Determined to meet his cousin at that Brooklyn dock, he arrived only to find that his cousin was killed on board the Goodfellow during the hurricane. } A charming and wondrous enchantment of a novel Sunday, February 14, 2021 Michelle Newby Lancaster HISTORICAL FICTION Lynda Rutledge West with Giraffes: A Novel Lake Union Publishing Hardcover (also available as an e-book, an audiobook, on audio CD, and in paperback), 978-1-5420-2174-6, 356 pgs., $24.95 February 1, 2021 Empower curiosity about the people, places, and stories of our past. They find it in two giraffes who miraculously survive a hurricane while crossing the Atlantic. it was the main character that i could not bring myself to like. giraffes - Find news stories, facts, pictures and video about giraffes - Page 1 | Newser The storm totaled about 26,000 automobiles and blew over 20,000 electrical poles. Horseneck beach was changed forever!!! One of the giraffes is hurt and the cage is crushed around her. The blurb describes this book so accurately, that I don't want to repeat it. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. margin-left: 6px; They were on their way to San Diego Zoo in California. This improbable, but fact-based, story of two giraffes transported cross country in what was basically an over-balanced flatbed truck made me laugh, cry. A storm formed in the eastern Atlantic near the Cape Verde Islands on September 4, 1938, and headed west. } body.custom-background { background-color: #505050; } How do you mess up a story about two giraffes, an orphaned boy, a hurricane, and a cross country trip? A Cherry & Webb employee drowned during the Hurricane of 1938 while trying to rescue the stores furs in the Providence stores [], [] waves in the hopes ofreaching the Pendleton, an oil tanker that had snapped in two during the fierce storm. Reporters in the cities and towns theywent through wrote amusing anecdotes about seeing them on the road, the giraffes peering out of their tall windows at the scenery and cars around them. Lynda Rutledge, a lifelong animal lover, has had the joy of petting baby rhinos, snorkeling with endangered turtles, and strolling with a tower of giraffes as a freelance journalist while winning awards for her fiction. In 1938, the merchant steamer SS Robin Goodfellow was caught in the Great New England Hurricane. 1997. Sign up for the Wisconsin Historical Society Newsletter, 1996-2023 Wisconsin Historical Society, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706, Giraffe Transport with International D-40 Truck | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society, International Harvester Company : Photo albums, circa 1899-1965, William Donahey's Teenie Weenies - Image Gallery Essay, Breweries, Beer and Bars in Wisconsin History - Image Gallery Essay, Men stand around an International D-40 truck used to transport two giraffes. On Feb. 12, 1937 a striking, unique photograph of Abraham Lincoln was published for the first time on the front page of the Evening Tribune in San Diego. Photo courtesy Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection. Benchley recalled, I have never seen anyone so tired and relieved as Charley Smith when he drove the great awkward truck through the zoo gate, half an hour after phoning me from a suburb. Charley Smith was certainly the man for the job. 2016. The story begins with a centenarian named Woodrow Wilson Woody Nickel sitting in his nursing home watching a TV documentary on the near extinction of giraffes and other endangered species in Africa. We were on the water with the waves crashing over us, and part of the house still attached, one of the walls still attached to this piece of floor, and it almost acted as a sail.. border: none; 1999. The storm forced the Connecticut River over its banks, inundating cities and towns with floodwater. Day and Night. San Diego Zoo Centennial Timeline: 1938. https://www.sandiegozoowildlifealliance.org/timeline/1938/1938/ (accessed 2/9/2021). Woody Nickel is 105 years old when he hears the news that giraffes may be going extinct. Her writing is clever and imaginative. No more Maple Groves, no barn, the cows were standing in what used to be their stalls.. . [], [] This story was updated in 2018. Glover/Barton VT to be precise. But when they underestimated an approaching hurricane, at least 250 luckless World War I vets died, caught in the path of the most. [] department store employees could be fiercely loyal. I dont know how I was led to this book.Thank you to whomever suggested