"His many contributions to NASCAR racing have earned him a well-deserved induction to NASCAR's Hall of Fame, and his forward-thinking design of Iowa Speedway helped to create a destination in central Iowa that benefits every Iowan. The Standridge decal was carried on the C post of JDM Chevrolet's driven by #01-Landon Cassill who finished 12th, #4-Jeffrey Earnhardt (20th) and #87-Kevin Lepage (19th) at Darlington and will run in other races this year. "I admired Janet's determination and ability to stay focused during all the media hype and controversy that surrounded her, and I've always said by being the first she took all the bullets both straight on and in her back. "I just don't know what to do now," he said. Ron Hornaday is currently not competing in NASCAR, but the four-time champion appears to be as busy as ever. (WSLS)(6-23-2016), Dave Blaney Ready To Return From Injury: former NASCAR driver Dave Blaney is looking forward to getting back into the cockpit of the Motter Equipment Mohawk Northeast Beltline Body Shop #71M sprint car Tuesday, to join the Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions at Sharon Speedway. In 1998, as part of its 50th anniversary celebration, NASCAR gathered a panel to select the "50 Greatest NASCAR Drivers of All Time." For a list of active NASCAR drivers, see List of NASCAR drivers. And at Darlington, he wasn't about to change. My dad is one tough guy. The event was also highlighted with a special performance by legendary singer, pianist and composer Elton John. He had 234 career Cup starts with 88 top-10 finishes. (NASCAR.com)(7-14-2015) "I love driving and I don't think I can get that out of me," Nadeau said. Allison is a long-time friend of "The Golden Boy," a friendship that dates back to the start of Allison's career in the 1960s. While Wallace knows every inch of the 2.5-mile tri-oval from his NASCAR competition, he only competed once on the 3.56-mile road course when he made his lone Rolex 24 At Daytona start in 2006. He began suffering early in 2002, lacking energy and enduring headaches, fatigue and nausea. "Jeff Gordon has been a tremendous ambassador of motorsports, NASCAR and North Carolina," said McCrory. The Drivers Walk of Fame, located in the sidewalks of Watkins Glen, honors the drivers who have competed in Watkins Glen events since the first race in 1948. "I was doing it for the fun of it. He took first place in the Daytona 500 in 1964, 1966, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1979, and 1981. More information at icktricklememorialproject.com. Three cars entered by the JD Motorsports with Gary Keller team in Friday's VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 Nationwide Series race at Darlington Raceway carried decals honoring Billy Standridge. He was airlifted to Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in critical condition with a moderate to severe head injury, partially collapsed left lung, fractured shoulder blade and left-side rib-cage injuries. . The following is a list of drivers who are currently competing in a series sanctioned by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR). The news brought criticism from Brad Keselowski about the nature of concussion diagnosis. from 4-5 pm/et. Getting my immune system built up and getting toxins out of my body and the cancer, I'm really feeling good and feeling good about the whole situation. A recent Saturday night outing at Fayetteville Motor Speedway indicated as much -- the top three in the Open Wheel Modified division were built by Hornaday Race Cars. McCrory participated in the Winner's Circle awards luncheon in Charlotte Monday as part of the three-day Governor's Conference on Tourism. All statistics used in these tables are as of the end of the 2022 Bank of America Roval 400. A LifeFlight helicopter was on site but wasn't needed to transport Blaney to a local hospital. The program utilizes professional motorsport vehicle data acquisition systems to minimize the learning curve, allowing participants to advance their skills quicker than any other driving school. In recent years, Wallace has been able to capitalize on his charismatic personality and racing experience in becoming a NASCAR analyst for FOX Sports. Wallace won 55 Sprint Cup races in a career that stretched from 1980 to 2005. 