi-day hikes in the Darling Range. The best word to describe it is pleasant. This includes how to get there, highlights, interesting places, weather forecasts, Track conditions, the Track towns and photos. Of course, equally valid pursuits enjoyed by many visitors are eating, drinking and relaxing in nature! As you become more experienced you will get better at knowing what gear works for you. Good luck choosing one! If an access point is not shown here, then it is likely that it is not a permitted vehicle access point. Im passionate about the Bibb, and am forever encouraging others to give it a go. This occurs on the first stretch (on a north to south hike) between Kalamunda and Dwellingup and involves walking for at least 10 days with no opportunities to resupply. Photos featured on this site are courtesy of Tourism WA, Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, Doug Coughran, Colin Ingram, Peter Nicholas, L-A Shibish and Nature Play WA. Have booked to complete it later this year. How many days of food could I carry at a time? The Bibbulmun's Wagyl or Rainbow Serpent blaze. Then bury it. There are buses from all the main track towns to Perth or Albany in case we get injured and need to bail. It should be noted that access points shown with a green car on the official maps and guidebooks, are not included as they involve walking various distances along trails or forestry tracks to access the Bibbulmun Track. In 1913 timber mills were established in Pemberton to supply half a million sleepers for the Trans-Australian Railway line. To walk the whole track is an adventure in contrasts, where the reward for your hard work is to see the world change before you at the speed of a human being. Bibbulmun Track Food planning & resupplying on the Bibbulmun Track! But be warned, this is not a stroll in the park. Thanks for the feedback, really chuffed you liked it! Pictured here is an impressive Heath Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi). There certainly are! It may not have the most spectacular scenery for most of it, but it somehow wins the heart of everyone that hikes it for the pleasant experience. It is situated in a valley surrounded by karri forests, so its history is inextricably linked to forestry and logging. was to work out what to take with me. There are about 50 open sided shelters along the track, most a very easy day's walk . Spring (September to November) is the best time to walk the Bibbulmun Track. Ive never had a single blister since I started wearing Injinji toe socks as a liner, underneath thicker wool socks (in my case, Darn Toughs). The first version of the Track (from Kalamunda to Northcliffe) was marked in 1974, and named after a distinct Aboriginal language group, who inhabited some of the areas the Track passes through. Today, Pemberton has a population of just over a thousand people. The Bibbulmun Track takes hikers through the Karri trees of the southern forests | credit: Bibbulmun Track Foundation. So many! Hi! Glad you found my post useful. Since I started using this I havent had a blister. It won't be gourmet dining, but it will do the job. WA Parks Foundation Chair the Hon Kerry Sanderson AC CVO with Board Director Eva Skira AM hiking on the Bibbulmun Track. Shane Johnstone, who set out to break a record of WA's Bibbulmun Track, has finished the gruelling run well ahead of schedule.. Whether you want to walk for a couple of hours or a couple of months, the Bibbulmun Track provides the means to get away from it all and to experience the peace and beauty of south-west Australia. It is a great community of enthusiastic Bibb Track hikers, supporters and the Bibbulmun Track Foundation. Do you keep your phone on you? It was a useful meeting in that he gave some good key advice on certain sections and we spoke at length about the inlet crossings to be factored in. This includes how to get there, highlights, interesting places, weather forecasts, Track conditions, the Track towns and photos. Water is available from tanks at each of the 48 campsites along the. The Bibbulmun Track passes through Pemberton and we did two walks, totalling 7 hours. Bushwalk Australia and contributors 2007-2014. Plus purchasing a small amount of meals from the supermarket did still switch up my diet. It would have taken way to long and once I start something I'm driven to . Answering these questions helped me map out how manybreakfast, lunches, dinners & snacks I would need across the hike, & where they would potentially come from along the way. Is there anything else less essential you can leave out of your pack? Hi Ben, I did end to end over 10 years ago, agree with most of what you wrote but for your info, I passed a bloke wearing Dunlop volleys, an american wearing Teva sandals and socks and an Israeli carry a bag of rice. Walpole Denmark: Purchase all food in Walpole supermarket to reach Denmark, Denmark Albany: Purchase all food in Denmark shops/supermarket to reach Albany. Two of the original fire lookout trees can still be climbed by daring visitors. Tank water should be treated, either with a filter, a UV lamp or some chemical treatment method. Food can add considerably to the weight of one's backpack, significantly affecting the level of enjoyment experienced on the walk. Its designed to help decide which part of the 1000 km Track youd like to walk and to give you all the planning information you need. This is useful for working out how much food you will need for each section and for arranging to meet other people. Since I started using this I havent had a blister. Dont know why I packed them), and not enough dried fruit & nut snacks. You can add to this if you like, but remember you will have to carry whatever you take! It doesnt do much to help the toe nail situation though! Make a note of where youve buried the food in your journal because youll be desperate for it when you eventually get there! How do you keep it charged, do you have a solar charger of some sort? If you are doing more than a day walk on the Track, you will need to take a lot of equipment: sleeping gear, cooking equipment and food, a change of clothing, basic toiletries, a first aid kit and maybe a tent. However, we went there last weekend to hike on the Bibbulmun Track a 963km walking trail that stretches from Kalamunda in the eastern suburbs of Perth to Albany on the south coast of Western Australia.