it. It touched me more deeply than anything Ive read in years!! In 1938, America was looking for a feel-good tale to help them through the threat of Hitler in Europe and the continuing Great Depression. I headed to San Diego and their new zoo, where Id heard that the animals get treated better than the people. This book has a special place in my heart. Total cost of the storm for the East End of Long Island alone was estimated to be $6.2 million (1938) Almost 50 . Based on true events, this adventurous historical novel is the story of 17 year old Woody, the giraffes known as "Boy" and "Girl", the "Old Man" and a host of other characters met on their travels. . The storm, which originated near the Cape Verde Islands and had previously intensified to a Category 5 hurricane near the Bahamas, pummeled Southern New England with sustained hurricane-force winds and caused . In 1938, the merchant steamer SS Robin Goodfellow was caught in the Great New England Hurricane. One of the 19,000 buildings destroyed by the hurricane. At 8:15 pm electric power went out and with it the fire . About 700 people died 75 years ago when the storm known variously as the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 or the Long Island Express began plowing up the Northeast coastline at 2:45 p.m. on. This was on his retirement day. mastro's downtown los angeles opening date. I remember water lines painted on telco poles along the Merrimack river. Westward ho! San Diego Zoo keeper Charley Smith and driver Ed Seuss were also at the dock, having made their way to New York to collect the giraffes. could that giraffe have been a descendant of Lofty and Patches? When they finally were in their new house, a picturesque building that resembles a fairy-tale illustration, every connected with the job was ready to fall apart except Mr. and Mrs. Has some interesting accounts from people and some.good photos. The first part of their journey involved sailingaboard a ship from Africa. Clinics then ran out of typhoid vaccine. .pf-button-img { It turned out to be the storm surge, topped by waves 30 and 50 feet high. West with Giraffes. Behind the wheel is the young Dust Bowl rowdy Woodrow. Of course, I knew your zoo history background already, so I was delighted to see your additions to this beautiful story. 27 febrero, 2023 . Images in the Public Domain are carefully selected and provide illustration. Giraffe. Above, the steamship Monhegansits at a pier in Providence after sinking during the hurricane. Benchley also once caught a rattlesnake by grabbing it by the back of the head. train station pub happy hour 1938 hurricane giraffes. Those Giraffes, caught in a storm that killed hundreds of people, were en route to San Diego, California, and the storm was only the beginning of their cross-country journey. The Great 1938 Hurricane pushed the Tulip onto land. Sold! San Diego's Hurricane Giraffes | In 1938, the merchant steamer SS Robin Goodfellow was caught in the Great New England Hurricane. From the Archives: Chinese spy balloon sparks echos of Japanese balloon bombs during WWII. . In October 1938 the first breeding pair of giraffes arrived at the San Diego Zoo from east Africa. One of those books that make you not want to even start another cuz. The Great Depression lingers. At times, he spoke with folksie colloquialisms and the next sentence seemed to be constructed with the aid of a thesaurus. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Fred Ghent and Ray Sheldon were honest men who made a mistake. Check out our new community for fans and supporters! Gawky Giraffes to Leave Athenia Today for Coast. Paterson (N.J.) News (October 10, 1938): 35. West with Giraffes, a novel by Lynda Rutledge, gripped my attention from beginning to end. My mom was 16 and lived in New Bedford on Acusnet ave.(not sure of the spelling) with her mom and dad. Stephenson, Lynda Rutledge. From 5 p.m. to 9 a.m., we rebroadcast the morning and afternoon stream. The hurricane blew the house pictured above onto railroad tracks. Thank you for this! Lion Country . A San Diego judge had a defendants 13-year-old daughter handcuffed. Im going to include a part of the blurb that enticed me to listen to this wonderful audiobook: From the beginning, this remembrance of a few short weeks of one mans life captured both my attention and my heart. Lofty and Patches lived at the San Diego Zoo for nearly 30 years. The original caption reads: "7 negatives of D-40 International sold to San Diego zoo to transport 2 giraffes across the