4 - Tony Stewart. Clint Bowyer, a Fox Sports analyst and former NASCAR Cup Series driver, was involved in a car accident in Missouri last week in which he struck and killed a woman who was walking on a highway,. We've had a good car here several times, but for whatever reason we didn't win it." Yates "My dad is hanging tough. At that time, Bodine didn't feel that would be his last start in NASCAR, but he now is saying he will retire from the sport due to a number of factors. Frye recalled Nadeau's pride in working with David Gilliland, leading up to Gilliland's breakthrough 2006 Nationwide Series victory at Kentucky Speedway. The NASCAR Hall of Famer said he was able to participate in last weekend's festivities at Darlington Raceway without restriction, joining the NBC Sports booth to broadcast a portion of Sunday's Bojangles' Southern 500. I'm more active now than ever. Retired NASCAR driver Tom Pistone would know a few things about cautionary measures. "I had some problems that most people don't have after open heart surgery so I made my doctors work extra hard but they saved my life. You'd think a guy that good would be trying to line up on the starting grid for the centennial edition of the Indy 500. Trickle, a central Wisconsin resident and stock car racer, died by suicide May 16, 2013, in Iron Station, NC at the age of 71. However the oldest part time NASCAR Driver is Boris Said at 59 years old. "He put nothing off-limits and encouraged the people to speak honestly," says Garner. 18 Yacco Toyota for RDV Competition. This year, the proceeds from the event will benefit Habitat for Humanity. He gets excited when we start racing, so he's ready for us to get to Daytona. He has great grip with his left hand, so we are very much encouraged. During his time behind the wheel of the Miller Lite machine, Wallace earned 39 victories. I can't thank Miller Lite, ESPN and Team Penske enough for giving me this opportunity. (Lewiston Sun Journal)(9-22-2012), Junior Johnson's house auctioned off: A Lewisville woman who has deep roots in the North Carolina Christmas tree industry was the winning bidder for Junior Johnson's mansion and farm situated just north of the Iredell County line. Martin bought the home a little over three years ago for $2 million. Jarrett said that a biopsy was performed in January after dermatologists discovered a spot on his left arm during a check-up. Others receiving votes were: former drivers L.D. 90 Ford of owner Junie Donlavey. The Stock Car Hall of Fame and Rotary Club of Daytona Beach West are proud and honored to assist in raising funds for this amazing cause. ("The Company") is scheduled to commence pre-production in late 2014 and filming in early 2015. The four-time Indianapolis 500 winner's stay was his longest ever-a total of 25 days from when he was admitted Nov. 7 with chest pains. "They had already started chemotherapy and they'll resume that and some radiation treatment," Wright Pond said. It's hard to believe this day is here. Dale Earnhardt Jr. retired at age 43, and Clint Bowyer retired at 41 to take a job in television. "Dale Jr.'s situation kind of pushed me into making this decision," he said. At the end of the season, he was the points champion. The race honors the late Lettow, a former standout ASA crew chief who mentored many young drivers. This is the first time a NASCAR Cup Series will take place in the St. Louis area, and is expected to bring 83,000 fans and $60 million . The 2015 edition of the world-renowned extreme sports competition will be held at Circuit of the Americas, home to the Formula One United States Grand Prix. Iowa Speedway is a state-of-the-art 7/8 mile asphalt paved tri-oval race track and motorsports facility located just 30 miles east of Des Moines at I-80 Exit 168 in Newton, Iowa. (FoxSports)(4-14-2016), What's up with Ron Hornaday? He also was a participant in the State Games after an All-Northwestern Conference season and a second-round appearance in the state playoffs. Call 1-866-RUSTY-GO, or visit www.iowaspeedway.com to learn more. He was named on 95 percent of the ballots cast by the NMPA membership. "You want to throw up but can't; your head is pounding; you feel awful." He was taken by ground to a local hospital and was awake and alert, according to a track spokesperson. I've been on my bulldozer a couple times. Richard Petty Honorable Mentions FAQ "Ironically, two of the best years I ever had in racing was driving a Buick. We raced to 11th place. Nadeau still suffers from depression. "In three weeks I will be 60 years old and I do struggle with memory loss, with things in my brain I know probably came from some of those concussions, that's what I've been told," said Jarrett, who retired from racing in 2008. Spokeswoman Anne Fornoro says Foyt was released from Baylor-St. Luke's Medical Center on Tuesday and is recovering at home. Kyle Busch 7. frcs.pro. Nadeau suffered a traumatic brain injury, four broken ribs and a collapsed lung. He is a member of the staff at Heritage Chevrolet in Chester. Bodine said he received a wake-up call last month when Dale Earnhardt Jr. sat out two NASCAR Sprint Cup races because of a concussion. The Bo-Dyn Bobsled Project, created by former NASCAR driver Geoff Bodine, has provided bobsleds to the U.S. team for two decades and also refurbished them. Sundays Will Never Be the Same opens with a heart-stopping account of that dramatic race. The program's custom data acquisition systems record driver inputs such as throttle, steering, and braking; along with other vehicle parameters such as engine RPM, vehicle speed, and accelerations. Browse through latest information on your favorite NASCAR Cup drivers, including full biographies, latest news, high-res photos and high quality videos. In fact, Austin Dillon, Tyler Reddick, and Ross Chastain raced twice on the same day when the weather in Fontana, California, forced NASCAR to stack the Xfinity race on top of the Cup Series race an hour apart last Sunday. Foyt Undergoes Successful Triple Bypass Surgery: Four-time Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500 winner and former NASCAR team owner A.J. Monday his son Doug was asked how he's doing during a Ford conference call: You're so unpopular with the fans. Their accomplishments are the benchmark that much of our history is identified by. Martin said when he hit the Springfield track in the 70s that he thought he had made it to the big time. Miller Lite and Team Penske began their over two decade long relationship with Rusty Wallace driving the storied No. He is second on the all-time wins list with 105 victories and won three championships -- in 1966, '68 and '69, before retiring in 1989. Jimmie Johnson As time passes, his accomplishments will be further revered. This weekend not only marks the second anniversary of Trickle's death, but also the second annual Dick Trickle Memorial Celebration at the Rudolph Community Park, the site where the building of the memorial is underway. Waltrip, a NASCAR Hall of Famer, lead analyst on NASCAR for FOX and Franklin resident, opened his Honda dealership in 1985. We're talking about racing and it's already been a great year this year there's been a lot of things going on and that's going to continue as the Chase gets closer and the pressure gets built up for the teams. I wasn't worried about racing, I was worried about dying." Would I have gone to heaven? Bobby Allison and his late son Davey were inducted into the city's walk of fame on Thursday evening. When it didn't sell, Johnson decided to auction it. Spencer also competed on several other NASCAR circuits. In addition to his work on the track and with teen drivers, Nadeau has also been focused on reaching out to others who have suffered a traumatic brain injury. Retrieved 2020-09-04. (Charlotte Observer)(3-14-2015), Darrell Waltrip speaks at National Prayer Breakfast: On his birthday, NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip gave the keynote address at the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday morning in Washington, DC, addressing a crowd that included President Barack Obama, the Dalai Lama and 4,000 attendees from 170 countries. I had Chip call him up and that was really special to me and gave him some more encouragement, but I appreciate you asking about him and hopefully he'll get through this thing. I wanted to be king, but I went at it all the wrong ways," Waltrip said. Derrike Cope is a well-known NASCAR driver who has a few cup series wins under his belt. NASCAR Drivers - All Current and Former NASCAR Drivers Championships Drivers Trending 1 Formula 1 12 h Vettel could be option for surprise Aston Martin F1 return 2 Plus Formula 1 13 h. Jerry Nadeau does not live in the past. Plans call for the Hall of Fame's displays featuring cars, images, stories and bronze sculptures of 209 icons of American motorsports to be located in the Daytona International Speedway Ticket and Tours Building, which was formerly known as the "DAYTONA 500 Experience." The short answer to the "where is" question for Sadler is: He's on his farm, a bucolic spread outside his hometown of Emporia, Virginia. I was just very lucky. "To go into the National Motorsports Press Association with Ricky Rudd is very special for me personally because of his important contributions to both RCR and the sport of NASCAR racing as a whole. This led him to the Cup Series championship in 1973, 21 career victories and recognition as one of NASCAR's 50 greatest drivers. He rebuilt the wrecked '57 Chevy with the blown engine and began winning dirt-track races at