continent from New York. Get help and learn more about the design. Im so glad you enjoyed it! .printfriendly.pf-alignleft { Charles A. Smith, head keeper at the zoo, was putting in that time devising ways and means of getting them into crates and on to a San Diego city truck for the last lap home. It destroyed cemeteries, slammed boats into shore, uprooted entire orchards and smashed structures into splinters. Found your piece on the Giraffes through researching the question So, is it true? as our Buddy read group was working its way through West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge. After loading the giraffes onto the truck, they headed to the U.S. Isadore Jachman and the Battle of Dead Mans Ridge, Christmas Flowers and Foreign Wars: Joel Roberts Poinsett, Best of The History Guy: Christmas History, Air Raid on Bari: the Little Pearl Harbor.. oh, those sky-high eyes of theirs. Inspiration struck, and the result is this charming and wondrous enchantment of a novel. .figcaption {font-size: 75%;} Weakened by age, racing against a clock, hallucinating, writing long hand, I could not believe that a writer would include details about billboards, flying birds, the physical look of hotels and camp grounds. You can purchase the bow tie worn in this episode at The Tie Bar: https://www.thetiebar.com/?utm_campaign=BowtieLove\u0026utm_medium=YouTube\u0026utm_source=LanceGeigerAll events are portrayed in historical context and for educational purposes. If you love history, this is the channel to support! It was the voice of the narrator that I struggled with. Good story line well written. The events of the twelve-day cross-country drive are difficult to decipher outside of what Smith revealed to journalists and The Boss Lady. He did not keep a journal, so Lynda Rutledge takes creative license to fill in the blanks for us. He remembered the 38, too! 1938, near the Cape Verde Islands. However, as soon as she was upright the crew could see that her left rear ankle was severely injured. The physiological demands of that long neck get support from a gene involved in strengthening bones and blood vessels, researchers find after inserting the sequence in mice. The peculiar travelers were a sensation everywhere they wentand their story provided some much-needed humor and enjoyment for a nation still struggling from the Depression. Looks like a granny, dresses like a schoolmarm, swears like a sailor, and still charms snooty zoo galoots with their fancy educations. Rutledge even includes reference to Benchleys encounter with an escaped baboon. The 1938 New England Hurricane (also referred to as the Great New England Hurricane and the Long Island Express Hurricane) [1] [2] was one of the deadliest and most destructive tropical cyclones to strike Long Island, New York, and New England. And how to do it quickly enough so it didnt set off tremendous forest fires? The Northern Kraft Paper Mill in Howland, Maine. If you like history too, this is the channel for you. It's 1938. Volume 1: The Founding Era, 19161953. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The keepers and other staff members would visit her daily; [s]ometimes as many as eight would come during the same day or evening, she recalled. Official Guide Book of the San Diego Zoo. She indeed fills our imagination with a journey full of colorful characters, tall tales, and deep secrets. What follows is a twelve-day road trip in a custom truck to deliver Southern California's first giraffes to the San Diego Zoo. . @media screen { On the other side of the pond, Hitler was invading Eastern Europe, so the combined stress of world events and personal troubles were briefly assuaged by the sight of the traveling giraffes. DeLeon, Clark. She also had a vocabulary that she kept in reserve that the [former] circus men could understand. The keepers came to call her Boss. She let them know that she admired their work, and responded to her with both respect and affection. I highly recommend the book: Sudden Sea by R. A. Scotti. 1997. Staff would often sneak in some of the animals when visiting herbaby foxes, binturongs, and other small mammals . Hitler is threatening Europe, and world-weary Americans long for wonder. February 27, 2023 alexandra bonefas scott No Comments . text-decoration: none; Sometimes the men even stopped under appropriate food trees and let Lofty and Patchesstretch stretch their necks up for an afternoon snack. But Charley Smith couldnt start the journey to San Diego just yet. War, recession and lousy farmland created other ghost [], [] would ever be picked and that no ax ever be used. Red was an aspiring photojournalist trying to sell her giraffe story to Life magazine. Westerly, a bastion of quiet old wealth, never quite regained its prestige after the Great 1938 Hurricane. [], [] Sailing master Joseph Kemp compared the Portland Gale to the Great Hurricane of 1938. 