Natural Bridge Speedway in western Virginia. "Historical Driver Database of NASCAR Cup Series Drivers 1949 - 2020", "NASCAR Statistics and Results [DriverAverages.com]", "Racing-Reference.info - Race Results and Driver Statistics for NASCAR and more! Look for the American Muscle Car Driving Experience on Reed Sorenson's Sprint Cup Series #36 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and at Dover International Speedway on September 28th. (WCNC)(11-29-2016), Rusty Wallace to compete in 2016 Finali Mondiali: NASCAR Hall of Famer Rusty Wallace is going to return to the driver's seat for the upcoming Ferrari Finali Mondiali on Dec. 1-4 at Daytona International Speedway. "(Richmond Times Dispatch)(9-7-2014), Rusty Wallace inducted in Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Former NASCAR driver Rusty Wallace was one of seven men inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America on Wednesday. He also ran the Late Model Sportsman circuit and in 1982, Ard competed in 52 events, winning 16 times and finishing in the top five 41 times. Trickle, 71, died May 16 in Iron Station, N.C. "Dick deserves it," said longtime friend and fellow racer Tom Reffner, 73, of Rudolph. The 60 minute documentary was filmed and edited by Kingsport Times-News reporter Jeff Bobo and includes interviews with many of Bethea's NASCAR racing contemporaries including retired racers Paul Lewis, John A. Utsman, active Nationwide Series driver Brad Teague, and engine builder Stanley Allison. And the fingers on that hand wouldn't respond. He goes mountain biking almost every day and the family - which consists of his wife of 36 years, Linda, and 20-year-old son Landon - often travels to the Virgin Islands with his sisters and their families. Driving the #22 Cunningham Motorsports Ford, Kyle Weatherman charged in front of Dominic Ursetta on the final lap to finish second. (hometracks.nascar.com)[Read More Here](5-31-2017), Construction of Dick Trickle memorial continues: A bronze statue of Dick Trickle will wave to visitors in front of two curved walls featuring inscriptions, photographs and a dedication at the community park in Rudolph. Jarrett was declared cancer-free after completion of the program. In 2012, the Green Grandstand was renamed the Bodine Grandstand in recognition of contributions to The Glen by Geoff and younger brothers Todd and Brett. On the Road to Glory is in exhibit from February 1 thru May 19, 2013 at the Elmhurst Historical Museum . It was much more personal. After retiring from racing, Pond got into automotive sales. Marlin told The Daily Herald in Columbia that the fire that started Friday morning destroyed his 2,500-square-foot garage in Maury County and three cars that belonged to his son-in-law, Michael House. Foyt was scheduled to be the grand marshal Saturday at Daytona International Speedway. "We're excited to get back into night five of Ohio Sprint Speedweek competition," said Blaney. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Charlotte Motor Speedway was always my favorite race track. Between his 33 starts in the 500, Marcis became one of NASCAR's most prolific drivers, making 883 career starts, behind only Petty (1,185), Ricky Rudd (906) and Terry Labonte (890). Newman claimed his only . NASCAR's leadership has done remarkable things to make a dangerous sport as safe as possible. GPS and video-overlay technology is also used to map out racing lines and to make comparisons to our professional instructors. If teams contributed a small percentage of that money each year to a pool for retired or disabled drivers in need, fewer retired or disabled drivers would be in need. Homes will be priced from $350,000 to $500,000. "My family and I are thrilled to have this film produced by Posse Films," Bobby Allison said in a recent statement. And he's a proud father in the stands at her gymnastics meets. "I've got a great wife," Nadeau said. Next: Top 10 NASCAR drivers of all-time With a rich history that includes two Pettys, an Earnhardt, an Allison and a Wallace plus 74 wins for a legendary IndyCar and NASCAR owner named. Nicknamed the "Silver Fox" for his sly, quick moves on the track and his prematurely graying hair, ?Pearson is considered by some to be the greatest NASCAR driver of all time. (Iowa Speedway)(3-1-2013), On the Road to Glory: Fred Lorenzen: Fred Lorenzen The story of NASCAR legend and Elmhurst (IL) native Fred Lorenzen comes to life through photos, artifacts, and exciting race footage depicting a little-known local hero who etched his name in the annals of racing history. This has been a hard time but the support has lifted my spirits. NASCAR drivers at all levels - Sprint Cup, Nationwide, World Camping Truck, K&N Pro Series - are independent contractors. Named one of NASCAR's 50 greatest drivers of all time in 1998, in 2011 he was enshrined . The movie project will be based on Bobby Allison's rise to the top of NASCAR as a three-time Daytona 500 winner, followed by a crash that ended Bobby's career at 50 years of age. Elliott, who had to test at Pocono beforehand just to be eligible to enter the race, is a few months younger than Shelby Howard was when Howard won at Kansas Speedway in 2003. Ward will race at Daytona because Jeb is not yet qualified to run at Daytona. 