100 Years of the San Diego Zoo. vertical-align: middle; The Great 1938 Hurricane inflicted tremendous damage on shipping. The XVIII Winter Olympics opened in Nagano, Japan 25 years ago. } There were many reasons giraffes were hard to come by for America's first zoos. First pair of giraffes, "Lofty" and "Patches," arrive at the Zoo in 1938 (see photo, right). Making The History Guy takes time, effort, and equipment. It brought down 20,000 miles of power and telephone lines. The main produce from that farm was Maple Sap and Dairy. The storm developed near the Cape Verde Islands on September 9, tracking across the Atlantic and up the Eastern Seaboard. } Benchley, Belle J. https://teespring.com/stores/the-history-guy. box-shadow: none; Thank you so much for the feedback! Non censuram. Its closest relative is the okapi. In the novel West with Giraffes, Woody Nickel, is a seventeen-year-old dirt-farm rowdy, pure as a cow pie, cunning as a wild hog bound to escape the Texas Panhandle (and any law enforcement that might be looking for him). A treasure for sure. Enjoy this live view of the African Plains habitat that comes to you from the Kijamii Overlook at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. That isn't much compared to what Hurricane Harvey did to Houston last month, dumping up to 50 inches of rain, but our hills and narrow valleys channel the water, producing much . The storm soaked an unknown number of pants. Giraffes Proud Parents at the San Diego Zoo. Los Angeles Times (August 28, 1952): 15. It took a week to restore power in Provincetown, and 200 men spent a week trying to open the roads to Newport, R.I. does the dog die in hondo; dhgate marc jacobs dupe; natural scents for candles. This is original content based on research by The History Guy. z-index: 1000; position: relative that's really only 2-1/2 stars. Explore Jim Widmer's photographs of the Friday fish fry dinner tradition in Wisconsin. font-size: 14px !important; They never have kept house together before, and just o make sure they do not kick the daylights out of each otherand make the Zoos $7500 investment worth no more than the current quotation on dead giraffesthe animals were shown to separate apartments for the time being. The 45-mile drive from Brooklyn to the quarantine facility through flooded and debris-ridden streets, avoiding potentially low-rise overpasses, was certainly a true test of how the giraffes might handle a drive across the country, which in fact had never been done before with the towering creatures. West with Giraffes is an endearing, and also heart-rending piece of historical fiction. } Giraffes. I want to confirm my idea that Woody was the father of little Augie, who was the one who received his foot locker after his death with the porcelain gifaffe. Cleaning up timber damaged by the Great 1938 Hurricane took years. Theyve seen the world. Upon hearing that the giraffes were bound for San Diego, Woody became determined to follow them to the land of milk and honey and begin a new life. The hurricane wiped away entire communities, altered the shoreline of Long Island, washed away bridges, severed train service between New York and Boston and between cities in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Lofty and Patches became national figures when they made the last lap. Eighty-mile-an-hour winds lashed the coast and the torrential downpour caused rivers and streams to overflow. Giraffes at Lion Country Safari remained outdoors and kept their heads down during Hurricane Irma. They were instant successes, and beloved by staff and visitors alike. I would give this book ten stars if possible. Taken on September 22, 1938, the day after the category-3 "Great Hurricane" of 1938 struck Old Lyme, the image focuses on the upturned roots of a monumental tree that dwarfs the wood-framed house behind it. img.pf-button-img + .pf-button-text { where is the serial number on vera bradley luggage. Traveling shows displayed them as early as 1837; however, they were difficult to capture and transport, making them expensive to procure. If you liked. Melanie says: In 1938, two giraffes bound for the San Diego zoo survived a hurricane at sea and a cross-country trip by truck. 