3 - Jimmie Johnson. Ned Jarrett Photo credit: Ted Van Pelt American retired racer and two-time NASCAR winning champion, Ned Jarrett, is an established figure in NASCAR. The overall Spirit Award for 2016 will be announced in January. (Associated Press)(4-27-2013) "I still love racing, everything about it, and would still be doing it if I could," Nadeau said. "We'd like to hear from Benny's fans who might be interested in contributing to the project." Hutchison presented Allison with two proclamations honoring him and his son. After the Rolex standing there in Victory Lane with Dave and Raj (Nair) and the guys from Ford and Chip Ganassi. The Washington . The occasion coincides with the 25th anniversary of Wallace's 1989 championship and the approaching 40th anniversary of the original Miller Lite beer. But when a family friend offered him a shot at taking the wheel of a stock car, Rudd headed down a different track - one that would propel the Chesapeake native toward a racing career as one of NASCAR's most successful drivers. This exhibit is supported by Chicagoland Speedway. Schrader, 59, won for the first time at Salem since 1999 (and first ARCA win since 2013 at DuQuoin, IL), picking up his 18th all-time ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards victory (in 74 races). Jimmie Johnson is retiring. The 46-year-old Jimmie is a legend, having competed in the NTT IndyCar Series. He went on to form World Karting Endurance at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and has done some driver coaching, but never raced again in NASCAR. Trickle is survived by Delores Iwanski of Waukesha, Chuck Trickle of Las Vegas, Sue Trickle of Minneapolis, and Duaine Trickle of Plover. Her ninth-place finish in the 1978 Indianapolis 500, with a team she formed and managed, was the best by a woman until 2005. "When I got hurt, I tried to drive that racecar at a Sprint Cup level while I was hurt. "There are no limitations," Jarrett said. His first victories came in 1986 with Raymond Beadle's Blue Max Racing team and he won the 1989 Sprint Cup championship after holding off Dale Earnhardt. Foyt has been hospitalized in Houston for complications from knee surgery and will skip the 50th anniversary of the Rolex 24 at Daytona. "(ARCA)(6-9-2013), Ten years since Nadeau's injury UPDATE: NASCAR's annual spring visit to Richmond International Raceway marks the 10-year anniversary of Jerry Nadeau's near fatal accident at the track. (Sports Illustrated)(5-13-2016), Dave Blaney injured at Eldora: Former NASCAR driver Dave Blaney, father of Sprint Cup rookie Ryan Blaney, was transported to an Ohio hospital Friday night after crashing during qualifying at Eldora Speedway, a track spokesperson told NBC Sports. In the year following his stint with RCR, Skinner found himself racing for Morgan-McClure Motorsports, piloting the #4 car. NOTE: do NOT have any email addresses All statistics used in these tables are as of the end of the 2021 NASCAR GP Italy (Race 12/12). (PR)(12-5-2014), Foyt remains hospitalized: Four-time Indianapolis 500 winner A.J. So he's carting the whole gang along back to Indy for this year's 500 to ride in the parade and revel in many, many other pre-race festivities. (Fayetteville Observer)(2-17-2012), New Darrell Waltrip Book released: NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip knew that big changes were in the wind on the morning of February 18, 2001. "I thought I was a pretty good guy, but folks, let me tell you something. He will be represented by his son, Richard Petty, at the ceremony. Due to her good looks and style, she is also a . In 1975 he made history again, starting the World 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway and becoming one of only seven African Americans to compete at NASCAR's highest level, now known as the Sprint Cup Series. Foyt is expected to make a full recovery but his doctors have explained to him that it may take longer than he is anticipating. Johnson started NASCAR racing in 2001 and retired in 2020. Rusty Wallace, the 1989 champion of NASCAR's premier series and a NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee, came out of retirement for the weekend and finished 10th in the 27-car Trofeo Pirelli field, driving for the Risi Competizione/Ferrari of Houston. (Atlanta Journal Constitution)(10-1-2014), Lee Petty and Harry Gant to be honored: Lee Petty and Harry Gant will have N.C. Auto Racing Hall Of Fame in-ground plaques dedicated to the two NASCAR legends in an Oct. 8 ceremony in Mooresville, NC. Every U.S. president since Eisenhower has participated. I want to go to Germany and I'm going to Switzerland. Kurt Busch has retired, Johnson is still mostly retired and Kevin Harvick has already announced that 2023 will be his last season behind the wheel of Cup car before he moves to the TV booth. Foyt will be in the hospital for several days. I don't think NASCAR would get upset about that. Jarrett was voted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2011, the second group of five chosen for enshrinement. (2-13-2014) Admission to the Meet & Greet with Bobby Allison is free (donations welcome), and limited on-site parking is available. Table of Contents Who Are the Wealthiest NASCAR Drivers? Martin also captured two NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race wins, in 1998 and 2005, and six NASCAR XFINITY Series victories at the speedway. NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers (as of February 1998), Last edited on 30 December 2022, at 21:21, List of all-time NASCAR Cup Series winners, List of members of the NASCAR Hall of Fame, The Inside Groove.com Historical NASCAR Image Gallery, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=NASCAR%27s_50_Greatest_Drivers&oldid=1130570646, * = Deceased before February 1998 ceremony, ** = Deceased after February 1998 ceremony, This page was last edited on 30 December 2022, at 21:21. For services and visitation info or leave a comment at the blog set up by Billy's family, go to: Billy's Battle, a site for posting and sharing information for Billy Standridge. Records earned from 2009-2011 when the series was still called Racecar Euro Series (before NASCAR's acquisition of the series in 2012) will not be included to the statistics. The son of NASCAR Hall of Famer Buck Baker, the 6-foot-6 Baker was known as the "Gentle Giant" during his racing days. The lost star power. I'll get to do some gardening, but that isn't all I am going to do. (Wallace PR)(8-1-2015), Buddy Baker facing death with predictable courage: Buddy Baker is facing the end of his life with the same courage he demonstrated during a long NASCAR career, when he sometimes drove at more than 200 mph. He will be in the hospital a few days and is expected to be released later this week," said Winston Kelley, executive director of the NASCAR Hall. The campaign runs until midnight Tuesday night. He finished second overall in the standings five separate times, including his first in 1990, and developed a reputation as the "best driver to never win a championship." Martin took part in 882 races over his 31-year Cup career, winning 40 and . A shop worker who was inside the garage when the fire stared was treated at the scene for minor injuries. We wish him a speedy recovery and his on-air status is day to day. "I went this year to one of the greatest weekends in racing, the Chili Bowl," Nadeau said. Top 15 Richest NASCAR Drivers. (Wisconsin Rapids Tribune)(5-16-2015), Schrader wins ARCA race at Salem: Ken Schrader held onto the lead during several late-race restarts and pulled away from the rest of the field to win Sunday's Federated Auto Parts 200 at Salem Speedway. During his time in the #2 Miller-sponsored car, the former Penske Racing driver accumulated 37 wins, 145 top-five finishes, 252 top-10 results, while leading a total of 15,012 laps. All statistics used in these tables are as of the end of the 2019 Icebreaker 150 (Race 3/16). JD Motorsports owner Johnny Davis formerly worked for Standridge as a crew chief, engine builder, truck driver and all-around mechanic. "Mark and his team at Posse Films are like family to us, and I know we can trust them with our story." Foyt has been released from a Houston hospital more than three weeks after triple-bypass heart surgery. I've had a few concussions -- I've had a lot, actually -- from go-karts to modifieds to sports cars to the Cup series. She has established herself as one of the hottest racing drivers, as well as one of the hottest female athletes in general. He is a little sore but going to be okay probably already watching dirtvision".