1938 1939 LIFE Magazine October 10, 1938 LIFE Magazine October 10, 1938 Legion Drum Majoretts $ 39.99 9 in stock Add to cart SKU: 113-810-1000 Categories: LIFE Magazines, LIFE Magazines 1930's, LIFE Magazines 1938 Tag: Description Additional information Description 2016. https://www.sandiegozoo100.org/100-animals/lofty-and-patches. The crates holding giraffes Lofty and Patches are loaded onto the truck from the ship in New York, 1938. . Upon discovering that two of the passengers were giraffes, a whole new set of stories quickly developed. She had red curls all over her head, a fiery halo of raging waves she surely battled into submission every morning, and she was wearing trousersthe first woman Id ever seen doing so in real life. Just when Woody thought this crazy girl had stopped following them, the green Packard would come roaring into view. Rutledge, Lynda. Ive fibbed a bit over the years and told people I was born during the great 1938 hurricane, the hospital lights were out, and the doctor slapped the wrong end, which was the beginning of all my troubles. The country had endured a Great Depression, filling the landscape with Hoovervilles and shantytowns, WPA and CCC projects, and migrants searching for a better life. Photo courtesy Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection. : https://thehistoryguyguild.locals.com/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHistoryGuyYT/Please send suggestions for future episodes: Suggestions@TheHistoryGuy.net. Rhode Island got the worst of it. On board the ship were some unique passengers: two Giraffes. The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 - Damage Photos Weather.gov > New York, NY > The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 - Damage Photos Current Hazards Current Conditions Radar Forecasts Rivers and Lakes Climate and Past Weather Local Programs The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 82nd Anniversary - September 21, 1938 View this selection of cartoons by William Donahey. News of the storm-tossed ship had reached reporters, and they gathered on the dock to get the story. What follows is a twelve-day road trip in a custom truck to become Southern California's first giraffes. Life Magazine is a photographic magazine chronicling the 20th Century. Smith spent a few days easing her into the crate while attempting not to spook her, and getting kicked in return. I have been recommending it to everyone! As I looked for more historical information, I found your page. Two giraffes (later to be called Lofty and Patches) travelled to New York surviving a hurricane at sea. A very rewarding read. Wendy Eckart. San Diego Zoo. Charlestown, R.I., lost a bit more: 160 out of 200 homes were annihilated. On board the ship were some unique passengers: two Giraffes. In 1947, the mill still used wood cut from trees downed by the Great 1938 hurricane. Few paid attention to the stormbarreling up the coast. If youd like to read about a wild ride one family took during the storm, click here. The Modern Ark: The Story of Zoos: Past, Present and Future. After examination and treatment, Schroeder deemed the giraffe worth saving and cleared her to make the trip. Based on a true story of two giraffes going by truck from New York City to the San Diego Zoo in 1938, this is a gol' durned good road-trip yarn. She was presumed dead while every precaution was taken to protect the male. So, although he cant speak, falls out of his wheelchair, isnt eating, he commits this story in sprawling detail to the pages of notebooks. From the Archives: In 1958 interview 18-year-old Raquel had heart set on professional acting career, From the Archives: San Diego Air & Space Museum opened 60 years ago, From the Archives: Advice for Valentines parties from 1923, From the Archives: Rare Lincoln photograph came to light in San Diego in 1937, From the Archives: War on wild drivers waged in San Diego 100 years ago, From the Archives: The Nagano Olympic Games opened 25 years ago, From the Archives: A view of La Mesa 125 years ago, Protest held after medical examiner rules inmates death a homicide, Romanian citizen arrested on suspicion of stealing more than $5M in COVID relief funds, Two women suffer major injuries after head-on collision in Lake Murray-area, Man suffers major injuries after car hits ice patch on road, overturns in Ramona, San Diego Roman Catholic diocese facing yet another lawsuit now from its own insurance company.